Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

I just returned from a trip to Glacier National Park and a side trip for a few days to the Coeur d'Alene. while driving some backroads near Coeur d'Alene, we noticed a group of homes along the road and all of them had white crosses on the garage. Is that some white supremist sign?

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    This is by Joel Kotkin, who is what used to be called a New Democrat. Some encouraging demographic data here:
    I don't know except that area of the country is a hotbed for wackadoos, so it would surprise me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I just returned from a trip to Glacier National Park and a side trip for a few days to the Coeur d'Alene. while driving some backroads near Coeur d'Alene, we noticed a group of homes along the road and all of them had white crosses on the garage. Is that some white supremist sign?
    It has a long history with white supremacists.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.or...egion#stream/0

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    It has a long history with white supremacists.

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.or...egion#stream/0
    I think Sandpoint is kind of a haven for them, isn’t it? But I don’t know what the white crosses mean.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...ead-to-tsunami

House Republicans plotting to win back their majority in Congress fear they are on the brink of a massive wave of retirements that could force them to play defense in a high-stakes presidential election year.
    “There are going to be a lot more [retirements] to come,” said one consultant who works for House Republicans. “Between people finding themselves having to actually work hard for the first time in their long, lazy careers and members who came in in the majority and now hate life in the minority, it's just getting started.”

Trouble in paradise.

How Justin Trudeau Lost His Rock-Star Popularity

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-jus...s&page=1&pos=3

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Trouble in paradise.

How Justin Trudeau Lost His Rock-Star Popularity

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-jus...s&page=1&pos=3
    Can you summarize it for those of us who don't read Murdoch papers?

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Can you summarize it for those of us who don't read Murdoch papers?
    Justin Trudeau did little wrong in his supporters’ eyes during his first three years as Canada’s prime minister. In the fourth, his popularity has dropped so far his party may lose its majority in October elections.A secretly taped call is one reason why. Just before Christmas, Canadian Attorney General Jody Wilson-Raybould turned on her iPhone voice recorder for a call with the country’s top bureaucrat, Michael Wernick. Mr. Trudeau and senior officials had already pressed her and her chief aide 20 times in calls, messages and in person to let a major Canadian firm avoid a criminal trial on bribery and fraud charges. She had resisted.
    On the phone, Mr. Wernick said the company, SNC-Lavalin Group Inc., was considering selling itself or moving abroad, and Mr. Trudeau believed it should be given the chance to negotiate an out-of-court settlement.
    Mr. Wernick, unaware of the recording, said: “I think he is going to find a way to get it done.”
    Ms. Wilson-Raybould didn’t relent: “This is going to look like nothing but political interference by the prime minister, by you, by everybody else that has been involved in this.”

BTW, the Wall Street Journal's editorial pages have always been conservative. Its news coverage is quite reliable. I know this because sometimes it ticks me off.

--Yeats

BTW, the Wall Street Journal's editorial pages have always been conservative. Its news coverage is quite reliable. I know this because sometimes it ticks me off.
    That's how my dad discerns real news from "fake news".

‘Stay out of Boston,’ judge tells anti-Straight Pride protesters

Looks like they ticked the judge off. Never a smart thing to do.

--Yeats

"Anti-Straight"?

That's crazy confusing.

Trump fired National Security Advisor John Bolton.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Trump fired National Security Advisor John Bolton.
    The left hates Bolton. Will they now be sympathetic to him?

--Yeats

I will miss his mustache and experience, but that is about it (until Trump nominates someone worse).

I doubt it.

Although, the Sun Tzu quote of "The enemy of my enemy is my friend" does come to mind.

Still, it's hard to get past his war mongering.

All I can say is "Whew,we survived him." The man has no soul.

Andrew Sullivan is becoming a voice of reason about the New York Times 1619 project:

The New York Times Has Abandoned Liberalism for Activism

But the NYT chose a neo-Marxist rather than liberal path to make a very specific claim: that slavery is not one of many things that describe America’s founding and culture, it is the definitive one. Arguing that the “true founding” was the arrival of African slaves on the continent, period, is a bitter rebuke to the actual founders and Lincoln. America is not a messy, evolving, multicultural, religiously infused, Enlightenment-based, racist, liberating, wealth-generating kaleidoscope of a society. It’s white supremacy, which started in 1619, and that’s the key to understand all of it. America’s only virtue, in this telling, belongs to those who have attempted and still attempt to end this malign manifestation of white supremacy.

I don’t believe most African-Americans believe this, outside the elites. They’re much less doctrinaire than elite white leftists on a whole range of subjects. I don’t buy it either — alongside, I suspect, most immigrants, including most immigrants of color. Who would ever want to immigrate to such a vile and oppressive place? But it is extremely telling that this is not merely aired in the paper of record (as it should be), but that it is aggressively presented as objective reality. That’s propaganda, directed, as we now know, from the very top — and now being marched through the entire educational system to achieve a specific end. To present a truth as the truth is, in fact, a deception. And it is hard to trust a paper engaged in trying to deceive its readers in order for its radical reporters and weak editors to transform the world.
    http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/...-activism.html

--Yeats

Remember when Israel made a big stink about the AWACS planes we sold to Saudi Arabia? And all those F-15s we sold them?

I guess they're pretty good at killing US residents and chopping them up, but not so good at protecting their own key economic assets, on their soil, even though they have the tools to do so.

All this is forcing Trump to perform his inverse Teddy Roosevelt impression - talk loud, carry a small stick.

Everything We Know About the Drone Attacks on Saudi Oil Facilities:

https://theaviationist.com/2019/09/1...y5Ms5NCXFfLp88
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

It's as if our country is run by the editors of The Onion.

The White House accidentally emailed its Ukraine talking points to Nancy Pelosi

Here's a screenshot of the White House asking House Democrats to please disregard the talking points on Trump/Ukraine they just emailed

"It is very natural for people to look at circumstances and see them in a light that's most amenable to their maintaining power and doing things to preserve their power."

-- Senator Mitt Romney

"People change their viewpoint based off of how it affects their party, their position of power, where we are today. I think that quote illuminates the motivations of pretty much everyone involved."

-- Matt Canham, Salt Lake Tribune

https://www.kued.org/whatson/the-hin...Ax6nh5vDBLUlEo

An interesting discussion on KUED's The Hinckley Report.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

So, is there a timeline for this impeachment business? I'd love it to be successful for a number of reasons.

We should sue.

The Onion is back on point.

https://politics.theonion.com/gop-la...-of-1838885386

“After I watched the president slowly and methodically squeeze the life out of my wife’s body as she gasped, futilely, for breath, he gave me his personal assurance that he was not responsible for her death, so I continue to stand by this administration,” said Rep. Scott DesJarlais (R-TN),

Well, at least there is common ground.