Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Harlan already getting things done. Home and home scheduled with Minnesota.

https://frshoopz.com/cbb/rothstein-m...d-home-series/

I grew up on Golden Gopher BB. They still play in Williams Arena. (The Barn) on campus. elevated floor, step up to get from bench to floor. I am sure it has been renovated—use to have a metal overhanging deck that would bounce when the fans were stamping their feet. Big loud arena, fun place to watch a game.

Road games next year; home or neutral games the year after; suggests we are building for a run the year after next.

The Gophers finished with an RPI of 164 last year...and I think they had some issue with one of their top guys getting booted, but whatever. It's a P5 road game and certainly has the potential to be a Q2 game next year.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Someone tweeted out a conversation between Andy Katz and Richard Pitino. Of note, said the game vs. Utah was a road game in Salt Lake. Not sure if that was a typo, misunderstanding, but interesting nonetheless.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

good article on Krysko's scheduling philosophy

“There’s also a factor that comes into play with our league,” Krystkowiak said of scheduling. “Leagues try to win 75 percent of their games. That’s a barometer that benefits the entire league. It’s not just what Utah does. You can be a scheduling gangster and just go out and play Kentucky and Kansas and Duke and everybody else, but that isn’t going to help your league unless you’ve got the right team that can do some damage.”
    https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...yone-118834502

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    good article on Krysko's scheduling philosophy

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...yone-118834502
    and then there is this from Arizona State?

https://twitter.com/DougHaller/status/1004412357026566144

The Cougars have released their non-conference schedule: https://byucougars.com/story/m-baske...rence-schedule

Based on what we've seen in the past, that is, teams coming to Utah and playing both Utah and BYU, here are some options for filling out our home schedule:

Northwestern State (342)
    Oral Roberts (253)
    Alabama A&M (350)
    Rice (329)
    Portland State (162)

So, these would all be Q4 quality opponents, based on last year's RPI.

They also play Houston, but I doubt they'd go back to back with Utah and BYU.

Nevada added to the schedule, home game this year Dec. 29, return trip to Reno in 2019-20. Massive add to the schedule, and a Q1 home game for this year.

Everything I've asked for in a non-conference schedule has been brought forth by Larry and his staff. This is glorious!

Man...I try to get some work done and this news breaks! Big time add to the schedule for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Nevada added to the schedule, home game this year Dec. 29, return trip to Reno in 2019-20. Massive add to the schedule, and a Q1 home game for this year.

Everything I've asked for in a non-conference schedule has been brought forth by Larry and his staff. This is glorious!
    Good news. I might be in SLC for that, too!

Solid addition. This season's schedule is exponentially better than last year's.

Looks like he is finally listening to you!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Not a bad first day for the new AD eh?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Larry's come through on my demands in non-con scheduling, now it's up to me to keep my end of the bargain, and not lose my shizz when we lose a few of these games.

Fortunately, we've got a lot of margin of error in this schedule. We're in the 8-9 game in the Dance by going 19-11, 9-9 in league and a win in Vegas.

Stanford releases its non-con for 18-19 season. Remember, last year they had all the pieces in place on their schedule, they just dropped some mind-numbingly stupid games like EWU. https://gostanford.com/news/2018/6/2...-schedule.aspx

This schedule is highlighted by road games at UNC and Kansas. The move I think is particularly brilliant is that they scheduled a home and home with UNC Wilmington, and travel there the same weekend they play UNC. Wilmington was a tourney team last year, and I believe could be one this year as well, so you get another quality game on the schedule, and on a road trip you are already taking. Would be interesting to see if Larry & Co. would do this when they played the likes of Kentucky or Missouri in future schedules.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Stanford releases its non-con for 18-19 season. Remember, last year they had all the pieces in place on their schedule, they just dropped some mind-numbingly stupid games like EWU. https://gostanford.com/news/2018/6/2...-schedule.aspx

This schedule is highlighted by road games at UNC and Kansas. The move I think is particularly brilliant is that they scheduled a home and home with UNC Wilmington, and travel there the same weekend they play UNC. Wilmington was a tourney team last year, and I believe could be one this year as well, so you get another quality game on the schedule, and on a road trip you are already taking. Would be interesting to see if Larry & Co. would do this when they played the likes of Kentucky or Missouri in future schedules.
    That Battle 4 Atlantis field is stacked -- Florida, Butler, Virginia, Dayton, Oklahoma, Wisconsin and Middle Tennessee.

I always said that Stanford's non-con performance hurt the Pac-12 more than anything. Lots of quality Q1/2 wins went by the wayside.

The Utes and Minnesota made it official yesterday. They'll travel to Minneapolis on November 12. Assuming Missouri stays on the schedule (I have no reason to believe they wont), that leaves us with three games left to schedule, and Bill Riley hinted the other day that there might be one more game out there.

Looking at last year's schedule, and trying to piece together what things might look like this year, I think we will probably play an exhibition on November 1 or 2, and probably open the season at home on November 7. Then we travel to Minnesota on the 12th, and probably get 1-2 more home games before heading out for the Wooden legacy over thanksgiving.

That leaves the last week of November and the month of December for the remaining games @ Kentucky, @ Missouri, vs. Tulsa (Dec 1), vs. BYU (Dec. 8) vs. Nevada (Dec 29) and probably 1 more game before we head into conference play, which I suspect will Start January 2 for someone in the league.

Edit: A rumor no more: https://espnevents.com/wooden-legacy/bracket/

Utah/Hawaii - 9:30 PM, Mountain, ESPN 2
    Seton Hall/GCU
    Miami/LaSalle
    Northwestern/Fresno St.

Hawaii gives you at best a Q3 win on a neutral court, and very likely a Q4 win. Seton Hall could easily be a Q1 game and if somehow they beat them, Miami could be as well if they get there.
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 07-11-2018 at 03:34 PM.

Full non-conference schedule:

Utes.jpg
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 07-12-2018 at 10:16 AM.

vs. Maine - Final RPI 338 (Q4)
    @ Minnesota - Final RPI 164 (Q3)
    vs. Mississippi Valley St. - Final RPI 349 (Q4)
    (N) vs. Hawaii - Final RPI 212 (Q4, at best Q3)
    (N) vs. Seton Hall/GCU (Q1 for Seton Hall, Q3-4 for GCU)
    (N) vs. Miami/LaSalle, Northwestern/Fresno St. (Q1-4 - We'll just have to see)
    vs. Tulsa - Final RPI 86 (Q3)
    (N) BYU - Final RPI 69 (Q2 - Q3)
    @ Kentucky - Q1
    vs. Florida A&M - Final RPI - 332 (Q4)
    vs. Northern Arizona - Final RPI 308 (Q4)
    vs. Nevada - Q1

Credit where credit is due. This is a good schedule.

Of note: Missouri off the schedule. I wonder if that game was bought out or postponed to another season.

vs. Maine - Final RPI 338 (Q4)
    @ Minnesota - Final RPI 164 (Q3)
    vs. Mississippi Valley St. - Final RPI 349 (Q4)
    (N) vs. Hawaii - Final RPI 212 (Q4, at best Q3)
    (N) vs. Seton Hall/GCU (Q1 for Seton Hall, Q3-4 for GCU)
    (N) vs. Miami/LaSalle, Northwestern/Fresno St. (Q1-4 - We'll just have to see)
    vs. Tulsa - Final RPI 86 (Q3)
    (N) BYU - Final RPI 69 (Q2 - Q3)
    @ Kentucky - Q1
    vs. Florida A&M - Final RPI - 332 (Q4)
    vs. Northern Arizona - Final RPI 308 (Q4)
    vs. Nevada - Q1

Credit where credit is due. This is a good schedule.
    We need Minnesota and BYU to be good, and we need to beat them. Splitting Kentucky/Nevada would be huge. If we're starting out with a Q4 in Anaheim, I hope we can get Q2 or better in our other two games there. Still too much Q4 dreck on the schedule, and from such far-flung places. Why we don't schedule UVU, Weber and SUU instead is beyond me. All 3 schools would be massive upgrades ahead of Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M. Talk about a place where the legislature should get involved ...

Talk about a place where the legislature should get involved ...
    I'm pretty sure most of the legislature doesn't know what UVU, SUU, and WSU stand for.

USU wants a home & home—Utes don’t make enough $ or Q level to travel there.

Might be the same for Weber.

Maine et al, are not home & home.

It all comes down to $$.

Of note: Missouri off the schedule. I wonder if that game was bought out or postponed to another season.
    Bill RileyVerified account @espn700bill 8m8 minutes agoMore

For those that have inquired about Missouri and Utah Game this season. Andy Hill told me today on the show, it's been pushed back a year for "logisitical" issues. #Utes @ESPN700

Weber would play us every year in the Huntsman Center - at least as long as the current staff is there, SUU as well. Give USU a few more years and they'll be willing to do the same. In the meantime, the Weber State game should happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    USU wants a home & home—Utes don’t make enough $ or Q level to travel there.

Might be the same for Weber.

Maine et al, are not home & home.

It all comes down to $$.
    Didn't mention USU. Did mention Utah Valley (UVU). You're right in that Weber probably wants H-H, and I for the life of me don't know why we don't give it to them.

There are still guarantees we gotta give those schools. I know for a fact when College of Idaho came for a regular season game, we gave them $5K plus expenses. Stanford gave Bethune-Cookman $75K plus expenses. We could give SUU and UVU a fraction of what we'll have to give Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M, and we'll sell more tickets.

Didn't mention USU. Did mention Utah Valley (UVU). You're right in that Weber probably wants H-H, and I for the life of me don't know why we don't give it to them.

There are still guarantees we gotta give those schools. I know for a fact when College of Idaho came for a regular season game, we gave them $5K plus expenses. Stanford gave Bethune-Cookman $75K plus expenses. We could give SUU and UVU a fraction of what we'll have to give Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M, and we'll sell more tickets.
    The one thing Andy Hill did say on the Bill Riley show yesterday is that sometimes it is about trying to fit an opponent into a specific window/day you want to play and time, etc., and that he understands that the fans might be frustrated by some of those opponents, but that it is a pretty small list (or at least that is what he implied) when you consider all of those factors, etc. I'm not sure if I buy that completely, I think to your larger point, you call SUU and say "when are you available to play" and go from there to maybe fill one of those spots in late December...or, maybe you see if you can get one of these teams when you play Colorado and have a bye.

The one thing Andy Hill did say on the Bill Riley show yesterday is that sometimes it is about trying to fit an opponent into a specific window/day you want to play and time, etc., and that he understands that the fans might be frustrated by some of those opponents, but that it is a pretty small list (or at least that is what he implied) when you consider all of those factors, etc. I'm not sure if I buy that completely, I think to your larger point, you call SUU and say "when are you available to play" and go from there to maybe fill one of those spots in late December...or, maybe you see if you can get one of these teams when you play Colorado and have a bye.
    I don’t think you want to squeeze a game in during the one week window.

Conference schedule with TV makes it much more chaotic, Larry was pretty vocal last year that his guys lacked down time and practice time.

The other issue, the conference doesn’t set the conference schedule until September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk