Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The official NO. ILL. game thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Can you name some great games he won for us in his sophomore year? What I was really saying that his legacy comes down to a great 4-game stretch: OSU, TCU, BYU and Alabama. Can you name any others? I may be wrong and if so, I'll gladly eat crow.
    You said productive. From an individual perspective, that means statistics and play relative to his peers. You didn't say anything about W-L.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Buzzzz!!!! Penalty imposed. I said his Sophomore year. Not knocking Brian, a great Ute, just trying to add some historical perspective to his career.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    You said productive. From an individual perspective, that means statistics and play relative to his peers. You didn't say anything about W-L.
    A very lawyerly response, and a correct one as far as it goes. I plead guilty to imprecision. What I meant was what I meant, however: He was the key to winning 4 hugely important games in a row as a senior and he'll be enshrined forever in Utes fans' hearts for those games. But...until his senior year he was an ongoing disappointment.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

A very lawyerly response, and a correct one as far as it goes. I plead guilty to imprecision. What I meant was what I meant, however: He was the key to winning 4 hugely important games in a row as a senior and he'll be enshrined forever in Utes fans' hearts for those games. But...until his senior year he was an ongoing disappointment.
    He couldn't even throw as a junior after the injury he suffered in the season-opener against Oregon State. And that game came after he sat out the entire 2006 season, because the injury that happened the ended his 2005 season short hadn't healed, and really took away from his running ability.

An ongoing disappointment until his senior year? Another patently false statement.

The official NO. ILL. game thread

An ongoing disappointment until his senior year? Another patently false statement.
    Opinions can't be patently false. 🤓
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-11-2018 at 01:24 PM.

--Yeats

This argument is stupid. Let's just call it off. LAuTe is entitled to his opinion (Brian Johnson was an average qb who won some big games) and SoCalPat and I are entitled to ours (NATTY).

Agree to disagree.

This argument is stupid. Let's just call it off......Agree to disagree.
    Do you remember when SCP and SeattleUte clashed? Good Gawd the ego's that were on display that day. Good times, man.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

This argument is stupid. Let's just call it off. LAuTe is entitled to his opinion (Brian Johnson was an average qb who won some big games) and SoCalPat and I are entitled to ours (NATTY).

Agree to disagree.
    Sold!

--Yeats

Agree to disagree.
    A stupid argument that I have not participated in? How did that happen? What is wrong with me?

LAuTe is entitled to his opinion (Brian Johnson was an average qb who won some big games) and SoCalPat and I are entitled to ours (NATTY).
    Also, thinking people with more subtle takes are entitled to their opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    A stupid argument that I have not participated in? How did that happen? What is wrong with me?
    We tried to move through it quickly before you could find out and join in. It was an act of mercy on our part.

--Yeats

We tried to move through it quickly before you could find out and join in. It was an act of mercy on our part.
    Don't let it happen again, or else.

Agree to disagree.
    How is it a stupid argument? The guy was the starting QUARTERBACK on what was indubitably the team that earned the greatest season in Utah’s storied football history. He ought to be everyone Ute fan’s favorite player in history. But all the time I see lists of everyone’s ten favorites, a bunch of local products are on there, but often not Brian Johnson. It makes my blood boil. 2008 would not have happened without him. He’s Whit’s Andre Miller. Quarterback is the most important position in football, arguably in sport. Johnson is the program’s most important player ever. PERIOD!

LAUte is nuts.
    Last edited by SeattleUte; 09-11-2018 at 11:29 PM.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    It makes my blood boil.
    Easy, big guy. We all love Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Easy, big guy. We all love Brian.
    I just go berserk.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

How is it a stupid argument? The guy was the starting QUARTERBACK on what was indubitably the team that earned the greatest season in Utah’s storied football history. He ought to be everyone Ute fan’s favorite player in history. But all the time I see lists of everyone’s ten favorites, a bunch of local products are on there, but often not Brian Johnson. It makes my blood boil. 2008 would not have happened without him. He’s Whit’s Andre Miller. Quarterback is the most important position in football, arguably in sport. Johnson is the program’s most important player ever. PERIOD!

LAUte is nuts.
    I said the argument is stupid because, well, it is a stupid thing to argue about for the reasons you point out. In this world there are flowers to sniff, great cities to visit, incredible books to read, and wonderful and odd people to meet. Those and many other pursuits are more worthy of people's time than this debate. Internet-arguing about whether Brian Johnson is an all-time great quarterback or just a good quarterback strikes me as about as interesting as arguing if Donald Trump is a good person. The answer is obvious so why waste time debating it?
    Last edited by Applejack; 09-12-2018 at 06:51 AM.

Buzzzz!!!! Penalty imposed. I said his Sophomore year. Not knocking Brian, a great Ute, just trying to add some historical perspective to his career.
    Probably the most important characteristics that Brian possessed that made him (eventually) great was he was a grinder, and was unflappable. He wasn't a serious talent, and never got a sniff from the NFL, but he persevered and got better.

I'm assuming Taylor sees similar characteristics in Huntley, though I think BJ probably wouldn't have had the same great senior season in the PAC-12, as the whole philosophy of depending on defense and Louie Sakoda wouldn't have been good enough to get through a PAC-12 schedule.

Better late than never for a stupid argument. I agree with LA Ute. He put a string of tremendous games together at the end of 2008. Before that, meh.

Pile on. Self-inflicted ridicule is my raison detre.

P.S. i love Brian too.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-12-2018 at 08:59 AM.

Ok let's discuss a couple of points:

1. Brian Johnson was an all time great. I rank him 3rd in qbs in my lifetime (smith and Mitchell). He had a good arm and made great decisions.

2. Johnson fought thru injuries until he was a senior. It's probably why he ran like a ninny. I remember the Louisville game where we won and he couldn't throw the ball 20 yards.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I just go berserk.
    We've noticed that. Thought crimes really trigger you.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Probably the most important characteristics that Brian possessed that made him (eventually) great was he was a grinder, and was unflappable. He wasn't a serious talent, and never got a sniff from the NFL, but he persevered and got better.

I'm assuming Taylor sees similar characteristics in Huntley, though I think BJ probably wouldn't have had the same great senior season in the PAC-12, as the whole philosophy of depending on defense and Louie Sakoda wouldn't have been good enough to get through a PAC-12 schedule.
    We close the deal in 2015 with a 2008 Brian. We had Travis Wilson, who threw for 289 yards in his last three games combined, or 47 yards fewer than Brian threw against Alabama. No QB in Utah history leaned more on defense and special teams than Travis Wilson. Brian would've glued Travis' ass to the bench.

We close the deal in 2015 with a 2008 Brian. We had Travis Wilson, who threw for 289 yards in his last three games combined, or 47 yards fewer than Brian threw against Alabama. No QB in Utah history leaned more on defense and special teams than Travis Wilson. Brian would've glued Travis' ass to the bench.

As long as we are making comparisons, I was wondering yesterday how good the 2008 team would have been with Alex Smith as qb. He would have glued Brian's ass to the bench.

As long as we are making comparisons, I was wondering yesterday how good the 2008 team would have been with Alex Smith as qb. He would have glued Brian's ass to the bench.
    There goes Alex Smith, the best there ever was.

The 2008 team went undefeated with Brian and finished No. 2 in the country. How could Alex have improved on that?

The 2008 team went undefeated with Brian and finished No. 2 in the country. How could Alex have improved on that?
    Maybe bigger winning margins. (Now we are really in speculation-land!)

--Yeats

Maybe bigger winning margins. (Now we are really in speculation-land!)

Esp. against TCU and OSU. No last-second escapes at home. We would have been national champions in January 2009, not Sept. 2018.

But I didnt say Alex would have improved on our record, although I did speculate as to how much better the team would have been. I said he would have started over Brian and glued his ass to the bench.
    Last edited by concerned; 09-13-2018 at 10:43 AM.

Brian went down the 2008 stretch with David Reed, Freddy Brown, Braden Godfrey and Brent Casteel. Matt Asiata and Darrell Mack were the RB's and the OL was probably the best in Utah football history. Travis two best receivers that year, KScott and Covey, were injured the last month of 2015. No doubt Brian was a better QB than Travis. He also had better weapons.