Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NCAA Tournament Thread

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Boy, I don't think I could disagree with a statement more. You think that game was better than (just the ones I can remember off the top of my head): Walton v. David Thompson; Ewing v. Worthy/Perkins/Jordan, Ewing v phi slamma jamma, villanova v Gtown, Fab 5 v. UNC?

or in the semis Duke v. unlv or duke v UK (Laettner shot).

All of those games were better IMHO because the quality of the play and players was much better and many of the matchups titanic. College basketball has been diluted and diminished. It is a lot of fun to watch, but it is basically a three week season, and a lot of the players that could make it really exciting are in the NBA.
    The nova game belongs on the list for sheer drama and for the underdog story. An all time great game.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Something great about this Villanova team is that the guys who rode the bench to a title two years ago are now starters on this year's 1-seed.

I don't see the majerus comparison, though. Majerus teams were defined by defense and rebounding. Villanova is defined by outside shooting.

That's the biggest change in basketball at all levels - it's all about the three now. A Tom Izzo, out-work-you team can only go so far in today's basketball.
    http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...html?amphtml=y

Boy, I don't think I could disagree with a statement more. You think that game was better than (just the ones I can remember off the top of my head): Walton v. David Thompson; Ewing v. Worthy/Perkins/Jordan, Ewing v phi slamma jamma, villanova v Gtown, Fab 5 v. UNC?

or in the semis Duke v. unlv or duke v UK (Laettner shot).

All of those games were better IMHO because the quality of the play and players was much better and many of the matchups titanic. College basketball has been diluted and diminished. It is a lot of fun to watch, but it is basically a three week season, and a lot of the players that could make it really exciting are in the NBA.
    Grandpa, that was a long time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    If you dont remember them well you must have Alzheimers, since you must have been at Gtown then. I take your retort as an admission that your statement re the greatest game ever was myopic, uniformed, and very wrong.
    Last edited by concerned; 03-17-2018 at 04:28 PM.

If you dont remember them well you must have Alzheimers, since you must have been at Gtown then. I take your retort as an admission that your statement re the greatest game ever was myopic, uniformed, and very wrong.
    Don't forget Texas Western v Kentucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Don't forget Texas Western v Kentucky.
    I did think about that, but thought it was not a great game, was it? Not hat close??? Just historically significant? Dont remember. Also the astrodome kareem elvin hayes game.

I’ve been a passionate college basketball fan most of my life, and well remember every game you listed. It’s my favorite sport. I watched all the games you listed. Lately, my interest in the national scene has waned somewhat as I haven’t had a dog in the fight, and as I get older, I have plenty of other stimuli, and I’m super busy and don’t have time to watch that many games.

So, like you, I’m very nostalgic for college baskegtaball’s past. Your sweet memories are mine too. But I do believe that the world gets better, not worse. Certainly college basketball has changed, but I doubt it’s worse. The games are great. And the fact is, there are more players, and more better players. Everything is bigger, faster, more competitive, yet there’s never been more parity—in college basketball and everything else. It’s different, and it’s possible to enjoy it as much or more as before.

I certainly don’t want to abridge the ecomic liberty of the kids who want to go early to the NBA. I say this while I’m a passionate believer that it’s obviously true that except for the few who can get an NBA contract, the players are demonstrably better off getting a college degree. I’ve expressed those views here in the past.

My barb was about the hazards of our natural tendency to be nostalgic for the past and disdain change. I would say that as in other facets of human existence, college basketball has progressed.

Unbelievable ending to the day. Great couple days of basketball.

Texas Western won by 7. I think the game was always close. Neither team got a big lead.
    The Astrodome game was during the regular season. UCLA trounced then in the NCAA's.

Texas Western won by 7. I think the game was always close. Neither team got a big lead.
    The Astrodome game was during the regular season. UCLA trounced then in the NCAA's.
    I remember the hype over the duel between Lew Alcindor (Kareem) and “The Big E,” Elvin Hayes. I was in the 7th grade and that game was all any sports fan talked about. This Wikipedia summary tells it the way I remember it. I still remember the SI covers about both games, especially the one about UCLA’s revenge win in the NCAA Tournament, 101-69.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game...ge_basketball)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Im quite well aware that the astrodome game was regular season, tgat is why i referenced it as the astrodome game. It broke ucla's win streak and was the highest rated game for a long long time. Alcindor had a scratched cornea that healed be tourney time, and was the reason he started wearing goggles.

I’ve been a passionate college basketball fan most of my life, and well remember every game you listed. It’s my favorite sport. I watched all the games you listed. Lately, my interest in the national scene has waned somewhat as I haven’t had a dog in the fight, and as I get older, I have plenty of other stimuli, and I’m super busy and don’t have time to watch that many games.

So, like you, I’m very nostalgic for college baskegtaball’s past. Your sweet memories are mine too. But I do believe that the world gets better, not worse. Certainly college basketball has changed, but I doubt it’s worse. The games are great. And the fact is, there are more players, and more better players. Everything is bigger, faster, more competitive, yet there’s never been more parity—in college basketball and everything else. It’s different, and it’s possible to enjoy it as much or more as before.

I certainly don’t want to abridge the ecomic liberty of the kids who want to go early to the NBA. I say this while I’m a passionate believer that it’s obviously true that except for the few who can get an NBA contract, the players are demonstrably better off getting a college degree. I’ve expressed those views here in the past.

My barb was about the hazards of our natural tendency to be nostalgic for the past and disdain change. I would say that as in other facets of human existence, college basketball has progressed.
    I am going to go ahead and agree with Seattle on this. This weekend's games have been unreal fun to watch. This is as good as college basketball gets.

And, it's just another reminder that the NCAA tournament is the greatest tournament in the world, bar none.

Texas Western led by 11 at one point, and in an era with no 3-point shot and no shot clock, winning by 7 then is akin to winning by 10-12 today. It wasn't a rout, but the Miners controlled that game from start to finish.

Nevada comes back from a 22-point second half deficit.

Dedicating my life to watching basketball for the last four days is the best decision I've ever made.

You're 7 years younger than grandpa.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I meant no offense. I was poking fun at his insistence on looking backwards, not forward. it’s just one of my habits. I get peevish about things such as studies purporting to show that it’s better to take notes by hand than on a laptop.

Is that true? I never would have guessed. He looks so much older than me.

Best.

Tournament.

Ever.

Full stop.

BTW, the UMBC Athletics account was gold over the weekend.

https://twitter.com/UMBCAthletics

Free low quality tournament analysis right here:

South: the most exciting bracket turns into a huge gift for Kentucky. Their path to a final four: Davidson, Buffalo, Kansas St, Loyola/Nevada. Arrgh, not a looker in the bunch.

Kentucky/Kansas St. There's nothing special about KState. Kentucky rolls.

Nevada/Loyola. Loyola has been very good, but their run ends here. Wolfpack doesn't need a dramatic comeback this time.

West: the basketball gods are almost as kind to Gonzaga as they are to Kentucky.

Gonzaga/FSU. FSU is the type of team that can beat anyone once. They done used their win up. They will go down hard to the Zags.

Michigan/Texas A&M. Wolverines haven't played a good game yet, but they dodged the UNC bullet and will advance to the elite 8.

East: As close to chalk as you can get in 2018.

Villanova/West Virginia. This is the #1 game of the round of 16. Both teams are highly entertaining. Both are very good. Can Nova's skill beat WVU's toughness? Yes, yes it can. Wildcats advance.

Texas Tech/Purdue. The little 2/3's that nobody believed in both reached the sweet 16. I still don't believe in Tech. Purdue in a close one.

Midwest: CBS praying for a Duke/Kansas game. The only shot at a marquee match up until the final four.

KU/Clemson. Tigers a speed bump on Kansas' path. Jayhawks roll.

Duke/Syracuse. They only played once this year, and Duke rolled 60-44. The Orange feel different now, but Duke/Kansas was meant to be. Duke wins a close one.

So....yes, I predict that the upsets are over. Time for chalk to take over.

You take on too large a burden of proof when you say one-and-done is irrelevant, unless by "irrelevant" you mean irrelevant to the eventual championship, and even that proposition goes too far. Here's a more fact-based and nuanced analysis of the one-and-done era's impact on college basketball:

Read the whole thing. It's good:

https://herosports.com/news/college-...c-gonzaga-ahah
    Since 2003:

2003: Syracuse wins with Melo. The first one-and-done national championship.
    2004: UConn wins without a one-and-done. Emeka Okafor and Hilton Armstrong.
    2005: UNC wins. One-and-done Marvin Williams was a big part of the team's success and scored the game winning basket in the title game, but the other stars (McCants, Felton, and May) were all juniors.
    2006 and 2007: Florida, back-to-back. No one-and-dones.
    2008: Kansas. No one-and-dones.
    2009: UNC. A couple of two-and-dones, but no one-and-dones. It was Hansbrough, Lawson, and Green.
    2010: Duke. No one-and-dones. Scheyer, Smith, Singler, one of those Plumlee's.
    2011: UConn. Lamb was a two-and-done, so no 1-and-dones on this team.
    2012: Kentucky. Kidd-Gilchrist and Teague were both one-and-done's.
    2013: Louisville. No one-and-dones. Harrell played two years.
    2014: UConn. The most surprising national champion on this list. No one-and-dones. No stars at all, really. Just Napier and one crazy run.
    2015: Duke. Pure one-and-done. Okafor, Jones, and Winslow.
    2016: Nova. No one-and-dones.
    2017. UNC. Bradley was a one-and-done. He was the primary big off the bench.

So there it is.

I get peevish about things such as studies purporting to show that it’s better to take notes by hand than on a laptop.

A most apt analogy, Dr. Pangloss. There is nothing to say in response.

Loved the Nevada come-back.

I meant no offense. I was poking fun at his insistence on looking backwards, not forward. it’s just one of my habits. I get peevish about things such as studies purporting to show that it’s better to take notes by hand than on a laptop.
    Attention, Students: Put Your Laptops Away

--Yeats

The problem is a lack of good note taking software.

Notes are more than text. Sometimes it is about pictures, diagrams and relationships between things that can't be expressed with pure text.

In the past I used Microsoft OneNote to do a lot of note taking. One advantage it has is that you can insert images into your data, and OneNote will text search your images for data. So you could take pictures of text and it'll find it. Unfortunately that's only useful if you have something on your screen to take a screen clipping of. I don't know how professors present these days and if it is all still projector based or if their notes are online, but if they're not online then you don't have that capability.

One problem is that OneNote is only available in Windows. You can use their Office365 OneNote web product, but it has some serious limitations: It won't text search images and their nested folders can only go 2 deep, which makes for an organizational mess.

You could just use Google Docs and structure your folders accordingly. It supports rich text and embedded images. But it feels too much like a word processor. It keeps trying to format your text like a term paper.

So lately I've been playing with tools that use MarkDown, which is basically an expansion of HTML. Specifically I've been using Atom. It allows you to do rich text and add images, although images aren't embedded directly. You just need to have it on your hard drive and then reference it locally with a path name. Plus, since it isn't in a browser it hurts from a "my data anytime anywhere", but I usually have my laptop so it isn't a huge hurdle.

I'd like to use something like LucidChart that has a free flowing nature of placing images and relationships, but it doesn't have a ton of rich text support. Plus, you spend more time aligning all your boxes than typing.

Anyway, you triggered me.

/rant

2018 NCAA Tournament Thread

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    The problem is a lack of good note taking software.

Notes are more than text. Sometimes it is about pictures, diagrams and relationships between things that can't be expressed with pure text.

In the past I used Microsoft OneNote to do a lot of note taking. One advantage it has is that you can insert images into your data, and OneNote will text search your images for data. So you could take pictures of text and it'll find it. Unfortunately that's only useful if you have something on your screen to take a screen clipping of. I don't know how professors present these days and if it is all still projector based or if their notes are online, but if they're not online then you don't have that capability.

One problem is that OneNote is only available in Windows. You can use their Office365 OneNote web product, but it has some serious limitations: It won't text search images and their nested folders can only go 2 deep, which makes for an organizational mess.

You could just use Google Docs and structure your folders accordingly. It supports rich text and embedded images. But it feels too much like a word processor. It keeps trying to format your text like a term paper.

So lately I've been playing with tools that use MarkDown, which is basically an expansion of HTML. Specifically I've been using Atom. It allows you to do rich text and add images, although images aren't embedded directly. You just need to have it on your hard drive and then reference it locally with a path name. Plus, since it isn't in a browser it hurts from a "my data anytime anywhere", but I usually have my laptop so it isn't a huge hurdle.

I'd like to use something like LucidChart that has a free flowing nature of placing images and relationships, but it doesn't have a ton of rich text support. Plus, you spend more time aligning all your boxes than typing.

Anyway, you triggered me.

/rant
    Last week I became a beta tester at my firm for the Dell Latitude version of the Microsoft Surface. I asked for this because I wanted to see if I am able to take extensive handwritten notes in tablet mode. I want to go as digital as possible and minimize my paper note-taking, but I’ve never been able to do that on my iPad. I’ll start with OneNote. We’ll see how this goes!
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-20-2018 at 06:53 AM.

--Yeats

Four games, three upsets. Nice.

cross Calipari and Few of the list of potential future Utah hoops coaches. They lost games they were supposed to win.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    cross Calipari and Few of the list of potential future Utah hoops coaches. They lost games they were supposed to win.
    Cal had a Final Four handed him on a platter, but his team just isn't very good.

The hopes of one-and-done programs everywhere now rest on Duke and Kansas!

quick math - if Gonzaga were in the MWC they would have made nearly double what they would have made in the WCC based on NCAA credits.

WCC 2018 tourney payouts $30.6 million

MWC 2018 tourney payouts $71.4 million