Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, if you want USU's offense, either you really didn't watch yesterday's game or you just really like sub 200 yard passing. Or sub 6 yards per attempt.

I mean USU is good this year, I'm not raining on their parade. But I can just imagine the bellyaching if Whit hired USU's OC. It would look a lot like the current U fan bellyaching.
    I really could care less about passing yards and ypc. What impressed me was their execution.

ESPN's computers love what Utah just did. We moved up from 40-something to #23. We are now favored to win the rest of our games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2018

New season odds:

3-9, 0.01%
    4-8, 0.22%
    5-7, 1.94%
    6-6, 8.75%
    7-5, 22.47%
    8-4, 32.90%
    9-3, 25.55%
    10-2, 8.14%

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are now favored to win the rest of our games.
    That would make the word “awesome” 100% inadequate to describe such an outcome.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

ESPN's computers love what Utah just did. We moved up from 40-something to #23. We are now favored to win the rest of our games.

New season odds:

3-9, 0.01%
    4-8, 0.22%
    5-7, 1.94%
    6-6, 8.75%
    7-5, 22.47%
    8-4, 32.90%
    9-3, 25.55%
    10-2, 8.14%
    I'm not sure I but what that computer is smoking: Arizona State (@ home) as our toughest game? Nearly 70% chance of beating USC?

I guess I'm showing my Ute in that I do not think a bowl game is a guarantee at this point. Arizona and BYU are probable wins, so should UCLA at the Rose Bowl (I can't believe I just typed that), but all of those are lose-able games against very legitimate opponents or BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm not sure I but what that computer is smoking: Arizona State (@ home) as our toughest game? Nearly 70% chance of beating USC?
    I'm with you. I tracked these percentages last year, and I felt like they were mostly in the ballpark. But 60+% chance of beating Oregon and CU?

Margin of victory matters, and our win over Stanford looks like gold to a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That would make the word “awesome” 100% inadequate to describe such an outcome.
    Awesome with a capital A, but remember that beign favored in each game is not the same as a prediction of winning out. Even ESPN's generous computers put us at just 8% chance of winning out.

Awesome with a capital A, but remember that beign favored in each game is not the same as a prediction of winning out. Even ESPN's generous computers put us at just 8% chance of winning out.
    I'm still hopeful. Last Saturday night they played the way the way they are capable of playing. Nothing flukey about it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm with you. I tracked these percentages last year, and I felt like they were mostly in the ballpark. But 60+% chance of beating Oregon and CU?

Margin of victory matters, and our win over Stanford looks like gold to a computer.
    We're just following the pattern set by Notre Dame.

Our game against USC has been relegated to the Pac-12 Network. Time TBA. No point yelling about it -- USC fans can carry the water on this one. And I'm sure they will.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Our game against USC has been relegated to the Pac-12 Network. Time TBA. No point yelling about it -- USC fans can carry the water on this one. And I'm sure they will.
    6PM kick (MDT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    6PM kick (MDT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only October game that kicks off before 8pm.

A little football history. 10/06/2018. One week ago today. Utah prepared for a late Stanford game while Ute fans debated whether the Aggies were the best team in the state.

What a difference 7 days can make.

A little football history. 10/06/2018. One week ago today. Utah prepared for a late Stanford game while Ute fans debated whether the Aggies were the best team in the state.

What a difference 7 days can make.
    I’m hoping like crazy that after a week we’re talking about what a difference 14 days can make. There’s lots of reason to believe (or at least hope) this team is gelling.

--Yeats

Computers continue to love Utah.

Up to #17 overall. Right behind Wisconsin and ahead of Texas, Michigan State, and West Virginia.

It has us ahead of some 1-loss P5 teams: Texas, WVU, Duke, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington State, and Colorado (at #50, the lowest ranked 1-loss team).

New cumulative odds:

4-8, 0.03%
    5-7, 0.59%
    6-6, 4.36%
    7-5, 16.16%
    8-4, 32.21%
    9-3, 33.00%
    10-2, 13.64%

That gives us a less than 1% chance of not being bowl eligible. I hope the rest of the season is as good to us as these computers.

That's greater than a 13.64% chance of winning the south.

By the way, Sagarin's four algorithms all place us between #14 and #20. S&P has us at #26.

Computers continue to love Utah.

Up to #17 overall. Right behind Wisconsin and ahead of Texas, Michigan State, and West Virginia.

It has us ahead of some 1-loss P5 teams: Texas, WVU, Duke, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington State, and Colorado (at #50, the lowest ranked 1-loss team).

New cumulative odds:

4-8, 0.03%
    5-7, 0.59%
    6-6, 4.36%
    7-5, 16.16%
    8-4, 32.21%
    9-3, 33.00%
    10-2, 13.64%

That gives us a less than 1% chance of not being bowl eligible. I hope the rest of the season is as good to us as these computers.

That's greater than a 13.64% chance of winning the south.

By the way, Sagarin's four algorithms all place us between #14 and #20. S&P has us at #26.
    The Standard and Poor index?