Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 119

Thread: Hirings and Firings

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Dan Hurley officially hired at UCONN.

    La Salle has fired its coach. Tim Legler, who went there, has emerged as a candidate for the job. Why is this noteworthy? Well, WSU opened against an A-10 opponent in the Wooden Classic last year, so we may get La Salle!
    Rumors swirling that front runner for Utah State job is Craig Smith at South Dakota. I have met him. Home run hire by the Aggies in my opinion.

  2. #32
    Jeff Capel to Pittsburgh.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  3. #33
    Ernie Kent out at Wazzu.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-14-2019 at 07:57 PM.
    The future of the past is now!

  4. #34
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  5. #35
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,443
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Here you go:

    mharlan@utah.edu

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It will only cost you a cool 12.75 million to get rid of the current guy.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  7. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    He seems to be the hot mid-major. But there will always be hot mid majors for schools like Utah to gamble on. The Utes will improve next season, and then, with Tillman a senior, Allen a junior, and Rylan a sophomore, Utah will make the tournament with a good seed in 2021. At that point, Harlan will extend Larry.

    Who is UCLA going to hire? Who is even on the list?

    I would offer Bennett. I would offer Dana Altman. Maybe Greg Marshall. Maybe Fred Hoiberg. Of course Calipari and Few just to be sure.

    All of those guys probably turn UCLA down. Then what? All the big name assistants have been taken the past few seasons. Who's a successful P5 who could take a step up? Buzz Williams? Chris Beard? Matt Painter? After that, UCLA would have to reach for a mid major coach who has not had sustained success or an NBA coach/assistant.

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It will only cost you a cool 12.75 million to get rid of the current guy.
    Has anyone on message boards or the sports pages of the Tribune or Deseret News actually read this contract? Look, whatever the buy out is, like LK’s salary it woudn’t be paid by the university anyway.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Has anyone on message boards or the sports pages of the Tribune or Deseret News actually read this contract? Look, whatever the buy out is, like LK’s salary it woudn’t be paid by the university anyway.
    I have not because I know what you know - we aren't keeping him because of a buyout. If it were his time to go, we'd can him.

  10. #40
    Scott Van Pelt did an interesting piece on Tom Izzo and his yelling at one of his freshmen players that apparently garnered attention. He pointed out that Izzo is a tough love coach, who pushes his players, but wins with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players and does not have a problem with transfers. I am not sure the transfer problem is as much on LK as it is on the makeup of the staff. I used to run into Juddy regularly. We were friends growing up and he moved into my parents LDS Ward when he returned to SLC - still lives there I think. Anyway, Juddy frequently said that much of what he and Donnie did was love up the kids because Rick was so brutal. I don't think Tommy is that guy. Don't know about DeMarlo. Anyway, this year and the transfers out will tell me whether I am ready to move on from Larry.

  11. #41
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    17,443
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Scott Van Pelt did an interesting piece on Tom Izzo and his yelling at one of his freshmen players that apparently garnered attention. He pointed out that Izzo is a tough love coach, who pushes his players, but wins with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players and does not have a problem with transfers. I am not sure the transfer problem is as much on LK as it is on the makeup of the staff. I used to run into Juddy regularly. We were friends growing up and he moved into my parents LDS Ward when he returned to SLC - still lives there I think. Anyway, Juddy frequently said that much of what he and Donnie did was love up the kids because Rick was so brutal. I don't think Tommy is that guy. Don't know about DeMarlo. Anyway, this year and the transfers out will tell me whether I am ready to move on from Larry.
    Very interesting. It does give me pause that his staff is so stable, perhaps too stable. Are they stale, not stable? Why are they not getting upgraded jobs with other programs?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Scott Van Pelt did an interesting piece on Tom Izzo and his yelling at one of his freshmen players that apparently garnered attention. He pointed out that Izzo is a tough love coach, who pushes his players, but wins with a bunch of 3 and 4 year players and does not have a problem with transfers.
    One week ago, everyone was showing a picture of Izzo crying with his injured forward and talking about how caring Izzo is. Now, he's getting blasted for yelling at players.

    I am not sure the transfer problem is as much on LK as it is on the makeup of the staff.
    The "transfer problem"? Do we have more transfers than the average team? How many transfers were people we wish we'd kept?

    I'm not sure we need someone to "love up" our players, unless Larry is much harsher in practice than in games. Larry almost never yells at his guys. In our own conference this season, I've seen Sean Miller and Mike Hopkins absolutely blast their players in ways Larry never has.

  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

    The "transfer problem"? Do we have more transfers than the average team? How many transfers were people we wish we'd kept?
    I would have wanted Chapman, Mawein, Daniels, Doutrive for sure. Chris Seeley and Isaiah Wright probably. As for the guys like Pop and Zamorra, I would rather have had their scholies go to guys who can play at PAC 12 level.

  14. #44
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I would have wanted Chapman, Mawein, Daniels, Doutrive for sure. Chris Seeley and Isaiah Wright probably. As for the guys like Pop and Zamorra, I would rather have had their scholies go to guys who can play at PAC 12 level.
    I like all those guys, too. I guess what I'm saying is that we haven't suffered much because of transfers. Right now, Mawien is the biggest loss we've had in terms of impact, and that impact has not been all that much. Hendrix could take the title from Mawien. We'll see. Hendrix really should have stayed.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I like all those guys, too. I guess what I'm saying is that we haven't suffered much because of transfers. Right now, Mawien is the biggest loss we've had in terms of impact, and that impact has not been all that much. Hendrix could take the title from Mawien. We'll see. Hendrix really should have stayed.
    I disagree. We have been in rebuild mold every year since Loveridge, Taylor and Tucker graduated. We will be in rebuild mold again next year. The reason is we lose and bring in 5 or 6 new guys every year.

  16. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I disagree. We have been in rebuild mold every year since Loveridge, Taylor and Tucker graduated. We will be in rebuild mold again next year. The reason is we lose and bring in 5 or 6 new guys every year.
    I think that's a good point. Individually, none of those transfers were huge losses, but, the lack of continuity/cohesion may be hurting us. It looks like 4 of our starters next season are returning players, so that's nice.

    I don't really know how many of the four main transfers could have stayed. Chapman wanted out. Daniels, by all accounts, was hurting the team. Mawien, I believe, could have stayed if we wanted him to. I really don't know about Hendrix - it seems like he wanted out?

    As for Zamora/Popoola, it sounds like you are okay with letting that type of player go in exchange for a chance at something better. When he left, we all thought Mawien was in that same category. Not one word of lament here or anywhere else. His modest success with KState is easily the most surprising story of any of our transfers.

  17. #47
    King out at Cal. No big surprise there
    The future of the past is now!

  18. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think that's a good point. Individually, none of those transfers were huge losses, but, the lack of continuity/cohesion may be hurting us. It looks like 4 of our starters next season are returning players, so that's nice.

    I don't really know how many of the four main transfers could have stayed. Chapman wanted out. Daniels, by all accounts, was hurting the team. Mawien, I believe, could have stayed if we wanted him to. I really don't know about Hendrix - it seems like he wanted out?

    As for Zamora/Popoola, it sounds like you are okay with letting that type of player go in exchange for a chance at something better. When he left, we all thought Mawien was in that same category. Not one word of lament here or anywhere else. His modest success with KState is easily the most surprising story of any of our transfers.
    I'm for not recruiting the Zamora/Popoola guys, but when you have transfers out, you have signings just to have bodies. As for the others, you have to work with the guys you sign.

  19. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm for not recruiting the Zamora/Popoola guys, but when you have transfers out, you have signings just to have bodies. As for the others, you have to work with the guys you sign.
    Sure, but, just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that at some point again in the future, we end up giving a scholarship to someone who turns out to not be amazing. I don't think it's too crazy to explain to that player that he will probably not get any playing time here, let him transfer, and take a flier on someone new.

    We have had some very good transfers, so you can't say that we always just fill to have bodies. And we certainly do work with the guys we sign, but sometimes those guys want to go somewhere else. If this really has been a problem for us, it's been a small problem.

  20. #50
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sure, but, just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that at some point again in the future, we end up giving a scholarship to someone who turns out to not be amazing. I don't think it's too crazy to explain to that player that he will probably not get any playing time here, let him transfer, and take a flier on someone new.

    We have had some very good transfers, so you can't say that we always just fill to have bodies. And we certainly do work with the guys we sign, but sometimes those guys want to go somewhere else. If this really has been a problem for us, it's been a small problem.
    Damn, how good is Dana Altman, how good would this team have been with a healthy Bol(x2)? And he’s got an #11 ranked class coming in next year. Clearly Oregon = the best basketball program in the conference currently. Elite 8 in 2016, final four 2017 and at least a sweet sixteen in 2019. That's a Majerus type run.


    Supposing Miller stays at Arizona with his #1 ranked recruiting class, UCLA picks up a good to above avg. coach, and UW continues to improve this is a good hoops league. Add in a 2nd tier with ASU, USC and Utah and this is a league that should routinely get at least 4 into the dance every year.

  21. #51
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Damn, how good is Dana Altman, how good would this team have been with a healthy Bol(x2)? And he’s got an #11 ranked class coming in next year. Clearly Oregon = the best basketball program in the conference currently. Elite 8 in 2016, final four 2017 and at least a sweet sixteen in 2019. That's a Majerus type run.


    Supposing Miller stays at Arizona with his #1 ranked recruiting class, UCLA picks up a good to above avg. coach, and UW continues to improve this is a good hoops league. Add in a 2nd tier with ASU, USC and Utah and this is a league that should routinely get at least 4 into the dance every year.
    Yeah, that might be too good though. If UW, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona, USC, and ASU are all good, there won't be much room for Utah to become a tournament team.

    I do think UCLA should at least Altman if he's interested.

  22. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sure, but, just for the sake of argument, let's suppose that at some point again in the future, we end up giving a scholarship to someone who turns out to not be amazing. I don't think it's too crazy to explain to that player that he will probably not get any playing time here, let him transfer, and take a flier on someone new.

    We have had some very good transfers, so you can't say that we always just fill to have bodies. And we certainly do work with the guys we sign, but sometimes those guys want to go somewhere else. If this really has been a problem for us, it's been a small problem.
    I think you and I just disagree on this. I'm not really looking forward to the 4th rebuilding season in a row.

  23. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm not really looking forward to the 4th rebuilding season in a row.
    Well, I can agree with that!

  24. #54
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Well, I can agree with that!
    sounds like Dave Rose is stepping down, glad Utah didn't lure him away from BYU a few years back.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46518452...-stepping-down

  25. #55
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sounds like Dave Rose is stepping down, glad Utah didn't lure him away from BYU a few years back.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46518452...-stepping-down
    Early names to replace him are Pope at UVU, Peery at Portland State, and Alex Jensen.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  26. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sounds like Dave Rose is stepping down, glad Utah didn't lure him away from BYU a few years back.

    https://www.ksl.com/article/46518452...-stepping-down
    "stepping down" is a euphamism

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Early names to replace him are Pope at UVU, Peery at Portland State, and Alex Jensen.
    I think it's Pope, and I think it's already been worked out. Just my guess. AJ is way too beardy for Provo. I've seen Pope's name as an up and comer.

  28. #58
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,371
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Early names to replace him are Pope at UVU, Peery at Portland State, and Alex Jensen.
    which local news outlet will come up with the most cheesy cringe-worthy headline if its Pope?

  29. #59
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    sounds like Dave Rose is stepping down, glad Utah didn't lure him away from BYU a few years back.
    I feel bad for him. BYU threw the basketball program under a bus with independence. Rose had opportunities to leave, but the Y pressed him to stay. He gradually lost recruiting power, and losing games naturally followed.

    May his replacement be fired in 3 years!

  30. #60
    Mike Anderson out at Arkansas and Tim Miles out at Nebraska.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •