Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: The "So Long, Chris Hill" and "Who's the New Athletic Director?" Thread, 2018

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    You know what they say about backup QB's and popularity.

He hasn't been in the seat to piss people off yet.
    What decision could possibly come Brennan's way in the next 5 years that could get the alumni base angry with him? The stadium needs expansion, and there are probably costs associated with it that could be passed on to the fans. Scheduling can only get better in the revenue sports, so he's got that going for him. Our primary gripes lie largely at the league level.

I feel if Kyle doesn't get the job, it's because there's an AD out there whose resume is just too good to pass up. As I've said before, there are 50 ADs that could keep Utah humming along where it's at. I'm hoping the guy we land is someone that can elevate that status of the program nationally.

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...hris-Hill.html

This is a good read about Kyle Brennan. He appears to be well liked around the University.
    Brennan couldn't have written it better himself. Not only did he get the appropriate blessings, it almost reads as a warning to other candidates: "Don't apply, we've got the guy we want already."

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    What decision could possibly come Brennan's way in the next 5 years that could get the alumni base angry with him? The stadium needs expansion, and there are probably costs associated with it that could be passed on to the fans. Scheduling can only get better in the revenue sports, so he's got that going for him. Our primary gripes lie largely at the league level.

I feel if Kyle doesn't get the job, it's because there's an AD out there whose resume is just too good to pass up. As I've said before, there are 50 ADs that could keep Utah humming along where it's at. I'm hoping the guy we land is someone that can elevate that status of the program nationally.
    I think the one area he needs to work on would be football tickets.

Prices keep going up. Iíve had several long time
    Season ticket holders tell me itís getting more and more difficult for them to afford the their seats.

When you take those jumps and couple them with the questions the expansion survey asked, Iím worried the U is going to price out the truly passionate Ute fans in favor of cash infusion. That, IMO, would be a mistake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I think the one area he needs to work on would be football tickets.

Prices keep going up. I’ve had several long time
    Season ticket holders tell me it’s getting more and more difficult for them to afford the their seats.

When you take those jumps and couple them with the questions the expansion survey asked, I’m worried the U is going to price out the truly passionate Ute fans in favor of cash infusion. That, IMO, would be a mistake.

I know that prices have been going up and it is a dilemma. A few years ago I looked at season ticket prices across the PAC 12 and the only places where comparable tickets were less expensive were Oregon St and WSU. The best option for people feeling the pinch is to buy season tickets and then sell several of the games.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I know that prices have been going up and it is a dilemma. A few years ago I looked at season ticket prices across the PAC 12 and the only places where comparable tickets were less expensive were Oregon St and WSU. The best option for people feeling the pinch is to buy season tickets and then sell several of the games.
    Thatís a terrible option. The people I know buy tickets because they like to go to the games. Selling them defeats the point

The U has a growing problem and itís one they need to fix. Theyíre only taking care of the big money folks and screwing over decades long fans in the name of cash

Thatís reared itís ugly head again this weekend at gymnastics nationals.....to the point my parents who have held season tickets for 40 plus years and have been crimson club members since the beginning are about done.

That’s a terrible option. The people I know buy tickets because they like to go to the games. Selling them defeats the point

The U has a growing problem and it’s one they need to fix. They’re only taking care of the big money folks and screwing over decades long fans in the name of cash

That’s reared it’s ugly head again this weekend at gymnastics nationals.....to the point my parents who have held season tickets for 40 plus years and have been crimson club members since the beginning are about done.

C'mon. You know the NCAA set ticket prices for that meet, not Utah. It was a postseason meet. Blame Utah for being too afraid of not selling out the joint at premium prices and closing the upper bowl as a result. Because if Utah did have control over the ticket prices, they would've set pricing at the same rate it did in the regular season.

As for selling tickets, the secondary market at Utah is much too expansive given the size of the stadium and the renewal rate for season ticket holders. You could argue StubHub and the like are significant (if not the primary) driver of ticket prices.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    C'mon. You know the NCAA set ticket prices for that meet, not Utah. It was a postseason meet. Blame Utah for being too afraid of not selling out the joint at premium prices and closing the upper bowl as a result. Because if Utah did have control over the ticket prices, they would've set pricing at the same rate it did in the regular season.

As for selling tickets, the secondary market at Utah is much too expansive given the size of the stadium and the renewal rate for season ticket holders. You could argue StubHub and the like are significant (if not the primary) driver of ticket prices.
    Címon Pat. Regionals were 2 weeks ago not this weekend, and my post had nothing to do with the cost of tickets, or regionals. (Ticket prices for regionals were reasonable)

The issue was how tickets, obtained through the U, were assigned. Utah fans who bought tickets from the U in the ďUtah sectionĒ, weíre given tickets in the middle of UCLAís section , on the other side of the arena. When fans have travelled that far thatís at best very annoying.

The U has issues with their relations with season ticket holders etc thatís no secret. This is certainly not the first incident Iíve been a part of unfortunately.

C’mon Pat. Regionals were 2 weeks ago not this weekend, and my post had nothing to do with the cost of tickets, or regionals. (Ticket prices for regionals were reasonable)

The issue was how tickets, obtained through the U, were assigned. Utah fans who bought tickets from the U in the “Utah section”, we’re given tickets in the middle of UCLA’s section , on the other side of the arena. When fans have travelled that far that’s at best very annoying.

The U has issues with their relations with season ticket holders etc that’s no secret. This is certainly not the first incident I’ve been a part of unfortunately.

My bad. We went from talking about selling tickets to home games to buying tickets for meets away from home. The word "nationals" escaped me. Still, sounds more like an issue for the host site, and not something that should be placed on Utah. I don't see how being stuck with "enemy" fans at a national meet has anything to do with ticket prices for home football games -- seems like apples and oranges to me.

Not a perfect landing spot for this, but good enough. The Athletic Department is teaching out and asking for feedback on fan experience. https://learfieldsports.turnkeysurve...D229A551B965CC

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Not a perfect landing spot for this, but good enough. The Athletic Department is teaching out and asking for feedback on fan experience. https://learfieldsports.turnkeysurve...D229A551B965CC

Thanks for posting this.

Literally no one who frequents this or any other Ute-centric forum on a regular basis should pass on this opportunity. Some of the stuff borderline doesn't apply to us out-of-staters, but that's the beauty of the survey -- it doesn't cover everything under the sun, but it's thorough.

some kudos for Hill

What steps can be taken, in particular with football, to create the best chance for success over the next three-to-five years. With that in mind, the Hotline will repeat its call for the conference make optimum use of a first-rate resource: Utah athletic director Chris Hill, who is retiring next month.

Hill hired Ron McBride, Urban Meyer, Kyle Whittingham, Rick Majerus and Larry Krystkowiak ó and thatís just the revenue-sports hiring hits.

Hill also ran a fiscally sound department, understands the media landscape, mentored many successful administrators and knows everybody worth knowing.

Yes, he has been moderately critical of the conference on occasion, but thatís all the more reason to tap into his experience:
    The acceptance of differing opinions Ö the willingness to reconsider existing practices Ö are signs of a strong culture and foundations for successful ventures.

As I wrote in late March: Put the man on retainer.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2018/05/...source-to-tap/