Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2018 NCAA Football Season

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    WSU still an outside shot at the playoff.
    I'd say WSU has more than an outside shot at the playoff. If they can win out, a 12-1 WSU would be right in the mix with a bunch of other 1-loss teams. Of course, Bama and Clemson are all but locked in and Notre Dame might coast in as well. But in the mix of current 1-loss teams in the hunt many of them are still going to lose a second or even third game with the conference championship games still to come. I wouldn't say WSU has an inside track but if they win out they'd have to have something near 50% chance to get in. Then again they're not winning out.

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'd say WSU has more than an outside shot at the playoff.
    Sure, you are right. I should have worded that differently. WSU has a decent shot. They definitely don't control their own destiny, as 1-loss Michigan, OSU, OU, WVU, Georgia, LSU would all get in before them.

I would love to spoil their playoff hopes in December. That would be the sweetest revenge.

Sure, you are right. I should have worded that differently. WSU has a decent shot. They definitely don't control their own destiny, as 1-loss Michigan, OSU, OU, WVU, Georgia, LSU would all get in before them.

I would love to spoil their playoff hopes in December. That would be the sweetest revenge.
    It would be great to get some chaos in the playoff this season.

We need Bama to win out, then all other SEC teams have at least 2 losses.

We need ND to lose at least one. Then the committee is in a tough situation of comparing 11-1 ND to 11-2 schools with tougher schedules.

It would be great to see Clemson lose, but I'm not holding my breath.

Root against OU, WVU, WSU, OSU, Michigan.

At that point, there could be many 2 loss teams in the discussion, and it would basically come down to splitting hairs, brand, coin tosses, etc. It would be guaranteed to be unjust, which is great for chaos.

It would be great to get some chaos in the playoff this season.

We need Bama to win out, then all other SEC teams have at least 2 losses.

We need ND to lose at least one. Then the committee is in a tough situation of comparing 11-1 ND to 11-2 schools with tougher schedules.

It would be great to see Clemson lose, but I'm not holding my breath.

Root against OU, WVU, WSU, OSU, Michigan.

At that point, there could be many 2 loss teams in the discussion, and it would basically come down to splitting hairs, brand, coin tosses, etc. It would be guaranteed to be unjust, which is great for chaos.
    A Utah team that's 11-2, having avenged an earlier loss by defeating that team in a championship game, will have a massive edge over any other two loss team out there contending for the No. 3-4 spot. In effect, we will be viewed as a 1-loss team. As long as branding can stay out of the equation, if the committee has no choice but to have a 2-loss team in its top 4, that team will be Utah.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    if the committee has no choice but to have a 2-loss team in its top 4, that team will be Utah.
    A 2-loss team would probably have to be coming off a win in a conference championship game, so Utah would have an edge. But that could also happen with other schools. I think the following 2 loss teams would get in over Utah:

- OU loses to Texas Tech this week, then gets revenge on Texas in the Big12 title game.
    - Texas loses to WVU or TTech, then beats OU again in the Big12 title (probably works for WVU the same way)
    - Penn State wins out, gets into their title game with tiebreakers over OSU and Michigan.
    - Florida, Kentucky, or Georgia finishes with 2 losses yet still beats Alabama in the SEC title game (both UGa and Kentucky would have to lose again before the title game).

There are just too many things that have to happen to dream of Utah in the playoff. It's alright though; I'm happy dreaming of a Rose Bowl right now.

A 2-loss team would probably have to be coming off a win in a conference championship game, so Utah would have an edge.
    The first rankings are out, and the committee really likes WSU. That's good for us should all the other dominoes fall.

No other real surprises in the rankings.

I think this is the best week of the season.
    An amazing week on paper...kind of a dud in reality. All those games...duds. Texas/WVU was the exception. I saw the end after the Utah game. I was sour from the loss, but I still appreciated Holgo's decision to go for two and the win.

Week 10 was a bust, but week 11 will surely not disappoint!

Well, the weekday games will disappoint. Friday night Fresno @ Boise is the best of the Tuesday-Friday match ups.

Sat morning:

OSU @ MSU. Ohio State is still a playoff contender.
    Wisky @ Penn St. Lions so disappointing last week.
    UNC @ Duke. Bring home the bell!

Sat afternoon:

UCLA @ ASU. Come on Kelly, do something for us.
    MSU @ Bama. I'll keep listing Bama games here, but we all know those games won't be close.
    Okie St @ OU. Bedlam! Cowboy chaos?
    WSU @ CU. It would be a great, classic Coug if CU wins.
    Pitt @ Va Tech. Coastal division up for grabs!
    Oregon @ Utah. Shelly proves there was a reason he was listed #2.

The worst Sat evening of the season:

Auburn @ UGa
    Texas @ TTech
    Clemson @ BC
    Cal @ USC

The Sagarin top 15 with their SOS rank:

Bama, 61
    Clemson, 49
    Michigan, 40
    UGa, 38
    OU, 43
    OSU, 53
    Notre Dame, 47
    Iowa, 32
    Miss St, 27
    Penn St, 16
    West Va, 41
    UW, 45
    WSU, 60
    Utah, 17
    LSU, 60

Just a reminder that a P5 conference schedule provides plenty of SOS to contend for a playoff spot.

The top 5 toughest schedules this year:

UCLA
    Mich St
    Iowa St
    Tennessee
    Northwestern