Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

This guy is easy to like.

Last edited by LA Ute; 11-11-2018 at 10:29 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    The math is getting easy now. Just two games left. ESPN has us up to #13, between LSU and A&M.

Based on their odds, here are the percentages:

7-5, 2.6%
    8-4, 28.9%
    9-3, 68.5%

ESPN, by the way, gives Oregon a 62.9% chance of beating ASU next week.
    Vegas opens up with Utah as -7.5 over Colorado and Oregon -4 over Arizona State!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Utah-BYU is set for 8PM on FS1

I don’t know if I have enough layers

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

That's a good start time for viewers in China.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

If Utah wins the South, that's pretty unfair considering UW vs WSU is the day before (the winner gets an extra prep day on a short week)

Scenarios

ASU is @Oregon and @ AZ
    AZ is @Wazzu and ASU

If ASU wins both they win the South
    If AZ wins both and Utah Loses they win the south
    If Utah loses and ASU beats Oregon but Loses to AZ and AZ loses to Wazzu and USC beats UCLA - it goes to Pac12 south records.
    Records against each other (AZ 1-2, Utah 2-1 ASU 2-1, USC 1-2)

ASU wins because AZ and USC are eliminated and ASU beat Utah

Any other 3 way tie that doesnt have ASU Utah wins.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    Scenarios

ASU is @Oregon and @ AZ
    AZ is @Wazzu and ASU

If ASU wins both they win the South
    If AZ wins both and Utah Loses they win the south
    If Utah loses and ASU beats Oregon but Loses to AZ and AZ loses to Wazzu and USC beats UCLA - it goes to Pac12 south records.
    Records against each other (AZ 1-2, Utah 2-1 ASU 2-1, USC 1-2)

ASU wins because AZ and USC are eliminated and ASU beat Utah

Any other 3 way tie that doesnt have ASU Utah wins.
    So basically we hate ASU. Like always.

I got to be on the sideline for a few minutes during the Oregon game. The PAC-12 sideline reporter (I’ve forgotten her name) is a little tiny person. It was funny to see her walking around amid all those huge men.

I also saw Kyle’s mom. She’s quite elderly and was bundled up, but vigorously walking back and forth, behind and among the team. I glanced at her pass, which allows her to go pretty much anywhere in RES.

--Yeats

Pick Six Previews Retweeted Joey Kaufman

USC & UCLA ranked 1st and 2nd in 5-year recruiting rankings in the Pac-12 (79 4/5-star players)Combined record: 7-13

Washington St & Utah ranked 7th & 11th out of 12 (10 4/5-star players)Combined record: 16-4

So two obvious coaching questions:

1. Where does Mike Leach end up? Someone has to take a chance on the guy, right? He's been money at Texas Tech and Washington State, for hellsakes! Give him an SEC has been (Tenn, Mississipi, Mississipi, Mizzou) and he would blow people up.
    2. Does Clay Helton have a job on January 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I think Clay deserves another 2-3 years to right the Trojan ship, don't you?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I think Clay deserves another 2-3 years to right the Trojan ship, don't you?
    Absolutely! I'm all for Helton-On-Wheels for another 2-3. It's not an easy task taking over a program filled with 5-stars that is the perennial favorite to win the division. You need at least 5 years to see results.

1. Where does Mike Leach end up? Someone has to take a chance on the guy, right? He's been money at Texas Tech and Washington State, for hellsakes! Give him an SEC has been (Tenn, Mississipi, Mississipi, Mizzou) and he would blow people up.
    None of those SEC schools are really in the market for a coach. All are in their first year except Barry Odom at Missouri, and he's got the Tigers trending upward.

I love Leach, but also take into consideration his zaniness is a result from being in media markets that generally treat the host HC with kid gloves. If Jeff Brohm leaves Purdue for Louisville, it would make too much sense for the Boilermakers to make a run at him.

Wasn't there a minute during Tennessee's coaching circus last off-season where Leach was (allegedly) about to be hired? I think that would have been fantastic on a number of levels (not the least of which is that Utah can't seem to beat him).

On the other hand, he's an odd guy and he might be someone who is more content to ride things out in a place like Pullman rather than gunning for something "bigger and better".

Quote Originally Posted by UBlender View Post
    Wasn't there a minute during Tennessee's coaching circus last off-season where Leach was (allegedly) about to be hired? I think that would have been fantastic on a number of levels (not the least of which is that Utah can't seem to beat him).

On the other hand, he's an odd guy and he might be someone who is more content to ride things out in a place like Pullman rather than gunning for something "bigger and better".
    Leach is every fanbase’s darling, but every AD’s nightmare. You’re getting it all when you hire Mike, most notably, his willingness to do or say whatever he wants, whenever he wants, and with zero flips as to the consequences.

Another bad loss for Helton, and the Mad Bomber may be coaching the Trojans next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Another bad loss for Helton, and the Mad Bomber may be coaching the Trojans next year.

You keep reading that Jack Del Rio has positioned himself to get the job. If I were Swann, I would hire Wilcox at Cal.

I thought it was Jeff Fisher I kept hearing about? USC should be able to do better. They should be able to poach an established big name. They should never have to settle for something unproven like Helton.
    I really think everyone is being unfair to Helton. I want him to have a fair chance -- another 5 years at least. The conference needs him there at U$C.

--Yeats

Video about Brit Covey. 7 minutes long but really worth watching. If we want blue-chip LDS athletes, this will be helpful.

https://youtu.be/xPHg3Ror8Cc

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I really think everyone is being unfair to Helton. I want him to have a fair chance -- another 5 years at least. The conference needs him there at U$C.
    Laute is the only making sense on this thread. 5 years is the MINIMUM time to turn around uscs program. Anything less would kill recruiting.

Can someone explain the Pac-12 tiebreakers to me? I keep hearing that in a four-way tie scenario (Utah loses to CO, USC beats UCLA) that ASU goes to the championship if they beat Arizona (meaning that they lose to Oregon and Arizona beats WSU), but Utah goes if Arizona wins against the Devils (meaning that Arizona lost to WSU and ASU beat Oregon). Why? Wouldn't Arizona and USC be eliminated because of head to head results (Arizona would have lost to Utah and USC; USC would have lost to ASU and Utah). Then is ASU eliminated because Utah beat Stanford and ASU lost? Seems like an odd tiebreaker, but whatevs.

Can someone explain the Pac-12 tiebreakers to me? I keep hearing that in a four-way tie scenario (Utah loses to CO, USC beats UCLA) that ASU goes to the championship if they beat Arizona (meaning that they lose to Oregon and Arizona beats WSU), but Utah goes if Arizona wins against the Devils (meaning that Arizona lost to WSU and ASU beat Oregon). Why? Wouldn't Arizona and USC be eliminated because of head to head results (Arizona would have lost to Utah and USC; USC would have lost to ASU and Utah). Then is ASU eliminated because Utah beat Stanford and ASU lost? Seems like an odd tiebreaker, but whatevs.
    Tiebreakers with multiple teams
    1. Record Against the Other tied teams - In the 4 team case it would be Utah 2-1 ASU 2-1 Zona 1-2 USC 1-2- AZ&USC eliminated thus it goes Utah vs ASU which they won ASU wins tiebreakerIf

In the 3 team case - AZ Utah and USC - Utah is 2-0 and wins the tiebreaker
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Safe to say we have exceeded expectations this year. And it finally feels that we have depth of talent needed to compete deep into the season. We’ll be going to our best bowl game since the Sugar Bowl. Seems like Holiday bowl is the worst we can do.

Whose going to Santa Clara? We’ll be there.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    See you there!

--Yeats

It's too late now, but I'm expecting some analysis tomorrow on who we are rooting for in the Apple Cup. Win, and it's Rose Bowl for us. Lose, and who would we rather lose to in terms of bowl games?

I think we have a better chance against UW. WSU has been amazing.
    Leach has not been able to solve the Huskies. I think UW will win.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Safe to say we have exceeded expectations this year. And it finally feels that we have depth of talent needed to compete deep into the season. We’ll be going to our best bowl game since the Sugar Bowl. Seems like Holiday bowl is the worst we can do.

I’ll be at

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    Leach has not been able to solve the Huskies. I think UW will win.
    Washington seems weaker this year, and WSU stronger. I would rather play the Huskies, but I think WSU wins the Apple Cup this year.

I would give us a 60% chance to beat the Huskies, and a 40% chance to beat WSU.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Utes win the south! UTES WIN THE SOUTH!
    Not only that but we are OUTRIGHT champs. I look forward to all the articles about the teams that have never won the south outright.