Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't want an overcorrection. Huntley can run, and we should use him. We need to find the sweet spot.
    I don’t think this was an over correction. Rather I think he’s playing within the offense for that week. We don’t need Huntley to run in this kind of game. We do need to avoid getting him killed.

Many of Huntley’s runs last year were the result of not running the offense correctly, fixing that is a good thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I'm hearing good things about Enis. Some compared him to Carrington in his ability to get open.
    Our highest rated recruit ever. It was down to us and Penn State.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    Our highest rated recruit ever. It was down to us and Penn State.
    And he was a PSU legacy. His dad, Curtis Enis, was an All-American at PSU.

The wind was really strong in the first half--Utes were going into it in 2nd quarter. Huntley had to throw fastballs, but they still should have been caught.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    And he was a PSU legacy. His dad, Curtis Enis, was an All-American at PSU.
    And they nearly got him.

I got to sit next to Solomon at a Crimson Club dinner about 2 weeks ago. Very impressive young man. In that setting
    he looked more like a basketball player than a football player. Tall and skinny.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Anyone else notice some of Huntley's longer and mid-range passes? They looked like floaters, and they ended up being jump balls, 50-50 balls, whatever you want to call them. It looked weird to me. Thoughts?
    His longer passes all seemed to be floaters. I suspect he had to throw at least some of them that way because the offensive line was not giving him enough time to let the receiver get downfield.

I think a big part of his remaining the starter will depend upon his decision-making on the options (I wasn't enamored with his passing.) That was better, although finding out that eight of Moss' runs went for 2 yards or less makes me wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I don’t think this was an over correction. Rather I think he’s playing within the offense for that week. We don’t need Huntley to run in this kind of game. We do need to avoid getting him killed.

Many of Huntley’s runs last year were the result of not running the offense correctly, fixing that is a good thing.

Although I definitely do not want to see Huntley get hurt running the ball, I think those who watched Arizona against BYU saw what happens when you try to coach your fantastic running QB to not run and fail to use his running ability as a significant part of the attack. It is a delicate balance and it will be interesting to see what the coaches do moving forward.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Although I definitely do not want to see Huntley get hurt running the ball, I think those who watched Arizona against BYU saw what happens when you try to coach your fantastic running QB to not run and fail to use his running ability as a significant part of the attack. It is a delicate balance and it will be interesting to see what the coaches do moving forward.
    Man, was that dumb. I figured Tate would suffer with Arizona's coaching downgrade, but to not run him at all? A guy who regularly topped 200 rushing yards last season?

Tate had it coming 100% for not realizing what a gift Coach Niumatalolo would be.

Running QBs have been amazingly effective in college football over the past decade. If you have a QB who can run, you run him. Huntley's not in Tate's class as a runner, but he can still get us some good yards on the ground.

Man, was that dumb. I figured Tate would suffer with Arizona's coaching downgrade, but to not run him at all? A guy who regularly topped 200 rushing yards last season?

Tate had it coming 100% for not realizing what a gift Coach Niumatalolo would be.

Running QBs have been amazingly effective in college football over the past decade. If you have a QB who can run, you run him. Huntley's not in Tate's class as a runner, but he can still get us some good yards on the ground.
    Agreed. If you are trying to make tom Brady out of Tate or Huntley, you'll be disappointed.

I picked this to be the big year for Utah (10-3), but I gotta say - it now looks like an 0-3 start in the conference is likely. UW, @WSU, @Stanford? Gonna be rough.

I picked this to be the big year for Utah (10-3), but I gotta say - it now looks like an 0-3 start in the conference is likely. UW, @WSU, @Stanford? Gonna be rough.
    ESPN's FPI predicts a 7-5 season for us. They set our odds of winning for the next 3 games:

UW - 28.1%
    @WSU - 49.3%
    @Stanford - 18.4%

http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2018

Playing math with ESPN's fake numbers, we have a 30% chance of going 0-3, a 47% chance of going 1-2, a 20% chance of going 2-1, and a 3% chance of going 3-0.

ESPN's FPI predicts a 7-5 season for us. They set our odds of winning for the next 3 games:

UW - 28.1%
    @WSU - 49.3%
    @Stanford - 18.4%

Playing math with ESPN's fake numbers, we have a 30% chance of going 0-3, a 47% chance of going 1-2, a 20% chance of going 2-1, and a 3% chance of going 3-0.
    Well, that's depressing.

UW - 28.1%
    @WSU - 49.3%
    @Stanford - 18.4%

I decided to play around with these numbers some more. With ESPN's odds of winning, Utah's final record odds are:

0.02% chance of finishing 2-10
    0.36% 3-9
    2.43% 4-8
    8.78% 5-7
    19.16% 6-6
    26.54% 7-5
    23.69% 8-4
    13.45% 9-3
    4.63% 10-2
    0.86% 11-1
    0.07% 12-0 ...so you're saying there's a chance?

When will we know the kickoff time for WSU on 9/29? My wife wants to throw a dinner party, and she doesn't want me yelling in the other room instead of conversing with our guests.

When will we know the kickoff time for WSU on 9/29? My wife wants to throw a dinner party, and she doesn't want me yelling in the other room instead of conversing with our guests.
    Probably depends on how well we do this weekend. So Sunday evening or Monday morning, would be my guess.

This game has Pac-12 Network written all over it, what with only four league games that week. It'll be an early kickoff. Tell your wife it's safe for the guests to show up around 5:30 p.m.

Update: ESPN now has us finishing 8-4 instead of 7-5. The south is being downgraded quickly:

New odds, per ESPN:

2-10, 0.03%
    3-9, 0.41%
    4-8, 2.62%
    5-7, 9.30%
    6-6, 20.16%
    7-5, 27.60%
    8-4, 23.75%
    9-3, 12.31%
    10-2, 3.45%
    11-1, 0.39%

These stats ytd are eye-opening. We are going to get Covey killed.

Outside WR’s:

Thompson – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Mariner – 7 rec, 82 yards, 1 TD
    Simpkins – 4 rec, 47 yards, 0 TD
    Boyd – 2 rec, 40 yards, 0 TD
    Enis – 3 rec, 42 yards, 0 TD

Inside WR’s:

Nacua – 10 rec, 69 yards, 0 TD
    Vickers – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Covey – 23 rec, 262 yards, 0 TD
    Perriman – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Dixon – 3 rec, 90 yards, 0 TD
    Fields – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Outside WR’s:
    This is disappointing. Mariner, Simpkins, Boyd, Enis. Someone needs to step up. Or maybe it's Huntley. I don't know.

UteBeliever@UteBeliever 11m11 minutes agoMore

UteBeliever Retweeted ESPN 700
    Between this, Covey and Whit, Taylor has lost the team. 3 votes of no confidence. Particularly troubling is that it's coming from offensive players.

UteBeliever added,
    ESPN 700Verified account @ESPN700
    "I feel like we should run more. We have a mini Marshawn Lynch in the backfield." -Lo Falemaka#Utes

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

These stats ytd are eye-opening. We are going to get Covey killed.

Outside WR’s:

Thompson – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Mariner – 7 rec, 82 yards, 1 TD
    Simpkins – 4 rec, 47 yards, 0 TD
    Boyd – 2 rec, 40 yards, 0 TD
    Enis – 3 rec, 42 yards, 0 TD

Inside WR’s:

Nacua – 10 rec, 69 yards, 0 TD
    Vickers – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Covey – 23 rec, 262 yards, 0 TD
    Perriman – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Dixon – 3 rec, 90 yards, 0 TD
    Fields – 0 rec, 0 yards, 0 TD
    Looks like Covey is the only one who can consistently get open and catch the ball.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Between this, Covey and Whit, Taylor has lost the team. 3 votes of no confidence. Particularly troubling is that it's coming from offensive players.

UteBeliever added,
    "I feel like we should run more. We have a mini Marshawn Lynch in the backfield." -Lo Falemaka#Utes
    I imagine the players were asking themselves why, after driving all the way past midfield on Moss’s back, they’re throwing on 2nd and 2.

--Yeats

Looks like Covey is the only one who can consistently get open and catch the ball.

Doesn’t help when he does that and fumbles though....

This is my new theory, based on nothing other than it is what I think I would do in KW's position. He will give Troy Taylor one more year to develop a competent offense. If we are this bad at the end of next year, KW will retire. He wont want to go thru yet another coordinator and start all over again on offense. It won't be worth it. (At least it wouldn't for me.)

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Doesn’t help when he does that and fumbles though....

Covey has fumbled in every game.

I imagine the players were asking themselves why, after driving all the way past midfield on Moss’s back, they’re throwing on 2nd and 2.
    I think throwing on 2nd or 3rd and short is pretty high percentage for us. The problem is when we get nothing on first and second and then have 3rd and long. We rarely convert those.

UteBeliever added,
    This feels like a bad thing.

This is concerning, since our OC is a qb guru, supposedly

Pac-12 QBR
    1. Garbers, Cal 74.5
    2. Wilkins, ASU 72.4
    3. Herbert, UO 72.2
    4. Montez, CU 69.2
    5. Browning, UW 62.5
    6. Costello, Stan 59
    7. Blount, OSU 55.9
    8. Tate, UA 54.9
    9. Minshew, WSU 54.9
    10. Daniels, USC 53.6
    11. Huntley, Utah 39.8
    12. Thompson-Robinson, UCLA 23

This feels like a bad thing.
    I would say that "lost the team" 3 games into the season is a bit of a stretch, but even Kyle admitted during his press conference today that things need to be simplified.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.