Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Senioritis View Post
    This is what happens when the Spirit of the Zoob possesses a fan of the BYU to analyze the Utes like he would his own Mighty Cougars. But I agree, Utah should look pretty good on the ol' rabbit ears. Hoping to catch some snaps between I Dream of Genie reruns on the UHF.
    Playoff or bust. No more damned excuses man. I'm tired of ya'll pretending to be the bees knees ... it's time for a middling team from the weakest of the so-called power five to step up.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-27-2018 at 01:12 PM.

I looked at the depth chart. It gave me the pee shivers. These guys could be freaking good. Also, lots of youth. And linebackers even AJ can't bitch about.

The biggest pisser is the way the scheduling Gods have deigned that the good guys have an impossible task to win the Southerly regional championship. Swap the crossover games for Southern Cal and the Mighty Utes, and even my overly-cynical father would like the chances of the good guys taking the south this year. It's so odd to look at USC's schedule and see no Oregon or Washington. Makes me feel a little guilty for our boys screwing up the Pac 10 round-robin schedule, but the Mighty Utes are the team paying the price, so screw everybody. Bit of a shame that this 2018 team can't play the 2019 schedule, but, based on my understanding of physics and the laws of Heaven, that's not going to be possible. So we'll just have to wear everybody's asses like hats on the uphill climb.

Utah came into 2018 ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and we're all out of bubblegum. If Huntley stays healthy, my father's optimistic prediction is Utah wins at least 5 games. At least. Light 'em up!
    Impossible!

Depth Chart is out. Page 10 here: https://utahutes.com/services/downlo.../fbweber18.pdf

Notables from Josh Furlong on ksl.com

• The offensive line has two freshmen, Braeden Daniels and Simi Moala, as backups at the two tackle positions. Daniels got a lot of praise throughout camp for his ability to instantly contribute.
    • Left guard continues to be locked up as Nick Ford and Orlando Umana battle for the starting role. Whittingham said the two will likely play in a rotation until someone separates himself as the starter.
    • Britain Covey is back in his starting role as slot receiver. As a result, Demari Simpkins, who started at slot last season, has been shifted outside to the Z receiver spot. The other starters are veterans Siaosi Mariner and Samson Nacua. Behind them is up-and-coming receivers Bryan Thompson, Jaylen Dixon, Jameson Field and Bronson Boyd. Don’t be surprised if freshmen Solomon Enis and Terrell Perriman get some playing time here, too.
    • Redshirt freshman Mika Tafua was named the starter at the right defensive end position, beating out junior Caleb Repp for the top spot.
    • BYU transfer Francis Bernard is now listed as the backup rover linebacker behind Chase Hansen. Bernard quickly acclimated to the defensive schemes and will add some solid depth to the linebacker position.
    • Tre Strong, a walk-on transfer from Montana State, will backup Jaylon Johnson at the left cornerback spot. Strong had a solid fall camp and should be a viable backup.
    • Utah will continue with its long and short snapper positions. Heralded long snapper Maddie Golden will actually start in the short snapper position, with junior transfer Keegan Markgraf filling the long snapper duties.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

I looked at the depth chart. It gave me the pee shivers. These guys could be freaking good. Also, lots of youth. And linebackers even AJ can't bitch about.

The biggest pisser is the way the scheduling Gods have deigned that the good guys have an impossible task to win the Southerly regional championship. Swap the crossover games for Southern Cal and the Mighty Utes, and even my overly-cynical father would like the chances of the good guys taking the south this year. It's so odd to look at USC's schedule and see no Oregon or Washington. Makes me feel a little guilty for our boys screwing up the Pac 10 round-robin schedule, but the Mighty Utes are the team paying the price, so screw everybody. Bit of a shame that this 2018 team can't play the 2019 schedule, but, based on my understanding of physics and the laws of Heaven, that's not going to be possible. So we'll just have to wear everybody's asses like hats on the uphill climb.

Utah came into 2018 ready to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and we're all out of bubblegum. If Huntley stays healthy, my father's optimistic prediction is Utah wins at least 5 games. At least. Light 'em up!
    Yeah, the schedule is a bitch. And I'm not sold on Huntley just yet as having taken that next step. At Utah, it's always about the QB. Huntley is no different. If he's the real deal, the schedule won't matter as much. We can still win 10 games and the South outright.

I've picked us at 6-7 wins for the past few seasons, but I'm feeling it this year. I think we finish 10-3. I'm concerned about the pass rush, but I think the offense will be pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I've picked us at 6-7 wins for the past few seasons, but I'm feeling it this year. I think we finish 10-3. I'm concerned about the pass rush, but I think the offense will be pretty good.
    I get the concern about the pass rush, but more & more offenses are designed to get the ball out much quicker, or are just not conducive to attacking with pressure on the QB from DEs on the outside. USC, Stanford, CU and UW are offenses where that can be effective, but WSU, Arizona, Oregon and where Kelly wants to take UCLA make it far more difficult.

I want to see Mike Tafua - how exactly did he beat out Caleb Repp? We'll see them rotate, we'll get to see, but I think Tafua must have been better at holding the edge, as the Run D is getting more emphasis, as Scalley explained a couple of weeks ago, to negate offenses like Oregon, UCLA, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    • Tre Strong, a walk-on transfer from Montana State, will backup Jaylon Johnson at the left cornerback spot. Strong had a solid fall camp and should be a viable backup.

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    Yeah, the schedule is a bitch. And I'm not sold on Huntley just yet as having taken that next step. At Utah, it's always about the QB. Huntley is no different. If he's the real deal, the schedule won't matter as much. We can still win 10 games and the South outright.
    I see the schedule as an opportunity to show everyone that we are the real deal. (How else can we look at it, anyway? It’s out of Utah’s control. Silver lining and all that.) If we do well we will be glad at season’s end that we had this schedule.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I think Utah will be good, yea even very good. But I think this schedule most certainly dooms us to 2nd-4th place in the south. It is basically handing USC a two-game advantage before the season starts (I know, I know we can beat UW and Ore and USC can lose to Cal and OSU. Just kidding about the OSU part). To expect us to be two games better than USC AND to beat USC is asking too much for just about every team in the nation.
    Last edited by Applejack; 08-28-2018 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Tyrone Smith is dinged up, so that's why he's not listed there. It sounds like he could play, but they're holding him out against Weber so he can get more time to get to 100%.

Also, I think if Jaylon went down for an extended period in a close game you'd see him get replaced with Lewis.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Sound like the typical BYU method. Huge hype and expectations going into the season (BYU always wins February and August), and then as you said, huge disappointment after reality sets in.
    Yep. Every year like clockwork.

The hype starts in February as BYU nabs the Next Big Hype. All through spring ball the discussion starts to revolve around Heisman candidates and national championships. The hype jumps another level in the summer and hits its apex in August during fall camp, as it does for all schools. But it seems like our local media helps feed the BYU narrative due to the numbers they draw.

Then the games are played and like reality's Lucy to BYU's Charlie Brown, things start falling apart. BYU spirals, Utah quietly wins a couple of games they should win.

Then October comes, BYU has all but disappeared, Utah wins a big game (Stanford, USC, Oregon) and all the discussion is shifted to Utah as we show up in the College Football Poll and whether or not this year we can make it through November.

Then BYU goes to Las Vegas and Utah wins a bowl game against a respectable opponent.

Then football disappears for a while as we argue whether or not Larry K is a terrible coach.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yep. Every year like clockwork.

The hype starts in February as BYU nabs the Next Big Hype. All through spring ball the discussion starts to revolve around Heisman candidates and national championships. The hype jumps another level in the summer and hits its apex in August during fall camp, as it does for all schools. But it seems like our local media helps feed the BYU narrative due to the numbers they draw.

Then the games are played and like reality's Lucy to BYU's Charlie Brown, things start falling apart. BYU spirals, Utah quietly wins a couple of games they should win.

Then October comes, BYU has all but disappeared, Utah wins a big game (Stanford, USC, Oregon) and all the discussion is shifted to Utah as we show up in the College Football Poll and whether or not this year we can make it through November.

Then BYU goes to Las Vegas and Utah wins a bowl game against a respectable opponent.

Then football disappears for a while as we argue whether or not Larry K is a terrible coach.
    What in hades are you talking about? BYU is looking at 5 wins at best, and I haven't heard a single member of the media in Utah say otherwise ... good gravy man, get a grip: Utah is poised to finally do something special this year. Whittingham's got the horses on both sides of the ball, the rest of the south is vulnerable, so it's now or maybe never.

Is the shell shock of bi-gone era's still so prevalent, or have you reconciled with the fact Utah is and always will be a middling team in the weakest of so-called power five conferences?

From my perspective, this is the year, if there ever was a year where Utah could make a big splash.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    From my perspective, this is the year, if there ever was a year where Utah could make a big splash.
    Thanks for the offer of free Kool-Aid, but see Applejack’s post and learn from him. He is wise beyond his tender age.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Thanks for the offer of free Kool-Aid, but see Applejack’s post and learn from him. He is wise beyond his tender age.
    You guys are hopeless. You've all but given up, which is really sad. Look, I really hope BYU has a better than expected season that includes beating Utah. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Trying sincerely to be objective, anyone who sleeps on Utah this season is foolish. This is the kind of year and Utah team that is going to be in the PAC 12 championship game. If not, it is a wasted season cementing Utah's place as a middling team in a weak conference.
    Last edited by tooblue; 08-28-2018 at 10:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tooblue View Post
    You guys are hopeless. You've all but given up, which is really sad. Look, I really hope BYU has a better than expected season that includes beating Utah. But I don't think that's going to happen.

Trying sincerely to be objective, anyone who sleeps on the Utah this season is foolish. This is the kind of year and Utah team that is going to be in the PAC 12 championship game. If not, it is a wasted season cementing Utah's place as a middling team in a weak conference.
    High hopes, tempered by realism. It’s how longtime Utes fans roll.

--Yeats

High hopes, tempered by realism. It’s how longtime Utes fans roll.

via GIPHY

I agree with AppleJack's realism but I also think these next two season are critical ones or we may cement ourselves as a middling team (I'll leave it there. I think the Pac-12 is far from a weak conference). Two consecutive years of strong play competing for the south title and winning it one of the years is not too much to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    I agree with AppleJack's realism but I also think these next two season are critical ones or we may cement ourselves as a middling team (I'll leave it there. I think the Pac-12 is far from a weak conference). Two consecutive years of strong play competing for the south title and winning it one of the years is not too much to expect.
    Yes. It's nice to be the tough team that no one wants to play, but we can't get stuck there.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Utebiquitous View Post
    This. We’ll have been in this league nearly a decade after 2019. If you would’ve told me we wouldn’t have won a South title in that time, I would’ve said Kyle was a goner. That he won’t be is almost more damning — he keeps getting chances and he can’t finish the deal.

Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    This. We’ll have been in this league nearly a decade after 2019. If you would’ve told me we wouldn’t have won a South title in that time, I would’ve said Kyle was a goner. That he won’t be is almost more damning — he keeps getting chances and he can’t finish the deal.
    REVISED POST:

One thing that rubs me the wrong way is that criticism of Kyle is so strongly denounced here. I fully acknowledge that he’s by far our most successful long-term coach ever and I hope he stays until he doesn’t want to coach here anymore. He’s also a terrific human being. I admire him greatly.

I don’t like the idea, however, that we can’t get anyone else better, ever, which seems to prevail among many here. There is also a sense here that those who mention any shortcomings in Kyle are unrealistic and uninformed and don’t appreciate how unattractive the Utah job is. I think this reflects a mistaken view of Utah‘s position in the world and its rapidly improving attractiveness.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-29-2018 at 04:49 PM.

--Yeats

(I think I covered everything in those three sentences.)
    Do it without the sarcasm, and you'll be there.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    Do it without the sarcasm, and you'll be there.
    Point well taken.

--Yeats

This is a fantastic video just released by the athletic department. It wouldn't surprise me if they show it on the big screen before every home game this season. Well done, media people.

https://youtu.be/yo4bRJKwLnI

It's been a drama free August for the Utes -- a great thing as far as I am concerned. Am I seeing an attempt to create some drama here, on a thread that has had little discussion of fall camp?
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    It's been a drama free August for the Utes -- a great thing as far as I am concerned. Am I seeing an attempt to create some drama here, on a thread that has had little discussion of fall camp?
    Let the drama begin: Johnny Capra is out for the year.

Game Day:

Here are some highlights of our historic RAY GUY punters to get you pumped up:

Last edited by Applejack; 08-30-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Let the drama begin: Johnny Capra is out for the year.
    What? Where are you seeing this? That is a huge hit to the depth of the offensive line.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    What? Where are you seeing this? That is a huge hit to the depth of the offensive line.
    It's been floating around all week. He wasn't on the depth chart and word leaked out that he was dinged up and probably done for the year. He may end up medically retiring.

I feel good about the O-Line's top 6. I think that if anyone anywhere on the line goes down then Ford and Umana both play full time, as opposed to the guys listed as backups. If a tackle gets hurt, I think Ford moves outside and Umana stays in. If more than that go down we're in big trouble. Toala is OK, but I don't think the coaches want to have to rely on him full time. While he's not our best player, Jackson Barton may be the most indispensable player on this team.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It's been floating around all week. He wasn't on the depth chart and word leaked out that he was dinged up and probably done for the year. He may end up medically retiring.

I feel good about the O-Line's top 6. I think that if anyone anywhere on the line goes down then Ford and Umana both play full time, as opposed to the guys listed as backups. If a tackle gets hurt, I think Ford moves outside and Umana stays in. If more than that go down we're in big trouble. Toala is OK, but I don't think the coaches want to have to rely on him full time. While he's not our best player, Jackson Barton may be the most indispensable player on this team.
    Thanks for the clarification on that and the outlook on the o-line. Just in case, I will start rubbing my “lucky rabbit’s foot” to ward off any future team injuries.