Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Hybrid View

UteBeliever@UteBeliever 11m11 minutes agoMore

UteBeliever Retweeted ESPN 700
    Between this, Covey and Whit, Taylor has lost the team. 3 votes of no confidence. Particularly troubling is that it's coming from offensive players.

UteBeliever added,
    ESPN 700Verified account @ESPN700
    "I feel like we should run more. We have a mini Marshawn Lynch in the backfield." -Lo Falemaka#Utes

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

Between this, Covey and Whit, Taylor has lost the team. 3 votes of no confidence. Particularly troubling is that it's coming from offensive players.

UteBeliever added,
    "I feel like we should run more. We have a mini Marshawn Lynch in the backfield." -Lo Falemaka#Utes
    I imagine the players were asking themselves why, after driving all the way past midfield on Moss’s back, they’re throwing on 2nd and 2.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

This is my new theory, based on nothing other than it is what I think I would do in KW's position. He will give Troy Taylor one more year to develop a competent offense. If we are this bad at the end of next year, KW will retire. He wont want to go thru yet another coordinator and start all over again on offense. It won't be worth it. (At least it wouldn't for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I imagine the players were asking themselves why, after driving all the way past midfield on Moss’s back, they’re throwing on 2nd and 2.
    I think throwing on 2nd or 3rd and short is pretty high percentage for us. The problem is when we get nothing on first and second and then have 3rd and long. We rarely convert those.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

UteBeliever added,
    This feels like a bad thing.

This is concerning, since our OC is a qb guru, supposedly

Pac-12 QBR
    1. Garbers, Cal 74.5
    2. Wilkins, ASU 72.4
    3. Herbert, UO 72.2
    4. Montez, CU 69.2
    5. Browning, UW 62.5
    6. Costello, Stan 59
    7. Blount, OSU 55.9
    8. Tate, UA 54.9
    9. Minshew, WSU 54.9
    10. Daniels, USC 53.6
    11. Huntley, Utah 39.8
    12. Thompson-Robinson, UCLA 23

TT's play calling reminds me of Crowton's offense at byu: there doesn't seem to be any sort of method to it. I'm the only Ute fan I know that thought A-Rod was fine, any shortcoming during his tenure was due to an average QB and well below average WRs. We still have those troubles but TT's play calling is making those issues worse. Dumping A-Rod was a mistake.

Huntley can't make an accurate throw more than 20 yards downfield, his only deep throw against UW was picked.

The Utes need to be a power run team. We've only had two decent receivers during our PAC years, Carrington who was only here for one year & Covey who is going to be broken in half in the next game or two.

If Tuttle isn't starting next year, he's not nearly as good as we hyped him up to be.

Defense looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    TT's play calling reminds me of Crowton's offense at byu: there doesn't seem to be any sort of method to it. I'm the only Ute fan I know that thought A-Rod was fine, any shortcoming during his tenure was due to an average QB and well below average WRs. We still have those troubles but TT's play calling is making those issues worse. Dumping A-Rod was a mistake.

Huntley can't make an accurate throw more than 20 yards downfield, his only deep throw against UW was picked.

The Utes need to be a power run team. We've only had two decent receivers during our PAC years, Carrington who was only here for one year & Covey who is going to be broken in half in the next game or two.

If Tuttle isn't starting next year, he's not nearly as good as we hyped him up to be.

Defense looks good though.
    I'll see your ARod and raise you a BJohnson. I didn't want either of them to be fired.

Huntley is not the most accurate downfield passer, but this is college football, you don't have to be the most accurate downfield passer to have some success. He just needs to make a good decision and let it rip. That will turn into a completion sometimes (happened against NIU, and it happened for Shelley against Weber). We should still try a few times per game. It keeps the defense honest, and when it works, the payoff is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    This feels like a bad thing.
    I would say that "lost the team" 3 games into the season is a bit of a stretch, but even Kyle admitted during his press conference today that things need to be simplified.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.