Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    If you view the airport as a private entity refusing to do business with another private entity (Chick-Fil-A) because they don't agree with them on matters of religious matters, then it becomes more clear.
    I’m not expert on the facts in either case, but in the wedding cake case I think it was the government (the state) that was penalizing the baker for refusing to bake the cake. (For the record, if I were the baker I would have just baked the cake, but I am not him and I believe I need to respect is religious beliefs.) In Chik-fil-A’s case, I think the airport, like most airports, exists as a franchisee or licensee of the city. So there is state action, maybe? No legal analysis here, just kibitzing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I’m not expert on the facts in either case, but in the wedding cake case I think it was the government (the state) that was penalizing the baker for refusing to bake the cake. (For the record, if I were the baker I would have just baked the cake, but I am not him and I believe I need to respect is religious beliefs.) In Chik-fil-A’s case, I think the airport, like most airports, exists as a franchisee or licensee of the city. So there is state action, maybe? No legal analysis here, just kibitzing.
    I'm comparing the situation before they went to the state.

People are (rightly) mad that the state intervened, but those same people are probably asking for the state to intervene in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    I'm comparing the situation before they went to the state.

People are (rightly) mad that the state intervened, but those same people are probably asking for the state to intervene in this case.
    This discussion needs a lot more covfefe.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

An interesting blast from the past, when Reagan was still governor of California and Nixon was president. Hard to imagine anything like this today, or really anytime since then.

Last edited by LA Ute; 04-12-2019 at 02:03 PM.

--Yeats

My wife and I recently began volunteering with an organization (http://rapidresponsesd.org) that helps asylum seekers connect with sponsors once the asylum seekers have passed through initial processing at ports of entry where they receive temporary visas, court dates, and identification that allows them to travel within the US. Our organization finds and retrieves seekers from ports of entry and takes them to a shelter where they receive medical screening, food, a change of clothing, bath and a cot to sleep on pending transportation to their sponsors. The sponsors (usually family members) arrange transportation by bus or air to their location and we deliver the asylum seekers to the airport or bus station and help them get on the right plane/bus. We have accompanied several small children to the ER when they present themselves to the medical people with illnesses/conditions that need more than cursory treatment. We typically see mothers w/small children although we also see fathers with small children as well as mother/father families. The people are tired, have endured a long, difficult trip to the border, several days or weeks in Mexico waiting for initial processing, etc. Despite their hardships, they are humble, grateful and generally happy. We receive anywhere from 80-300 people per day. Most stay at the shelter 3 or 4 days waiting for transportation to be arranged. Sometimes, the sponsors cannot be located or do not have means, and the seekers remain longer.

I have learned that the process today is much different than it was during previous administrations. Up until 2014-15, most asylum seekers presented themselves at the border and ICE coordinated their transportation to various agencies (mostly religious) who performed the role we are now performing. Most of the seekers came as families. Beginning in 2014, a number of unaccompanied children began presenting themselves and this created an issue because the sponsoring agencies did not want to take unaccompanied children and be responsible for their care and placement with adult guardians. Accordingly, under Obama, most of the unaccompanied children who presented themselves were placed in government facilities until it could be determined whether they had family they could be placed with inside the US or until they could be returned to family from their country of origin. As you might expect, this process could take days, weeks or months.

The Trump administration continued the Obama admin practice to begin with. Somewhere along the line, they decided that they were not going to work with the sponsoring agencies and after the initial intake, they simply placed a tracking device on the ankle of the adults and let them walk off into the US without any direction or assistance. The sponsoring agencies were not really consulted and did not have a procedure to simply watch for people crossing the border, collect them and help them. After this process was in place for a while, the Administration changed course and decided that they were going to detain all asylum seekers and separate pretty much all children from all adults. This was primarily done in the hope that asylum seekers would hear of the practice and choose not to come to the border. This did not discourage the seekers and resulted in the turmoil we have read about.

When the detention practice ended, the Admin went back to just letting people walk into the country after the initial screening. Our organization of volunteers was prepared to step in and be the middleman between the border and the sponsor.

It is the opinion of many who have been involved with this over the years that the Admin. is purposely attempting to amplify the problem in order to gain politically. They will do this by setting arbitrary numbers that change daily and weekly on the number of people they will screen at the border. They will also do this by holding the seekers until late at night or very early in the morning before releasing them at the border. The only purpose for doing this is to hope that organizations like ours will not have people at the border watching for them to be released.

It appears that the policies of the Admin are geared to do two things. Create fear that the road is too long and dangerous with the hope that potential asylum seekers will not attempt to seek asylum and at the same time create fear among the US population that we are being overrun by hoards of murderers, rapists and animals.

I can honestly say that the people I have interacted with are sweet, humble people looking for a better life. The parents love their children and the children love their parents. You can see this by the way they interact with one another. They are grateful for a piece of stale bread, some pasta and some not-so-fresh fruit. They are orderly in very crazy circumstances.
    I have watched them fold their arms and pray before eating their food. I see them tear up with relief that they are finally somewhere safe, with a cot and blanket and some food. They are grateful for a friendly face and some kind words.

I do not have the answers to any questions regarding the overall immigration issues. It appears to me that there are people who want to come here, work hard and have a better life. It appears to me that there is a need for workers in the farming and construction industries. April 1 was the first day for businesses to apply for HB-1 or H1- B (I can’t remember) visas. Within the first several hours, there were over 100,000 applications. Trump just doubled the number that will be issued from 30,000 to 60,000.

Immigration, health care, education, medicare, medicaid, food stamps, etc. are the issues that are used to divide the electorate. They will continue to do so as both parties benefit by keeping these political balls in the air.

--Yeats

Harsh, and he is right. Would we be dismissive if someone described the Holocaust as "something happened"? And I am pretty sympathetic to people making gaffes in public speaking instances, it is highly stressful and easy to do. However, as Crenshaw said, just simply correct what you said after.

This is from a libertarian website, but I don’t see the piece as ideological. It is a bit alarming and quite informative.

The Real Takeaway of the Mueller Investigation: Washington Is Crawling with Foreign Influencers

https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez...-of-the-world/

--Yeats

Speaking of foreign influencers, I'm finishing up this vacation in Costa Rica, where the imprint of Chinese economic outreach is apparent.

From building the national soccer stadium in San Jose - where the key sponsor is Huawei, the networking giant we're leery of other nations using for next-gen wireless - to upgrading some key highways connecting the Caribbean cost, the Chinese are definitely here in Costa Rica. Apparently they learned from some missteps in SE Asia, so the workers are Costa Rican, the heavy trucks are CNNTN, China's first foray into semi-truck production. The diversity of cars here is impressive, mostly Toyota, Nissan & Hyundai, but there are also Citroen & Peugeot from France, Fiat from Italy, BMWs, Mercedes, and also "Great Wall" cars from China.

I asked a local how they liked the Great Wall car, and they said they liked it, but "it doesn't help the traffic" in San Jose.

To get the Chinese-Costa Rica economic ties going, Costa Rica renounced diplomatic relations with Taiwan, and the new, impressive national stadium was built shortly thereafter. Other central American countries have since established ties with Beijing, except for Nicaragua, where the Chinese are helping to build a newer version of the Panama Canal, anyway.

One naysayer on my flight down was an American who has been living in Costa Rica for 6 years, who specializes in deep-sea fishing for tourists. He said the Chinese net fishing is pretty aggressive, and making it tougher to for him to find fishing for his customers. "But the fish recover quickly, so I think it will be OK".

I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around the scope of this Easter morning atrocity.

Sri Lanka explosions: 137 killed as churches and hotels targeted

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...HsU0Ir2k1yiES4

--Yeats

I’m having a hard time wrapping my mind around the scope of this Easter morning atrocity.

Sri Lanka explosions: 137 killed as churches and hotels targeted

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-...HsU0Ir2k1yiES4
    I've have friends from Sri Lanka, both the indigenous Sinhalese and the other major group, Tamil. The Sri Lankan civil war was waged by the "Tamil Tigers". Sri Lanka is adjacent to the Tamil Nadu state in India, which is primarily Hindu with small amounts of Muslims and Christians.

(Actually, the Apostle Thomas - "Doubting Thomas" - is buried in Chennai (nee Madras), where a large shrine for him exists, and many local Hindus consider him a deity. The St. Thomas Christians, from churches founded by Thomas, are primarily in the SW state Kerala. I thought it was a tiny branch of Christianity, but one of my coworkers pointed out her church, one of seven founded by Thomas, has 46 million members.)

Interestingly, Tamilians in India consider themselves to be the true, authentic Indians and largely refuse to speak Hindi, which gives them an advantage in using English as a common language. The Tamil origin tale speaks of them coming from an island south of India. Sure enough, there's a landbridge between Sri Lanka & India, submerged since the 15h century. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam%27s_Bridge

Sinhalese are overwhelmingly Theravadin Buddhists, the branch of Buddhism that considers Buddha to be God - as opposed to Zen Buddhism - hence the massive golden Buddhas around SE Asian.

It looks like this could have been pent up revenge for the civil war, on the part of Sinhalese extremists, against Sri Lankan Tamilians, in this case striking Christian churches. If they really wanted to hit Christians hard, Kerala has far more Christians (St. Thomas and Catholics) than Tamil Nadu or the Tamilian population of Sri Lanka.

This is an extension of the intra-Sri Lankan conflict, by all accounts.

EDIT: this morning it's looking more like Islamic radicals, with assistance from outside Sri Lanka. An organization loosely translating as the "National Monotheism Organization" is thought to be behind this.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 04-22-2019 at 07:03 AM.

Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

From The Atlantic:

America’s Invisible Pot Addicts

More and more Americans are reporting near-constant cannabis use, as legalization forges ahead.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...n=the-atlantic

Who could have seen this coming?

--Yeats

I watch too many foreign television shows on Netflix and Amazon for my own good. Most are made in countries that are our traditional allies, Australia, New Zealand, UK and Western Europe. I have noticed a trend in the last couple of years that is very interesting. Whenever the US is involved in the story line it is typically as an underhanded, greedy, cannot be trusted, bully who uses its power and influence to manipulate outcomes.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I watch too many foreign television shows on Netflix and Amazon for my own good. Most are made in countries that are our traditional allies, Australia, New Zealand, UK and Western Europe. I have noticed a trend in the last couple of years that is very interesting. Whenever the US is involved in the story line it is typically as an underhanded, greedy, cannot be trusted, bully who uses its power and influence to manipulate outcomes.
    The open admiration of authoritarian leaders gets lost in the news coverage here, but praising people like Kim and Duterte truly horrifies large swaths of the rest of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    The open admiration of authoritarian leaders gets lost in the news coverage here, but praising people like Kim and Duterte truly horrifies large swaths of the rest of the world.
    I'm not surprised if this depiction of the USA has gotten worse with Trump, but if you think it is a new phenomenon I think you are mistaken. The entire film-making world leans sharply left and the USA has been the stock bad guy for a long time. (This has been true even in American movies but that's another story.)

--Yeats

I think a lot of American liberals/progressives would like Denmark‘s safety net, but not much else about its approach to economic policy.

Denmark, socialism, and free markets, part I

https://danieljmitchell.wordpress.co...arkets-part-i/

--Yeats

i think most of us are pretty uneducated about economics in other countries and how they compare to the US. What we are not uneducated about is the vast and growing disparity in this Country between the top 1% and the rest of us. When the CEO of Disney pockets $67 million in a year, it shocks the senses. We know how much it costs a family of 4 to go to Disneyland.
    The masses are growing restless with the current trend that leaves them further and further behind their bosses. They see this divide and they want to change it. Wasn't that the point of MAGA. Unfortunately for the 99%, the political machine, the military machine and the corporate profit machine are all washing one another's back and front. They cannot control their appetites for power and money. Sure, Trump cleaned the swamp. He then proceeded to fill it with critters as corrupt or worse than those he cleaned out. The leaders of today do not measure themselves by the good they do. They measure themselves by the power and wealth they accumulate. No amount is ever too much.
    I certainly have no answers for this. As much as I despise Trump, I have to admit that my lifestyle has not been greatly impacted by him. I have a great life. I will be here another 20 or 25 years. Unless something cataclysmic happens, I will have food and shelter.
    I am optimistic about most of the 99%. There are some terrible people in that group, but the vast majority are good people, trying to make ends meet and willing to lend a hand along the way. Good is done regardless of government, military and corporate greed. It is done one-to-one.

UTEopia, I like your view on things. Despite what LA may say, I think you are fairly neutral on most things. Thanks for posting.

With social security going under water in just a few years, huge government debt burden, those in power concentrating on keeping power instead of fixing problems, that there is some very turbulent times coming to our country. I hope the cream rises to the top and some leaders are willing to make some fundamental changes to how things work, but I am not holding my breath.

Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

As a Jack Kemp-style bleeding heart conservative I would not be unhappy with a Denmark-style approach: Strong safety net. low regulatory burden, pro-business. I would hate the high taxes (so would Kemp) but you can’t have everything.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 04-26-2019 at 10:45 AM.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    i think most of us are pretty uneducated about economics in other countries and how they compare to the US. What we are not uneducated about is the vast and growing disparity in this Country between the top 1% and the rest of us. When the CEO of Disney pockets $67 million in a year, it shocks the senses. We know how much it costs a family of 4 to go to Disneyland.
    The masses are growing restless with the current trend that leaves them further and further behind their bosses. They see this divide and they want to change it. Wasn't that the point of MAGA. Unfortunately for the 99%, the political machine, the military machine and the corporate profit machine are all washing one another's back and front. They cannot control their appetites for power and money. Sure, Trump cleaned the swamp. He then proceeded to fill it with critters as corrupt or worse than those he cleaned out. The leaders of today do not measure themselves by the good they do. They measure themselves by the power and wealth they accumulate. No amount is ever too much.
    I certainly have no answers for this. As much as I despise Trump, I have to admit that my lifestyle has not been greatly impacted by him. I have a great life. I will be here another 20 or 25 years. Unless something cataclysmic happens, I will have food and shelter.
    I am optimistic about most of the 99%. There are some terrible people in that group, but the vast majority are good people, trying to make ends meet and willing to lend a hand along the way. Good is done regardless of government, military and corporate greed. It is done one-to-one.
    I want to take this into college sports too. Why do we have this ridiculous "pay the players!" movement in college sports? It's because of the greed and excess in coaching salaries, AD salaries, and facilities. Among other changes, when I run the show, I'm putting a $250,000 strict salary cap on coaches and ADs. Most of the rest of the money generated by athletic departments must go to parts of the university outside the athletics department (not to bowl reps or NCAA brass). Does that make me a socialist, a communist, or a fascist? I don't know which, but it would be good for college athletics.
    Last edited by sancho; 04-26-2019 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    UTEopia, I like your view on things. Despite what LA may say, I think you are fairly neutral on most things. Thanks for posting.

I think UTEopia is one of our best posters here, and I agree he is pretty neutral, with only an occasional misguided liberal thought. In fact, I think we have a great group here, overall.

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I want to take this into college sports too. Why do we have this ridiculous "pay the players!" movement in college sports? It's because of the greed and excess in coaching salaries, AD salaries, and facilities. Among other changes, when I run the show, I'm putting a $250,000 strict salary cap on coaches and ADs. Most of the rest of the money generated by athletic departments must go to parts of the university outside the athletics department (not to bowl reps or NCAA brass). Does that make me a socialist, a communist, or a fascist? I don't know which, but it would be good for college athletics.
    Having seen up close and personal how much time and energy is expended by college coaches, I would put the cap at $1 mil. I have worked long hours (12 hour days 6/7 days a week) for brief periods of time. I think 5 months was my longest brief period of time getting ready for and participating in a 6 week trial. College coaches do that 48-50 weeks a year depending on when your bowl game is played. The in-season time is actually less demanding than the off-season because you get in a routine. You are onto the next game before most fans have brushed their teeth before going to bed.

I think UTEopia is one of our best posters here, and I agree he is pretty neutral, with only an occasional misguided liberal thought. In fact, I think we have a great group here, overall.
    Us guys from Sugarhood stick together.

I am just yanking your chain as the designated conservative on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I am just yanking your chain as the designated conservative on the board.
    And I am just grateful to be here.

--Yeats

Mike Lee is the new chair of the Joint Economic Committee, which just released a study of "brain drain" effects on different states.
    https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/in...5-48644F31E624

Synopsis - over long periods of time, Americans with higher levels of education have been more likely to migrate to other states. The destinations of their migration have disproportionately been the West Coast and the NE. Areas disproportionately hurt have been the eastern heartland, rust belt and the SE. The western heartland has seen modest benefits of these migrations.

The longitudinal data is impressive - 1940-2017.
    Large urban areas seeing the most dramatic benefits of concentrations of highly educated Americans are LA, San Francisco, New York & Chicago.

(This study will probably spawn a lot of interesting discussions & derivative research.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Mike Lee is the new chair of the Joint Economic Committee, which just released a study of "brain drain" effects on different states.
    https://www.jec.senate.gov/public/in...5-48644F31E624

Synopsis - over long periods of time, Americans with higher levels of education have been more likely to migrate to other states. The destinations of their migration have disproportionately been the West Coast and the NE. Areas disproportionately hurt have been the eastern heartland, rust belt and the SE. The western heartland has seen modest benefits of these migrations.

The longitudinal data is impressive - 1940-2017.
    Large urban areas seeing the most dramatic benefits of concentrations of highly educated Americans are LA, San Francisco, New York & Chicago.

(This study will probably spawn a lot of interesting discussions & derivative research.)
    Interesting you should mention this. Yesterday I was talking to a young man who just completed his first year of college at the U. He brought up that one of his good friends he made this year is moving back to Louisiana to complete his schooling because he was offered a scholarship that is basically paying him to return. He figured he'd end up $27k ahead after three years. But that is Louisiana trying to compete against the brain drain and keep smart people in the stage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A message to LAUte, sent with love:

The French Ambassador's take on Barack Obama's style:

He sees similarities between Macron and Barack Obama. “I think they are hyper-rational and it can be seen as patronizing by a lot of people,” he said. “In a sense, even, they despise passions.” Smiling, he said both men are “too slim” and “too elegant” to relate to the man on the street.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/o...ard-araud.html

LA, your rough-and-tumble, emotional response to the world does not allow you to appreciate Obama's refined, objective nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    A message to LAUte, sent with love:

The French Ambassador's take on Barack Obama's style:

He sees similarities between Macron and Barack Obama. “I think they are hyper-rational and it can be seen as patronizing by a lot of people,” he said. “In a sense, even, they despise passions.” Smiling, he said both men are “too slim” and “too elegant” to relate to the man on the street.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/27/o...ard-araud.html

LA, your rough-and-tumble, emotional response to the world does not allow you to appreciate Obama's refined, objective nature.
    I read that piece and thought the same thing. It was a revelation to me: I’m just too redneck.

--Yeats

I read that piece and thought the same thing. It was a revelation to me: I’m just too redneck.
    Now I get it. LA Ute thinks about Obama the same way the Nixon thought about JFK.