Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 116

Thread: 2018 NCAA Football Season

  1. #61
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    WSU still an outside shot at the playoff.
    I'd say WSU has more than an outside shot at the playoff. If they can win out, a 12-1 WSU would be right in the mix with a bunch of other 1-loss teams. Of course, Bama and Clemson are all but locked in and Notre Dame might coast in as well. But in the mix of current 1-loss teams in the hunt many of them are still going to lose a second or even third game with the conference championship games still to come. I wouldn't say WSU has an inside track but if they win out they'd have to have something near 50% chance to get in. Then again they're not winning out.

  2. #62
    Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    I'd say WSU has more than an outside shot at the playoff.
    Sure, you are right. I should have worded that differently. WSU has a decent shot. They definitely don't control their own destiny, as 1-loss Michigan, OSU, OU, WVU, Georgia, LSU would all get in before them.

    I would love to spoil their playoff hopes in December. That would be the sweetest revenge.

  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sure, you are right. I should have worded that differently. WSU has a decent shot. They definitely don't control their own destiny, as 1-loss Michigan, OSU, OU, WVU, Georgia, LSU would all get in before them.

    I would love to spoil their playoff hopes in December. That would be the sweetest revenge.
    It would be great to get some chaos in the playoff this season.

    We need Bama to win out, then all other SEC teams have at least 2 losses.

    We need ND to lose at least one. Then the committee is in a tough situation of comparing 11-1 ND to 11-2 schools with tougher schedules.

    It would be great to see Clemson lose, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Root against OU, WVU, WSU, OSU, Michigan.

    At that point, there could be many 2 loss teams in the discussion, and it would basically come down to splitting hairs, brand, coin tosses, etc. It would be guaranteed to be unjust, which is great for chaos.

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Posts
    3,261
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    It would be great to get some chaos in the playoff this season.

    We need Bama to win out, then all other SEC teams have at least 2 losses.

    We need ND to lose at least one. Then the committee is in a tough situation of comparing 11-1 ND to 11-2 schools with tougher schedules.

    It would be great to see Clemson lose, but I'm not holding my breath.

    Root against OU, WVU, WSU, OSU, Michigan.

    At that point, there could be many 2 loss teams in the discussion, and it would basically come down to splitting hairs, brand, coin tosses, etc. It would be guaranteed to be unjust, which is great for chaos.
    A Utah team that's 11-2, having avenged an earlier loss by defeating that team in a championship game, will have a massive edge over any other two loss team out there contending for the No. 3-4 spot. In effect, we will be viewed as a 1-loss team. As long as branding can stay out of the equation, if the committee has no choice but to have a 2-loss team in its top 4, that team will be Utah.

  5. #65
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    if the committee has no choice but to have a 2-loss team in its top 4, that team will be Utah.
    A 2-loss team would probably have to be coming off a win in a conference championship game, so Utah would have an edge. But that could also happen with other schools. I think the following 2 loss teams would get in over Utah:

    - OU loses to Texas Tech this week, then gets revenge on Texas in the Big12 title game.
    - Texas loses to WVU or TTech, then beats OU again in the Big12 title (probably works for WVU the same way)
    - Penn State wins out, gets into their title game with tiebreakers over OSU and Michigan.
    - Florida, Kentucky, or Georgia finishes with 2 losses yet still beats Alabama in the SEC title game (both UGa and Kentucky would have to lose again before the title game).

    There are just too many things that have to happen to dream of Utah in the playoff. It's alright though; I'm happy dreaming of a Rose Bowl right now.

  6. #66
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    A 2-loss team would probably have to be coming off a win in a conference championship game, so Utah would have an edge.
    The first rankings are out, and the committee really likes WSU. That's good for us should all the other dominoes fall.

    No other real surprises in the rankings.

  7. #67
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think this is the best week of the season.
    An amazing week on paper...kind of a dud in reality. All those games...duds. Texas/WVU was the exception. I saw the end after the Utah game. I was sour from the loss, but I still appreciated Holgo's decision to go for two and the win.

  8. #68
    Week 10 was a bust, but week 11 will surely not disappoint!

    Well, the weekday games will disappoint. Friday night Fresno @ Boise is the best of the Tuesday-Friday match ups.

    Sat morning:

    OSU @ MSU. Ohio State is still a playoff contender.
    Wisky @ Penn St. Lions so disappointing last week.
    UNC @ Duke. Bring home the bell!

    Sat afternoon:

    UCLA @ ASU. Come on Kelly, do something for us.
    MSU @ Bama. I'll keep listing Bama games here, but we all know those games won't be close.
    Okie St @ OU. Bedlam! Cowboy chaos?
    WSU @ CU. It would be a great, classic Coug if CU wins.
    Pitt @ Va Tech. Coastal division up for grabs!
    Oregon @ Utah. Shelly proves there was a reason he was listed #2.

    The worst Sat evening of the season:

    Auburn @ UGa
    Texas @ TTech
    Clemson @ BC
    Cal @ USC

  9. #69
    The Sagarin top 15 with their SOS rank:

    Bama, 61
    Clemson, 49
    Michigan, 40
    UGa, 38
    OU, 43
    OSU, 53
    Notre Dame, 47
    Iowa, 32
    Miss St, 27
    Penn St, 16
    West Va, 41
    UW, 45
    WSU, 60
    Utah, 17
    LSU, 60

    Just a reminder that a P5 conference schedule provides plenty of SOS to contend for a playoff spot.

    The top 5 toughest schedules this year:

    UCLA
    Mich St
    Iowa St
    Tennessee
    Northwestern

  10. #70
    Some great football this week:

    Egg bowl Thursday night

    Friday night has UCF @ USF, OU @ WVU (winner plays Texas for the Big12 title), UW @ WSU (winner plays UTAH for the Pac-12 title)

    Sat morning:

    Michigan @ OSU, winner plays Northwestern for Big10 title

    Sat afternoon:

    Iron bowl

    Sat evening:

    SC @ Clemson
    LSU @ A&M, both ranked

    Sat night:

    BYU @ Utah. Winner plays UW/WSU for Pac-12 title.
    USU @ BSU. Winner plays Fresno for MWC title.

  11. #71
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Sat night:

    BYU @ Utah. Winner plays UW/WSU for Pac-12 title.
    USU @ BSU. Winner plays Fresno for MWC title.
    Lol. I see what you did there.

  12. #72
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Some great football this week:

    Egg bowl Thursday night

    Friday night has UCF @ USF, OU @ WVU (winner plays Texas for the Big12 title), UW @ WSU (winner plays UTAH for the Pac-12 title)

    Sat morning:

    Michigan @ OSU, winner plays Northwestern for Big10 title

    Sat afternoon:

    Iron bowl

    Sat evening:

    SC @ Clemson
    LSU @ A&M, both ranked

    Sat night:

    BYU @ Utah. Winner plays UW/WSU for Pac-12 title.
    USU @ BSU. Winner plays Fresno for MWC title.


  13. #73
    This Thanksgiving, I'm thankful that Dr Pepper changed their college football ad campaign. Larry Culpepper gave us years of duds, but Fansville has been pretty good. "But I'm a grillmaster, Doc!" "I can love you and hate your overrated school."
    "Easy, Mom." Brian Bosworth and Eddie George. Thanks, Dr Pepper.
    Last edited by sancho; 11-22-2018 at 08:53 PM.

  14. #74
    Sancho,
    I'm sideways with you on this one. I loved Larry Culpepper - totally miss what I thought was a brilliant campaign. I loved the Steve Smith one last year. At least we agree on our love of the Utes.

  15. #75
    Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Sancho,
    I'm sideways with you on this one. I loved Larry Culpepper - totally miss what I thought was a brilliant campaign. I loved the Steve Smith one last year. At least we agree on our love of the Utes.
    I'm a little worried about you. But I'll take Steve Smith in any commercial (or any other media for that matter).

  16. #76
    I pretty much never don’t cheer for the Huskies when they’re not playing the Utes. But we should all want the Wasu to win this. Much better matchup for us, and we want to play a higher ranked team. But I’m getting that sinking feeling that WA just looks better.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  17. #77
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    But we should all want the Wasu to win this. Much better matchup for us, and we want to play a higher ranked team.
    I'm not sure about the match up. UW has a much better defense, and I think they can stop our offense. They also have the better coach. On the other hand, WSU carved us up for three quarters. I feel like they would have little difficulty scoring against us.

  18. #78
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not sure about the match up. UW has a much better defense, and I think they can stop our offense. They also have the better coach. On the other hand, WSU carved us up for three quarters. I feel like they would have little difficulty scoring against us.
    We lost by a whisker in Pullman. We were never really in the game vs. UW, in our place.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  19. #79
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We were never really in the game vs. UW, in our place.
    Did you watch that game? It was a pretty close one. Every bounce and call went against us. We dropped a TD return that would have made it 21-14. We had two key (incorrect) targeting calls lead to UW scores.

    We were close vs WSU on the road, that is true.

    Both games left you wanting another shot.

  20. #80
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Did you watch that game? It was a pretty close one. Every bounce and call went against us. We dropped a TD return that would have made it 21-14. We had two key (incorrect) targeting calls lead to UW scores.

    We were close vs WSU on the road, that is true.

    Both games left you wanting another shot.
    We lost by two touchdowns to Washington, at home.

    Anyway, UW is better. Look what’s happening in Pullman right now. WSU has won some squeakers, like vs. us and Stanford. To be sure, UW has had some puzzling let downs.

    (As I write this, WSU finally scores just before half on a great call—delayed rush off tackle with 30 seconds in the half and on the UW 12. Had it not, this game would be effectively over.)

    Awsome that we get to play one of these teams in the PAC 12 Super Bowl.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  21. #81
    Senior Member Scorcho's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    right here, right now
    Posts
    1,280
    Sigh! I'd like Utahs chances better against WSU. Our offense might be in for a long night against this defense.

  22. #82
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Sigh! I'd like Utahs chances better against WSU. Our offense might be in for a long night against this defense.
    I do think UW has the best defense in the conference. We are #2. They hit us so hard in September that people started thinking Huntley was going to get Covey injured. And this time we won't have Huntley or Moss.

    On the other hand, Browning has been somewhat disappointing. We've seen him make bad decisions under pressure all season long. Stop Gaskin, pressure Browning, and beat Petersen.

  23. #83
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I do think UW has the best defense in the conference. We are #2. They hit us so hard in September that people started thinking Huntley was going to get Covey injured. And this time we won't have Huntley or Moss.

    On the other hand, Browning has been somewhat disappointing. We've seen him make bad decisions under pressure all season long. Stop Gaskin, pressure Browning, and beat Petersen.
    It goes both ways. We’re a worse matchup for UW than WSU is for the same reason UW is a worse match up for us. Rock breaks scissors.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  24. #84
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,885
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    We lost by two touchdowns to Washington, at home.
    If I recall correctly, (and I watched every minute of that game in Rice Eccles) we pretty much gifted them two touchdowns with 3 turnovers, 2 leading directly to scores. Pita Tonga had 11 yards to go for a pick-6, facing no tacklers, when he inexplicably
    lost the ball out of bounds and we then couldn’t score from the 11.

    Here’s the play by play breakdown of the game:

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=401012742

    We’re not the same team now that we were then. If we just execute we can win. It will be interesting to see what the Vegas line is.

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  25. #85
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    If I recall correctly, (and I watched every minute of that game in Rice Eccles) we pretty much gifted them two touchdowns with 3 turnovers, 2 leading directly to scores. Pita Tonga had 11 yards to go for a pick-6, facing no tacklers, when he inexplicably
    lost the ball out of bounds and we then couldn’t score from the 11.

    Here’s the play by play breakdown of the game:

    http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=401012742

    We’re not the same team now that we were then. If we just execute we can win. It will be interesting to see what the Vegas line is.
    I was making the point that UW is a tougher opponent for us than WSU. I do think we can win. I watched every minute of our win in Husky Stadium three years ago, and of last year’s game where half the stadium emptied with the Utes up by 7 with the ball and four downs with 3 minutes left, only to give up the ball and 10 points in those 3 minutes. That was an inferior Utah team playing probably a better Washington team than this year’s squads. We almost beat them two years ago when they went to the Final Four.

    stop twisting my words.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

    --Albert Einstein

    The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

    --Richard Dawkins

    Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

    --Philo

  26. #86
    Sam the Sheepdog LA Ute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    16,885
    Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    stop twisting my words.
    😀 We’re in agreement. Sweet harmony!

    "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

    "Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

    “True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

    --John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

  27. #87
    Probably helps us Bowl wise to have washington win. Wazzu probably still gets an ny6, opening a slot for Alamo or holiday for us.

  28. #88
    Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Probably helps us Bowl wise to have washington win. Wazzu probably still gets an ny6, opening a slot for Alamo or holiday for us.
    Uh...we will be in the rose bowl this year.

  29. #89
    Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Uh...we will be in the rose bowl this year.
    Yup. Do we want Michigan or Ohio state?

  30. #90
    What a weekend so far. Apple Cup last night was great. The Oklahoma/WVU game was a MAC shootout. Michigan/OSU right now is a 1 score game at halftime. Love it.

    I'm rooting for as much playoff chaos as possible. Go OSU, USC, Auburn, the other USC.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •