Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Football Recruiting

2019 Football Recruiting

We just completed the 2018 recruiting season. Some changes ahead for 2019. Moving forward, players will be able to take official visits the summer after their junior seasons. In the past, official visits could not be taken until after Sept. 1 of their senior seasons. It will be interesting to watch how this impacts recruiting. A player's senior season is hardly taken into account in recruiting these days unless the kid is injured or has a bad year. That senior season can hurt you, but it isn't able to help you as most schools have identified their targets by summer after the junior year.

The person who writes BlockU has an early look at some 2019 prospects.

https://www.blocku.com/2018/2/18/169...source=twitter

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    We just completed the 2018 recruiting season. Some changes ahead for 2019. Moving forward, players will be able to take official visits the summer after their junior seasons. In the past, official visits could not be taken until after Sept. 1 of their senior seasons. It will be interesting to watch how this impacts recruiting. A player's senior season is hardly taken into account in recruiting these days unless the kid is injured or has a bad year. That senior season can hurt you, but it isn't able to help you as most schools have identified their targets by summer after the junior year.

I know we all dread end of season transfers but we've both been hurt and benefited by transfers. Its the new norm.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

It’s always seems pretty crazy to limit official visits to the time of year that these kids totally enveloped in their high school seasons. I really like this new rule to help them enjoy their official visits more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    It’s always seems pretty crazy to limit official visits to the time of year that these kids totally enveloped in their high school seasons. I really like this new rule to help them enjoy their official visits more.

I agree. Also, isn't there a really powerful high school in southern cal that doesn't allow visits during the season, thus not allowing their kids to do their visits until their season ends (usually in the middle to end of December)? This allows those kids more time to visit schools and make a good decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I agree. Also, isn't there a really powerful high school in southern cal that doesn't allow visits during the season, thus not allowing their kids to do their visits until their season ends (usually in the middle to end of December)? This allows those kids more time to visit schools and make a good decision.
    i can see where it might be good for recruits. If I’m a college coach I would rather have a kid visit the week before signing day than the previous May or June. Also, with limits on how many official visits a school can provide (I think it is about 40), I think schools will be very cautious with early visits. It is something new that will be interesting to watch.

new DL transfer from Hawaii

So he would be the second 6'7 DL we have on our team in addition to the kid that is the RM from Oregon St., right? We might lead the nation in blocked PATs the next few years!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So he would be the second 6'7 DL we have on our team in addition to the kid that is the RM from Oregon St., right? We might lead the nation in blocked PATs the next few years!
    The Oregon state kid will be an OL.

Stop ruining my fun!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Stop ruining my fun!
    Ha ha. I’m sorry! Could you imagine two basketball sized DE?

Or, on the FG unit, have them line up behind the DT and then do the running, jump over the tackles and jump up to block the kick?

Actually, why not put a couple WR’s there and do that? Those guys are all getting taller and taller.

OL and special teams (I'm kidding, but it wouldn't shock me to see him get thrown out there in kicking situations). Moala blocked a bunch of kicks for Hawaii last year. Plus the Oregon State kid's last name is Moala, too, so they would look cool lining up next to each other. We could send the pair of them out there on FG and extra points and scare the crap out of opposing kickers.

That would be awesome. Do something weird, like paint half a face on one and the other half on the other.

Second big o-line commit this week.

Second big o-line commit this week.

he'll make a great corner in a couple years

Not a super surprise except maybe coming early, but Puka Nacua committed to USC tonight.

Not a super surprise except maybe coming early, but Puka Nacua committed to USC tonight.

Better now than the night before signing day.

We played him on a 7 on 7 tournament this summer. Yeah, the kid is very talented. Unfortunate that we lost him.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

He has good size for a DB. 6'1", 190 lbs. Ranks No. 162 nationally among cornerbacks. Kyle and Co. will coach him up.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He has good size for a DB. 6'1", 190 lbs. Ranks No. 162 nationally among cornerbacks. Kyle and Co. will coach him up.
    Are we at a point where other P5 coaches see something like this and think "Wait, Whitt offered this kid? What does he see that we missed?"

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Are we at a point where other P5 coaches see something like this and think "Wait, Whitt offered this kid? What does he see that we missed?"
    Julian Blackmon had an offer from Weber St., and I think that is it. Now I'm reading about NFL scouts sniffing around. So, in Whitt everyone should trust!

Blackmon could be a first-round pick next year. Likely top three rounds. When the U signed him I kept hearing about how much the staff loved him and I kind of rolled my eyes because of his lack of offers and 2* rating. Apparently the staff knows what it's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Blackmon could be a first-round pick next year. Likely top three rounds. When the U signed him I kept hearing about how much the staff loved him and I kind of rolled my eyes because of his lack of offers and 2* rating. Apparently the staff knows what it's doing.
    I don't think we can expect that kind of result out of every 2*, but the staff has definitely earned the right to take swings on players they think are hidden gems.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Seems like they would be smart to think that way.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Seems like they would be smart to think that way.
    There's nothing to Whit's methodology. He just waits until the Y offers, and then he follows up. At least I've heard that somewhere (over and over again).

2019 Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    There's nothing to Whit's methodology. He just waits until the Y offers, and then he follows up. At least I've heard that somewhere (over and over again).
    You forgot the part where the only recruits the U gets that way are the ones who “aren’t BYU material.”
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-02-2018 at 02:47 PM.

--Yeats

We picked up a RB commit out of California today.

We picked up a RB commit out of California today.

247Sports says he had offers from USC and Oregon too.

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Mi...ruitInterests/

Utes grab commitment of 4* 6’8” wide receiver. Which is great in and of itself, but he’s also high school teammates with 4* Elite 11 QB Jayden Daniels, who is also strongly considering Utah.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...nes-120874690/