Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Political/Cultural Chit-Chat

Supporters of John Quincy Adams accused Andrew Jackson of murder. Meanwhile, Jackson supporters were accusing Adams of procuring prostitutes for important people in Washington.

Politics has been this way since day one, though there have been ebbs and flows as Utebiquitous said.
    "It'd be nice to please everyone but I thought it would be more interesting to have a point of view." -- Oscar Levant

Quote Originally Posted by USS Utah View Post
    Supporters of John Quincy Adams accused Andrew Jackson of murder. Meanwhile, Jackson supporters were accusing Adams of procuring prostitutes for important people in Washington.

Politics has been this way since day one, though there have been ebbs and flows as Utebiquitous said.
    I blame George Washington. Without him there’s none of this nonsense.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Nice editorial cartoon about Bush 41’s passing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-...nl_most&wpmm=1

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Rudy Guiliani accidentally tweeted a link.

If you click on it, it is amazing.

SFW

Aha. It turns out that with the way he wrote the tweet (with no space between the "G20." and the "In", Twitter tried to interpret it as a link. it initially went to a page that didn't exist, so someone bought the domain and put the page up.

George H. W. Bush back in 1989 on whether he was too nice a guy to be president.

https://twitter.com/FaceTheNation/st...-r9qdS9ROwn6WA
    Last edited by LA Ute; 12-04-2018 at 12:14 PM.

--Yeats

Two random semi-political thoughts:

1. There is genuine affection for George HW Bush today in DC. Numerous churches dowtown are holding impromptu services for our past president. Nice to see.
    2. RBG is looking frailer than usual. I caught her at the high court recently, and she slumped our of view of the audience during the argument at times, either because she nodded off or didn't have the strength to hold herself up.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    These lifetime appointments are bonkers...and cruel.
    Attached Images Attached Images

So much for a "peaceful transfer of power" at the state level.

The GOP dominated houses of North Carolina, Michigan, and Wisconsin are rapidly trying to pass bills before the beginning of the year to strip power from the incoming Democratic Governor.

This is only going to get worse before it gets better.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

The GOP dominated houses of North Carolina, Michigan, and Wisconsin are rapidly trying to pass bills before the beginning of the year to strip power from the incoming Democratic Governor.

Don't they have state constitutions in those states? How does the legislative branch there limit the executive's powers?

--Yeats

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    Don't they have state constitutions in those states? How does the legislative branch there limit the executive's powers?
    They do, but it is being written by the legislature and signed by the governor. So by definition they are following the state constitution.

One branch is enabling the other branch to do a power grab because it won't be his problem.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post

It is political shenanigans like this that lead people to not vote or vote for any non-politician (i.e. Trump, Schwarzinegger, Ventura, etc.)

In Wisconsin and thanks to gerrymandering, the Republicans won 43% of the votes but they control 63% of the seats in the legislature. The situation is remarkably undemocratic, made even worse by legislatively removing power from the incoming governor and also from the state AG (by establishing a law that allows the legislature to hire outside counsel for specific, ongoing cases - including a gerrymandering case).

It could almost be considered a fascist take over.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post

OK. That's funny.
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Impressive display of flying under the radar by Mueller, these days:

- 3 significant court filings, some with more redactions than released text.

- New term: "political synergy" (nice way to steer clear of using "collusion")

Those who are following closely see the noose clearly tightening, and most (myself included, in the day-to-day stuff) have avoided following the general story.

Just about everyone I know is disengaged, we all needed a good post-election detox.

My hunch is Mueller is steadily pushing forward but keeping a low profile, mindful of the risk of a full-blown constitutional crisis, especially until the new House is seated.

If these guys find a way to screw up the bowl game, I'll be bent.

Quote Originally Posted by Ma'ake View Post
    Impressive display of flying under the radar by Mueller, these days:

- 3 significant court filings, some with more redactions than released text.

- New term: "political synergy" (nice way to steer clear of using "collusion")

Those who are following closely see the noose clearly tightening, and most (myself included, in the day-to-day stuff) have avoided following the general story.

Just about everyone I know is disengaged, we all needed a good post-election detox.

My hunch is Mueller is steadily pushing forward but keeping a low profile, mindful of the risk of a full-blown constitutional crisis, especially until the new House is seated.

If these guys find a way to screw up the bowl game, I'll be bent.
    I think Trump can hear the hounds closing in on his location. Expect all sorts of distracting craziness to ensue. (Maybe the dismissal of Kelly is the beginning).

It is pretty amusing to see a very Baghdad Bob-esque claim from Trump and Giuliani that these documents clear him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

France to Probe Possible Russian Influence on Yellow Vest Riots

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...low-vests-rage

I guess the 1980s are no longer asking to have their foreign policy back.

--Yeats

France to Probe Possible Russian Influence on Yellow Vest Riots

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...low-vests-rage

I guess the 1980s are no longer asking to have their foreign policy back.

What a stupid comment by Obama. How naive of him. Good thing your Republican administration sees Russia for what it is and has implemented a foreign policy to counter the threat.

p.s. at least Obama sanctioned Russia for the Ukraine and 2016 election interference.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    What a stupid comment by Obama. How naive of him. Good thing your Republican administration sees Russia for what it is and has implemented a foreign policy to counter the threat.

p.s. at least Obama sanctioned Russia for the Ukraine and 2016 election interference.
    Trump has made comments about Russia that are far more idiotic than Obama's debate statement.

--Yeats

Trump has made comments about Russia that are far more idiotic than Obama's debate statement.
    That said, Republicans and the punditry
    are not chortling over Trump’s stupid Russia statements the way Dems and pundits did over Obama’s debate comment, which was considered a masterful zinger.

--Yeats

are not chortling over Trump’s stupid Russia statements the way Dems and pundits did over Obama’s debate comment, which was considered a masterful zinger.
    We now see Obama's zinger as naïve.

44 former Senators (including 10 GOP) signed this open letter to the current Senate: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.5f4fdeda7128

(I think the ex-Senators are premature, but they may be correct in that things could move quickly and in a very bad direction.)

Anticipating the direction of the investigations is not precise, but one serious possibility is the NRA was infused with laundered money from Moscow.

Human nature is to rationalize your own behavior (especially if you didn't have ill intent).

How odd would it be if substantial parts of the right (including NRA members) push back against the (presumed) findings of the investigations, take a revisionist view of what we once viewed as "Freedom vs Communism", and essentially agree with Obama's naïve zinger?

"Russia's really not that bad, we should let Trump try to fix the unruly and dysfunctional parts of American society"

Right. The conservative punditry has the very high ground on this one. Who said what when and who gets blamed for it is so much more important than actually doing something about it. At least Obama did that. As Maake points out, many repubs, Trump, McConnell, the NRA are practically in bed with the Russians (and the Saudis).

Right. The conservative punditry has the very high ground on this one. Who said what when and who gets blamed for it is so much more important than actually doing something about it. At least Obama did that. As Maake points out, many repubs, Trump, McConnell, the NRA are practically in bed with the Russians (and the Saudis).
    What?! You’re believing Ma’ake instead of me? Scandalous!

--Yeats

What?! You’re believing Ma’ake instead of me? Scandalous!
    I am proud to consider myself Ma'ake's virtual comrade in arms. (choice of words may or may not be ironic; maybe I should have said brother in arms)

I am proud to consider myself Ma'ake's virtual comrade in arms. (choice of words may or may not be ironic; maybe I should have said brother in arms)
    A commie-Freudian slip.

--Yeats

A commie-Freudian slip.
    lol.

I'm not even sure the Rooskies use that phrase anymore.

Speaking of Rooskies, who can pinpoint this quote?

Survival kit contents check. In them you'll find: one forty-five caliber automatic; two boxes of ammunition; four days' concentrated emergency rations; one drug issue containing antibiotics, morphine, vitamin pills, pep pills, sleeping pills, tranquilizer pills; one miniature combination Russian phrase book and Bible; one hundred dollars in rubles; one hundred dollars in gold; nine packs of chewing gum; one issue of prophylactics; three lipsticks; three pair of nylon stockings. Shoot, a fella' could have a pretty good weekend in Vegas with all that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwestUteFan View Post
    https://youtu.be/vPwW7RaPO_g

Great scene, great movie!
    No other movie is in the same universe when it comes to Rooskie/Commie quotes.

I hope they find a motive for this atrocity. It’s often such a mystery.

“Witnesses said the suspect shouted ‘Allahu Akhbar’ as he fired at pedestrians and used his knife. According to Mr Heitz, Mr Chekatt has 27 previous convictions in Germany, Switzerland and France, and was placed on the terror watch-list while in prison in 2015 after he showed signs of radicalisation.” The London Telegraph reports that “France says it cannot ‘rule out’ that a suspected terrorist has fled to neighbouring Germany after killing at least two people and injuring 13 in the eastern French city of Strasbourg.”

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...t-run-killing/

--Yeats

It´s starting to look like this ¨deplatforming¨ tactic is not a left on right thing, but a far-left on everyone thing.

The protesters, who were organized by the Los Angeles Community Action Network and the Los Angeles chapter of the Democratic Socialists of America, resorted to shouting over Garcetti so that he could not continue his speech — a tactic known as “deplatforming” that has been commonly employed against speakers deemed controversial by campus activists.

As Garcetti tried to respond to each complaint individually, the protesters tried to drown him out by singing a revised rendition of “Santa Claus is Coming Town.”

“You better watch out, you better not cry, Eric Garcetti is telling us lies, human rights violations happening now,” they sang.

Garcetti tried to quiet the crowd by citing his first amendment rights, but was unsuccessful.“Do you respect 1st Amendment rights, do you?” Garcetti said to a one man who refused to listen to his response.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...during-speech/

--Yeats