Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Looks like Siosi Mariner is on his way out.

LOL.

Sure coach.

Siosi.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post

They’ve been deleted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    They’ve been deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Sure. No chance they were a cri de couer

Please tell me he is not an English major?

Edit: I checked, sociology major.
    Last edited by Sullyute; 10-29-2018 at 07:19 PM.

Saturday morning I woke up and checked ESPN for the time of the Ute game, as I do every Saturday morning this time of year. It said Utah 41 UCLA 10. Surreal. Game over. 41-10; again. 41 points two weeks in a row and the third time. 42 and 40 points in the preceding week. For a moment I wondered if I was a victim of a practical joke by LAUte. What is going on with these wins and these point totals? Weird.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    For a moment I wondered if I was a victim of a practical joke by LAUte.
    Come on, I always knew Troy Taylor would work out as OC. Everyone knows that. I've been predicting it all along.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Come on, I always knew Troy Taylor would work out as OC. Everyone knows that. I've been predicting it all along.
    But what about all those 41s. That’s so weird.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Now wait until USC or UW try to hire him away. Their OC's arent working out so well.

But what about all those 41s. That’s so weird.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Now wait until USC or UW try to hire him away. Their OC's arent working out so well.
    I was thinking about that over the weekend. If his wild success continues he will have offers. Think about it -- he'll be the guy who finally unleashed the Utah defensive juggernaut by adding an offense that works.

--Yeats

Good article on Zach Moss from Draft Wire. Solid quote.

I get a certain level of satisfaction from wearing out the defense and imposing my will on them. I enjoy watching them quit play by play. That’s when they start to understand they don’t even wanna play with you.
    https://draftwire.usatoday.com/2018/...mpression=true

Like.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    Please tell me he is not an English major?

Edit: I checked, sociology major.
    Sociology. The "majoring in eligibility" major for Utah athletics (and a lot of other schools, too).

Like.

Dislike.

A fast-rising prospect in the 2019 NFL draft class

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Dislike.
    Aren’t we all pretty used to early departures to the draft by players like Moss? (Garett Bolles, for example.) I’d love to see Moss stay but he’s got to do what’s right for him. I hope he follows the Devonte Booker path.

--Yeats

Dislike.

Double edged sword.

We lose a great player, but recruits see that we have great players.

I expected him to go, but now it seems inevitable

I expected him to go, but now it seems inevitable
    Whit always has another great back.

--Albert Einstein

--Richard Dawkins

--Philo

Whit always has another great back.
    Sure, he's good with rbs, dlineman and has a pretty strong record on DBs. But that new back would need to be seasoned (like moss). It took two years of medicore/decent moss before this year's version of moss. Call me selfish, but I want one more yr.

Sure, he's good with rbs, dlineman and has a pretty strong record on DBs. But that new back would need to be seasoned (like moss). It took two years of medicore/decent moss before this year's version of moss. Call me selfish, but I want one more yr.
    Shyne has another year.

TJ Green has shown flashes.

Devonte Henry-Cole will be back next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Shyne has another year.

TJ Green has shown flashes.

Devonte Henry-Cole will be back next year.

I don't think Green or DHC are every back downs. They are more change of pace guys, although Green could surprise us. His body is much better than it was when he came in. Shyne just seems to have lost a step, I don't think we want to rely on him as a primary back. I think we might need Brumfield or a newcomer (possibly Micah Bernard).

Hopefully Moss hasn't paid any attention to what has happened (or not happened) to Bryce Love this year and sees no risk of coming back for his senior year.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Our preferred mold is bruiser, but we've worked with the slasher-type before (wolfman). Shyne could certainly be a short yardage back with Green in on 1st/2nd downs. Taylor has to be creative to use what he has.

I don't know anything about pass protection from these guys. Actually, I don't know how good Moss is on that either.
    Moss is pretty damn good at pass pro (both in identifying and executing). He misses a few blitz reads here and there but he's generally pretty solid.

I don't like what I've seen from Shyne this year. He is terrible in pass protection and as Scratch notes he has lost a little juice. It's probably understandable given his injury and wanting to be cautious, but if he were our go-to guy we would be in trouble. DHC is what he is - a speedster. I don't see him as an top guy; he's more of a change-of-pace guy.

Green, on the other hand, is intriguing to me. He's a RS freshman so there is room to grow, his body is better than when he arrived (good sign both on the genetics side and the work ethic side), and some of his runs he has displayed a burst that I didn't know that he had. I have hope for him. But, there would be serious growing pains with him as #1.

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

After the ASU game, and looking at the bright side of life, the Utes and Whitt still have a chance to get the November Monkey off their backs. We could still see something completely different and have a standout season. Here’s why.

1. Their next 3 games are very winnable. (It’ll be interesting to see how Vegas responds to Huntley being hurt.)

2. Shelley doesn’t have to be Huntley for the Utes to win, he just has to do a solid job. We can go to war with the QB we have and do well.

3. There’s a lot for everyone to learn from the loss.

• The defense will take a serious look at the ASU game film and now will feel like they have something to prove.

• The O-line and WRs will too.

• And yes, the coaches also. Although many of us here seem to want to give Whitt and his staff yet another pass, does anyone here doubt that the coaches are feeling horrible about being upset so badly in such an important game, or that they’re not painfully aware of the November thing?)

4. The Ute players and coaches are all high character guys and they’re staring serious adversity in the face. They’ve dealt well with such tests so far this year.

We have plenty to cheer for. I’ll be at the Oregon game loudly singing “Utah Man.”
    Last edited by LA Ute; 11-05-2018 at 07:12 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I'm not optimistic here. Shelley has been in a few times this season, and he hasn't done anything yet. His best play of the year is either the screen pass he threw to Covey on Sat or the long run he had against Weber St.

With our defense giving up huge passing plays all year, it feels like we need to outscore opponents and/or control the clock. I just don't see how it happens now. The defense will have to step up in a big way.
    I am hoping that he'll settle down with time. He understandably looked scared against ASU.

--Yeats

So the standings in the pac 12 south Here's a look at all of their remaining Pac12 Schedules and projected finish ()

Utah 4-3 (6-3)
    Ore
    @Colo

USC 4-3 (5-4)
    CAL
    @UCLA

Zona 4-3 (5-4)
    @Wazzu
    ASU

Colo 2-4 (3-6)
    Wazzu
    Utah
    @Cal

ASU 3-3 (4-5)
    UCLA
    @Ore
    @Zona

UCLA 2-4 (2-7)
    @ASU
    USC
    Stan

I'm thinking ASU loses at Oregon and at AZ
    I'm also thinking USC Loses to Cal

If We end up in a 3 way tie with AZ and USC we win the south
    If we end up in a 4 way tie with ASU and ASU's loss is to AZ then ASU is the champ (Record vs the other 3 puts Utah and ASU at 2-1 then ASU with the tiebreaker)
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Thank you CAL!
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Thank you CAL!
    I am a huge Oregon Ducks fan this coming week. Go Ducks. Fly!!!!!!!