Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: The "So Long, Chris Hill" and "Who's the New Athletic Director?" Thread, 2018

The "So Long, Chris Hill" and "Who's the New Athletic Director?" Thread, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This is not true. In the end, it wasn't RPI that kept us out. We needed quadrant 1 wins. We needed to beat Arizona.
    not sure where to put this

Previously unscheduled, Chris Hill press conference tomorrow at 11 am

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post

speculation is either he's announcing his retirement or stadium expansion

There was some speculation last week that the D&F was starting to be replaced by the UU on certain official pieces followed by a guy who’s brother knows Ferris Bueller who’s friend with a guy that works for the athletic department who says we’re dropping the D&F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

speculation is either he's announcing his retirement or stadium expansion
    Expansion would surprise me but I guess it's possible. My darkhorse topic is that it could be addressing the money that Kuzma allegedly got from an agent. "We conducted an internal investigation and discovered it to be an isolated incident, but we'll be vigilant going forward. As a result we've sent the basketball program to bed without dinner to pre-empt any NCAA penalties."

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Expansion would surprise me but I guess it's possible. My darkhorse topic is that it could be addressing the money that Kuzma allegedly got from an agent. "We conducted an internal investigation and discovered it to be an isolated incident, but we'll be vigilant going forward. As a result we've sent the basketball program to bed without dinner to pre-empt any NCAA penalties."
    Strange day for this, just before the NIT Final 4. There’s only one plausible explanation: He’s going to name Senioritis as his successor.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

The timing is just odd, especially for a retirement.

If that’s the case, why not wait a week?

I could see Dr Hill retiring to let the new President pick the AD at the start....but she’s not taking office until next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    The timing is just odd, especially for a retirement.

If that’s the case, why not wait a week?

I could see Dr Hill retiring to let the new President pick the AD at the start....but she’s not taking office until next month.

He probably wouldn't retire immediately. He'd probably phase out over 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    He probably wouldn't retire immediately. He'd probably phase out over 6 months.
    Still an odd time for the announcement. Let the basketball team get through the NIT at least....

Maybe it is an extension and raise for Larry! (And people's heads explode!).

If it is stadium expansion, maybe they've picked a contractor, but word would get out pretty quickly that it was happening, so they wanted to at least announce it.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Haha. Pre-scheduling a press conference to announce his retirement would be in keeping wiht the man’s hubris. I’m sure he fancies himself the Bo Schembeckler of U of U sports.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

I can confirm that I have not as of yet been contacted about the position, but I am keeping my phone line open.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Haha. Pre-scheduling a press conference to announce his retirement would be in keeping wiht the man’s hubris.
    We can only imagine the big stink SeattleUte will make when he retires.

Haha. Pre-scheduling a press conference to announce his retirement would be in keeping wiht the man’s hubris. I’m sure he fancies himself the Bo Schembeckler of U of U sports.
    What you say here in this post says an awful lot more about you than about Chris Hill. And it's not good.

p.s. It's Schembechler.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-26-2018 at 11:46 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

The New Athletic Director Thread, 2018

Time for a thread on this.

I've known Chris Hill since he ran the Crimson Club and he's been a loyal friend always. He was present for, and had a lot to do with, more exciting and pride-inducing moments in University of Utah athletics history than anyone. I'll miss seeing him at the helm.

So what kind of AD do we want next?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-26-2018 at 11:32 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I've known Chris Hill since he ran the Crimson and he's been a loyal always. He was present for, and had a lot to do with, more exciting and pride-inducing moments in University of Utah athletics history than anyone. I'll miss seeing him at the helm.

Until his press conference this morning, I never realized he was so goofy.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Until his press conference this morning, I never realized he was so goofy.
    That was the guy I know.

Riley just interviewed him and is now asking what Chris Hill's legacy is, and is being very complimentary. SU, don't listen. It'll ruin your day.

--Yeats

Chris did mention Kyle Brennan by name in response to a question about the search for the new AD. Bill Riley reminded us listening on the radio that Brennan was the guy who took the AD job at Montana St., but then decided to return to Utah, and that was about 2 years ago. Now that was also under a previous University President, so I imagine there's no loyalty to him, but it is a name to keep an eye on.

I think we have to accept that whoever we hire will be a downgrade. Hill is the best there is. That said, we're in good shape in both major sports. We just need someone to not mess things up.

The next AD may be the person who picks Kyle's replacement when he retires. Maybe.

Interview question: how do you feel about a lifetime contract for a coach as a mutual symbol of loyalty and stability?

I think we have to accept that whoever we hire will be a downgrade. Hill is the best there is. That said, we're in good shape in both major sports. We just need someone to not mess things up.

The next AD may be the person who picks Kyle's replacement when he retires. Maybe.
    So much this.

Good point.

--Yeats

Suggested title: "So Long Dr. Hill and thanks for all the PAC-12"

I'd put my money on Brennan being the new AD. Hill is leaving the school in great shape. Football is taken care of for 10+ years with Kyle, Gary, Jay Hill and Scalley. Basketball seems to be on the right track and Larry is finally getting his ducks in a row.

What we need is money. Our athletic budget is embarrassingly low. We need a fundraiser. Brennan has secured the largest donation ever and has overseen some of the school's greatest monetary increases.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Brennan.

Quote Originally Posted by Utah View Post
    I'd put my money on Brennan being the new AD. Hill is leaving the school in great shape. Football is taken care of for 10+ years with Kyle, Gary, Jay Hill and Scalley. Basketball seems to be on the right track and Larry is finally getting his ducks in a row.

What we need is money. Our athletic budget is embarrassingly low. We need a fundraiser. Brennan has secured the largest donation ever and has overseen some of the school's greatest monetary increases.

I'd be shocked if it wasn't Brennan.
    Yeah - but what does he think about this A,B,C scheduling model in football?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post

I've known Chris Hill since he ran the Crimson Club and he's been a loyal friend always. He was present for, and had a lot to do with, more exciting and pride-inducing moments in University of Utah athletics history than anyone. I'll miss seeing him at the helm.

It’s this kind of irrational adulation that makes me go berserk. Chris Hill had NOTHING to do with the 2008 Sugar Bowl, the 1998 Final Two, the 2004 Fiesta Bowl. It was the players, the coaches, and the fans. He had less to do with it than you. The fact that he has been a party to this kind of false praise is unfortunate and says a lot about his character. Nobody but certain Ute fans like you gives credit to the AD. Who is Duke’s AD; Alabama’s. Do you even know? Do they even get a mention as deserving credit ford the on-field or on-court success of their programs?
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-28-2018 at 02:24 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

It’s this kind of irrational adulation that makes me go berserk. Chris Hill had NOTHING to do with the 2008 Sugar Bowl, the 1998 Final Two, the 2004 Fiesta Bowl. It was the players, the coaches, and the fans. He had less to do with it than fat cats like you. The fact that he has been a party to this kind of false praise is unfortunate and says a lot about his character. He’s your friend, and I’m sure he’s grateful for your hand in his unlikely ascension to Utah athletic director form HS coach and your loyalty. I’m sure you’re grateful for the access he’s provided you to U of U sports. This is all well and good, but it’s why (in addition to the patent absuridity) we should not accept your hollow praise as fact. Nobody but certain Ute fans like you gives credit to the AD. Who is Duke’s AD; Alabama’s. Do you even know? Do they even get a mention as deserving credit ford the on-field or on-court success of their programs?
    Seriously? You don't think the guy at the top of the organization, who hired three of the best coaches in their field to achieve those accomplishments, had NOTHING to do with it? You're certainly welcome to argue the relative importance of the various actors, but it is 100% impossible to argue that Hill had NOTHING to do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Seriously? You don't think the guy at the top of the organization, who hired three of the best coaches in their field to achieve those accomplishments, had NOTHING to do with it? You're certainly welcome to argue the relative importance of the various actors, but it is 100% impossible to argue that Hill had NOTHING to do with it.
    So that’s why he has more to do with the success of the Utah athletic programs than anyone who ever lived? Because he hired the coaches who were good? I don’t dispute he hired the coaches. Okay. He hired the coaches.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

AD's do two things:

1) Hire coaches

2) Get money

Hill has done as well as any AD in those two things.

For some perspective, consider USC and UCLA. Of the top 5 programs in basketball history, how many are struggling? Only UCLA. Their AD hired Steve Alford. USC has been alright, but they are not what they should be in football. Their AD's have been disastrously bad with hiring. Those are places where hiring a coach should be easy, and they've blown it.

It's unclear to me how much credit a good AD should get, but it is clear that a bad AD can really wreck things.

I'm mixed on Chris' legacy but I give him credit for managing us into the Pac-12, hiring Majerus, Meyer, Whittingham and Larry. Financially, the department's been in very capable hands under his management. I think Chris has managed stadium expansion well. He's taken a thoughtful, measured approach. I was heartened by the announcement today that expansion is happening.

I think Chris has some very good people around him as well in day-to-day operations and he deserves credit for bringing them in and getting out of their way. Kyle Brennan is one of those. I don't agree or disagree with those who think Brennan should replace Chris. He should certainly be considered. Utah's comment about him securing a large gift is completely out of the blue to me. Although it's been a few years since I worked at the U, I'm close to a few of the athletics development people and they would tell you Brennan is very inexperienced in development.

I'll say this about the search - I expect we'll get a terrific athletic director. If that's Kyle Brennan, terrific. If it's someone else, terrific. I have a lot of faith in Ruth Watkins. I think I read a post saying we can't do better than Chris or this next hire will be a step down. I completely disagree with that statement. I think Chris was a solid step forward in athletic administration at the time of his hire. This can and should be another step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I'm mixed on Chris' legacy
    Why is that? Seattle is apparently anti-Hill as some weird way of antagonizing LAUte. Why would anyone else be down on Hill?