Thread: The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Didn't mention USU. Did mention Utah Valley (UVU). You're right in that Weber probably wants H-H, and I for the life of me don't know why we don't give it to them.

There are still guarantees we gotta give those schools. I know for a fact when College of Idaho came for a regular season game, we gave them $5K plus expenses. Stanford gave Bethune-Cookman $75K plus expenses. We could give SUU and UVU a fraction of what we'll have to give Maine, MVSU and Florida A&M, and we'll sell more tickets.
    The one thing Andy Hill did say on the Bill Riley show yesterday is that sometimes it is about trying to fit an opponent into a specific window/day you want to play and time, etc., and that he understands that the fans might be frustrated by some of those opponents, but that it is a pretty small list (or at least that is what he implied) when you consider all of those factors, etc. I'm not sure if I buy that completely, I think to your larger point, you call SUU and say "when are you available to play" and go from there to maybe fill one of those spots in late December...or, maybe you see if you can get one of these teams when you play Colorado and have a bye.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    The one thing Andy Hill did say on the Bill Riley show yesterday is that sometimes it is about trying to fit an opponent into a specific window/day you want to play and time, etc., and that he understands that the fans might be frustrated by some of those opponents, but that it is a pretty small list (or at least that is what he implied) when you consider all of those factors, etc. I'm not sure if I buy that completely, I think to your larger point, you call SUU and say "when are you available to play" and go from there to maybe fill one of those spots in late December...or, maybe you see if you can get one of these teams when you play Colorado and have a bye.
    I don’t think you want to squeeze a game in during the one week window.

Conference schedule with TV makes it much more chaotic, Larry was pretty vocal last year that his guys lacked down time and practice time.

The other issue, the conference doesn’t set the conference schedule until September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don’t think you want to squeeze a game in during the one week window.

Conference schedule with TV makes it much more chaotic, Larry was pretty vocal last year that his guys lacked down time and practice time.

The other issue, the conference doesn’t set the conference schedule until September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not...but last year the schedule was really wonky. Andy said they've voted on an A vs. B schedule and that the league should lock that in and then the TV partners get their say. But you are right, it would be hard to hold your schedule captive waiting for the league schedule to come out.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pac 12 pairings have been announced. Short version: Play everyone in the South twice as well as Washington/Wazzu. Play Oregon schools at home and bay area schools on the road.

Pac12 Pairings.jpg

One note on a non-conference opponent I thought was interesting - Tulsa, who, as I understand it is a one-off home game, has a pretty respectable non-conference schedule. They play Nevada and Dayton on neutral courts, and home games against Kansas St. and Oklahoma St. They also play UT Arlington who has been good recently and New Orleans and Little Rock, who've both been tournament teams in the last few years. If this is a true one-off and not a home and home, it's a pretty good get for the Utes, and I think they will easily be a Q3 win and certainly not a game that is going to hurt our RPI.

Arizona releases its schedule (sort of)

Home:

TBA
    Cal Poly
    UTEP
    Texas Southern
    UVU
    Baylor
    Montana
    UC Davis

Road
    UCONN
    Alabama

Neutral - 3 games in Maui.

Full Schedule Out: https://utahutes.com/documents/2018/...dule_FINAL.pdf

8 of our league games are on P12 Network, the other 10 are on the ESPN family of networks. @Minnesota will be on Big 10, @Kentucky will be on ESPN2, vs. BYU is on ESPNU, Nevada/Tulsa on P12 Network, and the Thanksgiving tournament will mostly be on ESPN2/U.