Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Football Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This one makes sense. ASU is losing their senior QB. It's a perfect opening for this kid.
    Except he is the 3rd qb to commit to ASU so far.

Snap! In that case, they're all idiots. Why is athletic ability so often inversely proportional to logical reasoning skills? I'm sure we'll see 1-2 of them transfer within a year.
    You could probably Google "ASU coed" and get a pretty good read on this situation.

Look, here's the deal with recruiting for Utah. It's not pretty, but as long as Kyle is at the helm we can rest assured that it will be decent enough.

TL;DR; don't follow recruiting, other than signing day. I learned the hard way.

It's really simple, bad offensive coordinator/QB coach will result in bad recruiting at the QB position.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    It's really simple, bad offensive coordinator/QB coach will result in bad recruiting at the QB position.
    I thought we had turned the corner on that; that Troy Taylor was well respected in hs coaching circles, particularly in Cali, and that was a big reason Daniels was highly interested. I heard he and Taylor had a very good rapport. I certainly hope that is the case going forward.

UCLA started a freshamn this year; i assume that is the reason Daniels didn't go there. Once he saw Shelley flourish, maybe he thought the same thing here. And his mother didnt like the U, according to the rumor board.

We obvioulsy need a big recruit next year. If worse comes to worst, maybe we can recruit a grad transfer, like Minshaw, Vernon Adams, or Russell Wilson. Next year should also give us a good sense whether Taylor is highly regarded or not.

I still think we'll get a solid QB recruit this year, either from the HS ranks or as a transfer. There are some potential flips out there, and QBs are always transfering. I hope they go hard after Hank Bachmeier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I still think we'll get a solid QB recruit this year, either from the HS ranks or as a transfer. There are some potential flips out there, and QBs are always transfering. I hope they go hard after Hank Bachmeier.
    I read last week that both the U and Cal likely would go after Bachmeier if they didnt get Daniels.

Have we had bad recruiting at the QB position? We signed Huntley and Tuttle.

I don't know why this guy signed if ASU already signed two other QBs. I wonder if either of them will change their mind.

I know they say you should sign a QB every year, but I don't see how that's possible any more. Every good QB wants to start immediately now. I think maybe the rules are changing. Why would someone sign with us now when we have both Huntley and Shelley?
    Dennis Erickson signed Huntley. T Squared couldn't even keep Tuttle around for more than half a season. One of his responsibilities is to ensure that his position group and kids like Tuttle stick around.

You absolutely should sign a qb every class.

Why would someone want to sign with Utah now when we have both Huntley and Shelly you ask. Huntley is a Sr. next year and Shelly is 5'11 and looked awful his last two starts. That is why. Part of the reason why he looked so bad was because of the the horrible game plan his OC put together for him. In 2020, the QB battle is wide open.

Sure, but the best QB recruits are looking to start in 2019. I'm sure we'll sign someone, like Scratch said.
    We are never going to sign the best. The best should only be the top 5 to 10. Those guys aren't coming to Utah. I don't even want to waste my time on them. Those guys are going to Bama, UGA, Michigan, tOSU, USC, Florida, Texas, OU and programs in that tier. #11 on down should be looking at learning for a year and finding a good situation. 2020 at Utah is a good situation to take over the starting position. 2020 at Utah is also a bad situation because we are incapable of developing a mediocre passing game.

In football, the leveler is that a great quarterback prospect is anybody’s guess. They’re s hard to predict.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    In football, the leveler is that a great quarterback prospect is anybody’s guess. They’re s hard to predict.
    As all the " where are they now" articles from the last five Elite 11 combines can attest

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    You could probably Google "ASU coed" and get a pretty good read on this situation.
    The fact that there are 30k+ single ladies is a nice feature.
    Last edited by NorthwestUteFan; 12-13-2018 at 08:58 PM.

It's almost as if recruiting is an inexact science.....

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    The fact that there are 30k+ single ladies is a nice feature.
    *30,000+ single ladies with nice features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    It's almost as if recruiting is an inexact science.....
    We’re talking about the special problem of recruiting quarterbacks and that fortunately for a program like Utah, given its pecking order, quarterbacks are usually a mystery.

But Krystkowiak’s failure to offer Childs wasn’t an exercise of judgment. It was negligence. Other than that, however, I don’t have a problem with his recruiting. Utah has never won by outrecruiting its competition. Recruiting is not the problem with this coach, it seems.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Weíre talking about the special problem of recruiting quarterbacks and that fortunately for a program like Utah, given its pecking order, quarterbacks are usually a mystery.

But Krystkowiakís failure to offer Childs wasnít an exercise of judgment. It was negligence. Other than that, however, I donít have a problem with his recruiting. Utah has never won by outrecruiting its competition. Recruiting is not the problem with this coach, it seems.
    You are correct on most points, but wrong on Childs. Coming out of high school he was about 6'6" 180# soaking wet, and had no outside shot. He developed at byu into a really nice player, but that wasn't obvious 5 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    You are correct on most points, but wrong on Childs. Coming out of high school he was about 6'6" 180# soaking wet, and had no outside shot. He developed at byu into a really nice player, but that wasn't obvious 5 years ago.
    I'm busting Seattle's balls, but I agree with you. And to prove it, I went back through the old basketball recruiting thread from that time. Hardly anyone even mentioned him. No one, at any point, not even good old Seattle, argued that not recruiting him would be a mistake.

I digress.

SOunds like our 6'8 receiver wont be coming after all? (ASU flip or juco from what I see on twitter.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

It was bad enough to lose to ASU the way we did, then lose out on Daniels, and now they are poaching our commits! I hope we crush them next year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    It was bad enough to lose to ASU the way we did, then lose out on Daniels, and now they are poaching our commits! I hope we crush them next year!!!
    Unfortunately, ASU owns us. Next year lines up well for us but....... ASU has had Whit's #.

2019 Football Recruiting

I can't help but think that Utah is a sleeping giant that an elite QB could come and wake. Get an excellent offense with our defense (which I already think is elite) and you are knocking on some exciting NY6 prospects.

Last edited by Rocker Ute; 12-15-2018 at 08:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I can't help but think that Utah is a sleeping giant that an elite QB could come and wake. Get an excellent offense with our defense (which I already think is elite) and you are knocking on some exiting NY6 prospects.

100% agree, but also need one elite receiver

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    100% agree, but also need one elite receiver

Nice to have some good news at the end of the week.
    These two posts are related, happily.

Go Utes!

This could be the best recruiting news of all, although not technically recruiting:

Alex Markham@AMarkhamRivalsFollowingFollowing
    @AMarkhamRivals

I’m hearing promising reports from a few sources that all #UteNation juniors that have NFL potential are planning on returning, especially Leki Fotu. Of course Zack Moss’ situation could be termed as “fluid,” but this is a big deal for the #UBoyz & @Utah_Football in 2019.

Signing party for the early period goes down tomorrow. Doesnít seem to be much buzz going into the day. Maybe thatís just Utahís MO over the years. Kyle said that he expects to sign about 75% of the class tomorrow.

Hereís who we have committed:
    Darren Jones- DJ seems to have some academic issues that heís trying to get sorted out. Will not be signing anywhere tomorrow. Blair Angilo was on ESPN 700 today and didnít think that DJ was that motivated to stay teamed up with Jayden Daniels, so maybe he pulls it out and stick with Utah. I wonít be holding my breath.
    Marist Talavou
    Lacarea Pleasant-Johnson- Blair said that he thought this might be the steal of the class and expects him to be really good.
    Micah Bernard
    Donte Banton
    Junior Tafuna
    Luke Felix-Fualalo
    Falcon Kaumatule
    LaColby Tucker
    Aaron Lowe-Mr Lowe has announced on Twitter about 75 times that heís 110% committed. He may be this yearís version of Hamilton.
    Ben Lennon

As for surprise signees, Iím not sure. According to 247, the top three players in the state of Utah this year are:
    Samson Nacua- still committed to USC But is taking his time and doesnít plan on signing until February. Maybe we can hire his dad as our next OC.
    Siaki Ika- Still uncommitted But we wonít have to wait too long as he intends to announce tomorrow at 7 a.m. Very warm on Utah. Utah, USC, Oregon, Florida and LSU. LSU seems to be the expectation.
    Chase Roberts- this one surprised me a bit as I didnít think he was ranked so high. Committed to BYU. Visited Utah two weeks ago. Been committed to BYU for a long time but getting more attention lately. I think he stays now that the Cougars.
    The next three ranked kids are Binghamís defensive line. Taufuna, Pepa and Langi. Crystal Ball has them all as Utes.

Ika to LSU.

Game day in Death Valley is arguably THE greatest experience in all of football, NFL included.

Boise, aka Paradise...I wish that was true.
    Anyone have more info on the "very interesting" recruiting story Whittingham eluded to in his presser?

Sent from my LM-Q710(FGN) using Tapatalk
    "We're pretty damn good," -- Coach John Pease

So how'd we do? As expected?
    this may delay my calling an election made sure candidacy but is anyone else as relieved as I am when none of today's signees are mission bound?

although according to Steve Bartle, Utah's players leaving on missions aren't signing till Feb

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    this may delay my calling an election made sure candidacy but is anyone else as relieved as I am when none of today's signees are mission bound?

I with you on that. Unfortunately, without missions, I believe we would have three more signees today. The Bingham three plan on going on missions right out of high school. They may "sign" in February, but we won't see them for a bit.