Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2018 NCAA Football Season

Opening weekend, and the best game Fox can find for prime time is Baylor vs. Abilene Christian?

edit: my bad, didn’t realize Nebraska vs Akron was on a weather delay. Not that it would be much better.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-01-2018 at 08:03 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Opening weekend, and the best game Fox can find for prime time is Baylor vs. Abilene Christian?
    They had Akron/Nebraska, and they got rained out.

Last night, when Miami was getting torn apart by LSU, someone tweeted out that Fox needs labor day weekend games on Sunday and Monday as well. Give us two options.

Alright, on to week 2.

Friday night: TCU @ SMU. This is the only option. Probably not a close game, but check the score to see. Wouldn't want to miss it if the ponies win.

Sat morning: Slim pickin's this week. Maybe UCLA @ Oklahoma? Maybe Arizona @ Houston? Duke @ Northwestern? I guess we just check the scoreboard and tune in to whatever's closest. Or, do your chores in the morning.

Sat early afternoon:

UGA @ South Carolina. Early conference games are good.
    CU @ Nebraska. Nebraska's warm up game got rained out, and now they have to start with an old rival.

Mid afternoon: Iowa State @ Iowa. Rivalry!

Sat evening:

Clemson @ Texas A&M. Clemson seems to have an easy path to the playoff. A&M is one of the few chances to stop them.
    Utah @ NIU. The road game nobody wanted!
    Penn St @ Pitt. Rivalry!

Sat night:

USC @ Stanford. The game of the day. Winner is still a playoff hopeful.

Late game:

Michigan State @ Arizona State. Devils impressed vs San Antonio. Spartans did not impress vs Aggies. This could be a good game.

I know that Arizona doesn't have a whole lot. 38-0 early (REALLY EARLY) in the 3rd Quarter.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I know that Arizona doesn't have a whole lot. 38-0 early (REALLY EARLY) in the 3rd Quarter.
    Where is Rich Rod now? I bet he's amused.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Where is Rich Rod now? I bet he's amused.
    The South is looking fairly weak: UCLA and Arizona have laid turds out of the block, but Colorado appears better than people thought. We don't know much about ASU and USC is USC. Too bad the schedule makers cursed us this year.

The South is looking fairly weak: UCLA and Arizona have laid turds out of the block, but Colorado appears better than people thought. We don't know much about ASU and USC is USC. Too bad the schedule makers cursed us this year.
    I hope we can actually get a couple of comfortable conference wins this season. Those have been so rare.

The buffs beat the huskers in Lincoln! They could be tough.

The buffs beat the huskers in Lincoln! They could be tough.
    That was huge. Way to go Buffs!

That win may be second only to Coach Mac's ability to sweep scandals under the rug

Week 3. Not exactly stuffed with prime match ups, but there are definitely some gems!

There are games W, Th, and F nights, but there's nothing interesting.

Sat morning isn't great either.

Certainly OU @ Iowa St if it stays close.
    FSU @ Syracuse is more interesting than anyone would have guessed 2 weeks ago. Interesting like a train wreck.
    Rutgers @ Kansas duel for the honor of being the worst P5 program.

Sat afternoon makes up for it, though.

LSU @ Auburn is the game of the week.
    Boise St @ Okie State at the same time.

Sat evening:

Bama @ Ole Miss. Watch until it gets out of hand (or until the Ohio State/TCU kickoff).
    Ohio State @ TCU. Huge chance for the Frogs.
    USC @ Texas. Hopes for a big game were probably huge when this was scheduled. It's lost some luster with each team at an unimpressive 1-1.

Sat night:

UW @ Utah! Will Utah ever stop being the "tough out" and start winning these games? Great way to end the day.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-11-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Week 3. Not exactly stuffed with prime match ups, but there are definitely some gems!

FSU @ Syracuse is more interesting than anyone would have guessed 2 weeks ago. Interesting like a train wreck.

Sat evening:

Bama @ Ole Miss. Watch until it gets out of hand (or until the Ohio State/TCU kickoff).
    USC @ Texas. Hopes for a big game were probably huge when this was scheduled. It's lost some luster with each team at an unimpressive 1-1.

Sat night:

UW @ Utah! Will Utah ever stop being the "tough out" and start winning these games? Great way to end the day.
    Thanks. Two things:

1. Curse the God the created time zones.
    2. Utah has already started winning "these games." Oregon in 2015? USC in 2016? Stanford every time we play them? UW has had our number (I think it is because their style of play is similar to ours, just with better athletes) but that is separate from the argument that Utah is always in games against top ten teams but never pulls them out.

Had a ward party tonight. Everyone wanted to make sure I knew that BYU beat Wisconsin today.

It depends on how Wisconsin does the rest of the way, but that game might end up being BYU's biggest win since the Edwards era.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-15-2018 at 07:50 PM.

Sat evening:

Sat night:

You missed the best game of the day. BYU won in a slug fest at Wisconsin on ABC. But I know you all watched and you are now all just hoping Utah actually shows up tonight. Not sure I’ll Stay up and watch the game, but maybe I will. Utah should win and it could be a fun game.

Bye week still has some good football for us all.

Friday Night Lights:

Undercard: FAU vs UCF. Knights defending their title.
    Main event: Wazzu @ USC. It's late, but we get to scout our next opponent AND root against a division rival.

Sat morning:
    UGa @ Mizzou and Nebraska @ Michigan. Maybe one of them surprises and ends up close.

Sat afternoon:

A&M @ Bama is the big one for this time slot. Huge opportunity for Jimbo.
    KState @ West VA. Mountaineers best chance for someone other than Oklahoma to win the Big12?
    NIU @ FSU has some interest for us Utah fans now.
    Arizona @ Oregon St. Go Beavs!
    Mississippi @ Kentucky. Both are still 3-0.

Sat evening

Game of the day: Stanford @ Oregon.
    ASU @ UW. Go Huskies.
    Last edited by sancho; 09-18-2018 at 11:12 PM.

P5 Thursday football is back...it's just UNC @ Miami, but it's back!

Friday night: UCLA @ CU. Buffs seem like leaders in the south. They can't afford to drop this game at home.

Saturday morning:

West Va @ Texas Tech. Both are ranked. Grier is great.
    Syracuse @ Clemson. Both are unbeaten. Clemson wants revenge for last season.

Sat early afternoon:

This is the worst Sat afternoon I can remember. Tennesse @ UGa is the closest thing to a compelling match up from noon until the Utes kick off.

Sat late afternoon:

Utah @ WSU.

Sat evening:

Ohio State @ Penn State. Game of the week. The best whiteout in the game. Two top ten teams.
    Stanford @ ND. The "rivalry" that no one cares about. Two more top ten teams, though!
    BYU @ UW. Another game between ranked teams.

Sat night: so much Pac-12 action!

Oregon @ Cal. Do the Ducks recover from beating themselves vs Stanford?
    USC vs Arizona. Interesting south match up. Both teams should get better as the season goes on.

ND pulls away in the 4th and beats Stanford easily.

Michigan comes back to beat Northwestern in a game featuring the worst holding call of all time. Seriously, with the sheer volume of officiating mistakes each week, how do we consider this sport to be anything more than arbitrary. If you could challenge/review any call, would games last 8 hours?

Ohio State comes back to beat Penn St. PSU with a play call on 4th and 5 that would make any of our past OCs look like Chip Kelley in his prime.

You know what cheers me up after bad football? More football!

Once again, nothing really stands out on the Thursday/Friday schedule. I think the NFL really killed Thursday night college football.

Sat morning:

Red.River.Rivalry. Both teams ranked. Seems like years since that happened.
    Maryland @ Michigan could be good.

Sat afternoon:

LSU @ Florida. Both ranked. Me likey.
    SDSU @ Boise St. About as good as it gets in the ole' MWC.
    ASU @ CU. Are the Buffs really the best team in the south?

Sat evening. First time in forever that there is no general conference priesthood session during this time slot, and the wife and daughters will be at a women's session...and I get pretty much no great options:

Kentucky @ A&M. Kentucky is ranked #13. Seriously.
    Notre Dame @ VaTech. Hokies are still ranked after losing to Old Dominion.

Sat late:

Utah @ Stanford. Did you know that Stanford has tough admissions criteria? Did you know they put the student in student-athlete? Did you know Bryce Love is going to be a doctor? Did you know that there aren't any smart people on other teams? Did you know that all Stanford athletes are majoring in physics and electrical engineering and none are majoring in..."science, technology, and society"?

You know what cheers me up after bad football? More football!

Once again, nothing really stands out on the Thursday/Friday schedule. I think the NFL really killed Thursday night college football.
    Friday night is BYU/USU. BYU is a future opponent, and USU looks to be pretty good this year.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Utah State’s QB looks like the best in the state this year.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Utah State’s QB looks like the best in the state this year.
    The aggies are crushing the cougars.

Short week for us, and a good week in general.

Thursday. The first decent Thursday night game of the season. Texas Tech @ TCU.

Friday night lights. Arizona @ Utah. Now Rich Rod free!

Sat morning is the weak spot, again. Three ranked teams play in games they should win easily. Just check in to see if Ohio State, Florida, or Auburn is having a hard time.

Sat afternoon makes up for it with two very big games:

UGa @ LSU
    UW @ Oregon
    Michigan St @ Penn St makes for a pretty good third option as well.

Sat evening:

Wisconsin @ Michigan.
    Mizzou @ Bama. What will Saban complain about this time?

Sat night:

CU @ USC. Computers think CU is a paper tiger. This is their toughest game so far.

I hope we can actually get a couple of comfortable conference wins this season. Those have been so rare.
    bump

Sat morning is the weak spot, again. Three ranked teams play in games they should win easily. Just check in to see if Ohio State, Florida, or Auburn is having a hard time.
    All three are close. Not bad!

This week is all about USC @ Utah, but there are some other things going on.

Thursday - Stanford @ ASU. It's tough for me to root for the cards, but until all other south teams have at least 3 conference losses, I have to pull for the north.

This week features the best Sat morning we've had all year:

Michigan @ MSU, both ranked, in-state rivalry? Yes, please.
    OU @ TCU. Horned Frogs season is falling apart - a win over OU is the last chance to make this a great season.
    Maryland @ Iowa. Both teams just quietly winning games (except for the Terp loss to Temple).

Sat afternoon:

NC State @ Clemson. Wolfpack unbeaten! I'm not sure you can call yourself an American if you are pulling for Clemson in this game.
    CU @ UW. Go huskies!

Sat evening:

Mississippi St @ LSU. You're gonna want that cowbell. Both teams ranked. LSU is a playoff hopeful.
    Oregon @ Wazzu. Also both ranked. This game doesn't mean much for Utah, but I would prefer Oregon comes to RES as a playoff contender with only 1 loss.
    USC @ Utah. USC is the south favorite whether they win or lose this weekend. A Utah win, however, keeps us in the discussion.

Sat night:

Arizona @ UCLA is a preview of our next opponent. The Bruins have definitely improved.

Computer love, still strong. #14 in ESPN's FPI. #19 S&P. #14-17 Sagarin. ESPN still favors us in each remaining game.

New season record odds, according to ESPN:

0.07% 5-7
    1.35% 6-6
    8.91% 7-5
    27.35% 8-4
    39.90% 9-3
    22.41% 10-2

They give us more than 22% chance of winning the south. Over 60% chance of having 1 or fewer remaining loss. They still think ASU is our toughest remaining game, followed by CU.

Football football football!

Thursday night has a bunch of games. None of them are particularly great, but they are there!

Friday night: There are a few early games between P5 schools, then watch the late show: Utah @ UCLA.

Sat morning:

Clemson @ FSU. Someone's got to put a wrinkle into this college playoff picture at some point, right?
    Wisconsin @ Northwestern. The wildcats are on top of the west division.
    Purdue @ Michigan St. How do the 'makers follow up on their big upset?

Sat afternoon:

Florida @ Georgia. Both are ranked in the top 10. These are playoff hopefuls, or at least NY6 hopefuls.
    Iowa @ Penn St. The Hawkeyes only have one loss? Both teams are ranked.
    ASU @ USC. Scout next week's opponent.

Sat evening:

WSU @ Stanford. Two ranked former opponents.
    Texas @ Okie State. Root for playoff chaos, root for the cowboys.

After dark: it's just Oregon @ Zona. Not much, but it's football.

Good hell the Minnesota uniforms are atrocious. Whoever designed them should be embarrassed
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Football is so great when you're winning. I think this is the best week of the season. Skip the morning, but then it's all big games for the rest of the day on Sat.

Thursday night: Temple @ #9 UCF. Temple beat Maryland and Cincy - can they end the Knights long winning streak?

Friday night:

Pitt @ UVa. All of a sudden, Bronco has UVa in first place of the worst division in P5 football.
    The late game is CU @ Arizona.

Sat morning is all the games that looked good in August and are now awful:

Louisville @ Clemson, Nebraska @ OSU, A&M @ Auburn. Run your errands in the morning.

Sat afternoon makes up for it, though:

UGa @ Kentucky. Both ranked.
    West Va @ Texas. Both ranked, and WVU only has 1 loss.
    Penn St @ Michigan. Both ranked, and Michigan controls its own playoff destiny.
    Utah @ ASU. Utes as hot as any team not named Alabama or Clemson.

Sat night:

Notre Dame @ Northwestern. One of the last chances to deny Notre Dame an undeserved playoff spot.
    Alabama @ LSU. #1 @ #4, and no one expects a close game. That's how good Alabama is. Still, this is must see TV in case the Tigers pull off the upset. LSU still thinks it's a playoff contender, but that ends after this game.
    OU @ Texas Tech. OU still a strong playoff contender.
    Stanford @ UW. Playing for pride now, but these are two good teams.

Sat late night:

Cal @ Wazzu. WSU still an outside shot at the playoff.