Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Yeah, if you want USU's offense, either you really didn't watch yesterday's game or you just really like sub 200 yard passing. Or sub 6 yards per attempt.

I mean USU is good this year, I'm not raining on their parade. But I can just imagine the bellyaching if Whit hired USU's OC. It would look a lot like the current U fan bellyaching.
    I really could care less about passing yards and ypc. What impressed me was their execution.

ESPN's computers love what Utah just did. We moved up from 40-something to #23. We are now favored to win the rest of our games.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...=254&year=2018

New season odds:

3-9, 0.01%
    4-8, 0.22%
    5-7, 1.94%
    6-6, 8.75%
    7-5, 22.47%
    8-4, 32.90%
    9-3, 25.55%
    10-2, 8.14%

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    We are now favored to win the rest of our games.
    That would make the word “awesome” 100% inadequate to describe such an outcome.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

ESPN's computers love what Utah just did. We moved up from 40-something to #23. We are now favored to win the rest of our games.

New season odds:

3-9, 0.01%
    4-8, 0.22%
    5-7, 1.94%
    6-6, 8.75%
    7-5, 22.47%
    8-4, 32.90%
    9-3, 25.55%
    10-2, 8.14%
    I'm not sure I but what that computer is smoking: Arizona State (@ home) as our toughest game? Nearly 70% chance of beating USC?

I guess I'm showing my Ute in that I do not think a bowl game is a guarantee at this point. Arizona and BYU are probable wins, so should UCLA at the Rose Bowl (I can't believe I just typed that), but all of those are lose-able games against very legitimate opponents or BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    I'm not sure I but what that computer is smoking: Arizona State (@ home) as our toughest game? Nearly 70% chance of beating USC?
    I'm with you. I tracked these percentages last year, and I felt like they were mostly in the ballpark. But 60+% chance of beating Oregon and CU?

Margin of victory matters, and our win over Stanford looks like gold to a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    That would make the word “awesome” 100% inadequate to describe such an outcome.
    Awesome with a capital A, but remember that beign favored in each game is not the same as a prediction of winning out. Even ESPN's generous computers put us at just 8% chance of winning out.

Awesome with a capital A, but remember that beign favored in each game is not the same as a prediction of winning out. Even ESPN's generous computers put us at just 8% chance of winning out.
    I'm still hopeful. Last Saturday night they played the way the way they are capable of playing. Nothing flukey about it.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm with you. I tracked these percentages last year, and I felt like they were mostly in the ballpark. But 60+% chance of beating Oregon and CU?

Margin of victory matters, and our win over Stanford looks like gold to a computer.
    We're just following the pattern set by Notre Dame.

Our game against USC has been relegated to the Pac-12 Network. Time TBA. No point yelling about it -- USC fans can carry the water on this one. And I'm sure they will.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Our game against USC has been relegated to the Pac-12 Network. Time TBA. No point yelling about it -- USC fans can carry the water on this one. And I'm sure they will.
    6PM kick (MDT)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    6PM kick (MDT)

The only October game that kicks off before 8pm.

A little football history. 10/06/2018. One week ago today. Utah prepared for a late Stanford game while Ute fans debated whether the Aggies were the best team in the state.

What a difference 7 days can make.

A little football history. 10/06/2018. One week ago today. Utah prepared for a late Stanford game while Ute fans debated whether the Aggies were the best team in the state.

What a difference 7 days can make.
    I’m hoping like crazy that after a week we’re talking about what a difference 14 days can make. There’s lots of reason to believe (or at least hope) this team is gelling.

--Yeats

Computers continue to love Utah.

Up to #17 overall. Right behind Wisconsin and ahead of Texas, Michigan State, and West Virginia.

It has us ahead of some 1-loss P5 teams: Texas, WVU, Duke, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington State, and Colorado (at #50, the lowest ranked 1-loss team).

New cumulative odds:

4-8, 0.03%
    5-7, 0.59%
    6-6, 4.36%
    7-5, 16.16%
    8-4, 32.21%
    9-3, 33.00%
    10-2, 13.64%

That gives us a less than 1% chance of not being bowl eligible. I hope the rest of the season is as good to us as these computers.

That's greater than a 13.64% chance of winning the south.

By the way, Sagarin's four algorithms all place us between #14 and #20. S&P has us at #26.

Computers continue to love Utah.

Up to #17 overall. Right behind Wisconsin and ahead of Texas, Michigan State, and West Virginia.

It has us ahead of some 1-loss P5 teams: Texas, WVU, Duke, Kentucky, Oregon, Washington State, and Colorado (at #50, the lowest ranked 1-loss team).

New cumulative odds:

4-8, 0.03%
    5-7, 0.59%
    6-6, 4.36%
    7-5, 16.16%
    8-4, 32.21%
    9-3, 33.00%
    10-2, 13.64%

That gives us a less than 1% chance of not being bowl eligible. I hope the rest of the season is as good to us as these computers.

That's greater than a 13.64% chance of winning the south.

By the way, Sagarin's four algorithms all place us between #14 and #20. S&P has us at #26.
    The Standard and Poor index?

Of all the games left, I think ASU makes me the most nervous. We just don’t play well against them for some reason.

At least we have Oregon at home.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Of all the games left, I think ASU makes me the most nervous. We just don’t play well against them for some reason.

At least we have Oregon at home.

It's hard to feel great about any of them. I think UCLA will be the easiest of the four, but they have a ton of talent. ASU has had our number in previous years, but the presence of Herm Edwards calms my nerves somewhat. Oregon has looked really good this year (I didn't watch last night) and Herbert is legit; I'm surprised we are favored by the computers in that one. And then Colorado, who for my money has been our biggest trouble since we joined the Pac.

But it makes for a crazy ride!

Utah sweeps the Pac-12 Player of the Week awards.

OFFENSIVE: Tyler Huntley, Jr., QB, Utah (Dania, Fla.)
    • Huntley completed 22 of 29 pass attempts (.759) for a career-high-tying 341 yards and four touchdowns in Utah's 41-28 win over USC.
    • Also rushed for 33 rushing yards and a touchdown in amassing 374 yards of total offense.
    • Huntley's 46-yard touchdown pass to Britain Covey on third down and five in the first quarter sparked a run of 34 unanswered points by Utah.
    • Huntley's scoring drives averaged 82 yards per drive.
    • He has thrown for 200-plus yards in back-to-back games with his 300-plus yards against USC the fourth 300-yard game of his career.

DEFENSIVE: Chase Hansen, Sr., LB, Utah (Highland, Utah)
    • Hansen led Utah with 11 tackles (3.0 TFL) and his second interception of the season in Utah's 41-28 win over USC.
    • Hansen was integral in holding USC to just 3-of-14 on third down conversions, including 0-10 through the first three quarters.
    • His interception came in the first quarter on the USC 20, eventually setting up the field goal that closed USC's lead to four (14-10).
    • 10 of his 11 tackles stopped USC from a first down.
    • With his 3.0 tackles for loss against USC, he has 14.0 on the season, ranking second in the Pac-12 and fourth in the nation.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Matt Gay, Sr., PK, Utah (Orem, Utah)
    • Gay was 2-for-2 on field goals and 5-for-5 on PATs against USC. He had seven kickoffs for 459 yards (65.6 average) with five touchbacks.
    • His 33-yard field goal to open the second quarter cut USC's lead to 14-10, then added a 30-yard field goal as time expired in the second quarter, giving Utah a 20-14 lead.
    • He leads the Pac-12 in scoring by a kicker per game (8.0) and field goals per game (1.43).
    • He is a perfect 6-for-6 in the 30-39-yard range this season.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Utah sweeps the Pac-12 Player of the Week awards.

OFFENSIVE: Tyler Huntley, Jr., QB, Utah (Dania, Fla.)
    • Huntley completed 22 of 29 pass attempts (.759) for a career-high-tying 341 yards and four touchdowns in Utah's 41-28 win over USC.
    • Also rushed for 33 rushing yards and a touchdown in amassing 374 yards of total offense.
    • Huntley's 46-yard touchdown pass to Britain Covey on third down and five in the first quarter sparked a run of 34 unanswered points by Utah.
    • Huntley's scoring drives averaged 82 yards per drive.
    • He has thrown for 200-plus yards in back-to-back games with his 300-plus yards against USC the fourth 300-yard game of his career.

DEFENSIVE: Chase Hansen, Sr., LB, Utah (Highland, Utah)
    • Hansen led Utah with 11 tackles (3.0 TFL) and his second interception of the season in Utah's 41-28 win over USC.
    • Hansen was integral in holding USC to just 3-of-14 on third down conversions, including 0-10 through the first three quarters.
    • His interception came in the first quarter on the USC 20, eventually setting up the field goal that closed USC's lead to four (14-10).
    • 10 of his 11 tackles stopped USC from a first down.
    • With his 3.0 tackles for loss against USC, he has 14.0 on the season, ranking second in the Pac-12 and fourth in the nation.

SPECIAL TEAMS: Matt Gay, Sr., PK, Utah (Orem, Utah)
    • Gay was 2-for-2 on field goals and 5-for-5 on PATs against USC. He had seven kickoffs for 459 yards (65.6 average) with five touchbacks.
    • His 33-yard field goal to open the second quarter cut USC's lead to 14-10, then added a 30-yard field goal as time expired in the second quarter, giving Utah a 20-14 lead.
    • He leads the Pac-12 in scoring by a kicker per game (8.0) and field goals per game (1.43).
    • He is a perfect 6-for-6 in the 30-39-yard range this season.

--Yeats

Food for thought.

Chase Hansen is like Eric Weddle, but bigger, and stronger, and faster, and quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Chase Hansen is like Eric Weddle, but bigger, and stronger, and faster, and quicker.
    I know you’re trying to show your appreciation for Chase, who is a solid player in his own right. But let’s be clear ... Chase Hansen is nothing like Weddle, who is only the greatest complete football player Utah has ever had. He should never be on the lesser side of a comparison between any other Ute, past present or future.

Always feels good to become bowl eligible. Feels great to do it this early in the season and to have bigger things to play for.

So the standings in the pac 12 south are Utah with 2 losses and everyone else with 3 losses. Here's a look at all of their remaining Pac12 Schedules and projected finish ()

Utah 4-2 (7-2)
    @ASU
    Ore
    @Colo

USC 3-3 (5-4)
    @OSU
    CAL
    @UCLA

Zona 3-3 (5-4)
    Colo
    @Wazzu
    ASU

Colo 2-3 (3-6)
    @Zona
    Wazzu
    Utah
    @Cal

ASU 2-3 (3-6)
    Utah
    UCLA
    @Ore
    @Zona

UCLA 2-3 (2-7)
    @Ore
    @ASU
    USC
    Stan
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    So the standings in the pac 12 south are Utah with 2 losses and everyone else with 3 losses. Here's a look at all of their remaining Pac12 Schedules and projected finish ()

Utah 4-2 (7-2)
    @ASU
    Ore
    @Colo

USC 3-3 (5-4)
    @OSU
    CAL
    @UCLA

Zona 3-3 (5-4)
    Colo
    @Wazzu
    ASU

Colo 2-3 (3-6)
    @Zona
    Wazzu
    Utah
    @Cal

ASU 2-3 (3-6)
    Utah
    UCLA
    @Ore
    @Zona

UCLA 2-3 (2-7)
    @Ore
    @ASU
    USC
    Stan
    USC with a cakewalk. Good thing we have a one game lead on them PLUS the tiebreaker. I think the ASU game is for all of the marbles: win, and we are sitting up two with two to play (assuming that Colorado loses again). If we lose that game it is complete, and utter chaos.

How far to we move up in the polls this week? Every team between us (#23) and #14 lost except for one (Penn State). Do we jump Washington? Texas A&M?

I predict that we are #17 before ASU.

Just saw the Arizona - Oregon score. 44-15, ARIZONA. How on earth did that happen?

--Yeats

The PAC12 is a crazy mess this year. Utes have picked a great time to play their best ball. Fingers crossed that our October success continues in November.

Crazy weekend. The best two teams in each division were the only ones to do what they were expected to.

The good news is that the computers continue to love us.

Utes up to 16.