Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The official NO. ILL. game thread

The official NO. ILL. game thread

Anyone know when they announce kickoff times? I'd love to arrange some things so that I am at this game, but it all depends on the start time. Help a brother out.

Quote Originally Posted by Applejack View Post
    Anyone know when they announce kickoff times? I'd love to arrange some things so that I am at this game, but it all depends on the start time. Help a brother out.
    With it being at NIU, they have the TV rights. I have no idea who their TV partners are, but I assume that would be a big influence on game time, and when game time is announced. So basically, I'm not help at all, brother.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    With it being at NIU, they have the TV rights. I have no idea who their TV partners are, but I assume that would be a big influence on game time, and when game time is announced. So basically, I'm not help at all, brother.
    NIU's home games last year ranged from untelevised to ESPN 3 to ESPN 2 to CBSSN. Of course, those games were played on all days of the week. This is a Saturday game. If it's relegated to ESPN3, someone owes us an apology. But we should be prepared for anything.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalPat View Post
    NIU's home games last year ranged from untelevised to ESPN 3 to ESPN 2 to CBSSN. Of course, those games were played on all days of the week. This is a Saturday game. If it's relegated to ESPN3, someone owes us an apology. But we should be prepared for anything.
    These are very helpful non-answers. When are they likely to announce a kickoff time? One week before is unacceptable! The people deserve to know!

These are very helpful non-answers. When are they likely to announce a kickoff time? One week before is unacceptable! The people deserve to know!
    My best guess is sometime between noon and 10 PM eastern for the kickoff.

What are we doing playing a program like that on the road? Risky, little to gain and much to lose. Seems like a screw up.
    One thing I have learned in a long life: that all our science, measured against reality, is primitive and childlike -- and yet it is the most precious thing we have.

--Albert Einstein

The fact that life evolved out of nearly nothing, some 10 billion years after the universe evolved out of literally nothing, is a fact so staggering that I would be mad to attempt words to do it justice.

--Richard Dawkins

Be kind to all, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.

--Philo

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleUte View Post
    What are we doing playing a program like that on the road? Risky, little to gain and much to lose. Seems like a screw up.
    No doubt about it: you schedule p5 opponents or home cupcakes. It's really simple.

5:30 MT Applejack, just posted to the twitters - all of em.

https://twitter.com/utahathletics/st...69527881662464

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post

The great thing about being on ESPNews is that there won’t be anything important on before it to interfere with the broadcast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uggh. That makes catching a flight back to DC on Saturday close to impossible

Uggh. That makes catching a flight back to DC on Saturday close to impossible
    Something tells me you could probably safely leave mid third quarter.

Something tells me you could probably safely leave mid third quarter.
    I don't know if northern Illinois is that kind of team.

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    My best guess is sometime between noon and 10 PM eastern for the kickoff.
    Swish!!

Quote Originally Posted by UtahsMrSports View Post
    Swish!!
    Once again UMS's sources come through.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

So this is going to be our Husky dress rehearsal before opening night a week later?

Vegas has the line at -10.5, which seems low after losing to Iowa by 26. ESPN gives us a 77% odds of winning.

Weather could be an issue with the tropical storm remains of Gordon headed in the DeKalb general direction.

I can't come up with anything else interesting to say about this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Schr-Ute View Post
    So this is going to be our Husky dress rehearsal before opening night a week later?

Vegas has the line at -10.5, which seems low after losing to Iowa by 26. ESPN gives us a 77% odds of winning.

Weather could be an issue with the tropical storm remains of Gordon headed in the DeKalb general direction.

I can't come up with anything else interesting to say about this game.
    They've got a Defensive End that seems to be getting some attention (#15). It looked like Iowa essentially wore them down after it being just 3-0 at the half. Their radio guy said that the belief there going into the season was that Utah would be their toughest game in the non-conference schedule, which includes Iowa, Florida St., and BYU, so that is interesting.

When Kyle was asked why the game was scheduled he said: "Don't ask me, I don't schedule these games." He seemed just as puzzled as the rest of us.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

that is one odd looking Husky

Quote Originally Posted by Scorcho View Post
    that is one odd looking Husky

I'm a little more worried at seeing 17 starters return, 9 on offense. This is a team that fully expected to score more points than it did against Iowa. We need to keep their stud defensive end out of our backfield, run the ball early, often and successfully, while wearing them down like Iowa did. It won't be sexy, but as long as we're not careless with the football, we should win and cover.

This game petrifies me. On the road, against a team hungry to show up the "big-boys" (how did we get in this category?), a week before the UW game, this has TRAP GAME written all over it. Whoever scheduled this game should be fired. If you are going to play a non-P5 on the road, it better (a) be a cupcake (ala BYU) and (b) be in a recruiting area. DeKalb is just a mistake.

This game petrifies me. On the road, against a team hungry to show up the "big-boys" (how did we get in this category?), a week before the UW game, this has TRAP GAME written all over it. Whoever scheduled this game should be fired. If you are going to play a non-P5 on the road, it better (a) be a cupcake (ala BYU) and (b) be in a recruiting area. DeKalb is just a mistake.
    I think all this is true, but I also think this is a good year for Utah football. If you are going to make a scheduling mistake, it's good to make it when the team is legit. We'll get out of DeKalb okay.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think all this is true, but I also think this is a good year for Utah football. If you are going to make a scheduling mistake, it's good to make it when the team is legit. We'll get out of DeKalb okay.
    But the win will get us bupkis. Should have scheduled a legit opponent.

I hope we never go into Big 10 country again without playing a Big 10 opponent. AJ makes a great point about it not being a recruiting area. I don't necessarily mind this if it's a P5 opponent.

But the win will get us bupkis. Should have scheduled a legit opponent.
    When the game was scheduled NIU looked similar to the way UCF did last year.

Imagine if we were going to play Iowa and wave at the kids instead of playing NIU. Now THAT would be a fantastic road trip!

https://athlonsports.com/college-foo...ion-picks-2018

I’m curious if this guy has watched a single down of Utah Football

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

I listened to an interview with their coach, and he commented that he and Kyle both coach the same way: tough defense, stop the run, run the ball.

If they're going to try and beat Utah at Utah's game, Utah will win by 4 touchdowns. Utah has a good record against teams who try to play us like that (Stanford, Alabama, Michigan, etc). the only team that plays that style that Utah has a hard time with is USC. Duh. Hard to imagine.

The best way to beat us is to spread us out (ASU, Wazzu, Arizona, Oregon).

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post

I found this funny:

“ Utah’s defense, particularly the defensive line, doesn't appear to be as physical as Iowa's at first glance.”

I am sure that Kyle already has that posted on the locker room wall. I kind of feel sorry for NIU if Kyle pulls out the old Joe Glenn game plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    I found this funny:

“ Utah’s defense, particularly the defensive line, doesn't appear to be as physical as Iowa's at first glance.”

I am sure that Kyle already has that posted on the locker room wall. I kind of feel sorry for NIU if Kyle pulls out the old Joe Glenn game plan.
    I checked out the writers twitter.

He admitted he didn’t even watch the Weber State game and has watched a “handful” of Utah games over the years.

He’s basing his take, according to him, on Utah rarely facing a good running opponent since everyone the the Pac-12 throws the football far more.

He plays to his core audience, and drove some clicks I guess. Good for him, but I doubt stuff like this gets him off the traffic desk.