Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Utah Utes 2018 Football Season Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    It's been floating around all week. He wasn't on the depth chart and word leaked out that he was dinged up and probably done for the year. He may end up medically retiring.

I feel good about the O-Line's top 6. I think that if anyone anywhere on the line goes down then Ford and Umana both play full time, as opposed to the guys listed as backups. If a tackle gets hurt, I think Ford moves outside and Umana stays in. If more than that go down we're in big trouble. Toala is OK, but I don't think the coaches want to have to rely on him full time. While he's not our best player, Jackson Barton may be the most indispensable player on this team.
    Yeah, both of the Offensive line and Defensive line are kind of thin on bodies that we can count on.

It's been floating around all week. He wasn't on the depth chart and word leaked out that he was dinged up and probably done for the year. He may end up medically retiring.

I feel good about the O-Line's top 6. I think that if anyone anywhere on the line goes down then Ford and Umana both play full time, as opposed to the guys listed as backups. If a tackle gets hurt, I think Ford moves outside and Umana stays in. If more than that go down we're in big trouble. Toala is OK, but I don't think the coaches want to have to rely on him full time. While he's not our best player, Jackson Barton may be the most indispensable player on this team.
    Yes, Ford slides to tackle if needed

And Capra basically missed all of camp, while I’m sure they were hoping he’d be there, I don’t think he’s been counted on at all really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    This is a fantastic video just released by the athletic department. It wouldn't surprise me if they show it on the big screen before every home game this season. Well done, media people.

https://youtu.be/yo4bRJKwLnI
    Our media game has gone up several levels since joining the PAC-12. It's nice to see.

I’ve just boarded a plane from LA to SLC and the Loyola Marymount women’s volleyball team is on this flight. Those are some very tall young women!

No Ute gear visible yet, but I did over hear one guy say he played LB at the U in 2000.

EDIT: I see a Weber State hat just ahead of me. That’s a first for me in L.A.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 08-30-2018 at 09:41 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I want to see...

more cohesion on the RPOs between the offensive units.

the new faces at WR.

Zach Moss bullying the defense.

one 50 yard FG attempt.

pressure on the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Our media game has gone up several levels since joining the PAC-12. It's nice to see.
    Even without sound, a great package.

Almost pointed out that there was nothing from 2008 TCU, which would've been a major sin, but a rewatch clearly showed Freddie Brown jumping off the turf after his score.

I think the fanbase is grown up enough to appreciate a video that would take a complete 180 -- one that celebrates the worst of Utah football. You'll never see an athletic department do that -- hell, they're so thin-skinned, they don't show their own team's turnovers in a highlight package of a game. Of course, you'd have several BYU finishes. But you'd put in 2007 UNLV, pretty much any close game from the Stobart era, any Boise State game and 2002 Air Force. Just to name a few ...

I want to see Shelley, with the Utes up by 30+ in the 4th, take a knee about 6 inches short of the 50, and then trot out Matt Gay to kick a 68 yarder.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I want to see...

more cohesion on the RPOs between the offensive units.

the new faces at WR.

Zach Moss bullying the defense.

one 50 yard FG attempt.

pressure on the QB.
    I want to see Shelley, with the Utes up by 30+ in the 4th, take a knee about 6 inches short of the 50, and then trot out Matt Gay to kick a 68 yarder.
    You guys really love some field goal action!

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    You guys really love some field goal action!
    Yes, I do. Multiples of 7 are boring. Plus, gotta make a bunch of FG to make the fake FG game winner vs USC completely believable.

I sat by Cole Fotheringham’s parents on the way up from LA. Nice people. I’m sure they enjoyed that TD!

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

I'm excited to see our new and improved wideouts this game.

I'm excited to see our new and improved wideouts this game.
    Ha! Covey looks great, but the rest are back to dropping balls.

Four turnovers is why you open with Weber St instead of playing a P5 opponent on a neutral field.

Shelley has been excited. Put in qb2

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I sat by Cole Fotheringham’s parents on the way up from LA. Nice people. I’m sure they enjoyed that TD!
    They are absolutely fantastic people. One of the best families you could ever meet. His dad was just a few rows behind us at the game.

Disappointed we didn't match Weber's intensity or desire early, but we responded appropriately once down 10-0.

Huntley had some balls that could've been picked off, but weren't. He also was let down several times by his receivers early. He was insistent on handing off more, passing more and running less, so he's clearly maturing. We've got a stable of good TEs and Solomon Enis is gonna press guys in the starting lineup for snaps. We'll miss Raelon Singleton to stretch defenses vertically, but I like where we're headed in the pass game.

Moss is Moss, and he had over 2X many runs as Tyler. Would've been 3X, but when you cover 86 in one run, that takes away your chances to tote the rock.

Defense was great, but Pac-12 teams ain't gonna average 1 yard per play like Weber did. We weren't challenged physically at all. Next week, being on the road and a step up in class will be that unit's first true test.

Of all the FCS openers we've had under Kyle, this is the one that left me with the fewest questions marks.

I liked the heavier and effective use of tight ends that we saw tonight. More than we’ve seen in quite some time.

--Yeats

Anyone else notice some of Huntley's longer and mid-range passes? They looked like floaters, and they ended up being jump balls, 50-50 balls, whatever you want to call them. It looked weird to me. Thoughts?

--Yeats

Anyone else notice some of Huntley's longer and mid-range passes? They looked like floaters, and they ended up being jump balls, 50-50 balls, whatever you want to call them. It looked weird to me. Thoughts?
    Had to watch on TV with the newborn at home (that’s the first season opener I’ve ever missed in 35 years)

The Pac-12 guys were saying he just looked a bit amped up on his early throws. They liked the type of throw he was making, he was just overthrowing most of them. For what it’s worth.

I thought his timing and accuracy were off generally, although it got better in the 2nd half. He was late on some throws, he was wide on some throws, and he both underthrew and overthrew receivers in the end zone (all of which were potential td's). His receivers (esp. mariner) didn't help him out much. A number of catachable balls were not caught.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    I thought his timing and accuracy were off generally, although it got better in the 2nd half. He was late on some throws, he was wide on some throws, and he both underthrew and overthrew receivers in the end zone (all of which were potential td's). His receivers (esp. mariner) didn't help him out much. A number of catachable balls were not caught.
    Yeah, certainly a lot of dropped passes

On the plus side he made much better decisions most of the time. He wasn’t looking to just bolt all the time. He kept his head up and was finding receivers while scrambling and genuinely seemed to run the offense better

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

On the plus side he made much better decisions most of the time. He wasn’t looking to just bolt all the time. He kept his head up and was finding receivers while scrambling and genuinely seemed to run the offense better

Agree 100%. Bodes well for the season. I think I meant Simpkins, not Mariner, didnt help him much.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Agree 100%. Bodes well for the season. I think I meant Simpkins, not Mariner, didnt help him much.
    Yeah, you think someone who glosses himself as much as Simpkins could do better than 2 catches for 13 yards against an FCS team.

The long ball wasn't his strength last season either. It's a sacrifice worth making for all the things he is good at.

He continues to impress with his accuracy on the run. When he's moving, he really hits his targets.

I think the single best play in college football is the "QB evades pressure, runs around for 5 seconds, and either finds an open receiver or runs for 35 yards". That's probably our opponents' most successful play against us over the years. Huntley had one of those last night.

We had 12 players make catches last night.

Marquise Blair and Chase Hansen are dynamite.

Disappointing that we failed to convert on 4th and 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

Listening to Bill Riley today...he counted the drops at 4. Sure felt like a lot more than that, but I'll take him at his word on that one.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    Listening to Bill Riley today...he counted the drops at 4. Sure felt like a lot more than that, but I'll take him at his word on that one.
    That it a ton. Think of dropping four catches against Stanford (or whoever). That is potentially four first downs, and around forty yards average we are giving up because we can't focus on the ball correctly. For as much as I read this offseason about what a new group of receivers our old receivers were, they looked like the old group plus Covey.

I thought in general our O-ffense looked bad. The total yards were ok though, so maybe I just expected too much. I think the line was the biggest disappointment of the night.

The defense looked lights out - but it's Weber State so they should.

I don't think we should ever play FCS teams, but if we do a game like last night (comfortable win, but not too comfortable; no injuries (right?); and Covey runs around like a grainy high school mix tape) is the way to do it.

For as much as I read this offseason about what a new group of receivers our old receivers were, they looked like the old group plus Covey.
    I always thought it was the old group plus Covey. That's not so bad. It would be great to have a Carrington, but we really aren't that school.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I always thought it was the old group plus Covey. That's not so bad. It would be great to have a Carrington, but we really aren't that school.
    I'm hearing good things about Enis. Some compared him to Carrington in his ability to get open.

The things I did not like:
    1. 4 turnovers
    2. Short yardage - we struggled on both 3rd and short and 4th and short.
    3. Drops - too many.
    4. Slow start on O.
    5. Snaps on FG's and punts were poor.

Things I liked:
    1. Use of TE's in pass game.
    2. Enis will be a big play guy at some point.
    3. Mariner quietly had 6 catches.
    4. Huntley did not run the ball very much.
    5. The D was dominant.

Talked with Ganther and Schramm for a few minutes after the game. They said they really got banged up. Probably have 8 or 9 guys who will not be able to play next week. That is one of the big problems playing up. USU will probably get banged up a bit against Michigan State.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    Things I liked:
    4. Huntley did not run the ball very much.
    I don't want an overcorrection. Huntley can run, and we should use him. We need to find the sweet spot.