Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The 2018 "Why Is That Team On TV?" NIT Tournament Thread

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Transfer rate! Running off talent with attitude problems!
    Dancing!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Seeley has not played at all during the NIT whenever Collette and JJ both go out. Is it because Tillman is more assignment sound? He is so undersized down low. Is Seeley in the doghouse?
    He played against LSU

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    We are also the highest seeded team left in the NIT, we should be able to do this.
    Kenpom of each team:

27. Penn St
    42. Western Kentucky
    47. Miss St
    56. Utah

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    He played against LSU

only at the very end IIRC, when he got his dunk that went viral

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    only at the very end IIRC, when he got his dunk that went viral
    Yeah, he didn't even get time when we were desperate last night.

Because of earlier rumors, I don't know if this is a dog house thing or just the fact that he's so raw. Every time he gets in, he makes some kind of mistake that gets him pulled almost immediately. I'd love to see him turn into a rebounder/enforcer/dunk machine.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post

Because of earlier rumors, I don't know if this is a dog house thing or just the fact that he's so raw. Every time he gets in, he makes some kind of mistake that gets him pulled almost immediately. I'd love to see him turn into a rebounder/enforcer/dunk machine.
    My first guess is lingering injury problems, and we may never hear the whole story. Last month or so of the season, he's been in and out, and when he's out he's wearing one of those black team-issue hoodies that makes me think he didn't even dress. Which could also be a doghouse thing. Maybe.

This makes sense. Good coaches can't stand stupid mistakes--especially on defense. And they can't stand bad or selfish shots. Many players have a real hard time understanding this.

Play D. Don't take stupid shots. PVD can't hit the goddamn broad side of a barn this year--yet he is still getting really meaningful minutes because he plays D and doesn't take stupid shots.

And you can't turn the ball over.
    Last edited by Two Utes; 03-22-2018 at 04:08 PM.

Kenpom of each team:

27. Penn St
    42. Western Kentucky
    47. Miss St
    56. Utah
    Wait, so KenPom has us as the worst remaining team? Zoob.

Thanks to Seattle Ute and is unbelief in this team I am taking my hard earned $ from that bet and am seeing the Utes in MSG with my 10 year old. Flying up from North Carolina for the day will great experience he shoudl remember.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Thanks to Seattle Ute and is unbelief in this team I am taking my hard earned $ from that bet and am seeing the Utes in MSG with my 10 year old. Flying up from North Carolina for the day will great experience he shoudl remember.
    Totes jelly!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Totes jelly!
    I'm a little embarrassed to be excited about watching NIT basketball.
    This team remains a mystery to me, but I like its chances today.

I suppose it hinges on Collette's back and Barefield's scoring.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

I'm not embarrassed. I'm just happy to have a game to look forward to tonight. I know nothing at all about WKU. Let's see what ESPN knows.

8 man rotation. Justin Johnson leads the team in scoring, rebounding, FG%, and 3FG%. He almost averages a double double. He's 6'7", 245.

They also have a shot blocker - Coleby. He gets 1.7 bpg and 7.9 rpg. Seems like a strong rebounding team.

Only 4 guys seem to be outside shooters. That's unusual in college basketball nowadays.

Five guys in double digits for scoring. Very balanced.

Darius Thompson has a great line of stats: 13.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.5 spg, 47% FG, 73% FT, 36% 3FG.

I'm not embarrassed. I'm just happy to have a game to look forward to tonight. I know nothing at all about WKU. Let's see what ESPN knows.

8 man rotation. Justin Johnson leads the team in scoring, rebounding, FG%, and 3FG%. He almost averages a double double. He's 6'7", 245.

They also have a shot blocker - Coleby. He gets 1.7 bpg and 7.9 rpg. Seems like a strong rebounding team.

Only 4 guys seem to be outside shooters. That's unusual in college basketball nowadays.

Five guys in double digits for scoring. Very balanced.

Darius Thompson has a great line of stats: 13.9 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 4.7 apg, 1.5 spg, 47% FG, 73% FT, 36% 3FG.
    A couple of their guys are transfers from bigger programs as well. Beat Purdue early in the season. This is a good squad.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Solon View Post

The fun thing about this team for me is we don't rely on one or two guys showing up to get a win. Barefield and Collette could be no shows or have marginal games, but Bibbins and Rawson could lead us to a win. Bealer, Jace, and/or PVD can step in and provide a boost. Opposing coaches probably have a hard time game planning against this team.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

So...apparently no Jayce tonight. Rolled his ankle in practice yesterday. Brilliant.

30 minutes to tip and they haven't opened the doors to the stadium. Wtf?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

So that rebounds thing again.

I can tell Just listening on the radio that they're out-quicking us. Sounds like they’re bigger too. This could get very ugly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I can tell Just listening on the radio that they're out-quicking us. Sounds like they’re bigger too. This could get very ugly.
    no Jayce tonight, is he hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    no Jayce tonight, is he hurt?

MRD told me that Jayce hurt his ankle in practice and is a no-go tonight.
    Dwight posted above too.

Bummer.
    σοφῷ ἀνδρὶ Ἑλλὰς πάντα.
    -- Flavius Philostratus, Life of Apollonius 1.35.2.

32-32 at the half. For as terribly as we played to start, I suppose this isn't all bad.

Throughout the season, every time I see Rawson dribble or pass on the perimeter, I cringe a little bit.

Rawson...your two turnovers are now forgiven.

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Rawson...your two turnovers are now forgiven.
    Utah by 5!

One more game and a rare chance to the end the season with a win.

Utah by 5!

One more game and a rare chance to the end the season with a win.
    Not entirely sure how we won that game! WKU played with a lot of energy and swagger, but ultimately that may have been their demise with two offensive fouls down the stretch. I love Justin Bibbins...and I love that he finds a way to get into it with someone on the other team pretty much every game. What a great addition he has been to this squad.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Not entirely sure how we won that game! WKU played with a lot of energy and swagger, but ultimately that may have been their demise with two offensive fouls down the stretch. I love Justin Bibbins...and I love that he finds a way to get into it with someone on the other team pretty much every game. What a great addition he has been to this squad.
    Their aggressive defense and a few boneheaded mistakes gave us free points at the line in the 3rd and 4th when we were having a hard time scoring. They had a handful of fouls 50 feet away from the basket.

Rawson’s three was huge (and ballsy considering how badly he had missed a few). Collette and Bibbins taking charges were also big, but I think we all can agree the MVP of the game was Dr Chris Hill.

Thanks Chris for winning that game for us.

Penn St:

8 man rotation, but all the scoring comes from the starting 5.

Tony Carr, stat sheet stuffer. 19.7 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 4.8 apg. 44% 3FG.

4 of the 5 starters get 5 rpg or better. They rebound, these lions.

Mike Watkins gets 12 ppg, 9 rpg, and 2.3 bpg. Shoots 68% from the field. I'm guessing these are almost all dunks.

Josh Reaves gets 2.2 spg. That's a lot of stealing.

Like WKU, this is not an outside shooting team. They have only three players who shoot from beyond the arc.

PSU beat Ohio State three times. Until the NIT, that was it for them. They lost to all the other good teams on their schedule.

This afternoon I had a plane flight back home from Northern California. It was delayed, so I got to listen to most of the game on the radio, but we took off with about two minutes to go. So I did not get to hear the last two minutes live. When I got home I watched my recording of the fourth quarter. Man, that was a tight game, it could easily have gone the other way. I’m really impressed by, and proud of, the way these Utes have learned to stay focused in crunch time. It’s been a great improvement to see, because that has been a weakness in Larry’s teams.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Rawson’s three was huge (and ballsy considering how badly he had missed a few). Collette and Bibbins taking charges were also big, but I think we all can agree the MVP of the game was Dr Chris Hill.

Thanks Chris for winning that game for us.

The demigod strikes!