Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    It's Oct. 21, 2015. Keep an eye out for Marty McFly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tons of articles out today, here's one: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...1dc_story.html
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Alright folks, we're 13 days away from fall camp getting started. We can see August on the horizon, and we're starting to have coach interviews on ESPN700, so I'd say it is time for the 2018 season thread.

Gary Anderson interview: https://espn700sports.com/bill-riley...e-2018-season/

Let's go!

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

What new player are you most excited to see?

Which returning player (besides Covey) do you think can make the jump?

What are your biggest questions as we head towards fall camp?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    What new player are you most excited to see?

Which returning player (besides Covey) do you think can make the jump?

What are your biggest questions as we head towards fall camp?
    Most excited to see Mika Tafua. Sounds like he could be a difference maker this year.

For returner I have to go with Huntley. Feel good about Moss, and if Huntley can take a big step forward that will impact the entire offense.
    M

I'm interested to see with what we have at lb/safety. A lot of bodies but will be interesting who ends up playing.

The schedule-makers royally screwed us this year. We miss osu + cal; Arizona misses UW and the ducks. That means we have a two game whole to U of A before the season begins. I don't know how you fix the scheduling problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm interested to see with what we have at lb/safety. A lot of bodies but will be interesting who ends up playing.

The schedule-makers royally screwed us this year. We miss osu + cal; Arizona misses UW and the ducks. That means we have a two game whole to U of A before the season begins. I don't know how you fix the scheduling problem.
    Same with USC; they also miss the ducks and Huskies, which is why we wont win the south this year. starting next year, the sched will be much more favorable.

Im looking to see if we have a pass rush, if our receivers step up, and most important, if Huntley has improved as a decision maker. Does he spread the ball around and get everybody involved.

Pac 12 Media Days have come and gone and fall camp starts this week. One of the themes from media days I noticed is how high folks are on this defense, and specifically the secondary. On the offensive side of the ball, Moss and Shyne are going to be a helluva 1-2 punch and the WR corps is deep, but inexperienced. I'm interested to see how the depth chart changes from the start of fall camp with guys like Covey and Ford as backups at their respective positions. We're oh so close folks!

Fall camp starts today!

Fall camp starts today!

via GIPHY

Players In: Vickers
    On their Way: Pirtle
    Next week, probably: Bernard
    Not expected: Beeno (the late OT commit...might be headed to USC), David Fotu (Leki's brother).

Source - Dan Sorenson on Gunther and Ben.

Players In: Vickers
    On their Way: Pirtle
    Next week, probably: Bernard
    Not expected: Beeno (the late OT commit...might be headed to USC), David Fotu (Leki's brother).

Source - Dan Sorenson on Gunther and Ben.
    You deserve a big pay raise for sitting through a segment with them.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    You deserve a big pay raise for sitting through a segment with them.
    I thought it was Riley...by the time I realized it wasn't (1 second in) it was too late. I owe it to the UB5 community to get them the info they deserve!

I thought it was Riley...by the time I realized it wasn't (1 second in) it was too late. I owe it to the UB5 community to get them the info they deserve!
    The $10 a month Ive paid faithfully since joining all those years ago is money well spent.

What's the David Fotu news - didn't qualify? I imagine he'll end up at Snow if that's the case.

Fall camp starts today!

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    What's the David Fotu news - didn't qualify? I imagine he'll end up at Snow if that's the case.
    Yep. Hopefully, we can get him back once he gets his academics together.

This sort of goes here. Interesting criticism (from Jon Wilner's newsletter) of all the coaches except David Shaw:

An ESPY for missed opportunity?

Had you turned on ESPN at some point Tuesday, chances are you saw Stanford coach David Shaw. He appeared on numerous shows as part of the so-called ‘car wash,’ in which college coaches make the trek to Bristol for a one-day barrage of interviews with ESPN reporters, appearances on ESPN shows and chats with ESPN executives.

Shaw was the only Pac-12 coach to visit ESPN HQ. His trip required a red-eye flight and came on the eve of Stanford's training camp.

This commentary, however, is not about what Shaw did -- that could have been any of the coaches in ESPN's studios Tuesday -- so much as what his peers didn't do.

They didn't take advantage of an opportunity to visit with some of the most influential opinion-shapers and decision-makers in college football. For all the much-publicized subscriber losses, ESPN remains the most powerful media entity in the sport by an order of magnitude.

A cross-country flight and 24 hours on the ground seems, from this vantage point, like a fractional outlay of time and energy compared to the invaluable face time with ESPN powerbrokers.

OK, two key points:

• The coaches did a pint-sized version of the car wash last week at Pac-12 media day in Hollywood, where they met with ESPN reporters and broadcasters and received airtime on a multi-hour live show on ESPNU.

• In years past, the conference has shuttled all the coaches to Bristol for a formal car wash session in late July. This year, it was informal: ESPN didn’t extend invitations that were, in turn, rejected.

Shaw's approach was wholly voluntary, and proactive: He felt it was important, and ESPN welcomed him with appearances on Get Up, SportsCenter, Scott Van Pelt and College Football Live.

All of which brings us to the larger discussion about Pac-12 brand building and the role coaches could, or should, play in that essential endeavor.

Yes, they are paid to win and graduate players.

Yes, they are smart guys with smart advisers and no doubt had good reason for not going to Bristol.

And yes, ESPN went over the line last year with Washington (i.e., the cupcake nonsense and Kirk Herbstreit's rebuke of Chris Petersen).

But ESPN is also invested in the Pac-12, to the tune of $1.5 billion over 12 years, and could be at the negotiating table for the next round of rights.

I'd argue that schlepping to Bristol, even days after the mini-car wash in Hollywood and days before the start of training camp, is still worth the time and effort ... that the high road and the big picture matter ... that the pilgrimage could carry benefits down the road for the schools and the conference.

Football is arguably the best marketing tools the campuses have, the football coach is often the public face of the university, and ESPN provides a platform unmatched in college sports.

Before we close, a final point:

Don't pin this missed opportunity on the folks at Pac-12 HQ. The conference brass is acutely aware of ESPN’s influence and encouraged the coaches to visit Bristol. Only one felt it was worth the time. More should have. -- Jon Wilner
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-03-2018 at 03:12 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Anyone know why the football season was cancelled? That's the only thing I can think of why this thread has been so slow despite camp having started.

Anyway, sounds like we've had our first season ending injury announcement. "Junior running back Devonta'e Henry-Cole will be out for the season with an injury." Maybe people knew this, but it was news to me.

Some good news to balance out the bad. "Junior linebacker Bryant Pirtle (Louisville, Ky./Pima CC), who signed with Utah last December, has completed his academic requirements and will begin practice today."

https://utahutes.com/news/2018/8/6/f...-the-pads.aspx
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 08-06-2018 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Anyone know why the football season was cancelled? That's the only thing I can think of why this thread has been so slow despite camp having started.

Anyway, sounds like we've had our first season ending injury announcement. "Junior running back Devonta'e Henry-Cole will be out for the season with an injury." Maybe people knew this, but it was news to me.

RB seems like such an injury prone position. Too bad he looked exceptional the last few games of 2017.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    RB seems like such an injury prone position. Too bad he looked exceptional the last few games of 2017.
    At least it wasn't a leg issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post

Some good news to balance out the bad. "Junior linebacker Bryant Pirtle (Louisville, Ky./Pima CC), who signed with Utah last December, has completed his academic requirements and will begin practice today."

If it makes you feel better, I was just going to post those updates!

Seems like it has been a pretty quiet camp so far. I guess having a clear cut #1 at QB and an OC for a second straight year will do that for ya!

It sounds like Ford is already living up to the hype.

Pirtle will be a bit behind beyond missing time learning, he has to go through the acclimation process before he’s allowed in pads.

Wow, was that a tight end catching the ball #44?

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Wow, was that a tight end catching the ball #44?

I have 2 North end zone seats that my son cannot use for the Weber St. game. N25, Row 39, seats 18 and 19. Face value is $46 per ticket. I am happy to sell them to anyone interested.

Apparently this is not Sasquatch

Francis Bernard outside the football facility this morning.