Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The official NO. ILL. game thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Dude threw for 300 yards without a pick. It's not gonna win any awards, but it will win games at Utah.
    When we have a QB throw for nearly 300 yards, we shouldn’t need a late pick 6 to salt the game away. And I’m sorry, 10 points by the offense might win you one game in 100.

I'm not sure that Huntley has improved, but I am sure that our o-line has been toasted in the first two games. The pressure that defenses get on passing plays and the penetration they get on running plays does not bode well against Washington.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    And I’m sorry, 10 points by the offense might win you one game in 100.
    If we get 300 with no picks, we'll win 9 of 10 games.

If we get just 10 points, we'll lose 9 of 10.

Those are both true statements that don't contradict each other. They won't often intersect like they did last night.

AJ is right about the line. We've seen offensive struggles for long enough to know that the issues go well beyond any one player/coach. The run game is supposed to be a strength, but it hasn't been strong. Take away one long run from moss last week, and our numbers are not good.

You're right on Sancho. While I'm worried about Huntley's decision making and ability to read what's going on out there, it would be helpful if he had more than One-Mississippi to make decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    You're right on Sancho.
    No one has ever said that about me before, and it's making me a little uncomfortable. Thankfully, I was just regurgitating AJ's point.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    You're right on Sancho. While I'm worried about Huntley's decision making and ability to read what's going on out there, it would be helpful if he had more than One-Mississippi to make decisions.
    It’s a rare QB who can do well when the pocket collapses on nearly every pass play.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

According to SoCalPat, Scott Mitchell on the radi0 broadcast last night continually pointed out that Huntley had open receivers downfield and never saw them. mitchell was very critical of Huntley's ability to find the downfield receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    According to SoCalPat, Scott Mitchell on the radi0 broadcast last night continually pointed out that Huntley had open receivers downfield and never saw them. mitchell was very critical of Huntley's ability to find the downfield receiver.
    I hate to say it, but Mitchell has been awful on the radio broadcast, ... so vanilla. Dolce was irritating at times, but at least he was colorful.

Well, I like and trust Scott. I'm sure Huntley missed WRs and made poor decisions. It was not a good offensive performance, and you can't pin it all on the pass protection.

I haven't listened to Mitchell, but there are a few things that give me pause about his criticism. He's new to this gig. He hasn't been paid to analyze college football for a long time. Most of his professional football analysis/assessment/tape review was spent on NFL plays. Maybe he's overly critical. Maybe he needs to get acclimated to the college game.

At any rate, he will need to find a balance between praise and criticism if he wants to be a good color commentator. I hope he does that. The last thing the U needs is a bunch of fans running around saying "Mitchell says Huntley misses all his reads - it's time for the backup QB!"

Is it just me or does this feel a little bit like 2009, with an experienced QB winning games ugly thanks to a defense covering up for offensive struggles. Here, we have Huntley playing the part of Terrence Cain and Tuttle playing the part of Travis Wilson, the hyped backup waiting in the wings. Now, I think Huntley and Tuttle are significantly better than their counterparts in this example, but our opposition is also much better. Anyway, if the offense continues to struggle I could see a similar decision by Whit this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Is it just me or does this feel a little bit like 2009, with an experienced QB winning games ugly thanks to a defense covering up for offensive struggles. Here, we have Huntley playing the part of Terrence Cain and Tuttle playing the part of Travis Wilson, the hyped backup waiting in the wings. Now, I think Huntley and Tuttle are significantly better than their counterparts in this example, but our opposition is also much better. Anyway, if the offense continues to struggle I could see a similar decision by Whit this year.
    Do you mean Jordan Wynn?
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    Anyway, if the offense continues to struggle I could see a similar decision by Whit this year.
    He's definitely not gun shy when it comes to pulling the starting QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Do you mean Jordan Wynn?

Either that, or he means 2012, when Travis Wilson was waiting in the wings. After Wynn was injured against USU, Jon Hays became the starter until UCLA, when he was pulled for true freshman (IIRC) Wilson.

Either that, or he means 2012, when Travis Wilson was waiting in the wings. After Wynn was injured against USU, Jon Hays became the starter until UCLA, when he was pulled for true freshman (IIRC) Wilson.
    The analogy doesn’t work also because Tuttle is no. 3 on the depth chart. I think the apt analogy is that Huntley is a young Brian Johnson.

Terrance Cain was a JUCO. Huntley has been a part of the program now for three years. I hope, like Johnson eventually did, he has finally learned to avoid injury.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    I think the coaches will see this on film. With fewer drops and some decent O-line blocking he could have had a truly light-out game and the Ute offense would've scored much more. I don't think this one is on Huntley.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    I hate to say it, but Mitchell has been awful on the radio broadcast, ... so vanilla. Dolce was irritating at times, but at least he was colorful.
    The one area in which Mitchell has been concise, accurate and insightful is in QB play and decision making. In other aspects, your analysis of what he brings to the booth has merit.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Do you mean Jordan Wynn?
    Yes, I meant Wynn. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the coaches will see this on film. With fewer drops and some decent O-line blocking he could have had a truly light-out game and the Ute offense would've scored much more. I don't think this one is on Huntley.
    I think most people consider closeness and solidarity with fans one of the pleasures of spectator sports. I am the opposite. The Internet makes sports spectating a lot more enjoyable in many ways. But having more access to what fans are saying takes from my enjoyment. I regard fans as like toddlers throwing a tantrum—but they’re grown ups. Yuk. Most fans criticizing our QB don’t know wtf they’re talking about.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    The analogy doesn’t work also because Tuttle is no. 3 on the depth chart. I think the apt analogy is that Huntley is a young Brian Johnson.

Terrance Cain was a JUCO. Huntley has been a part of the program now for three years. I hope, like Johnson eventually did, he has finally learned to avoid injury.
    Tuttle is #3 for redshirt purposes. If multiple games are going to be played without Huntley, you'll see Tuttle.

Hard to imagine the pressure not being ramped up on Taylor. If Huntley isn’t showing the improvement in his decision-making, his immediate coach should fall under more scrutiny. And it seems we’re still a very mediocre team in short-yardage situations.

Other smart guys that I follow on Twitter point out some of the absurd play calls as well. I don’t think we’re getting all we can out of the OC/QB coach position.

Hard to imagine the pressure not being ramped up on Taylor. If Huntley isn’t showing the improvement in his decision-making, his immediate coach should fall under more scrutiny. And it seems we’re still a very mediocre team in short-yardage situations.

Other smart guys that I follow on Twitter point out some of the absurd play calls as well. I don’t think we’re getting all we can out of the OC/QB coach position.
    I was asking myself this morning -- how many D1 defenses has Taylor really seen? He is probably still on the front end of his learning curve.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I hope not. Brian didn't really become productive until his senior year. One could argue until the last 4 games of that season.

--Yeats

I hope not. Brian didn't really become productive until his senior year. One could argue until the last 4 games of that season.
    A patently false statement. His sophomore year was easily his best statistical year, by a smidge passing and by a long ways running.

A patently false statement. His sophomore year was easily his best statistical year, by a smidge passing and by a long ways running.
    Agree with SoCal. Brian was always great, but the injuries he suffered made this dual threat quarterback a single threat. Still pretty lethal, I dare say.

I'll just leave this here (who knows why):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0eScvuhvWg
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    I'll just leave this here (who knows why):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0eScvuhvWg
    Loved Casteel giving the UNM DB the finger as he scored his TD. Sakoda and Aiona Key were huge on special teams, and you'll never convince me otherwise that Key jumping in the middle of the line mindjacked Ross Evans' head and caused his two missed FGs the following week when we beat TCU. He simply did not want to kick it straight down the middle, got cute, and bounced one of the left upright and sent the second wide right. And from very makeable distances, too.

You're not the first person to bring this game up over the last 48 hours. I think it's apples to oranges. UNM had won 5 of the previous 7, buried us for our only league loss in 2003 and overcame huge deficits in 2005 and 2006 to beat us. In 1994, they gave us our first loss after an 8-0 start. Yeah, we didn't light the world on fire in the 2008 game, but we had known past seasons ruined by the Lobos, so the mindset of, "Yeah, at least we won," carried far more weight then than it did after beating UNI.

Can you name some great games he won for us in his sophomore year? What I was really saying that his legacy comes down to a great 4-game stretch: OSU, TCU, BYU and Alabama. Can you name any others? I may be wrong and if so, I'll gladly eat crow.

--Yeats

Can you name some great games he won for us in his sophomore year? What I was really saying that his legacy comes down to a great 4-game stretch: OSU, TCU, BYU and Alabama. Can you name any others? I may be wrong and if so, I'll gladly eat crow.
    Attached Images Attached Images