Thread: Jack Tuttle Thread

Jack Tuttle Thread

It seems like we ought to have a thread just for this young fellow. Here is a start.

At Utah and everywhere else in college football, the goal is the same: Develop the perfect quarterback

https://www.sltrib.com/sports/utah-u...t-quarterback/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Wildly premature.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Wildly premature.
    Not wildly, but admittedly.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

What's the over under on him getting moved to safety or linebacker?

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    What's the over under on him getting moved to safety or linebacker?
    There was a time when that was a legitimate concern about Whit moving QBs to defense, but not with this guy.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    There was a time when that was a legitimate concern about Whit moving QBs to defense
    Was there? Did he ever move anyone who clearly didn't belong on the defensive side?

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Was there? Did he ever move anyone who clearly didn't belong on the defensive side?
    I just meant that it has happened in the past.

--Yeats

I just meant that it has happened in the past.
    Uh-oh! QB3?!?!!? SeattleUte may prove to be a prophet about more than BYU's ability to join P5.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Uh-oh! QB3?!?!!? SeattleUte may prove to be a prophet about more than BYU's ability to join P5.
    Don't worry about it. At the Crimson Club lunch last week, Whit said that if Huntley got dinged up or came out for a few plays then Shelley would come in, but if Huntley was going to miss an extended period time then they would reevaluate. Whit also showed some clips of Tuttle in fall camp making some pretty impressive throws, and Whit raved about him and said he can make any throw and has closed the gap on Huntley. I think they really want to redshirt Tuttle as long as they can do so without jeopardizing any wins. I suspect we won't see him until later in the season so that they can preserve those 4 games he can play without blowing his redshirt in case they need him.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I suspect we won't see him until later in the season so that they can preserve those 4 games he can play without blowing his redshirt in case they need him.
    I have heard rumblings to that same effect. The coaching staff considers the guy pure gold.

--Yeats

There is no friggin way Tuttle will be with the program for 5 years, unless he gets injured. If he is as good as advertised then he will be gone in 4 years, max. (And more likely 3)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    There is no friggin way Tuttle will be with the program for 5 years, unless he gets injured. If he is as good as advertised then he will be gone in 4 years, max. (And more likely 3)
    Agree. I thought the new prevailing philosophy was you don't redshirt qb's, because it makes it that much harder to recruit qb's in the following classes.

Not so sure about that. There are tons of excellent QBs who never get drafted, and even more who don't leave early. Tuttle could be absolutely fantastic as a Ute and never get drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Not so sure about that. There are tons of excellent QBs who never get drafted, and even more who don't leave early. Tuttle could be absolutely fantastic as a Ute and never get drafted.
    He so seems like the type who will graduate in 3 years.

It would be interesting to be a fly on the wall of the football offices and hear if the likelihood of Jayden Daniels signing with Utah is considered as a factor in the decision to redshirt (or not redshirt) Tuttle.

I'm sure similar was said about Travis Wilson. And he played and stayed the full four years.

You can be a very good QB at a P5 school, yet not be in high demand by the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    I'm sure similar was said about Travis Wilson. And he played and stayed the full four years.

You can be a very good QB at a P5 school, yet not be in high demand by the NFL.
    Indeed. They are quickly becoming very different skill sets.

I am feeling kind of bad for Tuttle. He is 6’3” and 220, and got beat out by a 5’11” 190 lb. guy.

--Yeats

I am feeling kind of bad for Tuttle. He is 6’3” and 220, and got beat out by a 5’11” 190 lb. guy.
    This is why you don't feel bad for him.

Don't sleep on us 5'11", 190 lb guys (ding!).
    Dyslexics of the world, untie!

Think about all the guys beat out by Covey. I've seen 6th graders bigger than him.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Think about all the guys beat out by Covey. I've seen 6th graders bigger than him.
    LOL. True. But Covey is not playing quarterback. He’s too short. I worry about Shelley being only 5‘11“.

--Yeats

Drew Brees and Russel Wilson are both under 6'. Are they too short as well?

Quote Originally Posted by noneyadb View Post
    I thought of them. You are right, height doesn’t tell the whole story, but those two QBs are truly exceptional. I hope Shelley is too and that in two or three years I am eating crow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

--Yeats

I thought of them. You are right, height doesn’t tell the whole story, but those two QBs are truly exceptional. I hope Shelley is too and that in two or three years I am eating crow.
    Those two are exceptional because of their success in the NFL. It is more common in college, though. If Shelley has the arm and the decision making ability, I don't think his height will hurt him much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would not assume that Shelley will be #2 next year or #1 the year after. By all accounts, the competition was very close, which I can agree to based upon the 1 scrimmage I observed. I would expect Tuttle to get a few snaps this and for the competition to resume next spring.

Quote Originally Posted by noneyadb View Post
    I am 6'6". Russell Wilson's hands are as big as mine. His hands are mammoth on a 5'10" guy.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I would not assume that Shelley will be #2 next year or #1 the year after. By all accounts, the competition was very close, which I can agree to based upon the 1 scrimmage I observed. I would expect Tuttle to get a few snaps this and for the competition to resume next spring.
    Whitt said it was very close and that Tuttle would be "in the rotation." Maybe Shelley had the edge because he had been in the program for a year already.

--Yeats

Whitt said it was very close and that Tuttle would be "in the rotation." Maybe Shelley had the edge because he had been in the program for a year already.
    In the least it means Whitt doesn't want him to transfer.