Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2018 NCAA Football Season

Bowl eligibility update:

Baylor @ TTech and Purdue @ Indiana are both close. All four teams are 5-6.

Wake is 5-6 and stomping Duke.

Tulane is 5-6 and in a close game with Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Yup. Do we want Michigan or Ohio state?
    As of now, we get a 12-1, #5 OSU. If Notre Dame, Clemson, or Oklahoma lose, we get Michigan instead (assuming Northwestern loses the Big10 title game). Am I a week ahead of myself? Yes, I am.

Boise beats USU. I wonder if Matt Wells has done enough to get out of Logan. If it doesn't happen now, it might never happen.

So, no chaos yesterday.

The playoff looks like Bama, Clemson, ND, and a choice between OU and OSU.

Assuming they both win next week, OU has a better loss (Texas vs Purdue) but OSU has better wins (Penn St/Michigan/Northwestern/MSU vs WestVa/Texas/ISU). They will cite something or other, but the truth is that this will be an arbitrary choice between the two schools. The computers have them basically even. My guess is that OU gets in, and OSU goes to the Rose.

What's funny is that both teams are better than Notre Dame, and everyone knows it.

There is still some room for chaos. If UGa beats Bama, the SEC will want two reps in the playoff. It Pitt beats Clemson, Clemson's resume will be worse than OU and OSU (a loss to Pitt and quality wins vs A&M and ... Syracuse? BC?).

So, maximum chaos is if Bama and ND are in, and UGa, OSU, OU, and Clemson all have a legit claim in the two remaining spots.

If Northwestern beats OSU, the Big10 will have 4 NY6 worthy teams in Northwestern (Rose), OSU, Michigan, and Penn State.

Good games going on right now.

Bama/UGa is close in the 4th, and so is Memphis/UCF.

If UGa wins, I think the SEC steals a 2nd spot in the playoff. I wish they would drop Bama out, but there's no way they have the guts to do that.

Good games going on right now.

Bama/UGa is close in the 4th, and so is Memphis/UCF.

If UGa wins, I think the SEC steals a 2nd spot in the playoff. I wish they would drop Bama out, but there's no way they have the guts to do that.
    Bama turned it on when they needed to. Unless Pitt (a 27 point underdog) beats Clemson, we have

Bama vs OU
    Clemson vs ND

I bet Bama would rather play ND.

Bama turned it on when they needed to. Unless Pitt (a 27 point underdog) beats Clemson, we have

Bama vs OU
    Clemson vs ND

I bet Bama would rather play ND.
    So that's it. Both first round games already have double digit spreads! Woooo!

The national media campaigned hard for UGa. Once again, I am dumbfounded at the people who get to shape opinions on this sport. The Bama/Georgia game was Utah/BYU part II. As soon as Bama needed to score, they did. Easily. On consecutive possessions. With their backup quarterback. And they completely stuffed UGa at the same time. Based on that loss, I'm supposed to believe Georgia should be in the playoff? Forget it.

Alabama 2019 schedule
    Aug. 31 vs. Duke in Atlanta
    Sept. 7 vs. New Mexico State
    Sept. 14 at South Carolina
    Sept. 21 vs. Southern Miss
    Sept. 28 vs. Ole Miss
    Oct. 5: Bye
    Oct. 12 at Texas A&M
    Oct. 19 vs. Tennessee
    Oct. 26 vs. Arkansas
    Nov. 2: Bye
    Nov. 9 vs. LSU
    Nov. 16 at Mississippi State
    Nov. 23 vs. Western Carolina
    Nov. 30 at Auburn

Guess who's got time on his hands? Here are college football's current biggest problems and how to solve them:

1) Scheduling conference games. The solution is obvious - all P5's must play the same number of conference games. It really doesn't matter if it's 8 or 9 (or 10) games, but more conference games makes the OOC scheduling problem (up next) easier.

2) OOC scheduling. There could be many solutions here, but my preferred solution is to have a Scheduling Day every other May. On Scheduling Day, the OOC schedules for the next two years are drawn up via random number generation (pulling balls out of a wheel). Utah is assigned Akron and Texas A&M, for example, which creates a September home/away series with each school. You can guarantee each school gets a P5 home/away. The third OOC game is for an FCS home game, which allows schools to make money with a home game and supports FCS football. Scheduling Day would be a huge TV draw like the NFL draft. This allows ADs to focus on more important things that scheduling. It creates intrigue during the off season. It creates more equitable schedules and great match ups that wouldn't otherwise happen. It also reduces the silliness of a playoff committee penalizing schools for schedules that were drawn up 8 years ago.

3) Targeting. Include the language "intentional" in any penalty that comes with an automatic ejection. The most important fix is something that fixes the arbitrary nature of this penalty.

4) The bowl system. There's no reason for us to continue to support bowl executives. Bowls can be run by the NCAA, which would keep money with the system. This would allow us to have bowl assignments according to placement instead of what currently happens.

3) Targeting. Include the language "intentional" in any penalty that comes with an automatic ejection. The most important fix is something that fixes the arbitrary nature of this penalty.
    #1 and 2 make too much sense. Don’t expect the SEC to cede their power and money so easily.

I’m not sure how asking a referee to judge intent, either real time or replay, will make targeting calls any less arbitrary. It would add complexity and provide even more debate to every call.
    I saw a door that said exit only. So I entered through it and went up to the guy working there and said "I have good news. You have severely underestimated that door over there. By like a hundred percent." Demetri Marti

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Iím not sure how asking a referee to judge intent, either real time or replay, will make targeting calls any less arbitrary. It would add complexity and provide even more debate to every call.
    In that case, just scrap the rule. At least scrap the automatic ejection. Most of the time, the punishment outweighs the crime by a significant margin.

What I want is to see is enough nuance so that incidental helmet to helmet contact is not an ejection.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Alabama 2019 schedule
    Aug. 31 vs. Duke in Atlanta
    Sept. 7 vs. New Mexico State
    Sept. 14 at South Carolina
    Sept. 21 vs. Southern Miss
    Sept. 28 vs. Ole Miss
    Oct. 5: Bye
    Oct. 12 at Texas A&M
    Oct. 19 vs. Tennessee
    Oct. 26 vs. Arkansas
    Nov. 2: Bye
    Nov. 9 vs. LSU
    Nov. 16 at Mississippi State
    Nov. 23 vs. Western Carolina
    Nov. 30 at Auburn

Other than the Western Carolina the second to last game, what is wrong with it?

wow, this guy was a legend for Utah State. RIP

http://www.espn.com/college-football...made-last-ride

That is sad. I knew he was sick. He was an absolute legend. I can't even imagine the level of dedication it takes to attend every game for 20+ years.
    RIP, Night Rider!

Three Clemson players will miss the playoffs after failing a drug test. I wonder how prevalent steroid use is in college football.

Three Clemson players will miss the playoffs after failing a drug test. I wonder how prevalent steroid use is in college football.
    Has it been reported that it was steroids? I haven't seen that (yet). It seems that something like marijuana would be a lot more likely (and in a few years that probably won't be something that triggers a suspension anymore).

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Has it been reported that it was steroids? I haven't seen that (yet). It seems that something like marijuana would be a lot more likely (and in a few years that probably won't be something that triggers a suspension anymore).

Just watched lamb level a Bama db, and I realized that we should have had Blair as a wr all along. He was the missing piece in our screen game.

Neal Brown to be the next HC at West Va.

So who do you have tonight? I think Bama wins easily. We'll see.

Here's one thing we don't need: we don't need the SEC to become the destination for top Polynesian players. I like Tua a lot, but I don't want Alabama establishing a Hawaii pipeline. They already get whoever they want on the mainland!

So who do you have tonight? I think Bama wins easily. We'll see.

Here's one thing we don't need: we don't need the SEC to become the destination for top Polynesian players. I like Tua a lot, but I don't want Alabama establishing a Hawaii pipeline. They already get whoever they want on the mainland!
    I think Bama wins by at least 14. As good as Trevor Lawrence is or will be, he is going to be very overwhelmed tonight. He hasn't seen a D that compares to Bama. Combine that with it being the National Championship game, the moment is going to be too big for him. I don't see good things tonight. Hope I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I think Bama wins by at least 14. As good as Trevor Lawrence is or will be, he is going to be very overwhelmed tonight. He hasn't seen a D that compares to Bama. Combine that with it being the National Championship game, the moment is going to be too big for him. I don't see good things tonight. Hope I am wrong.
    I was way off. Don’t listen to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Lunch View Post
    I was way off. Don’t listen to me.
    It's surprising. Bama only struggled like this once all season, and Clemson struggled a couple of times. Clemson didn't have to play any great offenses all season. But that's college football for ya.

Imagine Dragons is the worst band name I've ever heard. Trying way too hard. These guys are terrible.

A few huge non calls have robbed Bama of first downs near the endzone. On one, the Tide attempted a stupid fake FG. On the next, they came up a yard short on fourth down.

I know Pac-12 refs have the rep, but really all refs are bad.

Clemson has made big play after big play. Domination.
    Last edited by sancho; 01-07-2019 at 10:01 PM.

Iíll just leave this right here.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

ďTrue, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.Ē

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell