Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 62

Thread: The curious case of the Coach Krystkowiak era

  1. #31
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    If that happens, it should benefit all P5 programs more or less evenly. Strength of schedule is not an absolute; it's measured as a ranking, so it's relative.
    I dont have time to look it up, but we have more upside from last year because Im betting that not many P5 teams had as many anchors dragging down their SOS as we did.

  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I dont have time to look it up, but we have more upside from last year because Im betting that not many P5 teams had as many anchors dragging down their SOS as we did.
    That would be interesting to see. I figured most P5s were more or less like us. The Pac-12 has a disadvantage of not having a challenge game with another P5 conference, so maybe you are right.

  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    I dont have time to look it up, but we have more upside from last year because Im betting that not many P5 teams had as many anchors dragging down their SOS as we did.
    I've only looked at it for the Pac 12 teams, but if we say that a Q4 win is an anchor (now that's a home game vs. 161+ in the RPI - which is a very broad metric) then here is how it shakes out:

    Utah: 6
    Arizona: 5
    ASU: 5
    Cal: 7 (2-5)
    Colorado: 5
    Oregon: 8
    Oregon St: 6
    Stanford: 5 (4-1)
    UCLA: 6
    USC: 7
    Wash: 7
    WSU: 7 (6-1)

    Every team in our league that got Cal and WSU at home added a Q4 win to the schedule, and a road game was only a Q3 win. That hurt the league quite a bit.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    I'm only counting two "tune up" games on the schedule last year if you define it as sub-300 RPI. Was our schedule really that out of whack compared to other tournament teams? What hurt us was not having Xavier on the schedule which was out of our control.
    You are correct about the RPI 300 games on the schedule. We had 2. We also had 2 with 200+ RPIs, and those four games along with Wazzu and Cal gave us our 6 Q4 games.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  5. #35
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    LK mentioned recently he would love to play NC, Duke and Kentucky a dozen times pre-conference, but those teams won't schedule Utah. With the increased regular season conference schedule pushed back to mid-December, introduction of more holiday basketball tournaments, this ridiculous Beehive Classic and a week of finals, I don't imagine it's as simple to schedule as some here think. Additionally, next year's team will be very young most coaches want to build confidence by scheduling some easy wins.

    Scheduling was one of the things most of us hated about Majerus, LK may not have a play anybody-anywhere type mentality, but we've had worse.
    This isn’t about not scheduling NC, Duke and Kentucky. If LK said what you say he said he’s being disingenuous. He needs to schedule the most competitive games he can, exclusively.

    I’ve never heard a coach say he schedules parties to build team confidence.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    With a new emphasis on scheduling up, I feel like the top 125-150 teams will start to schedule each other more and avoid the 151-351 type teams. Could be good for Utah.
    There’s nothing new about the emphasis on scheduling up.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  7. #37
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,993
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    This isn’t about not scheduling NC, Duke and Kentucky. If LK said what you say he said he’s being disingenuous. He needs to schedule the most competitive games he can, exclusively.

    I’ve never heard a coach say he schedules parties to build team confidence.
    Majerus isn't sorry about patsy schedule

    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...y-schedule.com

    Over the years, the University of Utah has gradually upgraded its non-conference basketball schedule. Early in Rick Majerus' reign, the Utes feasted on a steady diet of Humboldt States, but in recent years, teams such as Texas, Wake Forest, Arizona and Southern California have appeared on a regular basis.

    A quick look at this year's Ute schedule shows games with Wake Forest, for the third year in a row, and Providence, a Final Eight team a year ago. But a closer examination reveals a cream-puff lineup of mediocre or worse teams picked to finish at the bottom of their respective conferences (according to Street and Smith Magazine).Let's see, there's Loyola Marymount, picked for last in the West Coast Conference; Oregon State, picked for last in the Pac-10; Wisconsin-Milwaukee, picked for last in the Midwestern Collegiate Conference; Cal-Irvine, picked for last in the Big West; Cal State Fullerton, picked for 4th in the Big West; and Azusa Pacific, an NAIA team.

    Three local schools, Utah State, Weber State and Southern Utah, round out the Ute schedule.

    Majerus acknowledges he has an easier schedule this year, but he has legitimate explanations for some of his opponents.

    "Did I back it off a little bit? Yeah, I backed it off because I had to get guys home to play," he said. "(Michael) Doleac has never played in the state of Oregon and I've been trying to play up there for years. Andre (Miller) deserved a game in L.A. He was recruited on the premise that he'd play in L.A every year and they changed this stupid league so we don't have a game in California this year."

    The home games against Fullerton and Irvine are return games for the ones the Utes played in California last year. The Azusa Pacific game is the annual patsy "exam week" game.

    As for the Wisconsin-Milwaukee game two days after Christmas, Majerus makes no apologies for going back to his old hometown to be with his widowed mother during the holidays.

    "Milwaukee is for me," he said. "It's for my mom. If that's selfish, well, hey, I think I deserve it."

    ADD SCHEDULE: Majerus said another major problem with getting a good schedule is that many of the better programs won't play his team.

    "I would play UCLA home and home every year for the rest of my life," he said. "Same thing with Southern Cal. But they won't play us, so I have to find whoever I can down there."

    Majerus said the schedule should improve dramatically next year.

    "Next year, our schedule, without reservation, will be in the top 10 in the country," he said. "We've got the Maui tournament, we've got Texas, we've got Wake (Forest) again. I'm also looking at North Carolina and Michigan. I'll have the schedule back up to where it's been."

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  8. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    There’s nothing new about the emphasis on scheduling up.
    I think you knew what I meant. With the shift this year to different tiers of games, its being reemphasized.

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Majerus isn't sorry about patsy schedule

    https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...y-schedule.com
    You know, whatever Majerus did in his place and time, worked better than what LK is doing in his place and time.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You know, whatever Majerus did in his place and time, worked better than what LK is doing in his place and time.
    Bingo. Plus, LK has it much easier because technology has removed suffering from our lives.

  11. #41
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You know, whatever Majerus did in his place and time, worked better than what LK is doing in his place and time.

  12. #42
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    15,993
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    You know, whatever Majerus did in his place and time, worked better than what LK is doing in his place and time.
    I was just responding to your claim, which was inaccurate. There’s no shame in that. We still love you.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  13. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Scheduling was one of the things most of us hated about Majerus, LK may not have a play anybody-anywhere type mentality, but we've had worse.
    Total and utter nonsense. I've copied and pasted a post I made on Utefans in response to a claim similar to yours -- that Majerus scheduled worse than Larry.

    Starting with KVH's sophomore year, the number of P5 (and equivalent) teams Utah scheduled in the non-con under Rick

    1994-95: 4
    1995-96: 4
    1996-97: 3
    1997-98: 3
    1998-99: 6
    1999-00: 5
    2000-01: 6
    2001-02: 3
    2002-03: 4
    2003-04: 5

    We also played a lot of road games during this time that we've rarely played under Larry, most notably at Utah State and Weber State, plus an annual roadie in SoCal against Big West or WCC schools.

    The big gripe against Rick's scheduling was that we had a hard time getting teams to come to SLC. A good chunk of the games above came in exempt tournaments or on the road. H-H during this time consisted almost exclusively of Wake Forest, Texas, Alabama and lower level Pac-10 teams (Oregon State, Washington State).
    Last edited by SoCalPat; 04-06-2018 at 11:33 PM.

  14. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    There’s nothing new about the emphasis on scheduling up.
    Am I really standing in solidarity, solely I might add, with SU? Here's why you schedule up at Utah: There's little sizzle about our program. NBA players rate Salt Lake City among the most boring cities in the league, there's not a large A-A community and the kids are in tune with that thinking. Everyone uses that against us, and has for 40 years, and kids just aren't discernible enough to know better. You know what kids understand? Anyone, anytime, anyplace. You put together a bunch of top 50-100 schools in the non-con, they'll come to Utah because kids always want to test themselves against tough competition.

    Also, we need to get rid of our big britches syndrome, and schedule a one-and-done road game against a CBB blueblood. Annually. There's no school that will pass that up. Just make sure it's in the contract that if we win, they make a return trip to SLC or they double our guarantee. And another matter regarding BBS -- go to Logan already. We didn't bigtime the Aggies when we were in the WAC and they were in the Big West, why should it be any different now? Hell, I wouldn't be against making Weber a H-H series again either.

    Scheduling creampuffs just gives our league competition another reason to neg recruit us. It's gotta stop.

  15. #45
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Am I really standing in solidarity, solely I might add, with SU?
    There's not one person on this board arguing that we shouldn't schedule better.

    You and Seattle are being more dramatic about the costs and benefits, but we all want better non con schedules.

  16. #46
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    , but we all want better non con schedules.
    We want that in both basketball and football...

  17. #47
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Total and utter nonsense. I've copied and pasted a post I made on Utefans in response to a claim similar to yours -- that Majerus scheduled worse than Larry.

    Starting with KVH's sophomore year, the number of P5 (and equivalent) teams Utah scheduled in the non-con under Rick

    1994-95: 4
    1995-96: 4
    1996-97: 3
    1997-98: 3
    1998-99: 6
    1999-00: 5
    2000-01: 6
    2001-02: 3
    2002-03: 4
    2003-04: 5

    We also played a lot of road games during this time that we've rarely played under Larry, most notably at Utah State and Weber State, plus an annual roadie in SoCal against Big West or WCC schools.

    The big gripe against Rick's scheduling was that we had a hard time getting teams to come to SLC. A good chunk of the games above came in exempt tournaments or on the road. H-H during this time consisted almost exclusively of Wake Forest, Texas, Alabama and lower level Pac-10 teams (Oregon State, Washington State).
    Majerus scheduled a P5 program OOC (or equivalent on average 3.9 games per year) according to your list. Please educate me on how is that any different than the schedules Larry has put together?

    Krysko's OOC Schedules

    2017-2018 Missouri, Ole Miss, UNLV, Butler, BYU & Xavier (cancelled in June by Xavier so they could play Wiscy)
    2016-2017 Xavier, Butler
    2015-2016 San Diego St, Texas Tech, Duke, BYU, Miami, Temple
    2014-2015 San Diego St, Wichita St, BYU, Kansas, UNLV

    Other than 2013-2014 Larry's first year and 2016-2017, those OOC schedules are comparable, I would even give the edge to Krysko.
    Last edited by Scorcho; 04-07-2018 at 01:10 PM.

  18. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Majerus scheduled a P5 program OOC (or equivalent on average 3.9 games per year) according to your list. Please educate me on how is that any different than the schedules Larry has put together?

    Krysko's OOC Schedules

    2017-2018 Missouri, Ole Miss, UNLV, Butler, BYU & Xavier (cancelled in June by Xavier so they could play Wiscy)
    2016-2017 Xavier, Butler
    2015-2016 San Diego St, Texas Tech, Duke, BYU, Miami, Temple
    2014-2015 San Diego St, Wichita St, BYU, Kansas, UNLV

    Other than 2013-2014 Larry's first year and 2016-2017, those OOC schedules are comparable, I would even give the edge to Krysko.
    FWIW, we also played Wichita State in 2015-16 as well.

    Rick's last three year's non-con SOS, per Pomeroy (he doesn't go back any further)

    2001-02: 123
    2002-03: 117
    2003-04: 188

    Larry's last five years non-con SOS

    2013-14: 350
    2014-15: 138
    2015-16: 114
    2016-17: 322
    2017-18: 190

    I really wish KenPom had the three years previous to the last three of Majerus, when we had our greatest concentration of P5 and equivalent teams on the schedule.

    Utah was also probably the last team in the tournament in 2001-02. 123 NCSOS isn't too shabby, and certainly didn't keep us out of the tournament. I'd like to think with a non-con in that range in our NIT years, we're in the Dance in a minimum of one of those three years, and likely two.

  19. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    There's not one person on this board arguing that we shouldn't schedule better.

    You and Seattle are being more dramatic about the costs and benefits, but we all want better non con schedules.
    I think there's a lot of disagreement on how we improve the schedule.

  20. #50
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I think there's a lot of disagreement on how we improve the schedule.
    Maybe. I'm the only one who's made any suggestions as to how, and you don't believe the big east challenge is possible.

  21. #51
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Maybe. I'm the only one who's made any suggestions as to how, and you don't believe the big east challenge is possible.
    In theory, it's a great idea. And if it can be done, I would be all for it. But yes, in execution, I don't think it's possible.

  22. #52
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    There's not one person on this board arguing that we shouldn't schedule better.

    You and Seattle are being more dramatic about the costs and benefits, but we all want better non con schedules.
    This has been my biggest complaint about K far and away. Play everybody. Anywhere. Utah fans are smart enough to know and discern good wins and good losses. You haven't been paying attention SoCal. We all agree. K MUST schedule better.
    He should be fired if he refuses.

  23. #53
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,097
    Buffaloes dropping Colorado St and Air Force from future basketball schedules

    http://www.buffzone.com/mensbasketba...rivalry-hiatus

  24. #54
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Buffaloes dropping Colorado St and Air Force from future basketball schedules
    Seems like a bad idea unless they can replace with better games. The in-state games are freebies as far as scheduling goes, right?

  25. #55
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,097
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Seems like a bad idea unless they can replace with better games. The in-state games are freebies as far as scheduling goes, right?
    from the article it sounded like those local games have lost interest (weren't sold out) and CU didn't like the RPI hit he took playing them. Fairly similar to Utah vs. Utah St. or Weber

  26. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Seems like a bad idea unless they can replace with better games. The in-state games are freebies as far as scheduling goes, right?
    Looks like they were both H/H series. Both of those teams had terrible RPIs this year (232 for CSU and 254 for Air Force) so even playing them on the road didn't really give the Buffs much of a bump, other than the experience of playing on the road.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

    Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

  27. #57
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    from the article it sounded like those local games have lost interest (weren't sold out) and CU didn't like the RPI hit he took playing them. Fairly similar to Utah vs. Utah St. or Weber
    Well, those two schools were awful as far as RPI goes this season, but I would guess CSU will usually be in the 100s instead of 200s. Maybe if that happens, they add the series again.

  28. #58
    Administrator U-Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    5,027
    It'd be interesting to take a peek at what Utebuntu put together.


  29. #59
    Larry had his end of season luncheon today and did a 45 minute Q&A. Stu Johnson did a 30+ Tweet recap on Twitter. Nothing news breaking but some might find it of value.






    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  30. #60
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Utes View Post
    This has been my biggest complaint about K far and away. Play everybody. Anywhere. Utah fans are smart enough to know and discern good wins and good losses. You haven't been paying attention SoCal. We all agree. K MUST schedule better.
    He should be fired if he refuses.
    I'm aware that many are saying we need to schedule better. I also think that there are many Ute fans across several social media mediums who want to have it both ways -- they know we can schedule better, but offering criticism of Larry in this regard goes against their inner Fanboy.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •