Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    better games, better competition and against schools I have a vested interest in. I like it, I wish it was a full round robin go to 22.
    Then go to 22. I don't see the point in going to 20, as you still have the same problems with an unbalanced schedule.

Word is we’ve added a home game with Tulsa for next year’s non-conference schedule. Any school that I’ve actually heard of seems like a reason to celebrate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I assume there must be a missing word in that tweet; I'm pretty sure there also has to be a "North," "South," East," "West," or at least "Valley" or "A&M"in there somewhere.

Finished with an RPI of 86 last year. That's a Q3 home win for those tracking at home...wait...only me? Well then...
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Finished with an RPI of 86 last year. That's a Q3 home win for those tracking at home...wait...only me? Well then...
    Had 8 players start 8 or more games, five of those players return. Lose two of their top three returning scorers, but the one that returns is their starting PG. Also have a transfer from Nebraska who saw good minutes as a true. Always the potential for a Q2 win with Tulsa. This game doesn't sound sexy, but is Cindy Crawford next to some of the dogs we've scheduled at home under Larry. Good addition.

Okay. Krystkoviak trolling Utah fans who complain about the out of conference schedule (me) now.

Fair to say they just put a Q1 game on the schedule for the next two years.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Fair to say they just put a Q1 game on the schedule for the next two years.
    We'll have to see. Their recruiting class this year was only ranked #2. May be a down year for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    We'll have to see. Their recruiting class this year was only ranked #2. May be a down year for them.
    Haha...yes...yes we'll see.

I'd love to see the Utes start playing a couple of neutral site games per year, especially in a place like Vegas. Seems to make a ton of sense.

Haha...yes...yes we'll see.

I'd love to see the Utes start playing a couple of neutral site games per year, especially in a place like Vegas. Seems to make a ton of sense.
    This series is exactly what I asked for. Would I like to see UK at the JHC? Of course. But Vegas is an acceptable site for a return game with a program of this magnitude.

Get used to seeing this more and more often. We've already played UNLV twice in Vegas without a return trip, so getting a true neutral-site site game there is a step forward. And we'll get a football game there once every 5-6 years too once the Raiders stadium is built.

I am going to have to talk the wife into a road trip. A game at Rupp would be amazing.

Andy Hill on with Bill Riley: https://espn700sports.com/bill-riley...ntucky-series/

Some interesting nuggets on how the game came to be. Coach Cal was at a clinic in Texas that Andy was at, and Andy walked up to him after the clinic and asked if they wanted to play. Cal put him in touch with his basketball opps guy and bada bing bada boom, we're playing the Cats the next two years.

He also mentioned that because of the Wooden Legacy, we get an extra game, and that they are currently working with the teams in that field to try and get one of them to SLC on the way to the tournament, which would be interesting.

I bet Keith and Majerus together were a riot.

Isn't it just a bit of a slap in the face that we don't get a home and home with KY?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Isn't it just a bit of a slap in the face that we don't get a home and home with KY?
    In the last three years they've played four true road games in the non-con: @UCLA, @Louisville, @Kansas, @WVU. So, I would say no. I think this is the price of admission to play them. According to Andy Hill, they wanted to play at MSG or at the Barlcays Center, so for us to get them to Vegas actually seems like a pretty decent win for a non-home game against a blue blood.

In the last three years they've played four true road games in the non-con: @UCLA, @Louisville, @Kansas, @WVU. So, I would say no. I think this is the price of admission to play them. According to Andy Hill, they wanted to play at MSG or at the Barlcays Center, so for us to get them to Vegas actually seems like a pretty decent win for a non-home game against a blue blood.
    Well, all right then!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I am going to have to talk the wife into a road trip. A game at Rupp would be amazing.

Watched my son play there. They built a mall around Rupp Arena. Food isn't great, but you're in Rupp and that is an experience alone. I was there on a Tuesday. 22k strong in the building on a Tuesday night. Driving in to Lexington, the outskirts seem shady. Downtown has some cool old restaurants and such.

I liked Cameron Indoor and the Tar Heel stadiums better. South Carolina has an underrated arena and Columbia by the campus is nice.

I think my favorite still, is the Pit.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This series is exactly what I asked for. Would I like to see UK at the JHC? Of course. But Vegas is an acceptable site for a return game with a program of this magnitude.

Get used to seeing this more and more often. We've already played UNLV twice in Vegas without a return trip, so getting a true neutral-site site game there is a step forward. And we'll get a football game there once every 5-6 years too once the Raiders stadium is built.
    This exactly what the hoops team needs. Play anybody. And when you schedule the mid and low majors, schedule teams that you think are going to win their conference title.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    Watched my son play there. They built a mall around Rupp Arena. Food isn't great, but you're in Rupp and that is an experience alone. I was there on a Tuesday. 22k strong in the building on a Tuesday night. Driving in to Lexington, the outskirts seem shady. Downtown has some cool old restaurants and such.

I liked Cameron Indoor and the Tar Heel stadiums better. South Carolina has an underrated arena and Columbia by the campus is nice.

I think my favorite still, is the Pit.
    That could be a fun road trip. Hope it doesn’t coincide w HS BBall this year.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

We need another Q1 home game this year. I would take another Q1 road game, but that dance partner would need to deliver us a H-H with a Q2 or better that begins in SLC.

Fill out the schedule with Q3s or better -- there are plenty such teams we can get to SLC without a return trip. Shoot, I would still give Weber a call. If they want a return trip next year, take it.

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    That could be a fun road trip. Hope it doesn’t coincide w HS BBall this year.
    Saturday December 15th
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Larry was just on with Bill talking about the scheduling challenges, etc. Said he's reached out to a number of contacts that he knows in the coaching ranks. Mentioned three specifically that we've talked to about a home and home: Georgia, Maryland, and Georgetown. He seemed to think that Georgetown was the most likely because he's got a pretty strong relationship with Patrick Ewing, but Ewing isn't sure he wants to come out West (with the insinuation being that they don't recruit out West).

Larry was just on with Bill talking about the scheduling challenges, etc. Said he's reached out to a number of contacts that he knows in the coaching ranks. Mentioned three specifically that we've talked to about a home and home: Georgia, Maryland, and Georgetown. He seemed to think that Georgetown was the most likely because he's got a pretty strong relationship with Patrick Ewing, but Ewing isn't sure he wants to come out West (with the insinuation being that they don't recruit out West).
    I bet most Georgetown players have never had Fry Sauce or Salt Water Taffy, they're going to miss out.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    ESPN 700Verified account @ESPN700 23m23 minutes agoMore

"I hate to break it to people, but Kentucky wasn't going to play in the Huntsman Center and they weren't going to play in Vivint either. So T-Mobile Arena in Vegas was the next best thing." -Larry Krystkowiak #Utes

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    ESPN 700Verified account @ESPN700 23m23 minutes agoMore

"I hate to break it to people, but Kentucky wasn't going to play in the Huntsman Center and they weren't going to play in Vivint either. So T-Mobile Arena in Vegas was the next best thing." -Larry Krystkowiak #Utes
    Yeah, I get it.

--Yeats

I would gladly take a H-N-A set with Georgetown, with the neutral game anywhere G-Town wants, outside of DC/VA/MD. But the Hoyas have to come to SLC first.

Pac 12 is tinkering with the idea of not having a rotating schedule planned out years in advance, but rather, matching up the best teams (like the A-10 apparently does) to better increase the league's chances of getting into the big dance.

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-p...ce-scheduling/

A separate source told FRS Sports that the Pac-12 has asked each head coach to pick next year’s order of finish 1-12 in an effort to gauge which matchups next year would yield the best possible formula in preparations for the 2019 NCAA Tournament.

Pac 12 is tinkering with the idea of not having a rotating schedule planned out years in advance, but rather, matching up the best teams (like the A-10 apparently does) to better increase the league's chances of getting into the big dance.

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-p...ce-scheduling/
    And by “best” teams, that will be based on pre-season rankings that we all know have been super accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    And by “best” teams, that will be based on pre-season rankings that we all know have been super accurate.

The tail wags the dog. Instead of fixing the criteria, we force conferences to gyrate and contort in attempts to game the criteria.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The tail wags the dog. Instead of fixing the criteria, we force conferences to gyrate and contort in attempts to game the criteria.
    Like.

--Yeats