Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don’t think you want to squeeze a game in during the one week window.

Conference schedule with TV makes it much more chaotic, Larry was pretty vocal last year that his guys lacked down time and practice time.

The other issue, the conference doesn’t set the conference schedule until September.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not...but last year the schedule was really wonky. Andy said they've voted on an A vs. B schedule and that the league should lock that in and then the TV partners get their say. But you are right, it would be hard to hold your schedule captive waiting for the league schedule to come out.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Pac 12 pairings have been announced. Short version: Play everyone in the South twice as well as Washington/Wazzu. Play Oregon schools at home and bay area schools on the road.

Pac12 Pairings.jpg

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

One note on a non-conference opponent I thought was interesting - Tulsa, who, as I understand it is a one-off home game, has a pretty respectable non-conference schedule. They play Nevada and Dayton on neutral courts, and home games against Kansas St. and Oklahoma St. They also play UT Arlington who has been good recently and New Orleans and Little Rock, who've both been tournament teams in the last few years. If this is a true one-off and not a home and home, it's a pretty good get for the Utes, and I think they will easily be a Q3 win and certainly not a game that is going to hurt our RPI.

Arizona releases its schedule (sort of)

Home:

TBA
    Cal Poly
    UTEP
    Texas Southern
    UVU
    Baylor
    Montana
    UC Davis

Road
    UCONN
    Alabama

Neutral - 3 games in Maui.

Full Schedule Out: https://utahutes.com/documents/2018/...dule_FINAL.pdf

8 of our league games are on P12 Network, the other 10 are on the ESPN family of networks. @Minnesota will be on Big 10, @Kentucky will be on ESPN2, vs. BYU is on ESPNU, Nevada/Tulsa on P12 Network, and the Thanksgiving tournament will mostly be on ESPN2/U.

Quote Originally Posted by drumnfeather View Post
    full schedule out: https://utahutes.com/documents/2018/...dule_final.pdf

8 of our league games are on p12 network, the other 10 are on the espn family of networks. @minnesota will be on big 10, @kentucky will be on espn2, vs. Byu is on espnu, nevada/tulsa on p12 network, and the thanksgiving tournament will mostly be on espn2/u.
    don't you know there is a hearing right now!!! How can you post about basketball on this sports webpage????!

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Full Schedule Out: https://utahutes.com/documents/2018/...dule_FINAL.pdf

8 of our league games are on P12 Network, the other 10 are on the ESPN family of networks. @Minnesota will be on Big 10, @Kentucky will be on ESPN2, vs. BYU is on ESPNU, Nevada/Tulsa on P12 Network, and the Thanksgiving tournament will mostly be on ESPN2/U.
    Really no excuse for Nevada to be relegated to P12 Network. At the very least, that or Tulsa should've been ESPN/2/U. Also wish our Arizona roadie wasn't on P12 Nets. But us DirecTV folk will still get plenty of chances to see Utah on TV this year.

Only one Sunday game. I like that personally, and it should be good for attendance numbers.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

NWTRU is OCT. 17th at 7 PM, damn that seems earlier than ever

Utes announced as part of the field for next year's Myrtle Beach Invitational. Here's the field:

Ohio
    Coastal Carolina
    Baylor
    Memphis
    Mississippi St.
    Middle Tennessee St.
    Villanova
    Utah

Adding this group to a home schedule that we know will include Minnesota and BYU, and a road schedule that will include Nevada and potentially Missouri, and a neutral game vs. Kentucky. Could be another fun year in the non-conf.

Utes announced as part of the field for next year's Myrtle Beach Invitational. Here's the field:

Ohio
    Coastal Carolina
    Baylor
    Memphis
    Mississippi St.
    Middle Tennessee St.
    Villanova
    Utah

Adding this group to a home schedule that we know will include Minnesota and BYU, and a road schedule that will include Nevada and potentially Missouri, and a neutral game vs. Kentucky. Could be another fun year in the non-conf.
    Hell yes! I'll be there.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I posted this on the Twitter yesterday - season in review against the schedule:

Utah basketball Season in review: The Schedule (thread):

The Utes played 29 of a possible 30 regular season games this year. 11 Non-conf, 18 conf. Finishing 17-13 (11-7) - NET of 105

Here's the breakdown by Quadrant:

Q1 - 6 (1-5)
    Q2 - 11 (6-5)
    Q3 - 8 (5-3)
    Q4 - 5 (5-0)

Utes non-conference Quadrant Breakdown

Q1 (0-3) @ Minnesota, @ Kentucky, vs. Nevada
    Q2 (1-2) N Grand Canyon- W, N Northwestern-L, N BYU - L
    Q3 (1-1) vs. Tulsa W, N Hawaii - L
    Q4 (4-0) vs. Maine, vs. NAU, vs. Florida A&M, vs. MVSU

For the last two seasons, the Utes have played only 11 of their possible 12 non-conference games. Why that is remains a mystery.

If you want to look at where things really turned for them, you can point to the Neutral site loss to Hawaii. A win in that game, and they are matched up with Seton Hall, who finished with a NET of 57. Even if they lose to the Pirates, that's another Q1 game on the schedule.

In Pac12 Hoops this year, Utah finished 11-7, however, the entire league only had 4 opportunities for Q1 wins on the road, and, based on final NET rankings as of Selection Sunday none at home. Because the Utes didn't play at Oregon, they only had 3 Q1 road opportunities

Contrast the Pac 12 with the Big East (5th in conference RPI to the Pac 12's 7). The Big East had 8 Q1 Road opportunities and 2 home Q1 opportunities. Again, the Pac 12 had 4 road and 0 home opportunities.

Add to the fact that for much of the year Cal and Wazzu were in the 200s in the NET rankings (something no other P5 league approached), and you have a major problem that in a singular season can only be addressed in your non-conference schedule. #Utes

Adding Cal and Wazzu to 4 Q4 non-conference games means that 17% of the Utes non-conference schedule were Q4 games. Chances are, that Cal and Wazzu will be bad again this year, so Utah needs to anticipate this in its scheduling for 2019, but that is for another thread.

Bottom Line on the 2018-19 Utes schedule:

Being 1-5 in Q1/Q2 games in non-conference gives you little room for error in your other games, and losing to Hawaii, NW, and BYU really damaged their NET ranking and chances to even be in the discussion for a post-season tournament.

Utes in the 2020 Battle for Atlantis field:

Duke
    Ohio St.
    WVU
    Utes
    Texas A&M
    Wichita St.
    Creighton
    Conference USA Rep.

Utes in the 2020 Battle for Atlantis field:

Duke
    Ohio St.
    WVU
    Utes
    Texas A&M
    Wichita St.
    Creighton
    Conference USA Rep.
    I've got to imagine Wichita State-Creighton is locked into a first-round game so an old MVC rivalry can be renewed. Duke or Ohio State will get the C-USA rep. Hard to imagine not getting a very tough game in our opener. This is a great tournament.

Newly approved Pac-12 basketball scheduling rules:

1 - Opponents must have a 5 year trailing average NET ranking of 175 or less
    2 - No road buy games
    3 - No regular season games against non-D1 opponents
    4 - No road games against teams with a 5 year trailing average NET ranking of 200 or less

2 - No road buy games
    4 - No road games against teams with a 5 year trailing average NET ranking of 200 or less
    Impressive. Looks like the PAC-12 wants to polish up its profile.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

2 - No road buy games
    I'm sure someone has this or knows where to get it, but taking last year as an example, which schools would we not have played?

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I'm sure someone has this or knows where to get it, but taking last year as an example, which schools would we not have played?
    I think our schedule would have been the same. That's what twitter was saying anyway. The average net of our opponents met the 175 standard.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think our schedule would have been the same. That's what twitter was saying anyway. The average net of our opponents met the 175 standard.
    Yeah, the game against Kentucky would have saved last year.

Going forward they’ll have to avoid teams over 300. You can’t always count on the really high game to offset them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Yeah, the game against Kentucky would have saved last year.

Going forward they’ll have to avoid teams over 300. You can’t always count on the really high game to offset them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Right. Based on what we know right now, the average NET comes in at around 161, which includes our exempt event. I'm seeking further clarification on this though, since we cannot control who we play in those exempt events.

Right. Based on what we know right now, the average NET comes in at around 161, which includes our exempt event. I'm seeking further clarification on this though, since we cannot control who we play in those exempt events.
    Well then this is basically form over substance.

Is #1 by opponent, or in aggregate?

Diehard sayin that Kentucky averages out some of he lesser teams seems to indicate it's out opponents in aggregate. But the wording to me seems to indicate that each opponent must be 175 or less on average for the past 5 years.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Is #1 by opponent, or in aggregate?

Diehard sayin that Kentucky averages out some of he lesser teams seems to indicate it's out opponents in aggregate. But the wording to me seems to indicate that each opponent must be 175 or less on average for the past 5 years.
    It is just an average. The wording is misleading, but they clarified yesterday. It's not a huge change, but it's probably wiser to make incremental changes than huge changes.

Utes will open at Nevada on November 5th, per Twitter.

So, for those keeping track at home (only me):

Nov 5 - @ Nevada
    Nov 22-25 Myrtle Beach Invitational.
    Dec 18 - vs. Kentucky (Vegas)

The beehive classic will either be Dec 7 or 14.

We keep getting hints that the hoops schedule will be out soon, perhaps even this week.

Here's an update of what we know so far:

11/5 - @Nevada
    11/22-24 - Myrtle Beach invite (brackets were released 7/16 last year - I think Coastal Carolina or Ohio will be the game)
    12/3 - BYU (not confirmed)
    12/7 - Central Arkansas
    12/14 - Beehive Classic (vs. Weber)
    12/18 - Kentucky (Vegas)
    12/21 - SDSU (Los Angeles)

Other known/reported games without dates:

vs. Minnesota
    @ Missouri (we owe them a game, I'm skeptical it happens)
    vs. Detroit Mercy

Update - Utes will in fact play Coastal Carolina in round one of the Myrtle Beach Invitational on 11/21. It will be the last game of the day at 7:00 PM, Eastern. This will give them another true road game for those counting at home, and would get the winner/loser of Baylor vs. Ohio.

For those interested.

Myrtle Beach invitational.jpg

Update - Utes will in fact play Coastal Carolina in round one of the Myrtle Beach Invitational on 11/21. It will be the last game of the day at 7:00 PM, Eastern. This will give them another true road game for those counting at home, and would get the winner/loser of Baylor vs. Ohio.

The Basketball Scheduling Thread

Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 07-16-2019 at 02:22 PM.

I'm hopeful our top 5 games can be shown on ESPN or other major networks.

Nevada and San Diego State likely will be on CBS College Sports.

Minnesota's fan base is big enough that having that game on P12 Nets would make zero sense.

Kentucky ... duh ...

That leaves BYU, a game that was on P12 Nets last time we played them in SLC. I hope that's not the case again this year.

Once again, our exempt tournament will be a massive indicator of what we can expect this season.