Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789101112 LastLast

Thread: Brett Kavenaugh Supreme Court Nomination

One of my law partners who is a dear friend has a nephew who is a sophomore at Occidental College here in Los Angeles. He wrote this short essay, which I think is remarkable.

Men suck and other lessons from an uncontrolled Myconian beach rave

http://www.theoccidentalnews.com/opi...h-rave/2893836

I went in to the piece not knowing what to expect — was I going to read another virtue-signaling essay from an idealistic college kid with no real life experience?

Nope. This is good. I am impressed by his humility, maturity, and open- mindedness. He is only 20 years old. The closing is powerful:

“But if we can make this step — if we can make it so that to be masculine and powerful is to stand up for what’s right and not to take advantage of others — then we as men will no longer have to worry if the ‘right thing’ to say to a man is the socially acceptable thing to say because the two will be equivalent.”

It seems to me that masculinity is not the problem, it’s what kind of masculinity one espouses. IMO, “Bad” masculinity has been responsible for most of the horrible things that have happened throughout history, and that are still happening. “Good” masculinity is a big part of the good things that have happened. Maybe we just need better men.

As for Kavanaugh, there is too much to say and I’m not even going to try. At bottom, I do wonder what this means for public service. How far back in someone’s life are we going to go? What kind of youthful misbehavior are we going to accuse someone of, based on nothing but recollections from those who knew him and maybe liked him or didn’t like him? What have we done to the presumption of innocence? I have a daughter, and 80% of the group I lead at my firm is composed of women whose careers I have been promoting for many years now. I wonder: Has the MeToo movement crossed a line, so that now the obvious need for support for and sympathy for women who have been abused turns into something like what Beria said: “Show me the man and I’ll show you the crime“?

Big questions. I hope we do something close to finding answers to them. Right now there is not a lot of discussion going on in this country about these issues. People are mainly yelling at each other.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    You're just as incorrigible as you were in high school.
    Are you in curmudgeon mode?

How far back in someone’s life are we going to go? What kind of youthful misbehavior are we going to accuse someone of, based on nothing but recollections from those who knew him and maybe liked him or didn’t like him?
    The future for our youth is a permanent digital record of all of their youthful indiscretions carefully catalogued and curated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Are you in curmudgeon mode?
    No, but when I am you'll know it.

angry smiley.jpg

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Orrin Hatch weighs in (what a surprise):

A notable shift occurred in the left’s anti-Kavanaugh campaign over the weekend. Attention has turned away from Christine Blasey Ford’s allegations of sexual assault—the entire reason for last week’s hearing and the ensuing delay in Judge Brett Kavanaugh’s confirmation vote—and toward his behavior at the hearing.

We’re starting to see arguments like the following: Even if Judge Kavanaugh is innocent, what he said at the hearing, and how he said it, is disqualifying.

This is rich. The hearing occurred in the first place only because of Democratic duplicity. It occurred only because Senate Democrats sat on Ms. Ford’s allegations for six weeks rather than referring them to committee investigators, as they should have done immediately. It occurred only because Ms. Ford’s lawyers—recommended to Ms. Ford by Senate Democrats—refused to tell their client of our invitation to testify privately in California, as she said she preferred.

That Judge Kavanaugh had the temerity to defend himself vigorously is now being counted as a strike against him. Over and over we hear him described as “angry,” “belligerent” or “partisan,” followed by the claim that his conduct at the hearing shows that he lacks a judicial temperament. Even “Saturday Night Live” got in on the action.

You’ve got to be kidding me. Do the people making this argument really expect a man who until five seconds ago had an unblemished reputation to sit passively while his reputation is viciously and permanently destroyed? While he is accused of the most horrific and obscene acts imaginable? Judge Kavanaugh’s critics seem to be aghast that he is a human being who is unwilling to take slander lying down.
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/brett-k...ger-1538519713

--Yeats

Brett Kavenaugh Supreme Court Nomination

Ross Douthat wrote this. It’s a very interesting piece, and describes a world I just don’t know. I recommend it, although it’s only tangentially about the Kavanaugh mess.

The Meritocracy Against Itself
    How Ivy League resentments took over the Kavanaugh debate.

“So the story Miller is telling is about how a jock from the No. 5 private high school in Maryland was a jerk to his roommate who went to the No. 2 private high school in Connecticut, and who years later communicated the story to a reporter who also went to that same No. 2 private high school, who then wrote it up as a tale of social stratification for our times....

“But people also need to recognize that the ‘profile’ we’re being given of Kavanaugh — a creature of privilege who drank a lot in college and sometimes struck other people as a jerk — isn’t the narrow profile of a rapist, and isn’t even the somewhat more expansive profile of a particular kind of arrogant preppy. It’s a profile that fits many of the same people attacking him today — and so part of what we’re watching is one group of meritocrats returning to their undergraduate resentments and trying to pin on Georgetown Prep graduates the vices that define our entire depressing class.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/03/o...ritocracy.html

--Yeats

OK, after this I promise to shut up about Cavanaugh for a while. I just had to share this one, however. It is a joint piece written by Frank Bruni and Ross Douthat, the two most thoughtful columnists at the New York Times, IMO. Bruni’s liberal, Douthat is conservative. But they’re not yellers.

What Has Brett Kavanaugh Done to Us?

[i]No matter what the F.B.I. finds, he will color the midterms, 2020, institutional trust and partisan warfare going forward.[/B]

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/02/o...pgtype=Article

--Yeats

Orrin Hatch weighs in (what a surprise):
    Again, there is a double standard here on outrage. For a long time now, I've been told that outrage is a virtue. That's certainly the unofficial Twitter motto. Now it's a vice?

Anyway, I don't think anger is a good thing. If the accusations are false, anger is understandable. Understandable, but not right or righteous. We'd all be better off without our outrage, even in the face of injustice.

ou’ve got to be kidding me. Do the people making this argument really expect a man who until five seconds ago had an unblemished reputation to sit passively while his reputation is viciously and permanently destroyed? While he is accused of the most horrific and obscene acts imaginable? Judge Kavanaugh’s critics seem to be aghast that he is a human being who is unwilling to take slander lying down.
    Putting this quote in the context of one of your previous messages, the answer is a resounding yes.

The bro-masculinity culture would disagree, but lashing out is not an appropriate response. Calm, collected dispute is.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Putting this quote in the context of one of your previous messages, the answer is a resounding yes.

The bro-masculinity culture would disagree, but lashing out is not an appropriate response. Calm, collected dispute is.
    To be clear, as I watched Kavanaugh’s testimony I winced at his highly emotional demeanor and I think he should have dialed that down. I also think he should have asked someone less emotionally involved to review and comment on his remarks before he gave them.

That said, I think it is intellectually and morally repugnant to beat up on him for his emotional response, and to suggest that it has anything to do with anything. The guy was slimed in the worst way imaginable — sexual assault, indecent exposure, gang rape (!). For the people who did that, or who condoned it, or who sat idly by, somewhat happily, as it took place, now to attack him for not having the appropriate “temperament“ because of his angry response, strikes me as morally questionable, at best, and outright despicable at worst. (I’m not talking about you.). They provoke someone in the most extreme way imaginable, then they attack him for becoming angry? Really?

--Yeats

To be clear, as I watched Kavanaugh’s testimony I winced at his highly emotional demeanor and I think he should have dialed that down. I also think he should have asked someone less emotionally involved to review and comment on his remarks before he gave them.

That said, I think it is intellectually and morally repugnant to beat up on him for his emotional response, and to suggest that it has anything to do with anything. The guy was slimed in the worst way imaginable — sexual assault, indecent exposure, gang rape (!). For the people who did that, or who condoned it, or who sat idly by, somewhat happily, as it took place, now to attack him for not having the appropriate “temperament“ because of his angry response, strikes me as morally questionable, at best, and outright despicable at worst. (I’m not talking about you.). They provoke someone in the most extreme way imaginable, then they attack him for becoming angry? Really?
    Isn’t that a standard defense attorney tactic?

Quote Originally Posted by Diehard Ute View Post
    Isn’t that a standard defense attorney tactic?
    No fair changing the subject.
    Last edited by LA Ute; 10-03-2018 at 03:23 PM.

--Yeats

Yes. We expect more of our highest court. They will be under a lot of scrutiny and political pressure for the rest of their lives. We need to know how they handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Yes. We expect more of our highest court. They will be under a lot of scrutiny and political pressure for the rest of their lives. We need to know how they handle it.
    I still see no need to confirm this guy. Moving on to some other judge could be a win for everyone.

That said, I suspect Kavanaugh's performance was calculated/strategic rather than an actual inability to control his emotions. I don't know, though. I didn't watch.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I still see no need to confirm this guy. Moving on to some other judge could be a win for everyone.

That said, I suspect Kavanaugh's performance was calculated/strategic rather than an actual inability to control his emotions. I don't know, though. I didn't watch.
    I suspect you are right. I would imagine that he and his team had a couple of strategies, based on how Christine Blasey-Ford's testimony went. If they felt they could refute what she said, the would have a reasoned, measured response. But if she had presented an emotional, convincing testimony, he would counter with his own emotional response.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    I suspect you are right. I would imagine that he and his team had a couple of strategies, based on how Christine Blasey-Ford's testimony went. If they felt they could refute what she said, the would have a reasoned, measured response. But if she had presented an emotional, convincing testimony, he would counter with his own emotional response.
    I watched most of both testimonies - I've seen people on the left describe Kavanaugh as basically unhinged at worst and his conduct unbecoming of the Supreme Court at best and certainly a disqualifier. I didn't see it that way personally. People I talk to on the right saw it as admirable and righteous indignation. I didn't see it that way either.

I've thought that if he came out and was meek about it, or calm that partisans would then declare that he was indifferent and that likely displayed his guilt because he felt no anger, or even remorse. I dunno, it is all pretty silly. If he had dialed it down about two notches it probably would have been best for him. Be determined and forceful and even a little bit angry, but not really angry. The same, if he is innocent it is hard to blame him for pointing out the hatchet job being done on him. And guilty or innocent, there is really no other way to frame it - I have enjoyed reading Feinstein comment on appropriate conduct. I'm still befuddled that she has escaped criticism on this, particularly from assault victim advocates. As others have said, nothing about this will embolden women to come forward - in fact it may have set it back a number of years.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocker Ute View Post
    I'm still befuddled that she has escaped criticism on this, particularly from assault victim advocates.
    She has not escaped criticism, though. She is getting criticized by her political opponents and supported by her political allies. Nothing could be more predictable.

It would be a win for the Democrats, whose goal is to stop Kavanaugh’s confirmation. If Trump has to nominate someone else that person would probably not be confirmed until next year, when the Dems might have control of the Senate. That’s what the whole brouhaha is all about.

--Yeats

Remember my joke about the left aligning with Trump on the credibility of the FBI?

Sen. Bob Menendez (D., N.J.): "If that's an investigation, it's a bullshit investigation."

https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/kavanaugh?mod=mhp

More to come I'm sure.

It would be a win for the Democrats, whose goal is to stop Kavanaugh’s confirmation. If Trump has to nominate someone else that person would probably not be confirmed until next year, when the Dems might have control of the Senate. That’s what the whole brouhaha is all about.
    Is that true? Why couldn't the next nominee be confirmed sooner than next year? I keep asking about rules/timelines, but I haven't heard an answer. Why not just fast track someone? Nominate, announce that the confirmation hearings will take place in 1 week and that the vote will occur the next day.

Anyway, if a fast track is not possible, I agree with you; only the democrats win. If it is possible, though, everyone wins. Republicans, democrats, and the nation that neither party cares about.

Maybe we should wait for the next president....oh wait

Is that true? Why couldn't the next nominee be confirmed sooner than next year? I keep asking about rules/timelines, but I haven't heard an answer. Why not just fast track someone? Nominate, announce that the confirmation hearings will take place in 1 week and that the vote will occur the next day.

Anyway, if a fast track is not possible, I agree with you; only the democrats win. If it is possible, though, everyone wins. Republicans, democrats, and the nation that neither party cares about.
    Once the president puts forth a nominee, they have to vet the nominee. Kavanagh was nominated in early July. The FBI does an investigation of the person and provides that information to the judiciary committee. That all takes time. Then the committee submits questions to the nominee to answer in writing. Kavanagh received 1,278 written questions from senators, and submitted a 263 page written response. Then there are the hearings, which didn't begin until early September, two months after the nomination.

There is just no way to get all of that done before the election. And no way in the current climate that they would be able to circumvent any of that.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisrenrut View Post
    Once the president puts forth a nominee, they have to vet the nominee. Kavanagh was nominated in early July. The FBI does an investigation of the person and provides that information to the judiciary committee. That all takes time. Then the committee submits questions to the nominee to answer in writing. Kavanagh received 1,278 written questions from senators, and submitted a 263 page written response. Then there are the hearings, which didn't begin until early September, two months after the nomination.

There is just no way to get all of that done before the election. And no way in the current climate that they would be able to circumvent any of that.
    I get that. I want to know what the written, explicit rules are. Could the committee force things through? Is the FBI investigation a law or a tradition? Are the written questions from senators a law or a tradition?

Yup. It's not about Kavanaugh. It's about a conservative judge and how skewered the process has become over the past 30 years. That's why we're all beating out heads against a wall.

Found this quote today in an article I read:

'...in power battles, the question that matters most is not 'What is the truth?' It is instead: 'What side are you on?'"'

Is it talking about the current Kavanaugh scandal? Nope, it is a 20 year anniversary reflection on Bill Clinton's impeachment and how that has affected politics today. It was also written in August - before the current SCOTUS scandal - and seems remarkably on point.

https://www.heraldtribune.com/opinio...itical-scandal

I don't know why no one in the Senate has proposed this approach to deciding whether Dr. Ford or Judge Kavanaugh is telling the truth:

--Yeats

Collins, Flake and Manchin, Yea. Murkowski, Nay. That's 51-49 in favor of Kavanaugh. Everyone understand the same?
    “Children and dogs are as necessary to the welfare of the country as Wall Street and the railroads.” -- Harry S. Truman

"You never soar so high as when you stoop down to help a child or an animal." -- Jewish Proverb

"Three-time Pro Bowler Eric Weddle the most versatile, and maybe most intelligent, safety in the game." -- SI, 9/7/15, p. 107.

Quote Originally Posted by mUUser View Post
    Collins, Flake and Manchin, Yea. Murkowski, Nay. That's 51-49 in favor of Kavanaugh. Everyone understand the same?
    That's how the New York Times is reporting it.

Collins and Manchin Will Vote for Kavanaugh, All but Ensuring His Confirmation

Last edited by LA Ute; 10-05-2018 at 10:40 PM.

--Yeats

Here's a good editorial by David Brooks. I'm not sure it adds anything new, but he describes it well.
    Everyone comes out of this badly.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/o...e=sectionfront

Quote Originally Posted by Irving Washington View Post
    Here's a good editorial by David Brooks. I'm not sure it adds anything new, but he describes it well.
    Everyone comes out of this badly.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/04/o...e=sectionfront
    Very good.

--Yeats