Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2018 offseason thread

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Danny Vranes?
    That’s who I thought of.
    "Don't apologize; it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

Quote Originally Posted by hostile View Post
    That’s who I thought of.
    He used to do backwards allyooop dunks. I remember a Sport Magazine (does that exists anymore?) article, when Danny was in the NBA, titled “white guys who jump like black guys,” and Danny was the top one identified. (Don’t kill the messenger, I know the title isn’t PC. I didn’t write it.)
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Danny Vranes?
    I thought of him too. I remember the article SU cites. I think it was called "White Guys Who Play Black." I still don't recall Danny making the crazy athletic move we saw on the clip of Both.

EDIT: But I sure had a lot of fun watching him. I was a student then and attended every home game he played in.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-10-2018 at 03:20 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    When was the last time we had a guy with that size (6’7”) and that kind of athleticism?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bryant Markson?

Coincidentally, I recently sat with Danny at a baseball game - our sons played on the same Babe Ruth team. I'd told my sons a few Vranes memories as we went to and from games. I asked Danny that day if the rumor I'd heard when he was at Skyline High and Utah was true - "Could you touch the top of the backboard?" He replied that he could not but that he could touch the top of the square and get just a few inches from the top of the backboard while at Utah.

Danny's son is a good baseball player - plays third, catch and can pitch a little. His favorite sport is volleyball - apparently, he's getting pretty good. He's played basketball but it doesn't appear to be the sport he'll pursue in high school. Danny's a role model parent - positive and supportive of his son and the team's he plays on. He still looks like he'd only need a few weeks to get ready for a professional season - although, he looks like a tight end now.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I asked Danny that day if the rumor I'd heard when he was at Skyline High and Utah was true - "Could you touch the top of the backboard?"
    I thought for sure you were referring to the rumor that he did not go to BYU because his gf was pregnant.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    Coincidentally, I recently sat with Danny at a baseball game - our sons played on the same Babe Ruth team. I'd told my sons a few Vranes memories as we went to and from games. I asked Danny that day if the rumor I'd heard when he was at Skyline High and Utah was true - "Could you touch the top of the backboard?" He replied that he could not but that he could touch the top of the square and get just a few inches from the top of the backboard while at Utah.

Danny's son is a good baseball player - plays third, catch and can pitch a little. His favorite sport is volleyball - apparently, he's getting pretty good. He's played basketball but it doesn't appear to be the sport he'll pursue in high school. Danny's a role model parent - positive and supportive of his son and the team's he plays on. He still looks like he'd only need a few weeks to get ready for a professional season - although, he looks like a tight end now.
    Danny and I have a nephew who’s on the Ute Lacrosse team, a sophomore. He’s not a basketball player, but at 6-4 and can dunk from flat footed beneath the rim.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Lahat Thioune out 3-4 months with an injury, per Brett Borg of Utezone.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Lahat Thioune out 3-4 months with an injury, per Brett Borg of Utezone.
    Did Jayce hurt his foot, too? This picture from a day ago shows something going on.

Yep. He *should* be good to go around the start of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Did Jayce hurt his foot, too? This picture from a day ago shows something going on.

Hopefully it’s note something specific to Under Armour Shoes. The last pair of UA basketball shoes I used gave me plantar facitis.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Too bad about Lahat, he is better than people think. He is a solid 6'10", but can run & jump like a smaller person. He would have been a big help rebounding & guarding the rim.