Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 120

Thread: The "So Long, Chris Hill" and "Who's the New Athletic Director?" Thread, 2018

  1. #61
    Lousville is hiring Xavier's coach. That’s brilliant! Brilliant! How did the AD think of that?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    That too was an interesting situation. Imagine that kind of story coming out in 2018, and the mob mentality that exists on social media now and the hue and cry that there would be to fire Majerus.
    I can’t tell if you agree with the purported “mob mentality” or not. Regardless, I disagree that Majerus would have elicited that reaction. It’s irrelevant anyway, since he left 12 years ago.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  3. #63
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    4,963
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Both hires were at least the 3rd choice if not 4th or more if I remember correctly.

    The first time around we were turned down by Trent Johnson (LSU) and Mike Montgomery...and maybe even Mark Few? So he went to Few's top Lieutenant. It was a disaster, but I get it.

    The second time around we know he wanted Larry, but he got promoted with the Bucks, and then I believe we were turned down by someone else (it all escapes me now) before settling on Izzo's top Lieutenant.

    Now, we can disagree at how he arrived at those choices, but even so, we were also getting turned down and passed over by good worthy candidates. Not sure how much of that falls on Hill.
    Randy Bennett?

  4. #64
    Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Randy Bennett?
    He "turned us down" when we ultimately hired Larry. I was thinking that someone else during that second search turned us down as well...maybe that was when there was an ever so slight Dave Rose rumor.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I can’t tell if you agree with the purported “mob mentality” or not. Regardless, I disagree that Majerus would have elicited that reaction. It’s irrelevant anyway, since he left 12 years ago.
    Not really. I loved big Rick and was sad to see him go.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    He "turned us down" when we ultimately hired Larry. I was thinking that someone else during that second search turned us down as well...maybe that was when there was an ever so slight Dave Rose rumor.
    Edit- nevermind
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 03-27-2018 at 05:22 PM.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  7. #67
    I don’t blame Hill for the Giacoletti or Boylen hires. He hired the best available coach, as always. It’s not like there are ever a lot of good choices. Or it wouldn’t be the case that most of the teams are bad.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  8. #68
    Thank goodness Chris Hill has gotten us back in this game. We couldn’t have done it without him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #69
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Thank goodness Chris Hill has gotten us back in this game. We couldn’t have done it without him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's in the building...maybe he gave the team a pep talk....#YouKnowThatBobby!
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  10. #70
    Double bonus. Just gotta keep getting to the line now.

  11. #71
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post

    I never hear the AD who hired Christ Peterson credited for making the Huskies a national power. To most people that would be patently ridiculous.
    Why am I not surprised that you don't see the difference between a P5 UW hiring Chris Petersen and G5 Hill hiring Majerus or Meyer?

  12. #72
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    Thank goodness Chris Hill has gotten us back in this game. We couldn’t have done it without him.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I usually don’t like to take credit for these things, but this time I must reveal that I made a burnt offering to our demigod just prior to the game. That’s what made the difference. You’re welcome.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  13. #73
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I usually don’t like to take credit for these things, but this time I must reveal that I made a burnt offering to our demigod just prior to the game. That’s what made the difference. You’re welcome.
    You sure you didn't do it between the 1st and 2nd quarter?
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

  14. #74
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    You sure you didn't do it between the 1st and 2nd quarter?
    I won’t reveal my methods or timing.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  15. #75
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859

    The "So Long, Chris Hill" and "Who's the New Athletic Director?" Thread, 2018

    I think this is a helpful definition.

    dem·i·god
    ˈdemēˌɡäd
    noun

    a being with partial or lesser divine status, such as a minor deity, the offspring of a god and a mortal, or a mortal raised to divine rank.
    "some Roman emperors claimed descent from demigods such as Hercules"
    But wait:

    a man who is greatly admired or respected.
    "a former juvenile delinquent who would become a counterculture demigod"
    Hey, maybe Seattle Ute has accidentally hit on something.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-28-2018 at 12:34 AM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  16. #76
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Drew Hansen for AD

    I just heard last night that Drew Hansen has thrown his hat in the ring for the AD job. He knows he's a long-shot candidate, but I think he has a chance. I also think he'd be great. One thing USC does right is to emphasize their tradition in their choice of AD: Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann. Alumni and boosters love that. Drew comes from the most storied team in the most storied era of Utah basketball. He's also very intelligent (Stanford Law School) and has the competitive drive you'd expect from a D1 athlete who knows how to win -- and that you'd also expect from a lawyer and litigator who is still winning.


    Of course the decision will be up to the search committee. I hope they give Drew a hard look.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Drew Hansen for AD

    One thing USC does right is to emphasize their tradition in their choice of AD: Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann. Alumni and boosters love that. er and litigator who is still winning.


    Of course the decision will be up to the search committee. I hope they give Drew a hard look.
    You think USC did that right? You think their hires are an argument supporting Drew Hansen? USC's seriatum hires is the best rejoinder to SeattleUte's assertion that AD's don't matter or don't deserve credit.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Drew Hansen for AD

    I just heard last night that Drew Hansen has thrown his hat in the ring for the AD job. He knows he's a long-shot candidate, but I think he has a chance. I also think he'd be great. One thing USC does right is to emphasize their tradition in their choice of AD: Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann. Alumni and boosters love that. Drew comes from the most storied team in the most storied era of Utah basketball. He's also very intelligent (Stanford Law School) and has the competitive drive you'd expect from a D1 athlete who knows how to win -- and that you'd also expect from a lawyer and litigator who is still winning.


    Of course the decision will be up to the search committee. I hope they give Drew a hard look.
    Drew is an interesting candidate. As I look back at Hill's career, I would have to give him an A in administration. Other than the swim team blemish, there have not been a lot of negative issues in the Athletic Department. I would give him a B+ or A- in hiring, Giac and Boylen being the big misses. I can't give him any higher than a C in fund raising. Hill seemed to lack the vision, the ability or the desire to really beat the bushes in terms of fundraising. He had Huntsman and Eccles on speed-dial and did not appear to reach out and develop relationships beyond those two.

    I have to believe that Kyle Brennan's decision to not take the Montana AD job last summer or the previous one was at least partially influenced by discussions about replacing Hill. I knew Brennan when he was Director of Compliance. He seems like a smart person and a good administrator. He is not particularly personable.

  19. #79
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    You think USC did that right? You think their hires are an argument supporting Drew Hansen? USC's seriatum hires is the best rejoinder to SeattleUte's assertion that AD's don't matter or don't deserve credit.
    I certainly don't think USC is the model, just that one thing they do right is to emphasize their tradition. I think that if an otherwise capable candidate is also a beloved former Ute player (a "Utah man"), that excites the fan base -- including the fans who are potential donors. Another approach is simply to hire a proven administrator and hope he can raise money. Not a terrible idea. But a guy who can raise money and excite the fans, and is very, very smart, can hire others to administrate. Just my opinion.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  20. #80

    The "So Long, Chris Hill" and "Who's the New Athletic Director?" Thread, 2018

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Why am I not surprised that you don't see the difference between a P5 UW hiring Chris Petersen and G5 Hill hiring Majerus or Meyer?
    Washington’s hire of Chris Petersen was a lot more improbable than Utah’s of Rick Majerus or Urban Meyer at their stages in their career. Chris Petersen was the hottest coaching commodity in the country. He had rejected numerous top tier suiters to stay at Boise, had just turned down USC—which turned around and took Sarkisian from Washington—and for years literally any job opening was available for him for the taking. Washington replaced Sarkisian with him. Probably the most spectacular coaching hire in this century—considering the stature of the hired coach and point in his career and the second tier status of the program that hired him—was Washington’s hire of Chris Petersen. Those of us who had been following Petersen’s career knew that Washington had guaranteed itself a return to the glory of Don James’s years. It was as if Washington hired Urban Meyer now.

    Yet, I never hear anyone up here say the AD who hired him (I can’t remember his name, honestly) is responsible for the resurgence of Wasington football. Some Utah fans—probably you are one of them—confuse the role of an AD and a pro sports GM.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-28-2018 at 10:34 AM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  21. #81
    USC is not the model to follow at all. If they would just run the ball and play defense, they'd never lose a game. Yet, they can't seem to get that right.

  22. #82
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Just a note to everyone. This is a topic that excites a lot of emotion, primarily because of Seattle Ute, the king of pot stirrers. I’m going to moderate posts that attack anyone personally. So try that approach at your own risk.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  23. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Just a note to everyone. This is a topic that excites a lot of emotion, primarily because of Seattle Ute, the king of pot stirrers. I’m going to moderate posts that attack anyone personally. So try that approach at your own risk.
    Scorching started it. Fascinating that you didn’t edit his post. Mine only echoed his. Why don’t you apply to be a PAC 12 ref?
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  24. #84
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,058
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Washington’s hire of Chris Petersen was a lot more improbable than Utah’s of Rick Majerus or Urban Meyer at their stages in their career. Chris Petersen was the hottest coaching commodity in the country. He had rejected numerous top tier suiters to stay at Boise, had just turned down USC—which turned around and took Sarkisian from Washington—and for years literally any job opening was available for him for the taking. Washington replaced Sarkisian with him. Probably the most spectacular coaching hire in this century—considering the stature of the hired coach and point in his career and the second tier status of the program that hired him—was Washington’s hire of Chris Petersen. Those of us who had been following Petersen’s career knew that Washington had guaranteed itself a return to the glory of Don James’s years. It was as if Washington hired Urban Meyer now.

    Yet, I never hear anyone up here say the AD who hired him (I can’t remember his name, honestly) is responsible for the resurgence of Wasington football. Some Utah fans—probably you are one of them—confuse the role of an AD and a pro sports GM.
    yea I don't know how poor UW can even compete with the who's who of college football?

    - Petersen got a 5 year 18 million dollar deal to live in one of the most desirable cities in the country. A place that has proven it can win championship, in perhaps the most gorgeous college football settings and coach for one of the most prestigious public universities in the country. Petersen grew up in California, coached on the west coast his entire life.

    Wow, what was he thinking, UW really pulled one over on that poor Scientologist.

  25. #85
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Scorching started it. Fascinating that you didn’t edit his post. Mine only echoed his. Why don’t you apply to be a PAC 12 ref?
    OK, your behavior is improving. You only questioned my approach, not my intelligence. Keep it up. Also, try to focus on making statements that are true or at least supportable. For example, the idea that scorcho “started it“ is a bit lacking in that regard.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  26. #86
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Drew Hansen for AD

    I just heard last night that Drew Hansen has thrown his hat in the ring for the AD job. He knows he's a long-shot candidate, but I think he has a chance. I also think he'd be great. One thing USC does right is to emphasize their tradition in their choice of AD: Mike Garrett, Pat Haden, Lynn Swann. Alumni and boosters love that. Drew comes from the most storied team in the most storied era of Utah basketball. He's also very intelligent (Stanford Law School) and has the competitive drive you'd expect from a D1 athlete who knows how to win -- and that you'd also expect from a lawyer and litigator who is still winning.


    Of course the decision will be up to the search committee. I hope they give Drew a hard look.
    Drew Hansen would be a great choice on the merits.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-28-2018 at 02:20 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  27. #87
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    yea I don't know how poor UW can even compete with the who's who of college football?

    - Petersen got a 5 year 18 million dollar deal to live in one of the most desirable cities in the country. A place that has proven it can win championship, in perhaps the most gorgeous college football settings and coach for one of the most prestigious public universities in the country. Petersen grew up in California, coached on the west coast his entire life.

    Wow, what was he thinking, UW really pulled one over on that poor Scientologist.
    And, Petersen was set to go to USC...until USC decided that they wanted to pick his assistant coaches and Petersen wisely backed out.

    Just another example of USC being loyal to their own...to their own demise. Get the best guy for the job.

  28. #88
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,859
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Drew Hansen would be a great choice on the merits.
    He does lack administrative experience, but I don't think that's the main skill an AD needs.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  29. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    He does lack administrative experience, but I don't think that's the main skill an AD needs.
    I think a class action lawyer develops administrative skills.

    As a former star on the Final Two team he may have a natural advantage raising money that would help him improve on Christ Hill’s mediocre fundraising.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  30. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    . . .Christ Hill’s mediocre fundraising.
    Funny typo, given the recent demi-god discussion.
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •