Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

A 62 yard field goal from Matt Gay in the scrimmage on Saturday. Not too shabby.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Also, Bernard has officially joined the team.

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Also, Bernard has officially joined the team.
    Damn. Now what are we going to hand-wring about?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Damn. Now what are we going to hand-wring about?
    QB1...it will always be QB1.

Josh FurlongVerified account @JFurKSL 5m5 minutes agoMore

Whittingham said Matt Gay hit a 62-yard field goal during the scrimmage, and added that he hit two more today. Troy Taylor added that his kick on Saturday easily could have gone for 70.

it's going to be unbelievable when we line up to kick field goals on the other side of midfield

Video

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    QB1...it will always be QB1.
    LOL. I know right?! I can't believe that Huntley still hasn't been able to distance himself from Tuttle!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    LOL. I know right?! I can't believe that Huntley still hasn't been able to distance himself from Tuttle!
    Or Shelley!!! Shelley?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Video

#allgayallday
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Wow. ESPN gives the South no respect. They rank the South ninth out of nine divisions reviewed. They don’t even mention Utah.

PAC-12 South
    Teams: Arizona State, Arizona, Colorado, UCLA, USC, Utah
    Average FPI: 6.1

Talk about uncertainty in a division! There is a whole mess of it in the Pac-12 South, with USC as the lone team in the division in the preseason power rankings. Add in that Arizona, Arizona State and UCLA are all dealing with new head coaches and you can see why this division comes in last. The Trojans were the only team in the division to finish with more than seven wins in 2017, and it seems as though it's going to take some time to get those numbers up. Chip Kelly is looking for a new quarterback at UCLA after Josh Rosen's departure and could start true freshman Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Kevin Sumlin and Herm Edwards have their quarterbacks at Arizona and Arizona State, respectively, but both have a lot of work to do with the rosters outside of that position. If USC can find its quarterback after Sam Darnold's departure for the NFL, the Trojans should be in great shape, but the rest of the division has too many questions going forward.
    http://www.espn.com/college-football...-12-hotline-nl
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-14-2018 at 12:27 PM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Shameful to see what little homework gets done by "the" national sports outlet. Oh well, it's on Utah to make them look like morons.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Wow. ESPN gives the South no respect. They rank the South ninth out of nine divisions reviewed. They don’t even mention Utah.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-12-hotline-nl
    Guessing there’s some payback for the Pac-12 ignoring ESPN’s little shindig this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Gay and Mitch Wishnowsky were selected by CBS Sports as Pre-Season All Americans today.

Francis Bernard already making his presence felt among the quarterbacks. I have to admit, pictures from yesterday and today show he’s in a lot better shape than what I was afraid of after seeing him last week in a frumpy sweatshirt.

I am not afraid to admit that makes me a little giddy. T-minus two weeks.

Oh good lord. Zach's custom avatar builder goes to 200.

zach-moss.jpg

Oh good lord. Zach's custom avatar builder goes to 200.

zach-moss.jpg
    Damn! Those are Earl Campbell thighs.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

My wife and I went to Fan Fest last night. It was the first time I had ever gone. It was a lot of fun and the atmosphere was great. We ran into Ma’ake right off the bat, and it was great to see him. (Although he and exchange opposing views on politics, we are buds.) He said the attendance was the most he had ever seen. The band was playing in the end zone all night and the enthusiasm of those kids was infectious. They were clearly having a lot of fun.

The longest autograph lines were for Tyler Huntley and Chase Hanson. Chase’s was the longest by far:

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Fan Fest was a blast. Glad you got to go. I had my 3 kids (ages 7 to 2.5 months) . it was fun to see the two older ones light up as the athletes talked to them. One of the Womens hoops players asked them their names and then wrote a quick message on their posters.

Nice story on Wishnowsky, from Yahoo Sports and SI.

Mitch Wishnowsky and Utah Are Setting the Pace in a New Phase of the Australian Punter Pipeline

https://sports.yahoo.com/mitch-wishnowsky-utah-setting-pace-164441314.html?utm_source=listrak&utm_medium=email &utm_term=https%3a%2f%2fsports.yahoo.com%2fmitc h-wishnowsky-utah-setting-pace-164441314.html&utm_campaign=bang-mult-nl-pac-12-hotline-nl

--Yeats

AP Poll is out: https://collegefootball.ap.org/poll

Utes come in at 28

Season opponents:

6 Washington
    14 Stanford
    15 USC
    24 Oregon
    Last edited by DrumNFeather; 08-20-2018 at 10:19 AM.

"Couple of notable teams that did not make the poll:

In the BCS/CFP era, Utah has had 5 seasons when it started unranked but finished ranked and ZERO seasons when it started ranked/finished unranked. No other team has that ratio."

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    "Couple of notable teams that did not make the poll:

In the BCS/CFP era, Utah has had 5 seasons when it started unranked but finished ranked and ZERO seasons when it started ranked/finished unranked. No other team has that ratio."
    It's weird. I'm not sure what it will take for Utah to get some measure of respect nationally. I understood it in the MWC, but you'd think by now it would make less and less sense to keep us out of a pre-season T25.

Quote Originally Posted by FountainOfUte View Post
    It's weird. I'm not sure what it will take for Utah to get some measure of respect nationally. I understood it in the MWC, but you'd think by now it would make less and less sense to keep us out of a pre-season T25.
    To paraphrase Majerus: Move SLC closer to LA.

To paraphrase Majerus: Move SLC closer to LA.
    Here are the immutable USA population facts:

Eastern Standard Time Zone: 150.2 million (47.1%)
    Central Standard Time Zone: 92.3 million (29.0%)
    Mountain Standard Time Zone: 21.3 million (6.7%)
    Pacific Standard Time Zone: 53.0 million (16.6%)

This is one reason why I am proud of what Utah accomplishes. Among other things, money and attention flow to the places where the most eyeballs live. It’s amazing we do as well as we do. It’s also probably the main reason why joining the PAC-12 was the most important event in the history of University of Utah sports, not to mention of the University itself; and one of the more important events in the history of the State of Utah as well.

https://www.quora.com/What-percentag...s-respectively
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-22-2018 at 07:12 AM.

--Yeats

Here are the immutable USA population facts:

Eastern Standard Time Zone: 150.2 million (47.1%)
    Central Standard Time Zone: 92.3 million (29.0%)
    Mountain Standard Time Zone: 21.3 million (6.7%)
    Pacific Standard Time Zone: 53.0 million (16.6%)

This is one reason why I am proud of what Utah accomplishes. Among other things, money and attention flow to the places where the most eyeballs live. It’s amazing we do as well as we do.
    Thank you Kyle W!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Thank you Kyle W!
    And Ron McBride, and Urban Meyer, and Rick Majerus, and Jerry Pimm, and a host of others. I would also mention Chris Hill, but I don’t want to send SeattleUte into tachycardia.

I will not mention Greg Hughes.

--Yeats

And Ron McBride, and Urban Meyer, and Rick Majerus, and Jerry Pimm, and a host of others. I would also mention Chris Hill, but I don’t want to send SeattleUte into tachycardia.

I will not mention Greg Hughes.
    Sure, they are all great. Although we are talking about sustained competitiveness with limited resources. The only other one on your list that merits praise for doing that is Fat Rick; as Fat Rick is the greatest basketball coach of all-time at Utah, so too is Kyle W the best football coach of all-time. And it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Sure, they are all great. Although we are talking about sustained competitiveness with limited resources. The only other one on your list that merits praise for doing that is Fat Rick; as Fat Rick is the greatest basketball coach of all-time at Utah, so too is Kyle W the best football coach of all-time. And it's not even close.
    No argument on any of that. I just don’t think any one person got Utah in.

--Yeats

No argument on any of that. I just don’t think any one person got Utah in.
    You also have to give Pershing (and others in the Admin bldg) a lot of credit. Getting our academic standing looking better contributed.