Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    The statement that started this little discussion was some stupid idea by Tlaib that Arabs helped Jews establish their homeland. At least after 1947, that was definitely not true. Prior to 1947, the Jews in Palestine and in other areas throughout the Middle East enjoyed mostly peaceful living conditions in Arab Countries.
    This changed dramatically when the UN partitioned Palestine into two States - a Jewish State and an Arab State. Very few Jews lived in the areas which became the Palestinian State, but Arabs were a majority in the Jewish State. A consequence of that partitioning was the 1948 war. The result of the war was that many Arabs were removed from their homes and places of business and forced to leave the Jewish State. In 1967, the Egyptian President close the Straits of Tiran to Israeli flagged vessels and entered into a mutual defense pact with Jordan. Days later, Israel began launching missiles at Jordan. This war resulted in the occupation of much of the Palestinian State. So, while you might think that only one involves the dissolution of an existing nation, I totally disagree.

I am certainly opposed to genocide of any group of people or to discrimination against any group of people. I do, however, believe that the anti-Semitism card is played far too often and with respect to things that relate to political practices. For example, I am opposed to Israel's establishment of settlements in the occupied territories in violation of UN agreements. Does that position make me anti-Semitic? Can someone voice that opinion and not be called out as being an anti-Semite in some circles? AOC was accused of being anti-Semitic by suggesting that some Congressional leaders pro-Israel votes are bought by contributions of pro-Israel groups. She is probably correct, just as I believe votes on health care, guns, the environment, etc are bought by groups that support those causes.

"My Promised Land" by Ari Shavat is a very interesting book on the history of Palestine from the mid-1800's through more recent times. I think it takes a fairly balanced approach to various events that have occurred over time and how those events have taken us to where we are today.
    Relevant to this issue, today's NYT podcast "The Daily" featured a lengthy interview with Rashida Tlaib. (Free on Spotify & I'm sure other audio services.) It's definitely worth listening to.

In just about every way, her story is the classic American immigrant's story. I get the sense she's sincere in being able to relate to what Jewish people went through in the Holocaust, just as she described feeling a connection to learning of African American history in public schools in Detroit. She doesn't flinch from the truth of what the Holocaust was about, doesn't deny it happened, or anything ridiculous like that. Her politics are unquestionably "progressive", but it's hard to sense her perspective is anything but genuine.
    Last edited by Ma'ake; 05-14-2019 at 06:46 PM.