Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    You also have to give Pershing (and others in the Admin bldg) a lot of credit. Getting our academic standing looking better contributed.
    Yep. That was a 30+ year process that started with David Gardner.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Yep. That was a 30+ year process that started with David Gardner.
    Soon after I started at the U, we hired Chris Hill, and he hired Majerus and McBride.

You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Sure, they are all great. Although we are talking about sustained competitiveness with limited resources. The only other one on your list that merits praise for doing that is Fat Rick; as Fat Rick is the greatest basketball coach of all-time at Utah, so too is Kyle W the best football coach of all-time. And it's not even close.
    Not even close? Forget about what Urban has done since leaving Utah, and especially the matters of the last month. He won two outright titles in two years at a school that hadn't won an outright title in multiple generations. Kyle has half as many such titles in nearly 6.5 times as many seasons.

Kyle is the best proven coach for the uniqueness that is Utah -- there is no doubt about that. But if you're going to talk about "best" you need to include results, and Kyle's in no way match up with Urban's.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Not even close? Forget about what Urban has done since leaving Utah, and especially the matters of the last month. He won two outright titles in two years at a school that hadn't won an outright title in multiple generations. Kyle has half as many such titles in nearly 6.5 times as many seasons.

Kyle is the best proven coach for the uniqueness that is Utah -- there is no doubt about that. But if you're going to talk about "best" you need to include results, and Kyle's in no way match up with Urban's.
    Urban is a great coach. But the discussion was about "sustained competitiveness" (at least until LAUte made it all about joining the Pac-12). Urban was amazing at Utah, but he did not "sustain" anything.

Urban is a great coach. But the discussion was about "sustained competitiveness" (at least until LAUte made it all about joining the Pac-12). Urban was amazing at Utah, but he did not "sustain" anything.
    Try telling yourself that every time you look at The Muss.

Davir Hamilton has announced that he’s transferring. Had a lot of hope for him when he committed but he just keeps getting buried on the depth chart. Strange timing though. He expects to graduate in the spring so he’ll be a grad transfer with two years to play two. It seems like there wouldn’t have been a down side to staying on the team through the season, because you never know. It’s not as though it’s going to save him a year of eligibility. :shrug:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Actually, the discussion was all about why Utah doesn’t get more attention and respect. But I enjoyed making it “all about joining the Pac-12” (sic) so much, I’m going to do it again in exactly the same words:

Here are the immutable USA population facts:

Eastern Standard Time Zone: 150.2 million (47.1%)
    Central Standard Time Zone: 92.3 million (29.0%)
    Mountain Standard Time Zone: 21.3 million (6.7%)
    Pacific Standard Time Zone: 53.0 million (16.6%)

This is one reason why I am proud of what Utah accomplishes. Among other things, money and attention flow to the places where the most eyeballs live. It’s amazing we do as well as we do. It’s also probably the main reason why joining the PAC-12 was the most important event in the history of University of Utah sports, not to mention of the University itself; and one of the more important events in the history of the State of Utah as well.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...s-respectively
    Then someone could not resist his inner troll and decided to turn a perfectly interesting discussion of how Utah has overachieved despite its challenging geographic circumstances into a discussion about individuals. I’m so sorry I made it all about joining the PAC-12.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-23-2018 at 10:48 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

A couple very nicely put together hype videos put out by the football department and one by the athletic department.

Direct link: https://twitter.com/utah_football/st...83216807768064

I can’t seem to figure out what I’m screwing up, but here’s the Athletic Dept video, at least.

https://youtu.be/B7CGawWoA9Y

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dwight Schr-Ute; 08-24-2018 at 12:43 AM.

Try telling yourself that every time you look at The Muss.
    Sir, I knew Urban Meyer. Urban Meyer was a friend of mine. Urban Meyer did not start the Muss.

https://continuum.utah.edu/departments/we-muss-we-muss/

(he was a great supporter/recruiter, but the MUSS came about from pent-up student demand. It just took administrators not standing in the way to make the MUSS work)

So...NCAA officially recognizes Utah as 2008 national champions? Is that right? Looks like we are commemorating a 10 year anniversary this season. Let's bust out a banner.

Sir, I knew Urban Meyer. Urban Meyer was a friend of mine. Urban Meyer did not start the Muss.

(he was a great supporter/recruiter, but the MUSS came about from pent-up student demand. It just took administrators not standing in the way to make the MUSS work)
    Urban put a product out there that ensured the Muss' viability, basically forever. He immediately turned Utah into a football school.

Urban put a product out there that ensured the Muss' viability, basically forever. He immediately turned Utah into a football school.
    Sure. I loved Urban. He did great work in almost two years here. He had a great football team here.

But giving him credit for creating the muss (it predates him) is like giving him credit for recruiting Alex Smith.

Urban was apparently the first Utah head coach to have a student cheering section called The MUSS. Not having been around at that time, I didn’t know that.

THE HISTORY OF THE MUSS

https://attheu.utah.edu/home-page/th...y-of-the-muss/

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    So...NCAA officially recognizes Utah as 2008 national champions? Is that right? Looks like we are commemorating a 10 year anniversary this season. Let's bust out a banner.
    Now the Pac-12 recognizes it as well. Am I the only one who thinks this is neat? I was at the Sugar Bowl - greatest football experience of my life. Now the game means just a tiny bit more. It's nice to have a title in the books. It's cool to be the only non-BCS champion in the BCS era.

It's also pretty cool that UCF gets to be the only (so far) non-P5 champion in the playoff era.

Urban was apparently the first Utah head coach to have a student cheering section called The MUSS. Not having been around at that time, I didn’t know that.

THE HISTORY OF THE MUSS

https://attheu.utah.edu/home-page/th...y-of-the-muss/
    Yes, the MUSS' first season was also Urban's first season. The formation of the MUSS, however, predated Urban. Urban was a big supporter, though.

Now the Pac-12 recognizes it as well. Am I the only one who thinks this is neat? I was at the Sugar Bowl - greatest football experience of my life. Now the game means just a tiny bit more. It's nice to have a title in the books. It's cool to be the only non-BCS champion in the BCS era.

It's also pretty cool that UCF gets to be the only (so far) non-P5 champion in the playoff era.
    What? That we won a NATTY 10 years ago? No big deal. Some of us already knew.

Yes, the MUSS' first season was also Urban's first season. The formation of the MUSS, however, predated Urban. Urban was a big supporter, though.
    It wasn't called the MUSS until 2003 when he became coach. It started one year before, in 2002, and was called the Utah Football Fan Club.

You're right, he didn't start the MUSS but he sure was instrumental in launching it, because it was really nothing before he showed up:

It all began early in 2002 with a group of nine Utah students who started what was first called the Utah Football Fan Club. The club was started in conjunction with the Alumni Association under the guidance of Director of Alumni Relations John Fackler, a.k.a. the Godfather of the MUSS.

"We thought we might get maybe 300 students," said Fackler of their first-year efforts.

Instead, 800 showed up.

The next year, the group nearly doubled to 1,400, and in 2004 it doubled again to 2,800. Of course it didn't hurt that the Utes were winning, going 10-2 in 2003 and 12-0 in 2004, but much of the credit goes to Fackler and the energetic group of U. students.

Now the MUSS has 5,000 members and so much support, its numbers have been capped in order to leave a few seats for students who don't belong to the group.

"It's grown beyond our wildest dreams," said Fackler.

Although Meyer didn't start the group, he was a big help in building it up. He made a concerted effort to visit the dorms and various campus groups. He came up with the idea to have the team stand and gather in front of the MUSS after every game and sing the school fight song, "Utah Man," while the band played.

"I give Urban a lot of credit," said Fackler. "We knew we'd get the diehard fans, but we also wanted to get the social fans."

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/705338170/Utah-Utes-football-Fan-club-a-MUSS-do-for-U-students.html
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-27-2018 at 07:09 AM.

--Yeats

It wasn't called the MUSS until 2003 when he became coach.

Sheesh, don't you have better GIFs than that one? I had to stare at it for a while before I could see the shocking cruelty to an animal you are promoting. Anyway, just trying to be historically accurate.

--Yeats

Sheesh, don't you have better GIFs than that one? I had to stare at it for a while before I could see the shocking cruelty to an animal you are promoting. Anyway, just trying to be historically accurate.
    Don't you control the gifs for this site? Get your house in order!

Don't you control the gifs for this site? Get your house in order!
    No, that's Jarid's job.

--Yeats

True. The MUSS existed before Urban. I remember a rain soaked MUSS banner in the stadium during a rainy UNLV game in 2002. It was a horrible game to attend because of the weather and the opponent.

After Urban was hired, I remember him talking on a coach's show about how he was going to engage the student body and try to make football an "event". Then 2004 happened.

It was a nice combination of events that happened at the right time.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    True. The MUSS existed before Urban. I remember a rain soaked MUSS banner in the stadium during a rainy UNLV game in 2002. It was a horrible game to attend because of the weather and the opponent.

After Urban was hired, I remember him talking on a coach's show about how he was going to engage the student body and try to make football an "event". Then 2004 happened.

It was a nice combination of events that happened at the right time.

What is the argument again? If we are arguing coaching legacy, there's only one coach who brought us a national championship. He's the coach who should get a lifetime contract, and, maybe a statue or a field naming ceremony.

So, this is the year. There should be no excuses. USC is starting a freshman at QB, UCLA has a new coaching staff, Colorado were one hit wonders, Arizona State is in disarray and Arizona has a pre-season Heisman candidate at QB, but they are still Arizona.

The Utes on the other hand, by all accounts, are loaded on both sides of the ball, especially the D. Anything less than an appearance in the playoff and I will consider this season a huge disappointment. Again, this is the year.

What is the argument again? If we are arguing coaching legacy, there's only one coach who brought us a national championship. He's the coach who should get a lifetime contract, and, maybe a statue or a field naming ceremony.
    The original argument was best. Now it's turned into whose legacy is greater.

Urban was the best coach ever to walk the sidelines at Utah by a country mile, and to say he never built anything sustaining here is not only ridiculous, but largely disproven. Kyle's legacy could arguably be considered stronger, since he was a product of the state and the rivalry long before he ever wore red and white.

No real argument. I was curious about when the MUSS started. According to what I dug up, it was first called the MUSS when Urban started in 2003. For a single season, 2002, there was the Utah Football Fan Club, a name that Applejack probably came up with. I the articles I cited are correct, the MUSS got its name and also real lift-off when Urban came.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    So, this is the year. There should be no excuses. USC is starting a freshman at QB, UCLA has a new coaching staff, Colorado were one hit wonders, Arizona State is in disarray and Arizona has a pre-season Heisman candidate at QB, but they are still Arizona.

The Utes on the other hand, by all accounts, are loaded on both sides of the ball, especially the D. Anything less than an appearance in the playoff and I will consider this season a huge disappointment. Again, this is the year.
    Sound like the typical BYU method. Huge hype and expectations going into the season (BYU always wins February and August), and then as you said, huge disappointment after reality sets in.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I looked at the depth chart. It gave me the pee shivers. These guys could be freaking good. Also, lots of youth. And linebackers even AJ can't bitch about.

The biggest pisser is the way the scheduling Gods have deigned that the good guys have an impossible task to win the Southerly regional championship. Swap the crossover games for Southern Cal and the Mighty Utes, and even my overly-cynical father would like the chances of the good guys taking the south this year. It's so odd to look at USC's schedule and see no Oregon or Washington. Makes me feel a little guilty for our boys screwing up the Pac 10 round-robin schedule, but the Mighty Utes are the team paying the price, so screw everybody. Bit of a shame that this 2018 team can't play the 2019 schedule, but, based on my understanding of physics and the laws of Heaven, that's not going to be possible. So we'll just have to wear everybody's asses like hats on the uphill climb.

Utah came into 2018 ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and we're all out of bubblegum. If Huntley stays healthy, my father's optimistic prediction is Utah wins at least 5 games. At least. Light 'em up!

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post

This is what happens when the Spirit of the Zoob possesses a fan of the BYU to analyze the Utes like he would his own Mighty Cougars. But I agree, Utah should look pretty good on the ol' rabbit ears. Hoping to catch some snaps between I Dream of Genie reruns on the UHF.