Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

Hybrid View

A different breed of Husky: Washington at Utah, 2018

If this Seattle Times writer is right, there may be hope for the Utes:

Don’t let the score fool you: UW Huskies have plenty of work to do

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/...of-work-to-do/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by LA Ute; 09-10-2018 at 10:12 AM.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
    --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

"Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold."
    --Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

--John W. Davis, founder of Davis Polk & Wardwell

A different breed indeed. At least this week's Huskies know how to spell.

Huskie.jpg

Frankly, I think NIU has a fantastic team. In the end, they gave us some things to think about.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Frankly, I think NIU has a fantastic team. In the end, they gave us some things to think about.
    I'll watch NIU the rest of this season. If they do really well then our very average performance against them will look a lot better.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

--Yeats

“True, we [lawyers] build no bridges. We raise no towers. We construct no engines. We paint no pictures - unless as amateurs for our own principal amusement. There is little of all that we do which the eye of man can see. But we smooth out difficulties; we relieve stress; we correct mistakes; we take up other men's burdens and by our efforts we make possible the peaceful life of men in a peaceful state.”

Quote Originally Posted by LA Ute View Post
    I'll watch NIU the rest of this season. If they do really well then our very average performance against them will look a lot better.
    Their game in Provo will be telling.

Just rewatched the first 20 minutes of the game which I missed because I sometimes have to work. I really watch differently when the outcome is not in doubt. The offensive issues have been discussed but I think there are some things that need tightenening up on D as well.

- Jaylon Johnson: Northern Illinois had a game plan to exploit JJ. Maybe they saw something in the game film about JJ or they were just scared of Blackmon, but they made a conscious effort to consistently attack Jaylon's side. And it worked too. He got beat bad in coverage and his man was wide open for what would have been a 50+ yard TD. Fortunately for us the ball was overthrown. But, that play and others made me question JJ's coverage skills. I know that he is a true sophmore, but those kind of mistakes will kill us against any number of QBs. On the positive side, he was great against the run and snuffed out a couple of screen passes.
    - Cody Barton: He has really grown into the position and is a key component of our defense. But too often he got caught with his eyes in the backfield on the read option. Too often he's rushing in to make a play on the RB before the QB has given up the rock. For teams that really run the read option well, this will be exploited.

- The D-Line: I liked what I saw from the defensive line. They got gashed some at the start and then they pushed back. They have a good amount of nastiness to them. Tafua has been a really nice pickup so far.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    Their game in Provo will be telling.
    We'll need to revisit this, but I'm predicting an O-U in that game of 45 or less, which is something you don't see a lot of in CFB.

388th Fighter Wing doing an F-35A flyover during pregame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, I think UW was ready for the screen to Covey.

So many opportunities...

Quote Originally Posted by Sullyute View Post
    So many opportunities...
    Nobody making plays, too many people making mistakes. 7 points won’t win us many games.

--Yeats

Turnovers and drops killed us today. Even the fumble after the interception by Tonga, while not a turnover, prevented a touchdown.
    Last edited by chrisrenrut; 09-15-2018 at 11:10 PM.
    “To me there is no dishonor in being wrong and learning. There is dishonor in willful ignorance and there is dishonor in disrespect.” James Hatch, former Navy Seal and current Yale student.

Well, we said we’d know more after the Washington game. So what do we know now?

--Yeats

targeting-targeting-fumble-fumble-fumble-miss-drop-holding-game over

Each one a critical mistake/call. It's a shame. UW was ripe for the taking tonight.

targeting - gave them life when they were pinned back
    targeting - took away an interception
    lost fumbles - both on 1st down conversions
    fumble/miss/drop - cost us a TD
    holding - turned a first and goal into a game over

I'm gonna give it a little time before I dig into this one, but I think it is totally fair to take a look at the other QBs during the bye week. I know the o-line has had problems, I know the WRs have dropped the ball, but at the end of the game it became a safety issue for the WRs with where Tyler was placing the ball.
    “It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress.”

Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    I'm gonna give it a little time before I dig into this one, but I think it is totally fair to take a look at the other QBs during the bye week. I know the o-line has had problems, I know the WRs have dropped the ball, but at the end of the game it became a safety issue for the WRs with where Tyler was placing the ball.
    The good news is that UW is as good as any defense we'll see this season.

Covey taking hard hits is always going to be a thing. He's small, and he doesn't shy away from contact.

The drops were huge, as always.

It sure seemed like the offense quit after the holding penalty. I didn't like the body language of anyone from that point on.

I imagine there will be a lot of calls for Tuttle. If we switch, I guess now is the time, since we have a bye and then play a normal defense instead of a great one. If we do stay with Huntley, I hope we really think about the called QB runs. I don't know if we need to tweak something or just ditch them altogether, but they haven't been effective through three games.

I am baffled about what Troy Taylor is doing? We had one drive where Moss got the ball, that was the one drive where we scored. UW has a great secondary, why were constantly throwing the ball?

Quote Originally Posted by DrumNFeather View Post
    issue for the WRs with where Tyler was placing the ball.
    Is the idea that Huntley is throwing it to late?

Did I miss something? Where was Siosi Mariner? He had been playing really well.

Quote Originally Posted by U-Ute View Post
    Did I miss something? Where was Siosi Mariner? He had been playing really well.
    I think he's the one who laid out that LB on Huntley's big scramble. Am I wrong? In general, we went from 10+ guys with receptions to just 6.

Quote Originally Posted by sancho View Post
    I think he's the one who laid out that LB on Huntley's big scramble. Am I wrong? In general, we went from 10+ guys with receptions to just 6.
    You're right; he was.

It’s too early to declare Tyler Huntley a failure and anticipate a transfer to a lower level to where he can be successful. But it’s not too late to see what we’ve got with Tuttle and Shelley. Quite frankly, if I were Kyle, I would literally list everyone offensive player on the next depth chart and throw up an open competition for the entire unit.

I've got a novel idea. We should give the ball to our best player more than 12 times. I know it sounds crazy
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Quote Originally Posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
    I've got a novel idea. We should give the ball to our best player more than 12 times. I know it sounds crazy
    He was 6-35 on the touchdown drive, 7-32 the rest of the way. Sure seems like more carries were needed. I don't know how much his injury played a role.

On TV, did replay show Ty Jones in bounds? On the scoreboard it sure looked like his knee was out. I was shocked they overturned.

Quote Originally Posted by concerned View Post
    On TV, did replay show Ty Jones in bounds? On the scoreboard it sure looked like his knee was out. I was shocked they overturned.
    Yes, it was clear.

I have tried to figure out our offensive identity for 16 games now and I still have no clue. I told my wife as we walked to our car after the game that I thought that was the biggest problem. The first interview we hear when arriving at our car was Covey. When asked what he thought the problem was, he said that the offense has no identity. I believe that is the biggest problem facing the offense right now. We as fans don't know what the identity is and it sounds like the players don't either. The lack of identity causes us to flounder. On the second to last possession of the first half, we had 2nd and 2 at mid-field after an 8 yard run on first down. Instead of running the ball, we throw a 10 yard out to the sidelines that is overthrown, leaving us in 3rd and 2. We then take our best option and line him up as far away from the ball as possible and try a QB run up the middle that gets stuffed. Lack of an identity.

There are a lot of failures in execution that hurt this offense. Dropped passes and inconsistency at OL and QB. However, the biggest problem, IMO, is lack of identity, and nothing will get better until the coaches figure out what we want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post
    I have tried to figure out our offensive identity for 16 games now and I still have no clue. I told my wife as we walked to our car after the game that I thought that was the biggest problem. The first interview we hear when arriving at our car was Covey. When asked what he thought the problem was, he said that the offense has no identity. I believe that is the biggest problem facing the offense right now. We as fans don't know what the identity is and it sounds like the players don't either. The lack of identity causes us to flounder. On the second to last possession of the first half, we had 2nd and 2 at mid-field after an 8 yard run on first down. Instead of running the ball, we throw a 10 yard out to the sidelines that is overthrown, leaving us in 3rd and 2. We then take our best option and line him up as far away from the ball as possible and try a QB run up the middle that gets stuffed. Lack of an identity.

There are a lot of failures in execution that hurt this offense. Dropped passes and inconsistency at OL and QB. However, the biggest problem, IMO, is lack of identity, and nothing will get better until the coaches figure out what we want to be.
    100% agree with this. As I walked to my car last night after the game, this is all I could talk about with a friend of mine that came to the game with me. Utah has zero identity on offense. No idea what Troy's philosophy is and until then, we will be a bad offensive team like we are. I think as a fan, last night was the most angry I have ever been after a loss.

Quote Originally Posted by UTEopia View Post

One hard thing is that we're always frustratingly close. Even with the abysmal performance last night, we were close to having a coherent offense. Every loss is like this. We're always a call, a bounce, a drop, etc away from winning. If we were never close, it would be easy to say we'll scrap it all and start from scratch (like BYU under Detmer). The fact that it always feels like we are almost there makes it harder to know what to do.

I do think we need to go downfield a few more times per game, we need to feed Moss more, and we need to either fix or scrap the option. One more thing - Huntley is average at best at pretty much everything except for throwing on the run. He's as good as anyone at throwing on the run. We need to get him moving more often. The perfect throw that was dropped had Huntley rolling right.

Here are a couple of insightful posts from a guy who goes by CityUte on UF.net:

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?...message1923781

https://www.utefans.net/message.php?...message1923777

--Yeats