Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Oops.

Facing a $250M Lawsuit, Washington Post Walks Back Its Covington Story

https://pjmedia.com/trending/the-was...vington-story/

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Ram Emanuel comes after Ilhan Omar.

I’ve Faced the Charge of Dual Loyalty

It was anti-Semitic then, and it’s anti-Semitic now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...campaign=share

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Ram Emanuel comes after Ilhan Omar.

I’ve Faced the Charge of Dual Loyalty

It was anti-Semitic then, and it’s anti-Semitic now.

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...campaign=share

This is a pretty important point he is making regarding dual loyalty. I think the reason her comments should be scrutinized and criticized is because, while I'm no historian, the beginnings of nazism was based on portraying Jews as opposed to their government and way of life.

I think any trip down that pathway needs to be hedged against in major ways.

I think right now the Democratic party suffers from a real identity problem as more extremes are being elected. It is pretty disheartening to see both political parties scramble to their fringes instead of coming to the middle which is where most of Americans actually are and what our country really needs.

I'm glad to see many prominent Democrats take a stand against this sort of thing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m bringing this local.

The sham that is the Utah legislature is really bugging me. The fact that one person can send a bill like the heavy beer bill to what is essentially a firing squad is ridiculous.

Then he comes back the next day and puts on his own mocking PowerPoint of the bill.

The lack of diversity in the legislature is a huge problem for the state going forward IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    I’m bringing this local.

The sham that is the Utah legislature is really bugging me. The fact that one person can send a bill like the heavy beer bill to what is essentially a firing squad is ridiculous.

Then he comes back the next day and puts on his own mocking PowerPoint of the bill.

The lack of diversity in the legislature is a huge problem for the state going forward IMO

Speaking as a non-drinker Latter-day Saint who’s lived in California for lo, these many years, I really don’t get the Utah liquor laws.

--Yeats

Speaking as a non-drinker Latter-day Saint who’s lived in California for lo, these many years, I really don’t get the Utah liquor laws.
    It’s amazing how many LDS people I know who don’t. In that caucus meeting today the leader showed a picture of a 6 pack of Corona at a Maverik to prove there’s no reason to change the law.

It’s unfortunate in politics that the far fringe folks have the power. And it’s unfortunate they can’t see how bad their monopoly is

It’s amazing how many LDS people I know who don’t. In that caucus meeting today the leader showed a picture of a 6 pack of Corona at a Maverik to prove there’s no reason to change the law.

It’s unfortunate in politics that the far fringe folks have the power. And it’s unfortunate they can’t see how bad their monopoly is

I think you can make an argument that the taboo/stigma nature that the local culture puts on alcohol actually makes it more alluring. Does the absence of selling wine and other liquor in grocery stores equate to less DUI's or alcohol related issues. Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt that it does.

I don't care about them either, but I do think the laws' detractors make a bigger deal out of it than they need to.

Former U of U law professor and federal judge Paul Cassel, acting as attorney for one of the Epstein sex trafficking victims, accuses Alan Dershowitz of being part of the ring:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffre...afficking-ring

This is a pretty weighty accusation, of course. But it's not the first legal dustup between Dershowitz and Cassel. In 2016, Cassel and a partner settled with Dershowitz in their defamation lawsuit against him. https://abovethelaw.com/2016/04/sett...adley-edwards/

(Based soley on the proximity of the U law school with RES, I'm pulling for Paul Cassel.)

I hope everyone here appreciates satire:

[N]Ilhan Omar Withdraws Support From Bill To Save The Earth After Learning That’s Where Israel Is[/B]

https://babylonbee.com/news/ilhan-om...ign=benshapiro

--Yeats

I hope everyone here appreciates satire:

[N]Ilhan Omar Withdraws Support From Bill To Save The Earth After Learning That’s Where Israel Is[/B]

https://babylonbee.com/news/ilhan-om...ign=benshapiro
    lol - worthy of a chuckle.

The House resolution passed, condemning anti-Semitism, anti-Muslim, racism, etc. Kinda tough to argue with, and a small bit of credit to Omar for not folding, and broaching a topic previously off-limits to discussion. (I sense AIPAC has morphed from being a generically pro-Israel lobby to lining up with Likud & Netanyahu, becoming less of a reflexive obligation for Democrats, especially after Netanyahu snubbed Obama to speak to the House under Boehner). Millennials are less likely to give Israel a free pass on heavy handed tactics on the West Bank & Gaza, and many progressive Jews actually agree with Omar.

Similarly, Chuck Schumer turned around McConnell's call to vote on the Green New Deal - attempt to split Dems on a thorny issue - with calling for a debate on what exactly the Senate should do vis-à-vis climate. (A decent rebound from Diane Feinstein's unflattering interaction with those kids.) Climate is another issue that resonates with Millennials.

Neither does anyone else. The problem of living in a a State that is gaining diversity of population but is still ruled by a majority political system dominated by one Religion. If living in California and Utah has taught me one thing it is that one party States result in extreme measures because they can.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I don't care about them either, but I do think the laws' detractors make a bigger deal out of it than they need to.
    Some of them are stupid. The Zion wall. One of the more ridiculous legislative pieces. Does anyone really believe that people who want a beer are going to not have a beer. Instead of being able to purchase at grocery store and take them home, they will now go to an already overcrowded and overpriced, State controlled (we love democracy except when we don't) liquor store or drink it at a bar and drive home.

Or another Utah law that serves no purpose, allowing someone to buy a 22 ounce bottle of heavy beer at a restaurant or bar, but not allowing that same restaurant to sell a 16 ounce draft version of the same beer.

Why does a beer being in a bottle matter?

If these legislators are really so worried about DUI’s (which have plummeted since the laws were loosened btw) why would you force someone to buy a bigger container?

The GOP member of the house titled his presentation to both the GOP and Democratic causes as “Fear The Beer” today.

Or another Utah law that serves no purpose, allowing someone to buy a 22 ounce bottle of heavy beer at a restaurant or bar, but not allowing that same restaurant to sell a 16 ounce draft version of the same beer.

Why does a beer being in a bottle matter?

If these legislators are really so worried about DUI’s (which have plummeted since the laws were loosened btw) why would you force someone to buy a bigger container?

The GOP member of the house titled his presentation to both the GOP and Democratic causes as “Fear The Beer” today.
    Yeah, I think it's silly and could be easily changed. But, in the end, we are mainly just talking about mild inconvenience.

Yeah, I think it's silly and could be easily changed. But, in the end, we are mainly just talking about mild inconvenience.
    Actually we’re not.

It affects businesses and consumer choice.

There are dozens of beers I can’t get in Utah as they don’t bottle, they only sell draft. Places like The Bayou and Beerhive only have about 30 drafts beers as that’s about all that’s available at 3.2%.

Epic Brewing, a Utah company, has a bigger operation in Denver now as they couldn’t even pour their own product in Utah.

Actually we’re not.

It affects businesses and consumer choice.

There are dozens of beers I can’t get in Utah as they don’t bottle, they only sell draft. Places like The Bayou and Beerhive only have about 30 drafts beers as that’s about all that’s available at 3.2%.

Epic Brewing, a Utah company, has a bigger operation in Denver now as they couldn’t even pour their own product in Utah.
    I guess I have a hard time relating. If I had 30+ options for anything I consume, I would consider that good. There's something nutty about the new beer foodie culture though that I can't understand. Anyway, I'd vote for you on this, but from my perspective it's hardly the big issue that SLC folks make it out to be.

If you read nothing else this weekend, read this.

Our Culture of Contempt

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/o...arization.html

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Former U of U law professor and federal judge Paul Cassel, acting as attorney for one of the Epstein sex trafficking victims, accuses Alan Dershowitz of being part of the ring:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/jeffre...afficking-ring

This is a pretty weighty accusation, of course. But it's not the first legal dustup between Dershowitz and Cassel. In 2016, Cassel and a partner settled with Dershowitz in their defamation lawsuit against him. https://abovethelaw.com/2016/04/sett...adley-edwards/

(Based soley on the proximity of the U law school with RES, I'm pulling for Paul Cassel.)
    I used to play ultimate frisbee with Paul twice a week 20 years ago.

For those who always wondered: Yes. He is left handed.

If you read nothing else this weekend, read this.

Our Culture of Contempt

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/02/o...arization.html
    It's a challenge to move from that essay to the "Life in the Trump Era, Part II" column.
    It's encouraging to see that from the president of the AEI, which I hold in utter contempt.

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    It's encouraging to see that from the president of the AEI, which I hold in utter contempt.
    Why? I’ve always right of them as a mainstream center-right think tank, the conservative version of Brookings.

Arthur Brooks is a conservative thinker I wish more people would listen to. He wrote a great book, IMO, called “The Conservative Heart.”
    Last edited by LA Ute; 03-09-2019 at 03:38 PM.

--Yeats

Why? I’ve always right of them as a mainstream center-right think tank, the conservative version of Brookings.

Arthur Brooks is a conservative thinker I wish more people would listen to. He wrote a great book, IMO, called “The Conservative Heart.”
    I was kidding -- "contempt."

I was kidding -- "contempt."
    Duh. I’m a bit slow on the uptake today.

--Yeats

Trouble in paradise continues:

Minnesota Rep. Ilhan Omar ripped former President Barack Obama in an interview published Friday, belittling his “pretty face” and saying his agenda of hope and change was an illusion.
    She cited the “caging of kids” at the Mexican border and the “droning of countries around the world” on Obama’s watch — and argued that he wasn’t much different from President Trump

“We can’t be only upset with Trump,” the freshman firebrand told Politico Magazine.

“His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar said.

“And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”
    https://nypost.com/2019/03/08/ilhan-...y-with-murder/

--Yeats

And now for something completely different. This is a very high-minded and interesting essay about culture, race, history, the law, and politics in the USA. It was written a long time ago by a law professor who was very involved in the Brown versus Board of Education case.

My World With Louis Armstrong
    By Charles L. Black, Jr.

http://moglen.law.columbia.edu/persp...-armstrong.pdf

--Yeats

Attacking Obama may isolate her so thoroughly with Democrats/liberals that they can more easily distance themselves from her.

Attacking Obama may isolate her so thoroughly with Democrats/liberals that they can more easily distance themselves from her.
    Agreed, and that would be a good thing for the country, I think.

--Yeats

NYC facing financial issues

• The top 1 percent of New York City earners pay some 50 percent of Big Apple income tax revenue.

if only the rich would pay their fair share.
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

I'm so, so, so sorry: A Baby Boomer apologizes on behalf of his generation

https://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/ny-oped-im-so-so-so-sorry-20190301-story.html

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    NYC facing financial issues

• The top 1 percent of New York City earners pay some 50 percent of Big Apple income tax revenue.

if only the rich would pay their fair share.

On a federal level, the top 1% earn 20% of income and pay 37% of income taxes. Top 5% earn 35% and pay 58%. Top 10% ($140k or higher) earn 47% and pay 69%.

Shake the hand of a high earner and thank them for their contributions.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.