Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: School shootings

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    GBH said pretty much the same thing in 1999 and we didn't see much impact.

LDS leader says limit gun access
    Arms, mental illness don't mix, he says

Might be different this time. Our favorite Utah legislator is on the case!

House Speaker Hughes: Utah lawmakers plan to hit accelerator on bills to prevent school shootings
    Also, GBH said he would do away with sports at byu. Too bad he couldn't fulfill that goal..

Since this is due to the Fallout with the NRA

Yowza (he’s the Lt Governor of Georgia)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if I were running for Gov. of Georgia (which he apparently is), I would not pick a fight with Delta.

He should just do it the Utah way. Call for an audit.

Lol

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    if I were running for Gov. of Georgia (which he apparently is), I would not pick a fight with Delta.

He should just do it the Utah way. Call for an audit.
    Delta, a private company, brings billions to Georgia in tax revenue every year, and this bonehead thinks he can strongarm them over $50M/year in tax breaks?

Delta don't even need to respond. This guy is done politically, and Delta will still be in Atlanta in 50 years.

This is a thoughtful piece from The Atlantic -- at least to me, a non-gun owner.

What Critics Don't Understand About Gun Culture

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is a thoughtful piece from The Atlantic -- at least to me, a non-gun owner.
    "
    In just the last five years, we’ve faced multiple threats—so much so that neighbors have expressed concern for our safety, and theirs.
    "

How is it that some people can attract so many spy-thriller like hitmen?
    There really needs to be some kind of citizen registry, so people can pass along the word when these characters move into their neighborhoods.

School shootings

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    "
    In just the last five years, we’ve faced multiple threats—so much so that neighbors have expressed concern for our safety, and theirs.
    "

How is it that some people can attract so many spy-thriller like hitmen?
    There really needs to be some kind of citizen registry, so people can pass along the word when these characters move into their neighborhoods.
    I know him and his wife. He’s a writer and conservative pundit and vocally anti-Trump. Also they are white, live in rural Tennessee, and adopted a black African baby about 8 years ago. His family has been threatened. He didn’t go into all that in this piece, but that’s the backstory.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I think the effort to find a single “bad guy“ to blame the shooting on is really unfortunate and unproductive, but this is an interesting article about part of the overall patchwork of failures that led to the murders in Florida.

Behind Cruz’s Rampage: Obama’s School-Leniency Policy

https://www.realclearinvestigations...._shooting.html

--Yeats

“But I believe, on moral, practical and constitutional grounds, that no private citizen should own an automatic weapon or a semi-automatic weapon that can easily be modified for automatic effects. These are military weapons. Their purpose is to kill human beings. They’re not used for hunting (unless you want to destroy the animal’s meat). They’re lousy for target shooting. But they’re excellent tools for mass murder.”

— Retired Army officer and conservative pundit Ralph Peters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....-everyone/amp/

--Yeats

“But I believe, on moral, practical and constitutional grounds, that no private citizen should own an automatic weapon or a semi-automatic weapon that can easily be modified for automatic effects. These are military weapons. Their purpose is to kill human beings. They’re not used for hunting (unless you want to destroy the animal’s meat). They’re lousy for target shooting. But they’re excellent tools for mass murder.”

— Retired Army officer and conservative pundit Ralph Peters.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nypost....-everyone/amp/
    And this is the debate that never gets a resolution.

For this argument second amendment supporters will always say “it doesn’t matter what we’ve developed”.

But I have a very hard time believing those who wrote the second amendment had any clue we’d develop a gun that can fire thousands of rounds a minute. Or guns and ammunition that can penetrate armor like butter.

I think the effort to find a single “bad guy“ to blame the shooting on is really unfortunate and unproductive, but this is an interesting article about part of the overall patchwork of failures that led to the murders in Florida.

Behind Cruz’s Rampage: Obama’s School-Leniency Policy

https://www.realclearinvestigations...._shooting.html
    It's pretty clear this particular kid was disturbed enough he shouldn't have been in school. And he wasn't. Then he loaded up on entirely legal military grade weaponry and came back, armed to the hilt.

But the "leniency strategy" has been quite effective in turning around lots of kids who've been labeled as problems, whether it's because their parents work 2-3 jobs and don't speak English, or kids who are at risk for going the "Tupac route" vs finding some traction in more achievement-oriented after school programs, etc.

My wife teaches math at a Title I school where most of the kids qualify for subsidized school breakfast / lunch / early dinner. (Suffice it to say the traditional Utah assumption that stay-at-home moms can take turns augmenting the teacher in 35+ student classes like I grew up with doesn't apply well when 5-8 of parents out of 175 students show up for parent-teacher conferences, but that's another topic.)

My wife has become expert at "flipping" kids who act out, expecting to be punished or expelled, and instead find a respectful, encouraging, challenging response, from a person who looks more like them than most of the teachers fresh out of college who are looking for easier teaching jobs at schools where the demographics provide kids who don't really need much teaching, let alone mentoring.

Does her approach work all the time? Of course not. But she regularly gets kids who come back from the high school (and college) and thank her for helping them go in a different direction.

The leniency approach is intended to break the cycle of kids self-segregating into the gangsta track, or the "I wanna baby in 9th grade" track.

Another perspective:

By ditching the NRA, companies are dividing Americans

https://nypost.com/2018/03/03/by-dit...ing-americans/

--Yeats

Another perspective:

LOL. I just read the headline, but what a headline! The onion is awesome.

Another perspective:

The NRA has 5 million members, in a nation of 315 million. It's hard to imagine an organization with more outsized power than they wield. (Perhaps Israel's lobby in the US Congress.)

There were 15 individuals who took advantage of Delta's NRA member discount, and Delta just got handed a $40 million penalty from the State of Georgia, who revoked their jet fuel tax break.

On paper, this was a massive miscalculation by Delta

But multiple states have quickly responded with friendly offers to have Delta relocate from Atlanta, including NY and Virginia, whose public pitch was "Virginia is for lovers... and for airline hubs".

Now, seriously, Delta is highly unlikely to uproot from Atlanta.

But Delta is hardly rookies in the national political circus, have already been dragged into the fray by Trump seeking to slap a 300% tariff on Delta's one hundred new CS-300 jetliners they bought from Bombardier... just in the past several weeks.

My hunch is Delta is counting on the very high polling numbers of Americans thinking *SOMETHING* needs to be done about guns, and the NRA's absolutist stance taking heat, from even buttoned down companies like Delta.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 03-04-2018 at 10:55 AM.

The NRA has 5 million members, in a nation of 315 million. It's hard to imagine an organization with more outsized power than they wield. (Perhaps Israel's lobby in the US Congress.)
    The NRA is also the primary lobbyist for the consumer gun industry, which is worth around $50B in annual sales. The 'members' are just the justification for the organization's tax status.

School shootings

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    LOL. I just read the headline, but what a headline! The onion is awesome.
    Whoops. You just performed unintentional self-parody, AJ.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.

--Yeats

School shootings

There were 15 individuals who took advantage of Delta's NRA member discount, and Delta just got handed a $40 million penalty from the State of Georgia, who revoked their jet fuel tax break.

On paper, this was a massive miscalculation by Delta

But multiple states have quickly responded with friendly offers to have Delta relocate from Atlanta, including NY and Virginia, whose public pitch was "Virginia is for lovers... and for airline hubs".

Now, seriously, Delta is highly unlikely to uproot from Atlanta.

But Delta is hardly rookies in the national political circus, have already been dragged into the fray by Trump seeking to slap a 300% tariff on Delta's one hundred new CS-300 jetliners they bought from Bombardier... just in the past several weeks.

My hunch is Delta is counting on the very high polling numbers of Americans thinking *SOMETHING* needs to be done about guns, and the NRA's absolutist stance taking heat, from even buttoned down companies like Delta.
    I’m not an NRA member and think many of their positions are extreme and unhelpful. I would say the same about many anti-gun organizations and their lobbyists. I just don’t like the left’s habit of demonizing their ideological opponents. It doesn’t help rational discourse. Boycotts against members of lawful organizations that are engaged in political speech (NRA members, not the NRA itself) and the inevitable related virtue-signaling (like Delta’s) are just as unhelpful.

--Yeats

This is depressing:

“Those who advocate for gun control have an immediate answer — the prevalence of guns in the United States. Yet guns have been part of the fabric of American life for the entire history of our republic. Mass shootings — especially the most deadly mass shootings — are a far more recent phenomenon. Writing in 2015, Malcolm Gladwell wrote what I think is still the best explanation for modern American mass shootings, and it’s easily the least comforting. At the risk of oversimplifying a complex argument, essentially he argues that each mass shooting lowers the threshold for the next. He argues, we are in the midst of a slow-motion ‘riot’ of mass shootings, with the Columbine shooting in many ways the key triggering event.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/why-do-mass-shootings-happen-best-explanation/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

--Yeats

This is depressing:

“Those who advocate for gun control have an immediate answer — the prevalence of guns in the United States. Yet guns have been part of the fabric of American life for the entire history of our republic. Mass shootings — especially the most deadly mass shootings — are a far more recent phenomenon. Writing in 2015, Malcolm Gladwell wrote what I think is still the best explanation for modern American mass shootings, and it’s easily the least comforting. At the risk of oversimplifying a complex argument, essentially he argues that each mass shooting lowers the threshold for the next. He argues, we are in the midst of a slow-motion ‘riot’ of mass shootings, with the Columbine shooting in many ways the key triggering event.”

https://www.nationalreview.com/corner/why-do-mass-shootings-happen-best-explanation/amp/?__twitter_impression=true
    If each mass shooting lowers a symbolic threshold, maybe a dramatic piece of gun control legislation could be a symbolic wake up call. Riots do end, people stop breaking windows and stealing stuff, and the threshold counter is re-set to 1. If we are in the midst of a slow motion riot, we need to figure out how to end the riot. Gun control laws are a natural place to start. I am not particularly optimistic about gun control, but it is ridiculous not to try.

School shootings

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If each mass shooting lowers a symbolic threshold, maybe a dramatic piece of gun control legislation could be a symbolic wake up call. Riots do end, people stop breaking windows and stealing stuff, and the threshold counter is re-set to 1. If we are in the midst of a slow motion riot, we need to figure out how to end the riot. Gun control laws are a natural place to start. I am not particularly optimistic about gun control, but it is ridiculous not to try.
    I think we could start by making it much harder for mentally ill people to get access to guns, and making it harder for people generally to acquire military-style rifles. I don’t know how to achieve those goals, but an effort would be nice. The problem is that neither side trusts the other. It seems to me that the lack of trust on both sides is probably justified, because of the absolutist elements on both sides. So this is a bigger problem than just coming up with the right policy.

Last edited by LA Ute; 05-20-2018 at 04:45 PM.

--Yeats

Interesting thoughts here.

After Texas school shooting, how can we inoculate ourselves against the next one?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...umn/627183002/

--Yeats

I think we could start by making it much harder for mentally ill people to get access to guns, and making it harder for people generally to acquire military-style rifles. I don’t know how to achieve those goals, but an effort would be nice. The problem is that neither side trusts the other. It seems to me that the lack of trust on both sides is probably justified, because of the absolutist elements on both sides. So this is a bigger problem than just coming up with the right policy.

I've had this discussion with my dad, and he's firmly against even either of those. He's not even a member of the NRA.

The way he sees it, the first is a slippery slope to denying anyone from getting a gun, and the second is a slippery slope to limiting guns in general.

How School Shootings Changed Their Classrooms
    By BARBARA MARCOLINI and NEETI UPADHYE

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/100...ion=title-area

https://www.sfgate.com/news/crime/ar...s-13779827.php

Columbine wasn't the beginning, but, it kinda feels like it for those that don't remember the Texas tower shooting well. 20 years ago, tomorrow.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

Columbine wasn't the beginning, but, it kinda feels like it for those that don't remember the Texas tower shooting well. 20 years ago, tomorrow.
    which means that today is the anniversary of Tim McVeigh OKC courthouse and David Koresh/Waco.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post

My kids were out of school on Wed because some loon obsessed with Columbine got on a plane from Florida, came here to CO and purchased a gun. The schools felt like it was enough of a threat to close until she was no longer a threat (killed herself in the mountains). Crazy though.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Lauren McCluskey’s parents filed a $56M wrongful death suit against the university today. If Diehard is still hanging around here, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the whole story, how university police apparently dropped the ball as she had called a more than 20 times asking them to do something, and finally, the university’s utter lack of responsibility in the months following.

I realize that this only one side of the story so any insight for the other side would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Lauren McCluskey’s parents filed a $56M wrongful death suit against the university today. If Diehard is still hanging around here, I would love to hear some of your thoughts on the whole story, how university police apparently dropped the ball as she had called a more than 20 times asking them to do something, and finally, the university’s utter lack of responsibility in the months following.

I realize that this only one side of the story so any insight for the other side would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I can’t go into that case, sorry.

One thing of note however. They actually filed a Title IX lawsuit. So this is a federal case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro