Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 78910111213 LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

I want wazzu. We should have beat them. We will this time
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Whose going to Santa Clara? We’ll be there.
    So will we.

Even better, I want to be one of the few teams from the South to not get completely shellacked in the CCG. USC is the only South team to win. UCLA lost a close one the second time (they were pasted the first time).

UA, ASU, and CU all got thoroughly embarrassed when they went. IIRC all lost by 2-3+ TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    Even better, I want to be one of the few teams from the South to not get completely shellacked in the CCG. USC is the only South team to win. UCLA lost a close one the second time (they were pasted the first time).

UA, ASU, and CU all got thoroughly embarrassed when they went. IIRC all lost by 2-3+ TDs.
    Sometimes, I’m secretly okay that we lost the Colorado game in 2011. Facing Oregon in the CCG that year would have been embarrassing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John Wilner:

Utah did it the hard way, too, with a backup quarterback in two must-win games and the most difficult schedule in the division. The Utes drew the short straw with the crossover rotation, joining Arizona State in having to play Washington, Stanford and Oregon while …

Arizona missed Washington and Stanford

USC missed Washington and Oregon.

(All the South contenders except ASU had to play Washington State, so the Utes didn’t have a significant disadvantage in that aspect.)
    Utah also had to play Arizona State on the road.

Wilner likes Utah’s chances against either Washington team.

I’ll say it now. The Utes are going to the Rose Bowl.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    John Wilner:

May your prediction be as accurate as your predictions about byu to the big12.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    John Wilner:

We all thought (and were told) that this year‘s team was going to be special, and after a couple of near misses they are showing themselves to be very special, in a different way than expected. I love this team.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    We all thought (and were told) that this year‘s team was going to be special, and after a couple of near misses they are showing themselves to be very special, in a different way than expected. I love this team.
    Yes, indeed.
    This is one my all time favorite teams. I'm hesitant to call this my all time fav, recency bias and all, but they are a very strong candidate.

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I thought this year’s team would be good, but didn’t think we were good enough to overcome our schedule to make it to the championship game this year. I figured 7-5 or 8-4, 2nd place in the south, and the Sun Bowl or Holiday bowl.

I thought next year was our year. I have to think we will be picked to win the south next fall.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

What I love about this team is its collective belief it can win. There are a few players that embody that too. Huntley and Shelley, Moss, Covey, Hansen and Barton. Watching Maxs Tupai explode off the line this last game was unreal. There are many others I am not noting here, but we have a bunch of guys who are attempting to make extraordinary plays every single snap.

I really like this team too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    Sometimes, I’m secretly okay that we lost the Colorado game in 2011. Facing Oregon in the CCG that year would have been embarrassing.

I had the same feeling at the time. It would not have been pretty.

I thought this year’s team would be good, but didn’t think we were good enough to overcome our schedule to make it to the championship game this year. I figured 7-5 or 8-4, 2nd place in the south, and the Sun Bowl or Holiday bowl.

I thought next year was our year. I have to think we will be picked to win the south next fall.
    It all depends on Moss coming back; I think we have to be considered a front-runner with Moss back; I'd expect someone else to be picked if we are developing a new starting RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    It all depends on Moss coming back; I think we have to be considered a front-runner with Moss back; I'd expect someone else to be picked if we are developing a new starting RB.
    We'll have a senior returning in Shyne, who is proving to be more than adequate. And a couple of sophomore backs returning with some good experience from this year.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Moss is a special talent. However, I think Shyne, Green, Brumfield will be just fine.

Matt Gay doesn’t make the finals for the Groza award.

Wyoming’s kicker does....despite only attempting 16 field goals with a long of 51......and 69 points

Stewart Mandel is out with his bowl projections and he has Utah going to..........the sun bowl as the 5th pick from the Pac-12.

Once again, I hate that these bowl games have the ability to pick anyone within a game of the top spot at their selection.

Lets just win these next two and not put it in the hands of those ne'er do wells.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Stewart Mandel is out with his bowl projections and he has Utah going to..........the sun bowl as the 5th pick from the Pac-12.

Once again, I hate that these bowl games have the ability to pick anyone within a game of the top spot at their selection.

Lets just win these next two and not put it in the hands of those ne'er do wells.
    At the very least there should be a rule that if a bowl takes a team with a worse record over a team with a better record the team with the lower record has to be within a game in the standings of the better team, and if a team gets bumped down the pecking order one year then they can't be knocked down at all in either of the next two years.

We'll have a senior returning in Shyne, who is proving to be more than adequate. And a couple of sophomore backs returning with some good experience from this year.
    Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Moss is a special talent. However, I think Shyne, Green, Brumfield will be just fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    My hopes are still in Green with Shyne as a power back. But I don't feel I can trust Shyne in short yardage situations yet. His runs have either gone for 7+ or or nothing.

I wonder if we'll try for a strong JC RB this offseason.
    I'm glad we have Shyne, but he is not anywhere near the back that Moss is. He has zero "slipperiness" -- when defenders are near him they tackle him. His vision is pretty bad; numerous times during the Oregon game he missed what appeared to be obvious cutbacks that would have resulted in 5+ yards. His pass protection is improving but still needs work. And short yardage? I don't think he has ever picked up a third and short or goalline situation. Those are all areas where Moss greatly exceeds him.

On the positive side, he has surprising speed for a back of his size. When he gets a big lane he runs through it for massive yards (Sancho's 7+ or nothing observation).

But he's our guy now.

We also get Run DHC back!

Love the not so subtle mention of the championship game.

WSU placed #13 by the committee, which means no NY6 bowl for them. The Rose will be the only NY6 for the Pac-12 this season. People were picking Utah for the Alamo Bowl, but that might go to WSU now. We could slide.
    From a support standpoint, we are much more likely to have fans attend the Holiday Bowl than the Alamo Bowl. I will definitely attend the Holiday Bowl and not attend the Alamo Bowl.

Watch us end up in Vegas again. The only way off of this treadmill is to win this week and make a great showing in the Rose Bowl, so we can start ahead of the curve next year.

As I understand it, the farthest we could fall would be the Sun Bowl, and that would only be if the Holiday bowl took Oregon. Will they take the Ducks with the possibility that Herbert won't play? That will be the thing to watch.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

From a support standpoint, we are much more likely to have fans attend the Holiday Bowl than the Alamo Bowl. I will definitely attend the Holiday Bowl and not attend the Alamo Bowl.
    same

Rose - definitely
    Holiday - Yes
    Vegas - maybe
    Sun - No
    Alamo - No

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    same

Rose - definitely
    Holiday - Yes
    Vegas - maybe
    Sun - No
    Alamo - No
    Utah getting the Vegas bowl again would, in my mind, be the worst possible outcome for this season. Please no.

I'd like the Alamo as i could go to that
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Everyone I've seen has picked us for the Sun bowl, with Wazzu to the Alamo and Oregon to the Holiday.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Everyone I've seen has picked us for the Sun bowl, with Wazzu to the Alamo and Oregon to the Holiday.
    I've seen Holiday and alamo only

I saw Sun from Wilner and Bonagura.
    Sports illustrated
    San Diego County Credit Union Holiday Bowl, San Diego (7 p.m. ET, FS1)
    Big Ten vs. Pac-12
    Prediction: Iowa vs. Utah