Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Der Jakob Poeltl Thread

Der Jakob Poeltl Thread

I searched, but couldn't find a thread dedicated to Jakob. There has been lots of talk about his improvement, status as an all-time Ute great, and draft potential in other season and game threads. I'm guessing we will need a place to continue to discuss him after this season is over.

I love this picture of Jakob from the game Sunday. The fact that the 7 footer is flying through the air like someone much smaller, and the grin on his face are both awesome.

“To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Poeltl or Pöltl?! Where do we stand on this?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pötato, Potäto

Umlauts weren’t always written as dots above a vowel.

Since the Middle Ages, umlauted vowels have been indicated in various ways in German. Before the two-dot version became the standard in the 19th century, it was usually written as a tiny “e” above the vowel. It is still sometimes written with an e next to the vowel, for example, Muenchen for München, or schoen for schön.

However, the non-umlaut version is not quite as Metal:

Heavy Metal Umlauts don’t look so heavy metal to umlaut users.

Beginning with Blue Öyster Cult in the early '70s, heavy metal bands started using the umlaut to signal a badass hard rock attitude. To Americans the umlaut had a harsh, Teutonic look to it and Mötley Crüe, Motörhead, Queensr˙che, and dozens of other bands (listed on the Metal Umlaut Wikipedia page) tried to impart a little gothic scariness through randomly scattered pairs of dots. The dots didn’t have quite the same effect in umlaut-using countries, where the umlaut signifies vowel qualities of softness, highness, lightness and roundedness.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I searched, but couldn't find a thread dedicated to Jakob. There has been lots of talk about his improvement, status as an all-time Ute great, and draft potential in other season and game threads. I'm guessing we will need a place to continue to discuss him after this season is over.

I love this picture of Jakob from the game Sunday. The fact that the 7 footer is flying through the air like someone much smaller, and the grin on his face are both awesome.

I'll bet my son would love this pic as a poster.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    I'll bet my son would love this pic as a poster.
    It's an awesome shot

According to Krysko, Poeltl has a 36-38" vertical. Pretty impressive for a 7 footer.

The accolades are coming in.

USA Today all American 1st team

CBS Sports PAC 12 player of the year

The last 3 weeks he has looked like a young NBA center playing against college kids. Given where he was last year, he has earned every accolade that is undoubtedly coming his way. I won't be surprised if he is a consensus All American.

He's now 3 for 3 on major publications naming him First Team AA.

USA Today yesterday, ESPN and NBC today.

Looking like he has a legit chance to be a consensus AA. Here are the requirements, per wikipedia:

While an increasing number of media outlets select All-America teams, the NCAA recognizes consensus All-America teams back to 1905.[2] These teams have drawn from two to six major media sources over the years, and are intended to reflect the opinions of most college basketball experts. Today the four teams used to select consensus teams are: the Associated Press, The National Association of Basketball Coaches, the United States Basketball Writers Association and Sporting News magazine. Since 1984, the NCAA has applied a standardized point system to those teams designated as "major" All-American teams to determine consensus teams. The point system consists of three points for first team, two points for second team and one point for third team. No honorable mention or fourth team or lower are used in the computation. The top five totals plus ties are first team and the next five plus ties are second team.[3]

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Even if they do think he's a forward

Der Jakob Poeltl Thread

Jakob wins the Kareem Abdul Jabbar best center award.

Last edited by Diehard Ute; 04-08-2016 at 06:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Love it! A Cousy award one year, a KAJ award the next. Great things for Utah Basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    In fifty years, there will be a Matt Chastain award for the best sf in the nation. Purdue passing on him will be their bowie over Jordan.
    Absolutely!

Der Jakob Poeltl Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Awesome but this makes me nervous that he might start consider leaving a year early next year for the NBA.

Why a formal announcement? What does that portend?

One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Why a formal announcement? What does that portend?

College players going into their junior year frequently call press conferences to announce that they are returning to school.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    College players going into their junior year frequently call press conferences to announce that they are returning to school.
    I just held one about my intentions of going into the office tomorrow morning.

Eagerly awaiting Jakob's announcement that he's coming back for his junior year today!

Shit.

Good luck in your adventure Jakob!

Officially declares for the draft.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Now I just hope he lands in a good spot.

Now I just hope he lands in a good spot.
    So...not the Jazz.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

If you are an NBA GM, who would you take first? Poeltl or Sabonis?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    So...not the Jazz.
    Not the Jazz, who have Gobert. Not the Sixers who have 3 centers.

Wrong again.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    If you are an NBA GM, who would you take first? Poeltl or Sabonis?
    I think they have different games. So it depends on how you want to play him.

Sabonis is a better shooter, but I think Poeltl would be better in a pick-and-roll setup.

Wrong again.
    Calibrate that sarcasm meter.

Wrong again.
    Someday i hope to be like you, Su.....always right, and with enough money that i can go around and do things to better mankind for free because gosh darn it im a good person.