Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 31

Thread: Mlb 2018

  1. #1

    Mlb 2018

    Thanks for the free mlb.tv T-Mobile!

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Thanks for the free mlb.tv T-Mobile!

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    I just did this for the first time. I've been watching on my phone. Do you get it on other devices or is it strictly your phone through T-Mobile?

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I just did this for the first time. I've been watching on my phone. Do you get it on other devices or is it strictly your phone through T-Mobile?
    Pretty much any device that has apps (roku, amazon fire, xbox ps3 or 4). I watch it thru the xbox mostly

    Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  4. #4
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,162
    Portland looking to push for A's or Rays

    http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...oup_meets.html

  5. #5
    Two big tiebreakers today!

    What's at stake in NL tiebreaker games?

    NL Central: Brewers-Cubs (1:05 ET, ESPN)

    If Milwaukee wins: Brewers are NL Central champs, host NLDS vs. LAD/COL/CHC starting Thursday. Cubs host wild-card game vs. LAD/COL loser on Tuesday.
    If Chicago wins: Cubs are NL Central champs, host NLDS vs. LAD/COL/MIL starting Thursday. Brewers host wild-card game vs. LAD/COL loser on Tuesday.
    NL West: Rockies-Dodgers (4:09 ET, ESPN)

    If Colorado wins: Rockies are NL West champs, host NLDS vs. ATL starting Thursday. Dodgers visit CHC/MIL loser for NL wild-card game on Tuesday.
    If Los Angeles wins: Dodgers are NL West champs, host NLDS vs. ATL starting Thursday. Rockies visit CHC/MIL loser for NL wild-card game on Tuesday.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

  6. #6
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    That Rockies-Cubs game was a classic. I was sorry anyone had to lose.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That Rockies-Cubs game was a classic. I was sorry anyone had to lose.
    I was not sorry that the Cubs had to lose. Nor will I be sorry when the Dodgers have to lose.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I was not sorry that the Cubs had to lose. Nor will I be sorry when the Dodgers have to lose.
    Rooting guide:

    NL: Rockies, Brewers are a yes. Dodgers, Braves are a no.

    AL: A's, Astros are a yes. Yankees, Indians are a no.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Rooting guide:

    NL: Rockies, Brewers are a yes. Dodgers, Braves are a no.

    AL: A's, Astros are a yes. Yankees, Indians are a no.
    Not quite. Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox are all a no. Brewers, Rockies, Braves, and A's are all a yes. You can exercise your own discretion on the Astros and Indians.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not quite. Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox are all a no. Brewers, Rockies, Braves, and A's are all a yes. You can exercise your own discretion on the Astros and Indians.
    Oh yeah, the Red Sox. Definitely a no. We overlap quite a bit in this. Just swap the Astros and Braves, and you are in good shape.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not quite. Dodgers, Yankees, and Red Sox are all a no. Brewers, Rockies, Braves, and A's are all a yes. You can exercise your own discretion on the Astros and Indians.
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Rooting guide:

    NL: Rockies, Brewers are a yes. Dodgers, Braves are a no.

    AL: A's, Astros are a yes. Yankees, Indians are a no.
    I subscribe to a fairly simple philosophy when rooting for teams which I have no connection: I can't root for you if you are a "big market" team. Essentially, if people are sporting your hat in Panguitch, then you have too many bandwagoners and I hate you. Then, recent success tilts against me rooting for you.

    So the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are a hard NO. I don't care if they haven't won for decades (or centuries in the case of the dodgers), I'm not joining that bandwagon.

    The Brewers are YES. Minus points for the Rockies for being an expansion team during my sports-lifetime, but they are still good to go.

    The Braves are a tough one because they are from a biggish market and they have a ton of bandwagoners from the TBS days (see, e.g., Scratch). I'll cheer for them anyway because they are like Buffalo-lite: they went to the top of the mountaintop a lot, but they usually left empty handed.

    The Astros should be a NO because (a) they won very recently and (b) they are from a biggish market. But their retro unis are a classic, so go Stros!

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I subscribe to a fairly simple philosophy when rooting for teams which I have no connection: I can't root for you if you are a "big market" team. Essentially, if people are sporting your hat in Panguitch, then you have too many bandwagoners and I hate you. Then, recent success tilts against me rooting for you.

    So the Red Sox, Yankees, and Dodgers are a hard NO. I don't care if they haven't won for decades (or centuries in the case of the dodgers), I'm not joining that bandwagon.

    The Brewers are YES. Minus points for the Rockies for being an expansion team during my sports-lifetime, but they are still good to go.

    The Braves are a tough one because they are from a biggish market and they have a ton of bandwagoners from the TBS days (see, e.g., Scratch). I'll cheer for them anyway because they are like Buffalo-lite: they went to the top of the mountaintop a lot, but they usually left empty handed.

    The Astros should be a NO because (a) they won very recently and (b) they are from a biggish market. But their retro unis are a classic, so go Stros!
    If @Big” is based on population Atlanta and Houston are both bigger than Boston


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Oh yeah, the Red Sox. Definitely a no. We overlap quite a bit in this. Just swap the Astros and Braves, and you are in good shape.
    I would agree except for the fact that the Astros won it last year, so now cheering for them starts to make you a little front-runnerish, and the Braves have largely done it the right way, developing lots of exciting young talent.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I would agree except for the fact that the Astros won it last year, so now cheering for them starts to make you a little front-runnerish, and the Braves have largely done it the right way, developing lots of exciting young talent.
    The difference, of course, is that Houston has the greatest pitcher and coolest baseball player since Pedro. Also, the little guy is cool.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    If @Big” is based on population Atlanta and Houston are both bigger than Boston


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fair. But Boston has $$$.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The difference, of course, is that Houston has the greatest pitcher and coolest baseball player since Pedro. Also, the little guy is cool.
    Yeah, Bregman is pretty awesome.

  17. #17
    Go yankees!

  18. #18
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-15-2018 at 12:44 PM.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  19. #19
    This is a pretty fun video that has the last out of every World Series from 1980 through 2016 (older video so no Astros win last year). Only a few series ending hits (Joe Carter!!), a lot of strikeouts and fly balls, not as many ground outs. I graduated high school in 1980 so all of these series occurred in my "adulthood", but could only distinctly remember a few. I remember Willie Wilson's strikeout to Tug McGraw, Joe Carter's homerun, the Twins walk-off in 1991, and the D-Backs win. A lot of the others are not really memorable plays and goes to show that so many memorable plays happen in earlier games in a series or earlier in the clinching games.


  20. #20
    Oh Lord, is it really going to be a Red Sox/Dodgers World Series? I can't think of a worse pairing. Far worse than the Mets/Royals series a few years ago. How can I possibly choose who to root for?

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Oh Lord, is it really going to be a Red Sox/Dodgers World Series? I can't think of a worse pairing. Far worse than the Mets/Royals series a few years ago. How can I possibly choose who to root for?
    I was thinking the exact same thing this morning. Our God has abandoned us in a hell-scape where no joy or happiness is present.

  22. #22
    It infuriates me that I may have to cheer for the Red Sox in the World Series.

  23. #23
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It infuriates me that I may have to cheer for the Red Sox in the World Series.
    There is a alternative, you know. Right there in Chavez Ravine. You can do it.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  24. #24
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Oh Lord, is it really going to be a Red Sox/Dodgers World Series? I can't think of a worse pairing. Far worse than the Mets/Royals series a few years ago. How can I possibly choose who to root for?
    This is rich, coming from a Yankees fan.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  25. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There is a alternative, you know. Right there in Chavez Ravine. You can do it.
    Only if the Dodgers were playing the Yankees.

  26. #26
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Only if the Dodgers were playing the Yankees.
    If it is the Red Sox vs. the Dodgers, I'll be in an interesting position. The Red Sox were the team of my youth, ever since 1967 when I started following them. I was delirious with all other Sox fans in 2004 when they finally won the WS. Since then the bandwagon fans have kind of ruined the way I feel about the franchise. I still am happy when they win, but I don't follow them all that closely any more. In the meantime, 36 years of living in L.A. have turned me into...a Dodgers fan, something I never imagined possible. I have been fond of them since the stodgy O'Malleys sold the team, and especially since the current owners took over. So if it is Dodgers-Red Sox, I will be thrilled if the Dodgers win but still happy if the Red Sox win. It's a weird situation for me. But I hope it happens.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  27. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If it is the Red Sox vs. the Dodgers, I'll be in an interesting position. The Red Sox were the team of my youth, ever since 1967 when I started following them. I was delirious with all other Sox fans in 2004 when they finally won the WS. Since then the bandwagon fans have kind of ruined the way I feel about the franchise. I still am happy when they win, but I don't follow them all that closely any more. In the meantime, 36 years of living in L.A. have turned me into...a Dodgers fan, something I never imagined possible. I have been fond of them since the stodgy O'Malleys sold the team, and especially since the current owners took over. So if it is Dodgers-Red Sox, I will be thrilled if the Dodgers win but still happy if the Red Sox win. It's a weird situation for me. But I hope it happens.
    Between the Dodgers, Red Sox, Lakers, and Highland High I've come to the conclusion that you are a truly bad human being.

  28. #28
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Between the Dodgers, Red Sox, Lakers, and Highland High I've come to the conclusion that you are a truly bad human being.
    Look, leave me alone. The Highland thing I can't help. Some people are simply fortunate enough to be born in the right district for the most awesome high school in SLC. Just ask my fellow Rams concerned and Irving Washington. The Lakers were the only team in the West that was decent when I was a kid, and they had Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and...Wilt. I have always loved them, except not so much during the Shaq-Kobe years. I've explained the Dodgers and Red Sox.

    As for you: How do you explain being a fan of a MLB franchise that is so embarrassed about its own city that it pretends to be from another city 40 miles away that is actually glamorous?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  29. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Look, leave me alone. The Highland thing I can't help. Some people are simply fortunate enough to be born in the right district for the most awesome high school in SLC. Just ask my fellow Rams concerned and Irving Washington. The Lakers were the only team in the West that was decent when I was a kid, and they had Jerry West, Elgin Baylor, and...Wilt. I have always loved them, except not so much during the Shaq-Kobe years. I've explained the Dodgers and Red Sox.

    As for you: How do you explain being a fan of a MLB franchise that is so embarrassed about its own city that it pretends to be from another city 40 miles away that is actually glamorous?
    I'm a Braves fan. I became a Braves fan in the 80s when they came in last every year.

  30. #30
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,417
    Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I'm a Braves fan. I became a Braves fan in the 80s when they came in last every year.
    Why is it that Utes fans tend to cheer for underdogs?

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •