Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 offseason thread

2018 offseason thread

Didn't see a thread for general offseason stuff, but per a tweet from Bill, Sed Barefield is working out for the Lakers today which implies that he has declared for the draft. Very smart decision on his part.

Doutrive changed his name to Vante Hendrix

Vante Hendrix(formerly Devante Doutrive – 6’5’’/190/G)

https://twitter.com/Vante_Hendrix14/...886648320?s=19
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Doutrive changed his name to Vante Hendrix

Vante Hendrix(formerly Devante Doutrive – 6’5’’/190/G)

https://twitter.com/Vante_Hendrix14/...886648320?s=19
    This is good, I never figured out how to pronounce Doutrive.

Interesting stuff from Larry.

https://247sports.com/college/utah/A....co/GRqHp233fM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I like that. Thanks.

It's a rite of passage for a Utah basketball coach to say he's gonna put the run back in runnin' utes.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I like that. Thanks.

It's a rite of passage for a Utah basketball coach to say he's gonna put the run back in runnin' utes.
    "This year we are going to utilize our tight ends more"

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    LOL. My first thought was, Jayce isn’t on the team anymore?!?!

Every time that kid runs, it looks like it’s the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Well done. Bravo!!

I like that. Thanks.

That bar ain't very high to clear. Utah in adjusted tempo under Larry, per Pomeroy

2018: 299
    2017: 142 (I cannot give an explanation for this outlier. Anyone?)
    2016: 305
    2015: 328
    2014: 230
    2013: 304
    2012: 322

Part of the reason Larry says this every year is that nobody challenges on him when he says it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Part of the reason Larry says this every year is that nobody challenges on him when he says it.
    Why would we want someone to challenge him on it, though?

I guess 2017 was Poeltl's senior year, right? He was built to run. That's all I got for explanation.

Why would we want someone to challenge him on it, though?

I guess 2017 was Poeltl's senior year, right? He was built to run. That's all I got for explanation.
    Results being equal, who wouldn't want to see games in the 80s and 90s as opposed to the 60s and 70s (or 50s)? And I don't like it when coaches blow smoke up the fanbase's collective ass. It reminds me of when Urban Meyer said the team that gets a block in the kicking game wins 90 percent of the time. I love Urb, but that's a bullshit stat made up on the spot, with almost no correlation between the two.

2017 was Kuzma's senior year, not Poeltl's, but we did have Bonam in the backcourt, and he was most definitely a push-the-ball type player. Like you with Poeltl, I originally had Bonam's senior year off by a season when I typed what I did about that season.

Well both of you so called fans are wrong! Kuzma or Poeltl never had senior seasons.

It's official. Reid Travis is heading to Kentucky.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    It's official. Reid Travis is heading to Kentucky.
    clearly an AKADEMIC move

I guess facing him once is better than twice

Utah guard Vante Hendrix -- formerly Devante Doutrive (his name change took place this offseason) -- has been projected by former Stanford standout and current Pac-12 television analyst Casey Jacobson as the Utes’ next starting shooting guard. Josh Gershon, a national recruiting analyst for 247Sports, described Hendrix as having all-conference upside.
    https://247sports.com/college/utah/A...ops-119401795/

Twenty minute interview with Krystowiak.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    I can't do that.

With an almost entirely new roster, I should have pretty low expectations. I can't do it, though. I think this team will be good.

First, that's very good hand-eye coordination. Second, for a 6'2" guy to do that, that's some serious explosiveness.

Can you download the recent tweet from Both Gach—showing him dunking after passing to himself off backboard?

CJ4 & Gach paired with Sedrick at 1/2 guard will be athletic/shooting combo.

I recently talked to Both—he is really well-spoken & driven to be a professional BB player. Left his home in Minnesota & twin brother his senior year of high school to go to prep school in AZ, so “he could focus on BB & his grades”.

Don’t know what to expect from this year’s team, but they should be fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Standing ute View Post
    Can you download the recent tweet from Both Gach—showing him dunking after passing to himself off backboard?

I recently talked to Both—he is really well-spoken & driven to be a professional BB player. Left his home in Minnesota & twin brother his senior year of high school to go to prep school in AZ, so “he could focus on BB & his grades”.

Don’t know what to expect from this year’s team, but they should be fun to watch.
    Who do you think starts for this team?

Barefield
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Tillman
    Jayce

Like.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by snafu View Post
    Who do you think starts for this team?

Barefield
    Hendrix
    Allen
    Tillman
    Jayce
    Jayce
    Tillman
    Hendrix
    Jones
    Barefield

Starting 5
    Barefield
    Jones
    Hendrix
    Tillman
    Johnson

Second 5
    Gach
    PVD
    Allen
    Battin
    Topalovic

Final 3
    Thioune
    Popoola
    Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Starting 5
    Barefield
    Jones
    Hendrix
    Tillman
    Johnson

Second 5
    Gach
    PVD
    Allen
    Battin
    Topalovic

Final 3
    Thioune
    Popoola
    Gaskin
    No argument here. A lot of flexibility here that the coaches can work with.

More “good” players on the roster than they have had for a long time—no mater who the last 3 are, they are decent & might see minutes.
    Tillman looks & carries himself like a leader.
    Battle between Hendrix, Allen & Gach—all 4* recruits, to start will be fun to watch.

More “good” players on the roster than they have had for a long time—no mater who the last 3 are, they are decent & might see minutes.
    Tillman looks & carries himself like a leader.
    Battle between Hendrix, Allen & Gach—all 4* recruits, to start will be fun to watch.
    This is how I see it. Barefield, Jones, Tillman and Jayce starting with a battle for the last spot between Hendrix, Allen and Gach. Maybe a chance Battin starts at the 4 if Tillman's shot is improved enough to play the 3. Maybe even a slight chance Larry slides PVD in there as a glue guy (which would really piss some people off).

2018 offseason thread

Here you go.

I asked him at Fan Fest who the best dunker was. He replied “come to Meet The Running Utes Night and see”.

So they’re working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Here you go.

I asked him at Fan Fest who the best dunker was. He replied “come to Meet The Running Utes Night and see”.

So they’re working on it.

When was the last time we had a guy with that size (6’7”) and that kind of athleticism?

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    When was the last time we had a guy with that size (6’7”) and that kind of athleticism?

Danny Vranes?