Thread: Mark Harlan Era

Mark Harlan Era

Utah has officially hired Mark Harlan, most recently the AD at South Florida, to replace Dr. Hill

http://utahutes.com/news/2018/6/1/ge...y-of-utah.aspx

Previously he was at UCLA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LOL. Did the Chris Hill thread already get deleted? How quickly LA wants to erase that chapter from the history books.

Ha. This is the way it should be. I hope this is a sign for the future. If the AD isn’t out of sight out of mind, it usually means something bad.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    LOL. Did the Chris Hill thread already get deleted? How quickly LA wants to erase that chapter from the history books.

I think the thread has fulfilled its purpose, since it was about who would be Hill's successor. Now we know. SU can use this thread to rant about how Harlan deserves no credit for anything that happens in Utah athletics.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think the thread has fulfilled its purpose, since it was about who would be Hill's successor. Now we know. SU can use this thread to rant about how Harlan deserves no credit for anything that happens in Utah athletics.
    I checked Harlan's USF twitter account and he's pretty active on twitter. That will be a nice change from the black hole of Whitt, Hill and Krysko who tweet about as often as a lunar eclipse.

Watched his introductory press conference

He’s very well spoken, but doesn’t come off as fake

Said when he was on the other side he always knew Utah’s teams were going to be “a fight” and he wants that to continue

Said the goal is always to win. But you have to define winning. He said Utah will win in the classroom, win in the community, and win in competition.

He talked about how he met with the staff and coaches this morning and told them this is a partnership. His job is to help the student athletes and coaches.

He said at the end of the year he doesn’t believe he should be evaluating the coaches but instead needs to evaluate himself and the department to see how they helped the coaches and programs.

He thanked the fans. Said the passionate fans are important, and the game day experience is very important. He said he intends to do a lot of asking to make sure that experience is good.

I was impressed, first blush is he’s a good hire.

I was impressed we got an experienced AD from a program as siignificant as South Florida. We’ve come a long ways since we had to hire a high school coach based on some snot nosed kid/recent law school grad’s (albeit a former U of U student body president) suggestion.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    The fact he hired Alford to UCLA makes me like him more. heh

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    I was impressed we got an experienced AD from a program as siignificant as South Florida. We’ve come a long ways since we had to hire a high school coach based on some snot nosed kid/recent law school grad’s (albeit a former U of U student body president) suggestion.
    I was just listening to the Harlan press conference and enjoyed hearing him say that "Chris Hill belongs on the Mount Rushmore of university athletic directors." I thought warmly of you at that moment.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by justaute View Post
    Considering this guy can't write and UCLA students are notoriously known for not supporting their athletic teams very well, his opinion doesn't carry much weight for me.

I know a lot of people were high on Kyle Brennan to be Hill's replacement. It looks like Brennan will be sticking around.

Utah Director of Athletics Mark Harlan bolstered his executive staff today by promoting Kyle Brennanto Chief Operating Officer/Deputy Athletics Director for Internal Operations and naming Scott Kull Deputy Athletics Director for External Operations. Kull was Harlan's deputy A.D. at the University of South Florida from 2016-18 and has been serving as USF's interim athletics director since Harlan departed for Utah in June.
    https://utahutes.com/news/2018/8/6/g...cott-kull.aspx