Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

I think the only interesting thing I can say is that Jim Les is coaching the UC Davis Aggies.

So, yeah.

20-10, RPI of 101, lost to Washington, split with Hawaii and lost to UVU.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Some interesting experimentation with the rules for the NIT this year:

https://www.ncaa.com/news/basketball...es-be-used-nit

The 2018 NIT will feature four rules modifications:
    The three-point line will be extended by approximately 1 foot 8 inches to the same distance used by FIBA for international competition (22 feet 1.75 inches).
    The free throw lane will be widened from 12 feet to 16 feet, consistent with the width used by the NBA.
    The games will be divided into four 10-minute quarters as opposed to two 20-minute halves. Teams will shoot two free throws beginning with the fifth foul of each quarter.
    • The shot clock will reset to 20 seconds after an offensive rebound instead of the full 30 seconds.
    The wider lane should be interesting.

I feel like this year's team has better leadership from the players than last year's did. I feel like we are going to win somewhat comfortably (9-12 points).

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I feel like this year's team has better leadership from the players than last year's did. I feel like we are going to win somewhat comfortably (9-12 points).
    Maybe. I understand if players don't get up for the NIT. The tournament is pointless.

I hope they come out angry and just decimate UC Davis. Show some pride, make a statement, small though it may be to the outside basketball world.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-12-2018 at 06:53 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe. I understand if players don't get up for the NIT. The tournament is pointless.
    The NIT seems to often be simply a matter of which teams are happy to be there and give a determined effort vs those who are disappointed and ready for the season to be over. I'm not sure which bucket these Utes will fall into. They do have good senior leadership and appear to be a close group, but they also (should have) had their sights set on bigger things and may be deflated right now. Combine that with a fairly short rotation and I fear some guys are running on fumes (although only two games in the last two weeks might help). I hope they show well, I have enjoyed watching this gritty team exceed the sum of its parts. But I'm not sure a deep NIT run is in the cards. I think we'll have a good indication pretty early on vs UC Davis.

Pac12 refs? Larry gets sent to the showers

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Pac12 refs? Larry gets sent to the showers
    Letting out a season's worth of referee frustration.

Glad we could start the second half so well

"Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Woohoo

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Woohoo

Survive and advance.

I'm hoping that these guys just need to get past the first game to realize that they actually give a S about playing and winning. Loved watching Larry get fired up...he was probably used to the Pac 12 refs who would probably let Hurley slap them in the face and not call a T.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Good times. I heard about Larry's chair tossing and was told he was channeling Bobby Knight...So I turned it on, found the clip, and...uh...so benign. Ha ha. Still, fun to finish watching the game and fun to get another.

Also, DrumNFeather, Buster Olney said today that he thinks Harper stays in Washington or goes to Philly...I hope he goes to Philly. he he.

Swish?

Swish?
    Yes. We bow in your general direction!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

When Larry got thrown out, it seemed to me that as he began to contemplate yet another first-around loss in the NIT, he decided to say to himself, and to anyone else paying attention, “*!?!*#!?! it, I’m not letting this happen again.“

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    When Larry got thrown out, it seemed to me that as he began to contemplate yet another first-around loss in the NIT, he decided to say to himself, and to anyone else paying attention, “*!?!*#!?! it, I’m not letting this happen again.“
    I was kind of hoping he'd take Dave with him because man, that guy looked completely checked out in the game...now granted, he's got a lot going on, he either is or is about to become a dad for the first time, I get it. I just loved how Bibbins just picked the team up and carried them until they all got on board. Hopefully a weekend of watching the big dance gets these guys motivated to make a run in this tournament...or at least just try to keep their season going.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I was kind of hoping he'd take Dave with him because man, that guy looked completely checked out in the game...now granted, he's got a lot going on, he either is or is about to become a dad for the first time, I get it. I just loved how Bibbins just picked the team up and carried them until they all got on board. Hopefully a weekend of watching the big dance gets these guys motivated to make a run in this tournament...or at least just try to keep their season going.
    I was watching that and wondering if Bibbins was saying to himself "I'm not going to let my college career end against a Big West team."

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I was watching that and wondering if Bibbins was saying to himself "I'm not going to let my college career end against a Big West team."
    He sure shut down the Big West POY.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    In the second half (third quarter?), I was surprised to hear the camera pick up Bibbins yell loudly at his team to rebound (two Utah players had just fumbled it out of bounds after a UC-Davis miss). He's probably been yelling all season at his teammates, but it was nice to hear.

This team has mystified me but I was glad to see a W. I'm with Larry K. - I couldn't have handled another NIT meltdown.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

This game was one of the most fun to watch in person. An uphill battle & then it felt like once Utes were ahead it was all over--& it was.

Larry K's rant was classic. I asked his son Cam after the game if his dad was ever that mad at him---he smiled & said "once or twice".

Tillman is a beast under the basket. And Jayce played well.

The second round of the NIT? Such a new, unfamiliar feeling ...

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    An uphill battle & then it felt like once Utes were ahead it was all over--& it was.
    We hit a three to go up 8 with 6 minutes left. The TV guy called it right there. "That should probably do it." Felt about 5 minutes premature to me.
    Last edited by sancho; 03-15-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    This game was one of the most fun to watch in person. An uphill battle & then it felt like once Utes were ahead it was all over--& it was.

Larry K's rant was classic. I asked his son Cam after the game if his dad was ever that mad at him---he smiled & said "once or twice".

Tillman is a beast under the basket. And Jayce played well.
    Yes, I was thinking about this after the game. He didn't get a ton of minutes because Utah found it effective to go with Tillman and Rawson at the 4/5 some when Collette was out, but Jayce's energy and effort in the first quarter (I know this sounds silly) may have kept Utah from going down 15-20 and never recovering. He helped them maintain contact and then they were able to strike in the second half.

I have seen a lot of comments that the NCAA should adopt the NIT rules--play four quarters and move the 3 point line back.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I have seen a lot of comments that the NCAA should adopt the NIT rules--play four quarters and move the 3 point line back.
    I'm good with moving the line back. I don't know why anyone cares about how 40 minutes is broken up.

And let's go ahead and give players that sixth foul as well.

Here we go. LSU Tigers.

Kenpom has them #61, Utah #67. Sagarin has Utah #59, LSU #68.

LSU has wins against tournament teams Michigan, Houston, A&M (twice), Mizzou, Arkansas (twice). Enough good wins to be a tournament team. Most of their losses were to tournament teams or bubble teams, but they did lose to UGa (twice), Vandy, and S Carolina as well.

They have a 9-man rotation. Three players average double digit scoring. They have 7 players shooting 34% or better from outside.

Waters is the star - he's a 5'11'' guard getting 16 ppg, 3.4 rpg, and 5.9 apg. Reath is the big - getting 12.7 ppg, 5.4 rpg, and shooting 55% from the floor and 43% from outside.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    And let's go ahead and give players that sixth foul as well.
    There is no justifiably good idea that comes from this. Your starters' bad habits that get them into foul trouble aren't really addressed, and your bench players that would come in for a foul-plagued starter get less floor time and development. More fouls, more foul shots, more dragging out of games. No thanks.