Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

TT's play calling reminds me of Crowton's offense at byu: there doesn't seem to be any sort of method to it. I'm the only Ute fan I know that thought A-Rod was fine, any shortcoming during his tenure was due to an average QB and well below average WRs. We still have those troubles but TT's play calling is making those issues worse. Dumping A-Rod was a mistake.

Huntley can't make an accurate throw more than 20 yards downfield, his only deep throw against UW was picked.

The Utes need to be a power run team. We've only had two decent receivers during our PAC years, Carrington who was only here for one year & Covey who is going to be broken in half in the next game or two.

If Tuttle isn't starting next year, he's not nearly as good as we hyped him up to be.

Defense looks good though.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Doesn’t help when he does that and fumbles though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah, I guess I feel very forgiving towards him for that because he’s so tough and has been the only receiver who’s contributed all season (judging by the stats concerned posted). To me it looks like he’s the only WR who’s really working hard out there.

I was also really interested in what you said about the receivers short-arming Huntley’s inaccurate passes as a means of survival. Maybe Covey’s just crazy or brave enough to actually catch the ball, bad pass or not.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by Nice Marmot View Post
    TT's play calling reminds me of Crowton's offense at byu: there doesn't seem to be any sort of method to it. I'm the only Ute fan I know that thought A-Rod was fine, any shortcoming during his tenure was due to an average QB and well below average WRs. We still have those troubles but TT's play calling is making those issues worse. Dumping A-Rod was a mistake.

Huntley can't make an accurate throw more than 20 yards downfield, his only deep throw against UW was picked.

The Utes need to be a power run team. We've only had two decent receivers during our PAC years, Carrington who was only here for one year & Covey who is going to be broken in half in the next game or two.

If Tuttle isn't starting next year, he's not nearly as good as we hyped him up to be.

Defense looks good though.
    I'll see your ARod and raise you a BJohnson. I didn't want either of them to be fired.

Huntley is not the most accurate downfield passer, but this is college football, you don't have to be the most accurate downfield passer to have some success. He just needs to make a good decision and let it rip. That will turn into a completion sometimes (happened against NIU, and it happened for Shelley against Weber). We should still try a few times per game. It keeps the defense honest, and when it works, the payoff is huge.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I was also really interested in what you said about the receivers short-arming Huntley’s inaccurate passes as a means of survival.
    I don't want to call out our players for things that may not be happening. Our drops seem like good old fashioned drops and not alligator arm drops.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't want to call out our players for things that may not be happening. Our drops seem like good old fashioned drops and not alligator arm drops.
    I don't think they were intentionally missing. I didn't read what Diehard said that way. What he seemed to be passing along was the idea that the WRs were not making moves to get to badly thrown passes in order to avoid being vulnerable to nasty hits like the ones Covey got. That's still not flattering at all but it's different from saying they were intentionally missing. (It's different only in degree, I admit, but still different.)

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I don't think they were intentionally missing. I didn't read what Diehard said that way. What he seemed to be passing along was the idea that the WRs were not making moves to get to badly thrown passes in order to avoid being vulnerable to nasty hits like the ones Covey got. That's still not flattering at all but it's different from saying they were intentionally missing. (It's different only in degree, I admit, but still different.)
    I think it is a combo of Huntley's accuracy and the routes they are being forced to run in this offense. Many of the routes that Covey had to run are the type ripe for big hits... and he absolutely got them. Add to the risk if you are having to stretch yourself out, reach behind you so you aren't able to look ahead or jumping to make the catch... double whammy. The coaching staff needs to be better at protecting guys like Covey... particularly because Covey is extraordinary at getting extra yardage after a catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I think it is a combo of Huntley's accuracy and the routes they are being forced to run in this offense. Many of the routes that Covey had to run are the type ripe for big hits... and he absolutely got them. Add to the risk if you are having to stretch yourself out, reach behind you so you aren't able to look ahead or jumping to make the catch... double whammy. The coaching staff needs to be better at protecting guys like Covey... particularly because Covey is extraordinary at getting extra yardage after a catch.
    We should be lining Covey up everywhere we can, even in the shotgun with Huntley split wide or in the backfield. What we lack in talent, we have to make up in ingenuity. And with Covey, we can really mindjack with opposing defensive coordinators. We can't keep running him out of the slot and expect him to hold up physically.

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    We should be lining Covey up everywhere we can, even in the shotgun with Huntley split wide or in the backfield. What we lack in talent, we have to make up in ingenuity. And with Covey, we can really mindjack with opposing defensive coordinators. We can't keep running him out of the slot and expect him to hold up physically.
    An interesting film breakdown on the jet sweeps we have designed for Covey and what’s not working. Utah stuff starts at the 5:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/LzAc2SffmEc

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    An interesting film breakdown on the jet sweeps we have designed for Covey and what’s not working. Utah stuff starts at the 5:15 mark.

https://youtu.be/LzAc2SffmEc

Seemed like a pretty good analysis. Who is this guy?

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Seemed like a pretty good analysis. Who is this guy?
    Max Browne was SC’s starting QB when they lost to Alabama in the opener 52-6. I think he was replaced by Sam Darnold soon after.

Interesting choice to use the kitchen sink as his backdrop.

I think I had reasonable expectations and hopes going into the season. I thought we would go 8-4 with the hope that with some breaks we might get to 10 wins and win the south. I’m now having a hard time seeing us get to 6 wins. The last time I remember being this pessimistic about Utah football was the year we jumped out to a big lead against Wazzu at home and then watch them take the lead and then have Drez drop a perfectly thrown ball that likely would have been a winning TD. We were in LA the following week visiting our daughter and the Utes were playing at UCLA. I was so pessimistic, we drove right by the Rose Bowl and did not go to the game. Utes beat UCLA that night when Bruins missed a FG.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I think I had reasonable expectations and hopes going into the season. I thought we would go 8-4 with the hope that with some breaks we might get to 10 wins and win the south. I’m now having a hard time seeing us get to 6 wins.
    ESPN's computers still have us going 8-4, and they are usually pretty low on us.

Stupid Wazzu gave up so many big plays vs USC last night. They almost did us a favor. Now both teams will feel somewhat desperate next week.

[QUOTE=sancho;115053]ESPN's computers still have us going 8-4

http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2018

Season Odds:

2-10, 0.05%
    3-9, 0.68%
    4-8, 4.14%
    5-7, 13.51%
    6-6, 25.77%
    7-5, 29.27%
    8-4, 19.19%
    9-3, 6.54%
    10-2, 0.86%

[QUOTE=sancho;115353]
    ESPN's computers still have us going 8-4

http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2018

Season Odds:

2-10, 0.05%
    3-9, 0.68%
    4-8, 4.14%
    5-7, 13.51%
    6-6, 25.77%
    7-5, 29.27%
    8-4, 19.19%
    9-3, 6.54%
    10-2, 0.86%
    are we giving to little credit to WSU for Saturday?

since Mike Leach lost to Eastern Washington to open up the 2016 season, the Cougars are 15-1 in Pullman (only loss to the UW team that went to the playoffs)

OK, time for some good news and props. Current NCAA defensive stats:

Utah

Total defense: 5th
    First down defense: 2nd

Not bad.

--Yeats

[QUOTE=Scorcho;115354]

are we giving to little credit to WSU for Saturday?

since Mike Leach lost to Eastern Washington to open up the 2016 season, the Cougars are 15-1 in Pullman (only loss to the UW team that went to the playoffs)
    Perhaps. If Wazzu keeps this up, Leach is a strong contender for COY. Wazzu was picked 5th in the North. Their only road games left are OSU, Stanford and Arizona. So two are winnable. They get Cal, Oregon and UW in Pullman. Hard to see Wazzu not winning 7 games, minimum. But if you’re gonna do something in this league, you gotta win road games against above average teams.

I saw this at UF.net:

Statchat

• Utah is No. 2 in the nation (No. 1 Pac-12) in first down defense (57).

• Utah is No. 3 in the nation (No. 1 Pac-12) in rushing defense (83.8).

• Utah is No. 5 in the nation (No. 1 Pac-12) in total defense (264.8).

• Utah is No. 5 in the nation (No. 1/T Pac-12) in red zone defense (0.667, 6-of-9).

• Utah is No. 8 in the nation (No. 3 Pac-12) in net punting (42.63).

• Utah is No. 1 in the Pac-12 in pass efficiency defense (100.75).

• Utah leads the Pac-12 in fewest penalties (25, tie) and ranks third in fewest penalty yards (211).

• Utah is No. 2 in the Pac-12 (No. 14 nationally) in scoring defense (16.3).

• Utah is No. 3 in the Pac-12 in pass defense (181.0).

• Utah is No. 2 in the Pac-12 in opponent third-down conversion percentage (31.7).

• Utah is No. 3 in the Pac-12 in tackles for loss (7.5).

• Utah is No. 2 in the Pac-12 in fewest passes intercepted (2, tie).

Who can’t be proud or impressed when reading those numbers? Now, if we can just score enough points when we need to score them, we’ll see how defense wins championships.

--Yeats

I saw this at UF.net:

Statchat

• Utah is No. 2 in the nation (No. 1 Pac-12) in first down defense (57).

• Utah is No. 3 in the nation (No. 1 Pac-12) in rushing defense (83.8).

• Utah is No. 5 in the nation (No. 1 Pac-12) in total defense (264.8).

• Utah is No. 5 in the nation (No. 1/T Pac-12) in red zone defense (0.667, 6-of-9).

• Utah is No. 8 in the nation (No. 3 Pac-12) in net punting (42.63).

• Utah is No. 1 in the Pac-12 in pass efficiency defense (100.75).

• Utah leads the Pac-12 in fewest penalties (25, tie) and ranks third in fewest penalty yards (211).

• Utah is No. 2 in the Pac-12 (No. 14 nationally) in scoring defense (16.3).

• Utah is No. 2 in the Pac-12 in opponent third-down conversion percentage (31.7).

• Utah is No. 3 in the Pac-12 in tackles for loss (7.5).

• Utah is No. 2 in the Pac-12 in fewest passes intercepted (2, tie).

Who can’t be proud or impressed when reading those numbers? Now, if we can just score enough points when we need to score them, we’ll see how defense wins championships.
    Reminds me of 2000, when we had an epic defense and an offense that couldn’t lace up their own cleats.

Reminds me of 2000, when we had an epic defense and an offense that couldn’t lace up their own cleats.
    I don't know why, but I'm not fully a believer in the defense yet. I know the stats are there, but being completely shredded in the first half last week has left me a touch skeptical.

I don't know why, but I'm not fully a believer in the defense yet. I know the stats are there, but being completely shredded in the first half last week has left me a touch skeptical.
    I like the D. They are legit. C'mon, Sancho, you are always skeptical of numbers.

Having said that, this defense will always be prone to the big play (or plays, as was the case with Wazzu). Playing little-help man defense the whole game gives you a lot of protection against the run and a lot of freedom to disguise the pass rush in multiple ways, but every now and again it will burn you. That's why I am surprised more teams don't go full Washington State on us. Just throw deep all game; your completion percentage will be in the shitter, but all you have to do is connect on 2 or 3 of those deep balls to make it worth your time. Stanford should do this, but they won't and will just try and stuff the ball down our throats and it will be a close game on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I like the D. They are legit. C'mon, Sancho, you are always skeptical of numbers.

Having said that, this defense will always be prone to the big play (or plays, as was the case with Wazzu). Playing little-help man defense the whole game gives you a lot of protection against the run and a lot of freedom to disguise the pass rush in multiple ways, but every now and again it will burn you. That's why I am surprised more teams don't go full Washington State on us. Just throw deep all game; your completion percentage will be in the shitter, but all you have to do is connect on 2 or 3 of those deep balls to make it worth your time. Stanford should do this, but they won't and will just try and stuff the ball down our throats and it will be a close game on Saturday.
    You just know Bryce Love will get 110 yards, with 70 of those on one TD run in the 2nd half.

Wazzu might win division if in the south.

they almost beat USC on the road--which even in a down year for USC is not that easy.

And Vegas saw it as a 1 point game, so Utes losing is not that surprising.

Utes have a horrible/tough schedule this year--& it does not get easier until they are done with the north.

I was hoping Utah might hire David Yost, USU's current OC after firing ARod, but I guess he did not coach Freddie Whittingham's son in high school.

I was hoping Utah might hire David Yost, USU's current OC after firing ARod, but I guess he did not coach Freddie Whittingham's son in high school.
    Sigh.

--Yeats

Sigh.
    Are you guys looking for an OC that can help us finally defeat BYU?

Are you guys looking for an OC that can help us finally defeat BYU?
    No, just an OC hire that isn’t a head-scratcher.

--Yeats

While USU’s scoring stats are good....their offensive stats when opponent is take into account just aren’t much different than Utah’s.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    While USU’s scoring stats are good....their offensive stats when opponent is take into account just aren’t much different than Utah’s.
    Yeah, if you want USU's offense, either you really didn't watch yesterday's game or you just really like sub 200 yard passing. Or sub 6 yards per attempt.

I mean USU is good this year, I'm not raining on their parade. But I can just imagine the bellyaching if Whit hired USU's OC. It would look a lot like the current U fan bellyaching.

Yeah, if you want USU's offense, either you really didn't watch yesterday's game or you just really like sub 200 yard passing. Or sub 6 yards per attempt.

I mean USU is good this year, I'm not raining on their parade. But I can just imagine the bellyaching if Whit hired USU's OC. It would look a lot like the current U fan bellyaching.
    Nope. Don’t want USU’s offense. My “sigh” was just about the way Kyle hires assistants, particularly 0Cs. It’s just a style thing that is getting old for me. Yes, I am in curmudgeon mode.

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-06-2018 at 03:17 PM.

--Yeats