Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 172

Thread: The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I don't think Jazzy had the entire story. No question Bennett was on Chris' list but Larry was number one just as he had been a few years before when Boylen was eventually hired.
    Right - the whole reason he was elevated to the Bucks HC job was because we had been sniffing around and had wanted him as our HC.

    I think the Bennett stuff was also a matter of timing...i.e. word got out that we were interested and Bennett may have been interested too, but before it could get to that the report was that we were set to offer/hire him and it all fell apart.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    So can we overcome our recent St. Mary’s curse? They’ve lost only one game at home all season, against Gonzaga. How do we match up against them? Sure would be nice to get a good post-season win.
    Thank you for reminding me of one of my worst memories as a Ute fan. I’d blocked out that one of LK’s two NCAA appearances resulted in the nightmare of our team losing by what, 40, to a heavy underdog Gonzaga, and with the bracket depleted. I’ve never seen such a starker display of outcoaching; they were ready for us, weren’t they. I’ve never been more humiliated as a sports fan. That one was so painful for many reasons, including our false hopes dashed.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    IIRC, we didnt offer Bennett enough money. He felt lowballed.
    I hope it's true, knowing now that Utah was willing to pay top 10 money for a coach.

  4. #64
    You guys act as though JazzyUte was the only one reporting it. It was all over mainstream media too, e.g., the article I pasted from the bay area nbc affiliate. Now Bennett has an incentive to overstate what happened with Hill, and Hill has an incentive to understate it, but generally we know that offers are not made unless the offeror knows it will be accepted. Things got down the road with Bennett before they did with Larry, for whatever reason. i suspect we thought we could get Bennett cheaper than Larry, and that explains the interest. Or maybe we thought Larry would not be interested then.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-21-2018 at 01:56 PM.

  5. #65
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953

    The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Thank you for reminding me of one of my worst memories as a Ute fan. I’d blocked out that one of LK’s two NCAA appearances resulted in the nightmare of our team losing by what, 40, to a heavy underdog Gonzaga, and with the bracket depleted. I’ve never seen such a starker display of outcoaching; they were ready for us, weren’t they. I’ve never been more humiliated as a sports fan. That one was so painful for many reasons, including our false hopes dashed.
    Should I refrain from referring to the name Gonzaga in order to avoid triggering you?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-21-2018 at 03:20 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  6. #66
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You guys act as though JazzyUte was the only one reporting it. It was all over mainstream media too, e.g., the article I pasted from the bay area nbc affiliate. Now Bennett has an incentive to overstate what happened with Hill, and Hill has an incentive to understate it, but generally we know that offers are not made unless the offeror knows it will be accepted. Things got down the road with Bennett before they did with Larry, for whatever reason. i suspect we thought we could get Bennett cheaper than Larry, and that explains the interest. Or maybe we thought Larry would not be interested then.
    I just haven’t paid much attention to this. I do remember being told that Bennett's agent was spreading info. I'll see what more I can find out.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Should I refrain from referring to the name Gonzaga in order to avoid triggering you?
    Haha.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  8. #68
    Not that a Collette injury is ever good, but this is just awful timing with Jayce at 3 fouls. Finally got Landale into foul trouble too. Collette would have a heyday with the backup.

  9. #69
    Can I say just one more time that this is the worst rebounding team I have ever seen? I promise I won't say it again this season.

  10. #70
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Can I say just one more time that this is the worst rebounding team I have ever seen? I promise I won't say it again this season.
    This is an appropriate way for our season to end. Rebounding has been the biggest weakness of this team all year.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is an appropriate way for our season to end.
    I was trying for a reverse jinx there in regulation.

    Not sure I love our chances in OT without a big guy. Not sure why St Mary's didn't go to Landale any of their final three possessions of regulation.

  12. #72
    Unreal. Amazing.

    I wish he heated up more than 3-4 times per season. What a performance in OT.

  13. #73
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953

    The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

    Wow. I got to see only the last 4:00 of OT. So nice to see them beat St. Mary’s and that little fat guy Bennett. What a great clutch effort.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  14. #74
    I really think the Gaels blew it by not going to Landale more, especially after Jayce fouled out.

  15. #75
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953
    Sounds like our free throw defense was excellent!

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  16. #76

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    He’s been watching The Office!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    He’s been watching The Office!




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I will be in New York for business Monday thru Wednesday. Guess who is going to the Garden! Magic Happens!!!

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I will be in New York for business Monday thru Wednesday. Guess who is going to the Garden! Magic Happens!!!
    I went to the 1974 NIT when i was in college. My dad was buddies with bud jack and got me seats right behind bill foster. I had a great time, you will too. It was the only time I've ever been to Madison square garden. I thought it was a cavernous pit. Matched only by the cap center in DC.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I went to the 1974 NIT when i was in college. My dad was buddies with bud jack and got me seats right behind bill foster. I had a great time, you will too. It was the only time I've ever been to Madison square garden. I thought it was a cavernous pit. Matched only by the cap center in DC.

    I was 8 years old. MY first memory of Utah basketball is that game. Starting guards Judge Tyrone Medley and Luther Ticky Burden.

    Damn you are old.

  21. #81
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    I was 8 years old. MY first memory of Utah basketball is that game. Starting guards Judge Tyrone Medley and Luther Ticky Burden.

    Damn you are old.
    Young at heart though. And looking much younger than seattle ute.

    My first memory is my dad taking me to the ohio state game, billy mcgill v. Lucas siegfried and havlichek, iirc

  22. #82
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,033
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I really think the Gaels blew it by not going to Landale more, especially after Jayce fouled out.
    They tried. But Donnie Tillman's was assignment-sound last night. Blew it on the dunk/3-point play, but I don't think Landale got another FG after that. Given that Collette didn't play in the second half, Jayce fouled out and PVD flat out didn't show up, Tillman was a massive underrated X factor last night, on both sides of the floor.

  23. #83
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,033
    Beating St. Mary's reminded me of our season-ending run in Year 2. Over the long haul, they don't rank on any list of significant accomplishments, but in the short-term, it's a great feeling to win like we did and to give us something to look forward to in next year. Making it this far, like we did, has gotten rid of almost all the bad taste from Vegas.

  24. #84
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    They tried. But Donnie Tillman's was assignment-sound last night. Blew it on the dunk/3-point play, but I don't think Landale got another FG after that. Given that Collette didn't play in the second half, Jayce fouled out and PVD flat out didn't show up, Tillman was a massive underrated X factor last night, on both sides of the floor.
    Seeley has not played at all during the NIT whenever Collette and JJ both go out. Is it because Tillman is more assignment sound? He is so undersized down low. Is Seeley in the doghouse?

  25. #85
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Beating St. Mary's reminded me of our season-ending run in Year 2. Over the long haul, they don't rank on any list of significant accomplishments, but in the short-term, it's a great feeling to win like we did and to give us something to look forward to in next year. Making it this far, like we did, has gotten rid of almost all the bad taste from Vegas.
    Agreed.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  26. #86
    311ute@311ute 15m15 minutes ago


    Since mid-Jan (after the SoCal trip), @UtahMBB has played at a high level.

    12-4 (4-2 on the road)

    7 wins vs KenPom top-100 teams

    I know it’s been said before, but this is Larry’s best coaching job. Impressive stuff

  27. #87
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I know it’s been said before, but this is Larry’s best coaching job. Impressive stuff
    But Chris Hill! Giacoletti! Boylen! Majerus! (Quick summary of standard counter-arguments.)

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  28. #88
    This tournament experience is as important for Larry as it is the players. They are learning how to win games in adverse situations without a lot of prep time and that is a good thing, and frankly a weakness of Krystkowiak.

    We are also the highest seeded team left in the NIT, we should be able to do this.

    Side note: I was actually happy to see Tillman drop off that double team of Landale, because you could see he immediately knew what he did wrong. His shutdown of Landale after that is a good sign of things to come for him, only the Zags have been able to get him off his game like that.

  29. #89
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    They are learning how to win games in adverse situations without a lot of prep time and that is a good thing, and frankly a weakness of Krystkowiak.
    Yes, we've all seen meltdowns in crunch time with Larry's teams. That does seem to be turning around. There have been some encouraging examples this season.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  30. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    But Chris Hill! Giacoletti! Boylen! Majerus! (Quick summary of standard counter-arguments.)
    Transfer rate! Running off talent with attitude problems!
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •