Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    What’s the constituency the Democrats are trying to reach with the Equality Act? Martina Navratilova and two others:

Pass the Equality Act, but don’t abandon Title IX

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...879_story.html
    I am probably naive, but I think they are attempting to address actual discrimination affecting a constituent group as opposed to engaging in political game playing to reach a new constituency. I think what we are seeing are the airing of potential unintended consequences of legislation and this illustrates why legislation needs to be open and available for study and debate before it is actually voted on.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I am probably naive, but I think they are attempting to address actual discrimination affecting a constituent group as opposed to engaging in political game playing to reach a new constituency. I think what we are seeing are the airing of potential unintended consequences of legislation and this illustrates why legislation needs to be open and available for study and debate before it is actually voted on.
    I read that every Democrat in the House voted for this. They must know that it will never pass in its current form. That’s why am wondering what they’re really trying to do.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

I read that every Democrat in the House voted for this. They must know that it will never pass in its current form. That’s why am wondering what they’re really trying to do.
    They are playing the game. That's what they do. They will use negative votes against political opponents in the future. That was the purpose of the bill/vote. That's cynical, but it's also backed by thousands of years of evidence.

In this case, female voters will be a huge part of 2020. This allows democrats to say "he opposed equal pay for women" or whatever. Isn't that the purpose of all bills and votes?
    Last edited by sancho; 05-21-2019 at 11:54 AM.

They may just be advocating on behalf of an existing constituent group. They could be trying to get the discussion started because they know the Senate will not pass it in its current form. They may be trying to put the screws to the GOP. They could be doing all of these things at the same time.

I guess I need to put my GOT learning to use and start asking the question of who is really benefiting from this and how are they benefiting? I have tried to avoid cynicism as a knee jerk response to everything, but I guess we have arrived at the point where nothing is ever done simply because it is the right thing to do. Someone has to win and someone has to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Hi J.D... I mean, LA....

AOC and Sanders are in the Scandinavian mold, and need to educate the electorate on what that means, which is a 21st century reincarnation of Teddy Roosevelt's "Square Deal", which helped save US capitalism from something far worse, as was happening in Russia.
    Well, young feller, I don’t know about that! The Scandinavian model centers on a robust capitalism with a very generous safety net. I hear Sanders and AOC talking only about the latter, and I see no evidence that they care a bit about the former.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

We think we're polarized as a nation now, but things have been worse. On yesterday's date 163 years ago, this happened:

Caning of Charles Sumner

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cani...Charles_Sumner

I first read about this on high school and it still shocks me to this day.

(Note: I'm not drawing any parallels to any person now living or any current situation. Please resist the temptation to do so.)

--Yeats

We think we're polarized as a nation now, but things have been worse. On yesterday's date 163 years ago, this happened:

Caning of Charles Sumner

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cani...Charles_Sumner

I first read about this on high school and it still shocks me to this day.

(Note: I'm not drawing any parallels to any person now living or any current situation. Please resist the temptation to do so.)
    Actually, a link on that page sent me to this page about "Bleeding Kanses": https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas

There do seem to be a lot parallels about what happened then and what is happening now.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Actually, a link on that page sent me to this page about "Bleeding Kanses": https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleeding_Kansas

There do seem to be a lot parallels about what happened then and what is happening now.
    Maybe we can actually learn from the past and not let things get that bad again.

--Yeats

Maybe we can actually learn from the past and not let things get that bad again.
    One would hope we've moved beyond needing more shipments of Beecher's Bibles.